4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sport mode.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
The difference between sport mode and drive is VERY noticeable in my 12' TL. For you guys with 09-11 models saying it's bullshit go hop in a 12-13 model and do a 2nd gear rolling pull in S mode with the paddles from around 4500rpms, it should change your mind. I agree it's only a transmission change but it sure does make a difference.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^
Agreed. Holding 2nd and 3rd gear is probably the biggest benefit IMO. Still no comparison to the 6MT I'm sure, but ah, compromise to keep the wife happy who put the foot down on a manual.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:26 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Agree.

Especially in terms of downshift speed and downshift rpm control, the 6AT is no match for the 6MT.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Does your auto rev match?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Yes, the auto does rev match in 2012+ models. However, I'll admit I don't really notice it, or know enough about how it works. It honestly doesn't feel much different shifting, than my 01 CL-S which I know did not have that feature.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
Was wondering... Does anyone here drive more using sport mode than normal?
I drive a 10' TL AWD TECH and I don't use it to much, it seems to hold the car in the first 3 gears and won't go any further so it's kinda annoying. The RLX finally got a Sport mode "button" that just makes it shift a lot quicker with no hesitation.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:55 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Yes, the 6AT does rev-match downshifts.

But it's not a dual clutch system, so the 6MT is still way faster than the 6AT in performing gear downshifts.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Yes, the 6AT does rev-match downshifts.

But it's not a dual clutch system, so the 6MT is still way faster than the 6AT in performing gear downshifts.
The 2012+ also allows you to drop 2 gears in manual mode while rev matching. When you drop 2 gears it's much more noticeable that it's rev matching.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:09 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
The 2012+ also allows you to drop 2 gears in manual mode while rev matching. When you drop 2 gears it's much more noticeable that it's rev matching.
Hey Guys!

First post for me, finally signed up after lurking for a year.

The 2 gear downshift was a selling point my salesman pointed out when I was on the test drive although it didn't seem very responsive. Come to find out it only works in Sport (S) mode. It does not double downshift and drive (D), it will go down only one gear at a time.

I rarely go into sport mode on my 12 TL Tech.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Not sure I understand skipping a gear. I can downshift as fast as I can hit the paddles or floor stick but it does shift through each gear. I can pull the lever 5 times but it will not continue to shift down if the engine will over rev. It does not skip a gear like going from 5 to 3 without going through 4.

I know the Corvette will skip gears upshifting if you are accelerating slowly but that's a full manual box & the system works on the shift linkage.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:06 PM
2nd Gear

Not sure I understand skipping a gear. I can downshift as fast as I can hit the paddles or floor stick but it does shift through each gear. I can pull the lever 5 times but it will not continue to shift down if the engine will over rev. It does not skip a gear like going from 5 to 3 without going through 4.

I know the Corvette will skip gears upshifting if you are accelerating slowly but that's a full manual box & the system works on the shift linkage.
If I am cruising on sport mode in 6th gear if I hit the paddles twice it does show 5 then 4 in the LCD display but it does not rev match twice, it goes straight to 4.

If I am in drive mode it downshifts once regardless of how many times I press the button. I then have to downshift again to get it to 4th gear.

I really wish I bought the 6MT.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I actually like it and can say it does add some life to the car. I've owned the car for 10 months, put close to 30,000 miles and have driven it in sport - with and without shifters. 80% of the time is with paddles. Overall its there when you need it, and I don't see why its useless.

This is totally subjective to your driving habits, styles and anything that may tempt you to push that pedal. It's an option and by no means is useless. Those downshifts and full throttle are sure fun though.

Edit: I drive this car probably harder on the streets than most TL owners. Don't be afraid to push the car, once you learn how to use the paddles (And by that I mean, understand how your TL works...lol) it's a blast. This car, believe me, can take one hell of a beating.

Last edited by Danyoung; 09-16-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 23109VC
i use it sometimes... i mostly notice that in sport mode it holds the gears longer and stays in a lower gear..so it's at a higher rpm.. also, once you touch a paddle, it won't change gears UNLESS you manually input it with the paddles...

i actually find myself using the paddles a lot - in standard mode... so that if I want the car to downshift quicker.. I just hit the downshift paddle...a nd make it do what I want..and then rely on the car ot revert back to "auto" mode once my need for the lower gear is gone... i like the ability to grab the paddle at ANY time and make it downshift. on my prior car, a 06 RL.. you couldn't do that.. if would only respond to the paddles if you clicked the gear shift into manual mode... which made the paddles far less useful...

i do put the car in sport mode sometime and hammer it.. if I am about to take off from a stop light and know I am goign to run the car through fist and second and want the car to run to redline... i'll leave it in sport mode .. and at times I drive around fo ra while with it in sport mode..but once things calm down i put it back to regular mode as it would waste gas to leave it in sport mode when you are just cruising since you will be in a lower gear / higher rpm.... if you need more resopnsiveness to the throtle.. then sport mode is great...

i don't thinkt eh car feels more poweful in sport mode.. but since it's in a lower gear, and the revs are higher, it's more responsive when you punch it...and you can forc eit to stay in gear...

if I am about to go into a turn and I want to .. lets say.. stay in 2nd gear during the turn and really utilize SH-AWD... maybe I go to sport mode and manually select 2nd.. then hammer it through teh turn... that avoid the possiblity of downshifting to 1st...which is too low of a gear..and it avoids upshifting to 3rd to soon.. there are a few turns wher eholding 2nd i a turn is perfect...so I do it for that...
I have a 2005 RL and I am looking to trade it in for an 09 TL AWD. I want something more sporty and responsive. How would you say the TL differs from your RL and also which one do you like the most?
Old 01-31-2018, 10:16 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Can't comment to the post above. Hopefully you get a reply from 23108VC. It looks like he's posted once since 2016. You might try PMing him.

But to throw in a comment about sport mode - I use the paddle shifters 99% of the time. But it's not usually to be sporty. It's simply because I'm used to micromanaging the gear I'm in. This is my first car with an auto so I'm used to controlling the gear. Sport mode lets you decide when to shift, or stay in a lower gear if you know you're coming up to a hill or stopping soon. I think it probably decreases wear over time since it eliminates a lot of unnecessary shifts. For example - the ECU repeatedly shifting up and down while cruising up a hill, or up shifting followed by abruptly down shifting in city traffic rather than just sticking in a lower gear since the next stop light is less than 100 yards away. There's really no reason to upshift for a whopping 10 seconds in that case followed by downshift when the car is slowing down. That's two unnecessary shifts. Ultimately, shifting gears is where a great deal of transmission wear occurs. With the quick torque converter locking that occurs with this transmission, there's no slipping or work the transmission has to perform once you're in gear and the TQ locks. It's a direct driveline connection at that point. It's the repeated unnecessary shifting that wears it out. And with it tuned for MPG's in standard D mode, it's constantly trying to upshift ASAP which is not always a good thing.

Edit: One thing I do let the ECU do is downshift. I pretty much never downshift manually unless I need some quick acceleration. The ECU seems to be able to perform an automatic downshift based on throttle, RPM and grade-logic much better than if it's commanded to downshift in sport mode. As such, I let it downshift itself when slowing down or stopping. I kind of wish it somehow knew I was stopping so it would just go into neutral (or essentially 1st with TQ slipping) rather than downshifting. At least it knows to go from 3rd to TQ slipping rather than down to 2nd and 1st when stopping.

Last edited by losiglow; 01-31-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:11 PM
10th Gear

I’ve never put my car in sport mode but after reading this thread, definitely going to. Like tonight after work. ��