Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Saving the 4th Gen TL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saving the 4th Gen TL?

Let me start off by saying, I love my 3G TL, I have owned a 2G TL, and the CL Type S. I can honestly say that, I love Acura, and Acura products.

But come on... 4th Gen TL? It hurts me to just look at it... It's gotten too big, priced itself too high, and well, it's just too ugly.

I propose for Acura to slap a V6 into the TSX, give it SH-AWD, and call that the 4.5G TL. I guarantee Acura will have a fighting chance in keeping up their sales.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chung S
Let me start off by saying, I love my 3G TL, I have owned a 2G TL, and the CL Type S. I can honestly say that, I love Acura, and Acura products.

But come on... 4th Gen TL? It hurts me to just look at it... It's gotten too big, priced itself too high, and well, it's just too ugly.

I propose for Acura to slap a V6 into the TSX, give it SH-AWD, and call that the 4.5G TL. I guarantee Acura will have a fighting chance in keeping up their sales.
I think that's a good guess as to what Acura will eventually do in terms of their lineup. Bump up the TSX! (don't know if they will call it TL 4.5G though :-)

Long term, I think they have their sight set on their RL going up against say a BMW7, TL against the 5 series, and the TSX against the 3 series.

It'll be interesting to see if Acura can pull it off.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the TL can holds its own against the 5 series. The only difference is that the BMW's have the sophisticated twin turbo V6 engines that scream torque. Other than that the SH-AWD model should be just as good as a 535xi and even a 535i. The FWD model should do well against the smaller V6 models.

Besides, the TL has gadgets galore and $20K cheaper than a comparably equipped 535i or 535xi.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by static808
I think the TL can holds its own against the 5 series. The only difference is that the BMW's have the sophisticated twin turbo V6 engines that scream torque. Other than that the SH-AWD model should be just as good as a 535xi and even a 535i. The FWD model should do well against the smaller V6 models.

Besides, the TL has gadgets galore and $20K cheaper than a comparably equipped 535i or 535xi.
Yup the new TL is competitive against the 5 in terms of interior/gadget/value. We'll see how the new SHAWD do in terms of edging closer to BMW's handling. The power looks OK. The prestige factor..... not there yet.

But I have a feeling Acura doesn't really care how us present TL owners feel about the new TL as much as they care about whether the present RL owners feel about the new TL. I think the new TL is targeted more towards them.

I really think they want us to look at the new TSX instead.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maverickinvestor
Yup the new TL is competitive against the 5 in terms of interior/gadget/value. We'll see how the new SHAWD do in terms of edging closer to BMW's handling. The power looks OK. The prestige factor..... not there yet.

But I have a feeling Acura doesn't really care how us present TL owners feel about the new TL as much as they care about whether the present RL owners feel about the new TL. I think the new TL is targeted more towards them.

I really think they want us to look at the new TSX instead.
Only problem with that is that Acura is doomed if they are targeting the new TL towards current RL owners .. they sell what, maybe, 300/month RL's? (and falling). I think the non-SH-AWD version is specifically targeted at current TL owners -- pity though, there is NOTHING about the new TL that would cause me to give up my 3G TL-S .. in fact, I do not find Acura's buck-tooth trio appealing at all
Old 09-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by DivinDude
Only problem with that is that Acura is doomed if they are targeting the new TL towards current RL owners .. they sell what, maybe, 300/month RL's? (and falling). I think the non-SH-AWD version is specifically targeted at current TL owners -- pity though, there is NOTHING about the new TL that would cause me to give up my 3G TL-S .. in fact, I do not find Acura's buck-tooth trio appealing at all
I looked at one today and have not driven it yet, the only things I like about it and all are minor, the ELS sounds real good, finally, the steering wheel feel awesome and the navi screen is beautiful. Not enough to make me give up my 3G Type-S.. I doubt the 4G will handle better than a 3G Type-S, unless you shell out $43K for SH-AWD.