Squeaking over bumps, not bushings or motor mounts help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Squeaking over bumps, not bushings or motor mounts help please

I told them to check these two and they said both are fine. They hear the noise but couldn't find where its coming from

What else could it be? Its an annoying rattle sound like something is loose coming from underneath. Im definitely 99% sure its underneath

2012 TL SH-AWD
Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mak P
I told them to check these two and they said both are fine. They hear the noise but couldn't find where its coming from

What else could it be? Its an annoying rattle sound like something is loose coming from underneath. Im definitely 99% sure its underneath

2012 TL SH-AWD
It's common I have the same noise to I have a 2013 acura tl shawd and it does the same thing . There is nothing you can do about it trust me.
The following users liked this post:
BlackuraTL2012 (12-12-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 01:15 PM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
There are more bits under there than just those two. (My old Ford had sway bar links that had to be replaced every ~75k miles or so.)

Could also be bad/loose shocks/struts.

You just gotta get under there and move things around until something squeaks. You may have to let it get worse before it's easy to spot.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:52 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Man, I've had all sorts of suspension noise with this car. It's really my only complaint about the 4G over my old 3G.

I had a squeak which ended up being the upper control arm on the passenger side. The ball joint went bad. That was the closest thing to a "squeak" that I had. I replaced both the passenger and drivers side at about 160K miles. I also had some noise from the drivers side shock which was easy to identify since it was consistent with bumps. I replaced both of the front shocks at about 130K miles.

I also had a clunking which ended up being a motor mount. Not suspension I guess, but seemed to mask itself as one. That was at about 135K.

The latest was more of a loud click upon braking and acceleration, which ended up being the passenger side CV axle. I just replaced that last week. I didn't immediately identify it because I'm used to bad CV joints clicking when turning. This one didn't do that. Only when braking and accelerating. Weird.

Overall I shouldn't complain too much. I didn't put this many miles on my 3G so it's not really apples to apples. I wasn't great at diagnosing the problems. To be honest, I sort of just threw parts at the problems until the noise went away. I've replaced lower ball joints, outer tie rods, upper control arms, shocks, sway bar bushings, sway bar end links and the passenger side CV axle. None of that stuff is very expensive if you do the work yourself. And most of it results in a considerable better ride since suspension components tend to wear out over time rather than suddenly fail. The ride on my 4G is great. Super stiff and solid, thanks to all the new suspension parts. Now I'll just hope no other noises pop up. Replacing lower control arms is a pain.....

Edit: I should mention, all of that suspension work has been on the front end. That's where the noises have always popped up. The only thing I've done on the back is sway bar end links. I've never had the rear suspension noise issue. That was just preventative maintenance.

Last edited by losiglow; 10-22-2018 at 01:54 PM.