AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   Takeda SRI noob confusion (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/takeda-sri-noob-confusion-977905/)

thedoc_himself 03-12-2019 03:14 PM

Takeda SRI noob confusion

Hey y'all.

2012 TL SH-AWD. No mods. Looking to add the Takeda intake. I've seen in some threads that it will cause a drop in low end torque and that it will need a tune to run efficiently but others that have no complaints, notice nice power gains and nothing specific about a tune. Just bolt in and go. I understand fuel economy will suffer if my foot is always in it but I'm sure it won't be badly affected at highway speeds with cruise control? I have been impressed with the car's fuel economy on the highway since I work 8 hours away from home.

Anything I should worry about in terms of check engine lights, tuning, drawbacks in general if I were to just add the intake alone? Thanks in advance!

losiglow 03-12-2019 03:25 PM

I've never used the Takeda but I doubt you'll have any troubles. It has a spot for the MAF and as far as the car is concerned, it's getting air just fine. I personally think air intakes are about 90% perception and 10% science anyways. If the car is getting air then it's happy.

Give it a go and let us know how it works.

thedoc_himself 03-12-2019 03:58 PM

Thanks for the insight. I'm sure it'll be fine.

coldb 03-13-2019 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by thedoc_himself (Post 16396942)
Hey y'all.

2012 TL SH-AWD. No mods. Looking to add the Takeda intake.

I just purchased one for my '10 AWD 6MT.

I like it a lot. Vtec has a nice rumble. I don't notice any power drop in the low-end whatsoever. I feel there is likely a hp increase at higher RPM, but not verified as to how much.

Blaze9 03-13-2019 09:57 AM

There is 100% A low-end drop in power, and pretty sure there is a good gain for higher RPMs. Honestly I love mine just for the sound, couldn't care less if it gains anything. Sue me :P

horseshoez 03-13-2019 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Blaze9 (Post 16397289)
There is 100% A low-end drop in power, and pretty sure there is a good gain for higher RPMs. Honestly I love mine just for the sound, couldn't care less if it gains anything. Sue me :P

That and the additional drop in low and mid-range torque during hot weather. If someone is buying one for the sound, that makes sense, what I don't understand is someone buying it for the "extra power", I mean, how often do you drive around with the RPMs of the engine bouncing off the rev-limiter?

KarKraze 03-13-2019 06:47 PM

People experiences vary, some feels it adds power, some felt they lost power, some get various CEL which went away after reverting to the Stock Intake.

Buy it for the sound, if that is what you are after, the car will sound great and some people equate that with increased power.

I had it and while it sounded good, it absolutely sucked during the warm Summer months. The heat soak is real and I sold it after the first Summer.

The best Intake for optimum performance is the Stock one.

JT4 03-14-2019 06:29 AM

I've had the Takeda on the TL for at least four years, not one issue.. As far as adding power, IME not so much but it does sound good when you get on it..

dopeboy1 03-14-2019 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16397312)
That and the additional drop in low and mid-range torque during hot weather. If someone is buying one for the sound, that makes sense, what I don't understand is someone buying it for the "extra power", I mean, how often do you drive around with the RPMs of the engine bouncing off the rev-limiter?

You'd be surprised:chuckle:

Blaze9 03-18-2019 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16398104)
You'd be surprised:chuckle:

Gotta activate that VTEC yo!!!:zoom:

thedoc_himself 03-19-2019 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by KarKraze (Post 16397674)
People experiences vary, some feels it adds power, some felt they lost power, some get various CEL which went away after reverting to the Stock Intake.

Buy it for the sound, if that is what you are after, the car will sound great and some people equate that with increased power.

I had it and while it sounded good, it absolutely sucked during the warm Summer months. The heat soak is real and I sold it after the first Summer.

The best Intake for optimum performance is the Stock one.

Ugh that head soak that I keep hearing about. Damn it. Whatever I'm still gonna give it a try. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky folks who get away with it.

losiglow 03-19-2019 10:11 AM

Well, it's not likely that you'll be lucky enough to defy physics. However, I can say that I don't seem to notice heat soak as much in the 4G as I did my old 3G. I'm not sure why that is, or if it's just perception. Maybe it's the use of a MAF vs. MAP sensor which is used on the J32 in the 3G. Either way, it may not be as bad as some say. No way of knowing until you try I guess. And if it sucks, put it up for sale here on Azine and reinstall your stock intake.

thedoc_himself 03-19-2019 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 16400198)
Well, it's not likely that you'll be lucky enough to defy physics. However, I can say that I don't seem to notice heat soak as much in the 4G as I did my old 3G. I'm not sure why that is, or if it's just perception. Maybe it's the use of a MAF vs. MAP sensor which is used on the J32 in the 3G. Either way, it may not be as bad as some say. No way of knowing until you try I guess. And if it sucks, put it up for sale here on Azine and reinstall your stock intake.

Copy that. I'll definitely be keeping my stock intake around just in case *sweating laughing face emoji*

Blaze9 03-19-2019 10:39 AM

I don't think the heat soak is as bad as everyone says it is. I drive my car year round and this is around the third year I'll have the SRI. I don't really see a performance difference between summer or winter that is indicitive of crazy amounts of heat soak. There is a foam piece that touches the hood so it should form a decent barrier from the engine's ambient air. Also if you kept the plastic engine covers theres a channel for cold air to come directly into the cone filter from the front grille. So It should get nice cold air from the outside directly into the general area of where the intake is.

KarKraze 03-19-2019 09:08 PM

If you put the K Tuner on your car and monitor the IAT you will notice how much hotter it is with the Takeda vs Stock Intake. Anyways, as previously mentioned I will not get in to a debate about the effectiveness of the Takeda as a performance mod.

My post is strictly to provide info to the OP or others who might find it useful. Another option to keep in mind is that P2R now offers a Silicone Intake Tube that eliminates the Accordion style of the Stock Intake, in theory it will provide a smoother air flow, used in conjunction with a free flow Air Filter and you should see improved performance over Stock

By all means try the Takeda, one thing for sure...you will love the sound :).

Blaze9 03-20-2019 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by KarKraze (Post 16400461)

By all means try the Takeda, one thing for sure...you will love the sound :).

Yeah I agree with your last point 100%. The sound <3 <3 <3 Hahaha