Sponsored by: DashLynx

RonJon Grill

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by workTL
Damn. RJ sells garbage.

Cant believe the price for POS products.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm sorry you don't like the results, but you have to understand what goes into making an aftermarket product and the negligible profit margin in these grilles. The cost of production for such a low volume item like this grille is so high, its not even worth it. But with the results making the car look much better than stock, we cannot just take it away. There is a need for this grille when you compare it to the OEM grille.

Now, I explain to anybody who calls that there is a certain level of adjustments needed, like slightly enlarging holes to accommodate the need to shift the position of the grille so that the gaps are even. for instance, if the grille is off to one side more than the other, the four primary bolts can be loosened, and the grille c an be evenly shifted to make the gaps the same all around. The weather stripping must be reused and we left the holes small on purpose to allow expanding rather than making the holes too big. Also, the two corners on top of the grille can be slightly shaved to give an even gap across the top of the grille where the hood meets it.

So we tried our best to make a product that uses OEM mounting points and does not require modifications to the vehicle or grille to fit. Bolt in and bolt out is not easy. On top of that, when we developed the molds, we had 3 different TL's in the factory and found out the tolerances between individual vehicles varies so much that it's impossible to make one part to fit all TLs. You can even see the issues with the OEM grilles, but the fact that they are a different color than the vehicle hides the issues better than a single color monotone painted grille.

The only thing I would address is the emblem being slightly off, but the good thing is that it can be adjusted no problem. It's a matter of drilling a new hole 2-3 mm over the old hole. The emblem should cover the shift in hole position. No biggie.

Bottom line is that it's a great looking piece and yes, half the end product lays within the ability of the shop doing the labor. I go well above and beyond spending over 3 hours with the customer and shop trying to resolve questions, but I do this because I know the solutions and I am certain that they can be addressed. Otherwise I would have stopped making the grille. The end result does transform the vehicle completely, and I am happy with the style change. If I could make it better I would, but adjusting it anymore would not solve the problems, the best we could do is wait until the fitment issues rear the heads, then address them according to that particular vehicle's issues. No two TLs are the same.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rondog
I'm sorry you don't like the results, but you have to understand what goes into making an aftermarket product and the negligible profit margin in these grilles. The cost of production for such a low volume item like this grille is so high, its not even worth it. But with the results making the car look much better than stock, we cannot just take it away. There is a need for this grille when you compare it to the OEM grille.

Now, I explain to anybody who calls that there is a certain level of adjustments needed, like slightly enlarging holes to accommodate the need to shift the position of the grille so that the gaps are even. for instance, if the grille is off to one side more than the other, the four primary bolts can be loosened, and the grille c an be evenly shifted to make the gaps the same all around. The weather stripping must be reused and we left the holes small on purpose to allow expanding rather than making the holes too big. Also, the two corners on top of the grille can be slightly shaved to give an even gap across the top of the grille where the hood meets it.

So we tried our best to make a product that uses OEM mounting points and does not require modifications to the vehicle or grille to fit. Bolt in and bolt out is not easy. On top of that, when we developed the molds, we had 3 different TL's in the factory and found out the tolerances between individual vehicles varies so much that it's impossible to make one part to fit all TLs. You can even see the issues with the OEM grilles, but the fact that they are a different color than the vehicle hides the issues better than a single color monotone painted grille.

The only thing I would address is the emblem being slightly off, but the good thing is that it can be adjusted no problem. It's a matter of drilling a new hole 2-3 mm over the old hole. The emblem should cover the shift in hole position. No biggie.

Bottom line is that it's a great looking piece and yes, half the end product lays within the ability of the shop doing the labor. I go well above and beyond spending over 3 hours with the customer and shop trying to resolve questions, but I do this because I know the solutions and I am certain that they can be addressed. Otherwise I would have stopped making the grille. The end result does transform the vehicle completely, and I am happy with the style change. If I could make it better I would, but adjusting it anymore would not solve the problems, the best we could do is wait until the fitment issues rear the heads, then address them according to that particular vehicle's issues. No two TLs are the same.
I think this is where the problem was Ron:

copied from your site...

- This grille utilizes OEM mounting points and comes with installation hardware included.
- No modifications to the grille or vehicle are needed for installation, Bolt on, Bolt off installation.
- Professional installation is suggested.
- The Acura OEM emblem is transferred from the OEM grille to the RonJon grille.

The installer didn't have my car a good day before I got a call reference fitment...at that point like I said earlier, he advised he could make it work but it'll come at an additional cost. This I had not anticipated. Service after the sale...you were eventually able to make contact with the installer which went greatly appreciated but it does take awhile. Understandably your busy, but when this guy is charging hourly rates it can become an issue. To remedy this I'd take out that second bullet referencing bolt on installation or add more detail reference the potential issues that may come with a custom after market piece. Safe to say I'm not the only one when reading bolt on installation to expect just that. Aside from all this, aside from the Acura emblem being off...which the installer should have fixed but probably didn't to avoid more labor cost I'm assuming the mod does change the entire appeal of the vehicle.

I'd just forewarn future clients of the potential for additional installation cost and like we previously mentioned ensure you use a custom shop not just the typical auto-body shop like a collision repair center or dealership.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
just saying.. my 160 c-mod grill that i bought from china had better fitment than your grills that is made in the USA.. that says alot.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
just because you can afford this car doesnt mean that the guy is throwing money away on a part like this..

for example..

you own a 40k car, but does it mean that you go out and eat $100.00 meals everyday?

i mean im 23, and i bought this car myself.. and i didnt even attend college.

its not about having money, its about how you would like to spend it..
I agree with this statement. I'm 21, and I still go to university and I own my car but I wouldn't spend $900 on a grille. I've also been told they have fitment issues but I can't confirm.

I've never liked any RonJon products. I'm not sure why. I'd prefer to just do a whole 2012+ front end conversion than buy a front grille. Something I'd consider doing if I ever get into an accident but for now. I'll continue to pay my overpriced tuition instead of an overpriced grille.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:28 AM
Former Sponsor

It upsets me that I work so hard to get something to a certain point just to have it all thrown into the internet fire, but I will make these grilles and spend as much time as it takes to help those who appreciate the final results happy. So if you have a problem with it, I'm sorry, I spent a lot of time explaining the product and talking to you, your body shop to help. I am ready to do a refund at any time during the required test fit before the product is painted.

No modifications are needed to make it fit, just some minor adjustments like expanding the holes by 2mm and normal prep requirements. We planned that part in because it is according to your specific vehicles' hood position and tolerances between the bumper, grille, headlights and hood relationship with varies among vehicles. No cutting, no rebuilding, no car changes, nothing except what is expected in a painted aftermarket product. It does indeed bolt in and bolt out without any signs of ever being installed when taken off which was a big factor when selling to dealerships when we first produced this part.

The cost of production is slightly below what I sell at. If anybody thinks they can do a better job for less, I implore you to do it and teach me a lesson.

So if you are frustrated because it was not just plug and play, I cannot help it. Like I said before, we had three different TLs in the factory when mocking this grille up, and the same grille fit 3 different ways. What more can I say. So before you bash me, test me over the phone, email me and inquire. If I don't care, then bash away, but I do care, I do attempt to work together with the customer. Nobody is obligated to buy anything, and the pics you see are not photoshopped or anything, they are satisfied customers who understand that 50% of the work is in the product and 50% of the result is in the 3rd party body shop who can take a good product and ruin it. Ive been working with over 1000 body shops over a period of 10 years, I know a few things about body shops, most are borderline mafia type companies who usually trick or manipulate unknowing customers once they have the property of the car in their possession then strong-arm them to squeeze out any additional costs. They weren't born yesterday and they take advantage of that.

here are some pics to show what a qualified honest shop can do. The last two pics show the quality of our kit when installed properly and the OEM which has issues of their own but are masked by the different in contrasting color.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:59 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
How comes Invincible1300r's RJ grille only has 2 holes at the emblem mounting area, whereas the RonJon's own install has 4 holes ?

How comes Invincible1300r's RJ grille has the Acura emblem installed crooked, but the RonJon's own install Acura emblem is dead straight ?

Why didn't RJ send the grille with the exact same specs as the RJ installed one, to customers ?

Invincible1300r's pics :

RonJon's own install :
Old 10-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Was Invincible1300r an authentic RJ grille? That looks really off and it doesn't even seem to fit. The top right of the grille looks like it's not sitting flush with the hood.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
My BFF installed my lip kit. Perfect fit and paint.

Also installed a CT Engineering carbon grill....perfect fit.

The RJ grill is nice, just not $900 nice. It should be flawless at that price.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:59 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
Was Invincible1300r an authentic RJ grille? That looks really off and it doesn't even seem to fit. The top right of the grille looks like it's not sitting flush with the hood.
The bottom image was a stock photo I took off Ron's page pre project...I sent that collage to the body shop I eventually ended up using. Here is the finished product. He was actually able to make the actual grill fit perfect after a bit of sanding to the upper right...he did have some issues making the seams fit. He dropped the ball on the Acura emblem though. Like Ron said he probably could have drilled another hole to correct the problem. I'll more than likely attempt a fix to this myself at some point.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was lucky... bought my RJ grill for $200 used from a guy returning his lease. It was worth it.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^ Great find.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Former Sponsor

There's a plate that get's sandwiched in to hide the holes needed for the bar mount, so there is actually 4 holes, 2 for the screws, and two for the position of the pegs behind the grille.