4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SIAP - engine detail upcoming, what do you normally cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
SIAP - engine detail upcoming, what do you normally cover?

Hi all. In the midst of a pretty major transformation of my car I'm getting ready to fully decontaminate, polish, and seal, along with a full wheel detail and more importantly, engine and interior detail. My main question is - when prepping for the engine detail I'd like to cover up anything sensitive (within reach) with foil or plastic for protection. Any suggestions on exactly what I should be covering? Major harness junctions, ignition anything, and possibly O2 sensors, if I can get to them?

This is all happening next weekend before my '10 6MT SH-AWD, PSM, hits the body shop for a new OEM front bumper (rock chips on an already-repainted current bumper means I'm putting a brand new one on) along with the OEM A-Spec kit from EndlessRPM. Then it should get H&R sport springs and Koni FDS shocks within the next month to complete the look.

So, very excited to see all this get done but first I have to clean the $#&% out of it to get the paint as nice as possible for bumper matching. I don't think it's ever had an engine detail. Surprisingly, the factory paint is in pretty darn good shape from what I can tell despite living through auto washes up to this point. That's all changing though and it'll be hand washing from here out.

Anyway, any guidance on what I should be covering up under the hood would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Todd
Old 07-10-2017, 06:24 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
dont really need to cover anything. if you are worried, and it sounds like you are...cover the things you mentioned...
maybe just the alternator.
and the engine does not need to be pressure washed....cuz it sounds like that's your plan... if using pressure washer, DO NOT SPRAY DIRECTLY ON SPARK PLUG AREA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(thus why it's not a good idea to use a pressure washer.)

I would just take trusty old soap and water without using a pressure washer.
tis how I always clean my engine bay.
if really grimey with grease, use simplegreen. be careful on black plastics and rubber as any kind of degreaser will turn it white
Old 07-10-2017, 08:48 AM
Advanced

Thanks Justin. I have a pressure washer but thankfully it's adjustable so I'll have it on the lowest setting for anything I do on the car but especially in the engine bay I'll be using a spray nozzle off the hose. I may hit the wheels with water out of the pressure washer but otherwise it's main role is to foam up the car pre-wash.

I'll take all the plastics off before I clean up the engine bay but thanks for the heads up as given the current state of the engine bay I will need a little more aggressive strategy this time around. I've seen where using a decent wheel cleaner on top of a quick rinse with a little dwell and agitation as needed is all that's called for unless it's really bad, which mine isn't. Mine isn't clean but it's also not full of caked on crap either
Old 07-10-2017, 08:51 AM

i would forego the pressure washer and just use soap and water and brush. that way, you know for sure, you arent damaging anything
Old 07-10-2017, 08:53 AM

just soap and water mang.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:54 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Looks good. I've always used a pressure washer at one of those self-serve car washes but avoided the alternator, fuse boxes and coils.

Did you relocate your battery or do you have a lightweight one hiding down there somewhere? Or did you remove it before washing?
Old 07-10-2017, 09:56 AM

oh no, I think I was replacing the starter in this pic.
although, I see dust...so not really a great example to show on how soap and water works
Old 07-15-2017, 08:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts

Check out this video
The following users liked this post:
losiglow (07-17-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 09:11 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the reminder, forgot to update this!

Before:
SIAP - engine detail upcoming, what do you normally cover?-wghfxtuh.jpg

SIAP - engine detail upcoming, what do you normally cover?-hjh4dv2h.jpg

SIAP - engine detail upcoming, what do you normally cover?-uwllgxth.jpg

After
SIAP - engine detail upcoming, what do you normally cover?-imdgknah.jpg

SIAP - engine detail upcoming, what do you normally cover?-leatwf5h.jpg

Also did my exhaust tips
Before
SIAP - engine detail upcoming, what do you normally cover?-voxxrulh.jpg

After
SIAP - engine detail upcoming, what do you normally cover?-fccaicwh.jpg
Old 07-16-2017, 09:14 AM
Advanced

Whole car shot, this is after a machine polish with 105 and a light/orange pad
SIAP - engine detail upcoming, what do you normally cover?-fx7ruqbh.jpg

I used Sonax engine cleaner on the engine and Sonax wheel cleaner on the wheels along with woolies and detailing brushes for both. Just used aluminum foil over the alternator and map sensor. Spray nozzle on the garden hose first on the engine, then the Sonax and let that sit for 5 minutes. Agitated, rinsed off, and cleaned up after. I used 1Z Cockpit on the plastics under the hood and then also used it on the interior. That stuff is magic. It cleans well, it smells great, but doesn't leave a greashy or streaky finish whatsoever. Highly recommended.
The following 2 users liked this post by toddrhodes:
echodigital (07-16-2017), losiglow (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:20 AM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Whats the best way to remove oxidize aluminum on the engine for detailing. I have used Marvel Mystery oil and brush however it slow and tedious. Any fast ways?
Old 07-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Great job. What did you use on the exhaust tips?
Old 07-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
Great job. What did you use on the exhaust tips?
i would like to know this too.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:43 PM
Advanced

Sorry about that, I thought I answered this but apparently not! I used Brilliant metal polish and a 3m scrub pad and a bunch of elbow grease. I understand NeverDull works here as well.

I hope that helps!

Got my kit on yesterday, here's how she sits today:

SIAP - engine detail upcoming, what do you normally cover?-mab3vzah.jpg