Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine TL/TLX Community > Fourth Generation TL (2009-2014)
Reload this Page >

Sport Grille Accessory and Rear Trim Officially Available?

Notices

Sport Grille Accessory and Rear Trim Officially Available?

 
Old 01-30-2010, 01:07 AM
  #41  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 52
Posts: 756
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prepreludesh View Post
Is it just me or was anybody else expecting midnight chrome to be more of a subdued dark silver? I'm shocked that this grille is highly reflective and seems to draw more attention to itself?
I would agree 100%, it stands out even more now.

Thanks for the pics too!
JeffS is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 02:44 AM
  #42  
Colorado Springs
 
prepreludesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 735
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED View Post
See someone owes him an apology:.
I'm sorry emason didn't post these pictures sooner
prepreludesh is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 07:42 AM
  #43  
The Sicilian
 
jspagna1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CT
Age: 58
Posts: 1,632
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
I would agree 100%, it stands out even more now.
+1 --- If you look at the stock OEM grill, the Beak is already chrome and the surround is more like a brushed aluminum. I realize it may have more of a darker tint to it but I don't think it warrants the investment $$$$. Here is a picture of the OEM grill and you'll see what I mean.
I still think painting the beak only is the way to go.
jspagna1 is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 08:25 AM
  #44  
Registered Member
 
MIKEYDRED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 174
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jspagna1 View Post
+1 --- If you look at the stock OEM grill, the Beak is already chrome and the surround is more like a brushed aluminum. I realize it may have more of a darker tint to it but I don't think it warrants the investment $$$$. Here is a picture of the OEM grill and you'll see what I mean.
I still think painting the beak only is the way to go.
I have to disagree the stock grill is all the same color, satin chrome. The problem with the stock grill is it stands out to much to the point where it looks cheap/plastic. This midnight chrome or whatever you want to call it will blend better with the darker colors. The problem is the bling, but I think the stock grill also stands out too much on darker colors. I am going to wait until the rumored grill kit materializes and depending on the outcome may switch to this one, but I will be lobbying for a discount.
MIKEYDRED is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 08:28 AM
  #45  
Registered Member
 
dwest1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: DC
Age: 64
Posts: 1,836
Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
How about the chrome surround with painted beak? Any opinions?
dwest1023 is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 10:27 AM
  #46  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by emason17 View Post
Forgive me for the quick pics as I am doing them at your request.

I would love to see this on the White Pearl. I think (IMO) it looks 1000% sexier than the factory silver. With all the rest of the chrome on the car it looks more matched than the one it came with. Great pics! Thanks!!
tapht is offline  
The following users liked this post:
acura1983 (03-24-2016)
Old 01-30-2010, 12:34 PM
  #47  
Grandpa
 
George Knighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia, Besieged
Age: 63
Posts: 7,221
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED View Post
I am going to wait until the rumored grill kit materializes and depending on the outcome may switch to this one....
I haven't heard about any grill kit on the horizon, but you never know.

What exactly have you heard?

And how do we feel about the ZDX grille when compared to the TL grille?

The ZDX grille does not extend above the line of the headlamps, and it has a smaller beak (relatively) and a larger air opening (relatively).
George Knighton is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 12:35 PM
  #48  
Grandpa
 
George Knighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia, Besieged
Age: 63
Posts: 7,221
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,412 Posts
George Knighton is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 PM
  #49  
Registered Member
 
kingofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 286
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a feeling Acura's revision or the rumors of a revision will probably be what George points out, the TL's grill on the 2011's may not go beyond the headlight level
kingofire is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 06:46 PM
  #50  
Grandpa
 
George Knighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia, Besieged
Age: 63
Posts: 7,221
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by kingofire View Post
I have a feeling Acura's revision or the rumors of a revision will probably be what George points out, the TL's grill on the 2011's may not go beyond the headlight level
Unfortunately, it requires retooling and more aluminium, which would equal a higher price. :-(
George Knighton is offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 04:28 PM
  #51  
Registered Member
 
MIKEYDRED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 174
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
I haven't heard about any grill kit on the horizon, but you never know.

What exactly have you heard?

And how do we feel about the ZDX grille when compared to the TL grille?

The ZDX grille does not extend above the line of the headlamps, and it has a smaller beak (relatively) and a larger air opening (relatively).
I read something a few weeks ago about a grill kit, it was a carry over from a TOV conversation, not sure, however I do like this chrome grill as it does match better with the rest of the accents.
The ZDX and new MDX grills look great, that is the problem this grill is designed for SUV's, hoever if the TL didn't crawl on the hood it would look much better. By crawling on the hood it F's up the lines on the front of the car. No grill kit, paint or swap will correct that, reconfiguration of the entire hood will be required.
MIKEYDRED is offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 05:34 PM
  #52  
Registered Member
 
4G Express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Staten Island
Age: 34
Posts: 113
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yikes.
4G Express is offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 PM
  #53  
Grandpa
 
George Knighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia, Besieged
Age: 63
Posts: 7,221
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,412 Posts
This would be a little complicated, because pieces would have to be stocked in the various body colours.

But I suppose we could design and start building a replacement grille that has a smaller chrome section. Still the same basic design as the ZDX grille, but obviously it would have to be a size to fill the size of the TL grille.

The part at the top could be the body colour to fill in between the crease and the leading edge of the aluminium grille, and on each side of the chrome could be body coloured pieces, the overall effect being to reduce the size of the grille, visually.

<_<

>_>

o_0
George Knighton is offline  
Old 02-01-2010, 01:36 AM
  #54  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 44
Posts: 304
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023 View Post
How about the chrome surround with painted beak? Any opinions?
You must have read my mind, because that's exactly what I am going to do! Call it "Bling" all you want, every other luxury manufacturer has chrome grills and trim except Acura, but I think chrome looks much more classy than that cheap ass brushed aluminum Acura has been using over the years. And for the record, the current OEM grill is NOT CHROME! I'm starting to wonder if some of you really know what chrome is!
Ac Man is offline  
Old 02-01-2010, 06:49 AM
  #55  
The Sicilian
 
jspagna1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CT
Age: 58
Posts: 1,632
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023 View Post
How about the chrome surround with painted beak? Any opinions?
I think that would look good. The chrome surround would dress it up a bit. Then all you have to do is get the chrome rear trim.
jspagna1 is offline  
Old 02-01-2010, 07:36 AM
  #56  
Grandpa
 
George Knighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia, Besieged
Age: 63
Posts: 7,221
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Ac Man View Post
I'm starting to wonder if some of you really know what chrome is!
Many people posting aren't going to be old enough to remember real chromium plated parts on cars.
George Knighton is offline  
Old 02-01-2010, 10:47 AM
  #57  
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King
 
docboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WA
Age: 42
Posts: 1,821
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Ac Man View Post
You must have read my mind, because that's exactly what I am going to do! Call it "Bling" all you want, every other luxury manufacturer has chrome grills and trim except Acura, but I think chrome looks much more classy than that cheap ass brushed aluminum Acura has been using over the years. And for the record, the current OEM grill is NOT CHROME! I'm starting to wonder if some of you really know what chrome is!
Ac man,

I noticed you have the full nose mask installed. Would you mind sharing pics of your TL with the mask? Palladium Metallic owner inquire
docboy is offline  
Old 02-01-2010, 05:55 PM
  #58  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 44
Posts: 304
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy View Post
Ac man,

I noticed you have the full nose mask installed. Would you mind sharing pics of your TL with the mask? Palladium Metallic owner inquire
I would love to share pics, but unfortunately I am serving overseas right now (Korea) and my TL is in storage! I won't be back until September, but if nobody posts any pics between now and then, I sure will. For the record, I only put it on during highway driving, I have the clear bra to protect also.
Ac Man is offline  
Old 02-01-2010, 06:03 PM
  #59  
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!
iTrader: (5)
 
dave_ramkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Queens,New York
Age: 29
Posts: 3,105
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY View Post
that midnight chrome looks pretty dope!
dave_ramkumar is offline  
Old 02-02-2010, 05:02 PM
  #60  
Registered Member
 
darmok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 295
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure why, but I think it would look particularly sharp on MBM.
darmok is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 AM
  #61  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by emason17 View Post
One final pic:

It would be nice to change the fog light trim to chrome or black so it's color is more matched to the rest of the car.

Last edited by emason17; 02-04-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: using english
emason17 is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 AM
  #62  
Grandpa
 
George Knighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia, Besieged
Age: 63
Posts: 7,221
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by emason17 View Post
It would be nice to change the fog light trim to chrome or black so it's color is more matched to the rest of the car.
Yeah, that's something that's stopping me, too. One change leads to another, leads to another....
George Knighton is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 09:26 AM
  #63  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that is the last one to be honest. Little adjustment. Wonder if RJ has something to put there.
emason17 is offline  
Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 PM
  #64  
Registered Member
 
MIKEYDRED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 174
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ac Man View Post
You must have read my mind, because that's exactly what I am going to do! Call it "Bling" all you want, every other luxury manufacturer has chrome grills and trim except Acura, but I think chrome looks much more classy than that cheap ass brushed aluminum Acura has been using over the years. And for the record, the current OEM grill is NOT CHROME! I'm starting to wonder if some of you really know what chrome is!
Actually Acura does refer to it as Satin chrome
MIKEYDRED is offline  
Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 PM
  #65  
Registered Member
 
PetesTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago suburb, IL
Posts: 1,775
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know, to me, it looks more like this:





Save yourself the hassle guys and just get the RJ grill....

just my
PetesTL is offline  
Old 02-06-2010, 05:20 PM
  #66  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 44
Posts: 304
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED View Post
Actually Acura does refer to it as Satin chrome
Well Acura doesn't know what chrome is either! The new sports grill is also called "Midnight chrome", what the hell is midnight chrome? Looks like regular chrome to me! It's all in the name!

Last edited by Ac Man; 02-06-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Ac Man is offline  
Old 02-08-2010, 12:03 PM
  #67  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about a color-matched painted grill with bright chrome mesh instead of the dark stock mesh?

Might look like the front of a Toyota, though?

And God knows, you really don't want to be standing in front of a Toyota!
gitnby is offline  
Old 02-12-2010, 05:37 PM
  #68  
Registered Member
 
MIKEYDRED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 174
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Went back to the dealer today to have some interior trim pieces replaced from over the summer when my XM reciever went bad. There was a PMM with the chrome grill and tail piece installed in the showroom. Let me tell you it makes a differance, I will definetly be getting it, did not like the price quote though of $596 installed (both pieces), will work on that when I am ready. To each is own with opnion, I do not like the RJ grill application on the TL as it flattens the nose of the car, however the grill itself is a nice design, I think it would look betetr on the TSX which has a flat nose.
The parts manager in his own words basically confirmed that the 2011 will recieve a redesigned nose,everyone's opnion is the plenum application is working on the other models, the TL got carried away. Still not sure how they will fix it though without redesigning the fenders and hood. Will be interesting, I guess we 09 and 10 TL plenums will be in an exclusive club of varying opinions, if this rumor is true. One thing though I will not regret buying my 09 as besides the Gridio and Umber combo, I think PMM and Umber are the best combination and Acura only offered it for 09, which is a mistake as everyone compliments my car on how the interior compliments the exterior.
MIKEYDRED is offline  
Old 02-12-2010, 08:02 PM
  #69  
Im Broke But Im Ok
 
free598's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: S.I...Rockville
Posts: 593
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED View Post
Went back to the dealer today to have some interior trim pieces replaced from over the summer when my XM reciever went bad. There was a PMM with the chrome grill and tail piece installed in the showroom. Let me tell you it makes a differance, I will definetly be getting it, did not like the price quote though of $596 installed (both pieces), will work on that when I am ready. To each is own with opnion, I do not like the RJ grill application on the TL as it flattens the nose of the car, however the grill itself is a nice design, I think it would look betetr on the TSX which has a flat nose.
The parts manager in his own words basically confirmed that the 2011 will recieve a redesigned nose,everyone's opnion is the plenum application is working on the other models, the TL got carried away. Still not sure how they will fix it though without redesigning the fenders and hood. Will be interesting, I guess we 09 and 10 TL plenums will be in an exclusive club of varying opinions, if this rumor is true. One thing though I will not regret buying my 09 as besides the Gridio and Umber combo, I think PMM and Umber are the best combination and Acura only offered it for 09, which is a mistake as everyone compliments my car on how the interior compliments the exterior.
free598 is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 AM
  #70  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by emason17 View Post
It would be nice to change the fog light trim to chrome or black so it's color is more matched to the rest of the car.
Does anyone have a mod or adjustment for the fog lights yet? Painted or chrome?
emason17 is offline  
Old 09-14-2010, 06:17 PM
  #71  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: dallas
Age: 50
Posts: 3,577
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED View Post
I have to disagree the stock grill is all the same color, satin chrome. The problem with the stock grill is it stands out to much to the point where it looks cheap/plastic. This midnight chrome or whatever you want to call it will blend better with the darker colors. The problem is the bling, but I think the stock grill also stands out too much on darker colors. I am going to wait until the rumored grill kit materializes and depending on the outcome may switch to this one, but I will be lobbying for a discount.
your wrong, the whole grill is NOT all the same color...you can totally see your reflection in the nose part, but not the part surrrounding it, its more satin...
vinnier6 is offline  
Old 09-14-2010, 08:25 PM
  #72  
Registered Member
 
MIKEYDRED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 174
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vinnier6 View Post
your wrong, the whole grill is NOT all the same color...you can totally see your reflection in the nose part, but not the part surrrounding it, its more satin...
same color different finish, why open an old thread? I am just as bad for responding however. Since this time I have swapped my OEM grill out for the sport grill.
MIKEYDRED is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 11:48 AM
  #73  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
Yeah, that's something that's stopping me, too. One change leads to another, leads to another....

Did anyone find a chrome fog light trim replacement?
emason17 is offline  
Old 05-05-2014, 08:19 PM
  #74  
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do we post pictures to the feed? I'm new here lol
elizonjg is offline  
Old 05-05-2014, 08:22 PM
  #75  
Moderator
 
potmilkz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern Cali 626 area
Age: 31
Posts: 7,113
Received 1,010 Likes on 784 Posts
And were back from the dead..
potmilkz is offline  
Old 03-22-2016, 12:37 PM
  #76  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,490
Received 602 Likes on 487 Posts
Reviving the dead, again.

I still have one of the OEM chrome grilles that never got put on the car before it was traded. Now I'm not sure if I should list it in AZ BM or eBay.

Any thoughts?

08F21-TK4-200
Mr Marco is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 09:26 PM
  #77  
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Age: 31
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviving the dead yet again.

Any chance you still have that grill? Been looking but it seems to be discontinued. Rear trim piece is still available at Bernardi and Delray. But no luck on the dark chrome grill. Any help would be appreciated.


Originally Posted by Mr Marco View Post
Reviving the dead, again.

I still have one of the OEM chrome grilles that never got put on the car before it was traded. Now I'm not sure if I should list it in AZ BM or eBay.

Any thoughts?

08F21-TK4-200
Stephen Horton is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Yumcha
Automotive News
7
05-09-2019 10:33 AM
HOWELLiNC
3G TL Photograph Gallery
24
10-08-2015 03:15 PM
Yumcha
Automotive News
3
09-14-2015 10:48 AM
EE4Life
Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
3
09-11-2015 10:13 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport Grille Accessory and Rear Trim Officially Available?


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.