4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So who actually likes the 4gTL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the car, I don't see anything wrong with it (even the grill y'all!). The car will grow on you guys that don't like it. Once you're willing to accept change, I bet you'll embrace the car and probably even buy one. I am waiting for the MMC, but the 4th gen TL WILL BE MY NEXT CAR! I'm getting tired of my '05 TL, but I have to go overseas for 2 years next year. So, when I return stateside the 2012 MMC will be a few months away and I'll be all over it!
Old 08-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Adobeman
The 3GTL is perfection from every angle. They massacred it with the 4G which appears positively awful from every angle. Doggone shame. Perhaps seeing it at a dealer will help but I doubt it.
Took the words right out of my mouth
Old 08-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone other than me!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Advanced

hate the exterior styling. looks like a chicks car on angel dust.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:13 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MaFreCoLa
Looks good in motion, and at certain angles, but I still can't get over that ugly shield up front.
LOL, I remember following a girl that looked good from certain angles only to get a shock when she turned around.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Funny peple say the 3G is looking dated, maybe to some, I know I still see a lot of 2G TL's on the road and that style is holding up well, very sleek and classy looking while having a nice sportly nature to it, the 3G truly to me looks like a large evolutionaly move form the 2G, if you look you'll see similar styling ques. To me the 2G interior is where it looks dated. The 3G I have to say the back is a bit simple now as it ages, but the rest of the car I think will age well. The 4G has very edgy styling which may or may not hold up with time. The grill being the most obvious with the high fenders and low hood line. The back is very edgy and pointed with a big butt bumper, so we'll have to see. I liek the profile of the car, but the front turns me off. I personally don't think the 4G will age as gracefully as the 2G or 3G.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Instructor

I saw one on the road the other day (I'm not far from where they are built). It looked way better than photos suggest. Kind of muscular and athletic, and way more cohesive than I expected. That said, there's too much bling for me. Not a big fan of all that chrome.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Advanced

I am in the camp who generally likes it.

I do not like the front end much but I guess I will have to reserve all judgement until I see it in person.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Racer

My initial reaction was to hate the grille, but like the rest of the car. It took me a while to warm up to the wife's '07 MDX, but now it looks tame in comparison.

Funny to read the comments about some of the guys thinking about a G37. I traded in my '05 TL for an '08 G37S almost exactly one year ago. After a year, I have to admit to being a bit on the fence.

Maybe I'm just a Honda guy, but there are subtle differences between Nissans and Hondas. There is no question about the upgrade in quality feel though. The G37 is as big a jump over my MDX as the MDX is over my old TL.

Looking back on it, I guess I was underwhelmed by my 3G TL. I traded an '01 CL Type-S for it, and still miss that car. That was probably the best looking car I ever owned. If Acura really does come up with a new CL, I will definitely be looking.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Instructor

I'm going to have to give it some time before I can say for sure if I like it or not. I'm real excited about the engine upgrade and the SH-AWD package. As far as looks on initial impression I wasn't too excited. But at the same time I wasn't too into the way the new BMW's looked, but now after a while I do like the new designs. So I guess for me only time will tell.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 PM
2008 NBP TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am very glad I jumped on the 08 TL while they are still available. The 4G looks too much like a bloated Nissan Maxima to me. I will pass on the 4th generation thank you. I hope I never total my 08...
Old 08-25-2008, 09:41 PM
DES
2nd Gear

I can almost garantee that the vast majority will like it when they see it in person. This forum probably accounts for less than 10 percent of actual tl owners. That being said, the car looks a lot better in person than pics, so try to keep an open mind on the design until you see it person.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I think the look will definitely grow on me. I hated the new Accord sedan when if first came out, same goes for the 5 series. Now when I see one (Accord or 5) on the road, it looks handsome. I liken the TL to a Clive Owens (British Actor), with rugged good looks. It's not a pretty boy like Jude Law.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DES
I can almost garantee that the vast majority will like it when they see it in person. This forum probably accounts for less than 10 percent of actual tl owners. That being said, the car looks a lot better in person than pics, so try to keep an open mind on the design until you see it person.
I agree, there are a lot of dick riders out there who only go along with what everyone is saying. Once people see it in person you'll start to see the negative comments subside. It was no different with the '08 Accord and the new TSX. Hell, just 2 years ago when the TL went through it's MMC people on this forum were crying about how fugly the TL was. People bitched about how ugly the rims were, the side mirrors, the fog lights, the taillights, side markers, the new steering wheels, etc. We heard all the "I'm getting a G", or "BMW here I come" comments, It was ridiculous, but now these same hypocrites have MMC TLs, and now the bitching continues with the 4th gen TL.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Ac Man
I agree, there are a lot of dick riders out there who only go along with what everyone is saying. Once people see it in person you'll start to see the negative comments subside. It was no different with the '08 Accord and the new TSX. Hell, just 2 years ago when the TL went through it's MMC people on this forum were crying about how fugly the TL was. People bitched about how ugly the rims were, the side mirrors, the fog lights, the taillights, side markers, the new steering wheels, etc. We heard all the "I'm getting a G", or "BMW here I come" comments, It was ridiculous, but now these same hypocrites have MMC TLs, and now the bitching continues with the 4th gen TL.
I couldn't agree more
Old 08-27-2008, 02:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would Def. Go with the 4G TL. With some good mods, Performance wise and Looks wise can actually make it better than the competitors including 335i. Lets see what Comptech will offer us this time.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:23 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The Pontiac Aztek looked like shit when it first came out and still did. It got hell for it in the years after it came out, but you hardly hear about it anymore. Did it grow on people? Highly doubt it.

And how many people have you seen that made such comments actually go and buy the TL/model they were criticizing months earlier? I haven't seen many. However, I have seen quite a few people who have moved on.... https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/
Old 08-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
The Pontiac Aztek looked like shit when it first came out and still did. It got hell for it in the years after it came out, but you hardly hear about it anymore. Did it grow on people? Highly doubt it.

And how many people have you seen that made such comments actually go and buy the TL/model they were criticizing months earlier? I haven't seen many. However, I have seen quite a few people who have moved on.... https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5
I could care less about the Pontiac Aztek because that shit IS ugly, plus it's American. Besides that's not even a good comparison because the TL is an established vehicle that already has a loyal consumer base and fan following, the Aztek was an all-new model, so if nobody liked it, it could be written off easily and nobody would care.

The comments people make on this forum should be taken with a grain of salt because Acurazine members account for a small percentage of Acura owners, hell, some people post comments on here and don't even own an Acura! As far as people making negative comments and then buying the TL later on, it's going to happen. I hope you are not that naive to think that it won't, but it's their right to do so. Everyone flip flops, we all see things and not like it at first, only to turn around and buy it later on. Why? because we are human and some things take time for us to warm up to.

Besides the look of the TL, some folks on this forum want the TL to be something that it's not. 305 HP is nothing to sneeze at, but because it doesn't have 330 HP like the G37, the TL is considered slow or underperforming. What the hell do people need all that HP for anyway? My '05 TL is rated at 256 HP with the new SAE ratings, so for me to move up almost 50 HP is more than enough. If folks want 350-400 HP, then move on already to something else, maybe a sports car. After all, that's what sports cars are for, right? Performance? Luxury? Oh, but most of us can't afford sports cars, so we bitch about cars that we can afford because they don't have the power and luxury of the cars that we really desire. So we have high expectations for these cars, and try to make them out to be something that they're not.

Don't get me wrong, Acura has let me down somewhat with some of the features in the TL and the lineup as a whole. They need to re-think the way they do things and start taking more risks and stop being so conservative. But is the 4th gen TL a bad car?, NO, is it better than the 3rd gen? YES, and that's really all that matters at the end of the day.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I could care less about the Pontiac Aztek because that shit IS ugly, plus it's American. Besides that's not even a good comparison because the TL is an established vehicle that already has a loyal consumer base and fan following, the Aztek was an all-new model, so if nobody liked it, it could be written off easily and nobody would care.

The comments people make on this forum should be taken with a grain of salt because Acurazine members account for a small percentage of Acura owners, hell, some people post comments on here and don't even own an Acura! As far as people making negative comments and then buying the TL later on, it's going to happen. I hope you are not that naive to think that it won't, but it's their right to do so. Everyone flip flops, we all see things and not like it at first, only to turn around and buy it later on. Why? because we are human and some things take time for us to warm up to.

Besides the look of the TL, some folks on this forum want the TL to be something that it's not. 305 HP is nothing to sneeze at, but because it doesn't have 330 HP like the G37, the TL is considered slow or underperforming. What the hell do people need all that HP for anyway? My '05 TL is rated at 256 HP with the new SAE ratings, so for me to move up almost 50 HP is more than enough. If folks want 350-400 HP, then move on already to something else, maybe a sports car. After all, that's what sports cars are for, right? Performance? Luxury? Oh, but most of us can't afford sports cars, so we bitch about cars that we can afford because they don't have the power and luxury of the cars that we really desire. So we have high expectations for these cars, and try to make them out to be something that they're not.

Don't get me wrong, Acura has let me down somewhat with some of the features in the TL and the lineup as a whole. They need to re-think the way they do things and start taking more risks and stop being so conservative. But is the 4th gen TL a bad car?, NO, is it better than the 3rd gen? YES, and that's really all that matters at the end of the day.
Well said.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Race Director

Aside from the ugly rear, I would test drive the new TL. Hey the good news is that if sales are really bad, you can get huge discounts eventually, especially on the SH-AWD model!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

What does it being American have to do with anything? I guess it has something to do with your previous experiences or preconceptions about American cars. Before anyone has something clever to say, my car was built in Canada. The TL, which is designed in California and built in Ohio, is more American than my Camaro.

Honestly I can't wait to see the TL in person, because I'm convinced that it'll look even worse than it does. Yes, there are cars that have grown of me, then there are cars that when I see in person, I think, "holy shit, its even uglier than I imagined!" People will buy the TL, because it is an Acura and the brand still generally resonates positively among consumers. The 4G has definitely garnered a lot of interest, but most of it is concerned with the exterior, which for the most part, is considered ugly.

I'm not saying I'm not capable of changing my mind, but this is one car that is taking one hell of a long ass time for me to get used to. I got used to the new Audi grill after a couple of weeks of seeing it over and over, and the same goes for the TSX. I easily overlooked the grill on the TSX because it was integrated well, and overall I actually like the lines. But after a couple of months of seeing spy shots of the TL, I'm not holding my breath.

Personally I have absolutely no intention of getting a new TL, especially with how terrible the exterior design is. I don't have any misguided ideals of what the TL should be, I'm not comparing it to the NSX or the GT-R or anything like that. I judge it as subjectively as possible... and in my book, from what I see in pictures and on paper, BEFORE any real-world driving, I have no idea why anyone would buy it over any of its competitors.

What you don't realize is despite the fact that this community represents a small portion of Acura owners, almost everyone on here has owned an Acura at one point (especially in the TL/CL/RL forums) and thus have a bias towards them. Try checking out, say, autoblog and see what the reception is of the TL.... you thought it was bad here, on AZ? My point is, don't assume that everyone is going along with "oh, its ugly" just because its the cool thing to do. You do realize that people are capable of independent thought, right? And if you don't like what you see, then don't read it. Someone else will, let them deal with it.

And I've read a couple of posts of members actually seeing the TL in public, and surprise! they think it looks even worse than it does in the pictures.

Thank you for those wise words of wisdom....

I can't think of many modern cars that weren't better than their predecessors in many ways. What matters is that the 4G TL is an Acura, and it is a TL, that the 3G TL was a huge success, and some will sway in that direction because of those things. You can't deny that... the Toyota Corolla was a huge success compared to the Geo Prizm, which throughout its generations was nearly identical to the Corolla aside from exterior styling, but it didn't carry the Corolla nameplate, and thus didn't share the anywhere near the same amount of success.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

You need a hug...
Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Racer

What does it being American have to do with anything? I guess it has something to do with your previous experiences or preconceptions about American cars. Before anyone has something clever to say, my car was built in Canada. The TL, which is designed in California and built in Ohio, is more American than my Camaro.

Honestly I can't wait to see the TL in person, because I'm convinced that it'll look even worse than it does. Yes, there are cars that have grown of me, then there are cars that when I see in person, I think, "holy shit, its even uglier than I imagined!" People will buy the TL, because it is an Acura and the brand still generally resonates positively among consumers. The 4G has definitely garnered a lot of interest, but most of it is concerned with the exterior, which for the most part, is considered ugly.

I'm not saying I'm not capable of changing my mind, but this is one car that is taking one hell of a long ass time for me to get used to. I got used to the new Audi grill after a couple of weeks of seeing it over and over, and the same goes for the TSX. I easily overlooked the grill on the TSX because it was integrated well, and overall I actually like the lines. But after a couple of months of seeing spy shots of the TL, I'm not holding my breath.

Personally I have absolutely no intention of getting a new TL, especially with how terrible the exterior design is. I don't have any misguided ideals of what the TL should be, I'm not comparing it to the NSX or the GT-R or anything like that. I judge it as subjectively as possible... and in my book, from what I see in pictures and on paper, BEFORE any real-world driving, I have no idea why anyone would buy it over any of its competitors.

What you don't realize is despite the fact that this community represents a small portion of Acura owners, almost everyone on here has owned an Acura at one point (especially in the TL/CL/RL forums) and thus have a bias towards them. Try checking out, say, autoblog and see what the reception is of the TL.... you thought it was bad here, on AZ? My point is, don't assume that everyone is going along with "oh, its ugly" just because its the cool thing to do. You do realize that people are capable of independent thought, right? And if you don't like what you see, then don't read it. Someone else will, let them deal with it.

And I've read a couple of posts of members actually seeing the TL in public, and surprise! they think it looks even worse than it does in the pictures.

Thank you for those wise words of wisdom....

I can't think of many modern cars that weren't better than their predecessors in many ways. What matters is that the 4G TL is an Acura, and it is a TL, that the 3G TL was a huge success, and some will sway in that direction because of those things. You can't deny that... the Toyota Corolla was a huge success compared to the Geo Prizm, which throughout its generations was nearly identical to the Corolla aside from exterior styling, but it didn't carry the Corolla nameplate, and thus didn't share the anywhere near the same amount of success.
Oh trust me, I've read the comments on other website sites, and yes it is ALOT WORSE than the comments here. But I don't read to much into those comments because alot of them are fanboys anyway.

I know everyone is not on the "Ugly TL" bandwagon, but there are some dick riders on this forum that goes along with what everyone is saying. Don't get me wrong, there are people that REALLY hate the new TL, which is fine. But there will be those who are saying they don't like the TL and will end up buying one later on, because the same shit happened with the 3rd gen TL when it came out.

As far as the Aztek being American, I said that because I can't stand American cars (obviously). It has nothing to do with build quality, it's because American cars are ugly and have no style. Improvements have been made over the last few years in regard to styling, but in regards to technology, forget it. Quick, name an American car that has Bluetooth? But Acura gets bashed for it's designs and so called lack of technology? Give me a break!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Racer

The new TL is growing on me, but I will wait until I can see it in person for my final judgement. I like the option of the AWD but I would like to test drive to see if the performance meets my expectations.

I can't afford one now anyway, so I have time to make up my mind
Old 08-28-2008, 02:42 AM
Vroom Vroom

I really like the TL, if I was in a market for a new car this would be it!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:45 AM
Banned

i will wait till one of you guys get it and mod it and show some pictures and make me drool and make me go to the dealer and make me do the same thing what you did and than this cycle will never end and in the end we will ALL have the all new SH-AWD
Old 08-31-2008, 10:59 AM
2019 RDX Tech SH-AWD

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DES
If you go back to the early posts on the 3G before it was released, there were many negative comments about the look. Maybe not as many as this time, but plenty. Also, most making those comments are no longer registered users. I've read almost all the reviews of the TL and although no one is raving about the styling, they are all very positive. I can't wait to drive it.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 007TL-S
Someone other than me!
I liek your tag line if it doesn't rattle it isn't a Honda/Acura. Funny I have had 4 different TLs and they ALL have had rattles and squeaks. Some more than other. My 06 and 2nd 08 Type-S were the best, but the 2nd 08 I have now is stating, the back deck is making noises under bass again and even over bumps. The roof liner is making noises. It is starting to catch up to my first 08 whihc was this noisy virtually day one. I have to say I love the car, but the interior fit and finihs and lack of decent assembly is driving me away. I am close to pulling trigger on 08 G35 with the great deals they have right now and every one I test drive has far better build quality on the interior, even their bumpers color match better and are hung better. Acura wants to compete with the big boys they need to build liek the big boys, get the TL out of Ohio and build them in Japan.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Racer

Being designed in California may explain the look of the new 4G TL. Remember, someone from the US actually designed this too. (LOL) Should of left the design to us Canadians....I agree with your comments. I have been a Honda and TL owner for a long time (had a Camaro before that). The 4G seems to have missed the mark. I can't see myself it.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by stevesTL
I'm buying one, hopefully late fall. I'd love to buy the SH-awd but we'll see what

the price of admission is. I guess I'm one of the few here that like it. No, I'm not

wild about the grill, but I'm already used to the new look and I think it looks nice

overall. I've read a number of posts from people saying they are buying a G37, not

this TL. I like the G too, beautiful exterior, but I just don't like the interior. Now if

they put the M interior in it that would be a different story.
The G37 beats the 09 TL on sporty, elegant styling. The technology is neck and neck.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:49 PM
TL-see

New 09 TL should be like this.

I like the front of the 09 Acura TL. It would look even better if they put a bright white led strip next to the fog light on each side (similar to the Audi car). And they should have kept the 2008 Type-s rear and put it on the new 09 TL, but mod just a bit to make it look like an 09. I dislike the rear of an 09 TL What yall think?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by yourit
I like the front of the 09 Acura TL. It would look even better if they put a bright white led strip next to the fog light on each side (similar to the Audi car). And they should have kept the 2008 Type-s rear and put it on the new 09 TL, but mod just a bit to make it look like an 09. I dislike the rear of an 09 TL What yall think?
I like this version...

Old 09-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Peters
I like this version...

I'm not a huge Caddy fan, the CTS is appealing and this one looks better than the 4G TL IMO.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KeithL
I'm not a huge Caddy fan, the CTS is appealing and this one looks better than the 4G TL IMO.
GM couldn't be happier. Here's another sedan done right - Mercedes CLS. The new TL just doesn't have it IMO. Acura could have done wonders with that car.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

I like the car, I don't see anything wrong with it (even the grill y'all!). The car will grow on you guys that don't like it. Once you're willing to accept change, I bet you'll embrace the car and probably even buy one. I am waiting for the MMC, but the 4th gen TL WILL BE MY NEXT CAR! I'm getting tired of my '05 TL, but I have to go overseas for 2 years next year. So, when I return stateside the 2012 MMC will be a few months away and I'll be all over it!

The issue is a car I want to buy shoudl NOT have to GROW ON ME. I fell in love with the 3G TL as soon as I saw it, same with current G35 and to some extent the Genesis, I have never bought a vehicle that I did not love when I saw it first time, there are too many choices to have to wait for something to grow on me. By the time I find the 4G acceptable there will be 2 or 3 more newer refreshed modles that will one up it.