Ron Jon body kit or Oem ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ron Jon body kit or Oem ?

Opinions on which is better or would make the car look better. Price isn't an issue here. Just want the car to look niceee...would love to here from you guys thanks
Old 01-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Intermediate

Sorry bumpy ride accidentally hit submit. This body kit will be on my Acura TL 2010 sh awd tech package
Old 01-12-2017, 03:08 PM
UA9 SH-AWD

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
The Ron Jon kit looks nice and unique, but are they even still in business though???
Old 01-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Definitely still in business and a vendor here on AZ - just not sure if the kit is still available.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:51 PM
UA9 SH-AWD

Originally Posted by ggesq
Definitely still in business and a vendor here on AZ - just not sure if the kit is still available.
That's good to know they are still up and running
Old 01-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Intermediate

Yea I'm pretty sure they still make them. I was just going to order it a few weeks ago.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:17 PM
UA9 SH-AWD

Originally Posted by NtnBeatsMuzik
Yea I'm pretty sure they still make them. I was just going to order it a few weeks ago.
Go for it man! Your AWD will look sharp.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Intermediate

Yea I think Ima do just that. Hey thanks man I appreciate it.
The following users liked this post:
SoL_TeK (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have the RJ Kit, well I was the prototype tester.

Make sure that it is mounted correctly and if you have an after market exhaust, make sure there aren't any protruding bits of the kit that will obstruct the exhaust.

I have the ATLP Exhaust and on the driver side, a part of the kit protrudes low and over time it melts the kit and start to crack and such.

When I say make sure it is mounted correctly, the kit came with 3M tape and if you're located in a hot area, the tape will melt and the kit will fall off. Also, my front bumper was not mounted correctly or there weren't any play or room for the screws to mount and it eventually fell off and my car ate the front lip.

I am not sure what material is being used now, but the front lip is made out of Urethane while the side skirts and rear valance are made of fiberglass. My side skirts cracked badly and cannot repair them.

I am going to eventually take off all the pieces and go OEM because of quality of build and material.

The kit looked awesome, but it fell apart pretty quick.

Again though, I was the tester, so mounting and material may have changed.

-DeL
Old 01-12-2017, 05:57 PM
UA9 SH-AWD

Hey Del! man I didn't know the kit was that much pain in the butt, I personally had seeing you car and it does look good with the kit, but man I expected RJ to use much better materials in a kit of that price.

Originally Posted by FallenTSX

Make sure that it is mounted correctly and if you have an after market exhaust, make sure there aren't any protruding bits of the kit that will obstruct the exhaust.

I have the ATLP Exhaust and on the driver side, a part of the kit protrudes low and over time it melts the kit and start to crack and such.

When I say make sure it is mounted correctly, the kit came with 3M tape and if you're located in a hot area, the tape will melt and the kit will fall off. Also, my front bumper was not mounted correctly or there weren't any play or room for the screws to mount and it eventually fell off and my car ate the front lip.

I am not sure what material is being used now, but the front lip is made out of Urethane while the side skirts and rear valance are made of fiberglass. My side skirts cracked badly and cannot repair them.

I am going to eventually take off all the pieces and go OEM because of quality of build and material.

-DeL
Old 01-13-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts

-DeL

i have seen your kit in person. we met in rosemead before in a mini meet.

and sadly i was not impressed by the kit.. 1 for starters.. it was not mounted to the car on right.. it used silicone as a gap sealer.. no kit should use that.. it should have came with weather stripping for the gaps.

the surface of the kit is not smooth, there are wavy lines and the kit looks like it came from ebay, fitment is poor...

and lastly.. for a kit like that.. it should not cost 1500+ unpainted..
the grill is the only decent part but even then you have to drop a few hundred for paint and fitment.. alot of people right off the bat had issues with it. it ended up costing nearly 900+ for some members to get it fitted and painted.. that alone is too much for a grill, a grill that cost that much should have better fitment.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SoL_TeK
Hey Del! man I didn't know the kit was that much pain in the butt, I personally had seeing you car and it does look good with the kit, but man I expected RJ to use much better materials in a kit of that price.
Yea, it does not age well and there are a bunch of gaps. I am taking this off and scrapping it for the OEM!

-DeL
Old 01-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by potmilkz
i have seen your kit in person. we met in rosemead before in a mini meet.

and sadly i was not impressed by the kit.. 1 for starters.. it was not mounted to the car on right.. it used silicone as a gap sealer.. no kit should use that.. it should have came with weather stripping for the gaps.

the surface of the kit is not smooth, there are wavy lines and the kit looks like it came from ebay, fitment is poor...

and lastly.. for a kit like that.. it should not cost 1500+ unpainted..
the grill is the only decent part but even then you have to drop a few hundred for paint and fitment.. alot of people right off the bat had issues with it. it ended up costing nearly 900+ for some members to get it fitted and painted.. that alone is too much for a grill, a grill that cost that much should have better fitment.
Totally agree! There are gaps and over time it started to peel off the car and does not look right. It was poorly mounted and I didn't like the materials that was used, especially since fiberglass is not the least bit flexible!

-DeL
Old 01-14-2017, 10:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Hey guys, we are in business and we are providing the kit. Now, all those issues seem to be installation related. Since the kit doesn't come opainted for coor matching and shipping reasons, we have to rely on the third party for the final result. We have many examples of bodyshops that raved about the quality and many examples of finely fitted TLs. Keep in mind that Del had the very first kit, since then we have ironed out a lot of issues and changed the design slightly to increase quality. Dels car has had the kit from about 6 years ago! So if you can find a good aftermarket friendly bodyshop that caters to custom work, you will be fine. Here's a few shots of TLs does right with he RJ Kit...

Old 01-15-2017, 12:20 AM
UA9 SH-AWD

Yea, it does not age well and there are a bunch of gaps. I am taking this off and scrapping it for the OEM!

-DeL
Hey Del I saw you pass by earlier today! was it just me or you took the kit off already?

@Rondog
man that Blue TL looks really damn good, are those wheels still in production by chance?
Old 01-15-2017, 08:19 AM
Intermediate

Does anyone know the wheels specs on this blue TL with the RJ kit on it. Tire size n rims etc?
Old 01-15-2017, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by NtnBeatsMuzik
Does anyone know the wheels specs on this blue TL with the RJ kit on it. Tire size n rims etc?
245/35/20

5x120 +42 offset 9 inch wide
rondog (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 06:52 AM
Intermediate

Ok cool thanks man
Old 01-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by SoL_TeK
Hey Del I saw you pass by earlier today! was it just me or you took the kit off already?

@Rondog
man that Blue TL looks really damn good, are those wheels still in production by chance?
Yeah, I got a few and I need pics of them on the TL. Contact me from the info in my sig if interested. I'll take care of you.
You won't believe it, but that KBP TL is not dropped on springs, OEM ride height.
SoL_TeK (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 11:41 AM
UA9 SH-AWD

Thanks Rondog, I'm trying to plan out my future for this TL and that does sounds good to me on having oem ride height and looking good like that KBP TL.

Originally Posted by rondog
Yeah, I got a few and I need pics of them on the TL. Contact me from the info in my sig if interested. I'll take care of you.
You won't believe it, but that KBP TL is not dropped on springs, OEM ride height.