Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Deck Removal to Replace Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:02 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Deck Removal to Replace Speakers

Has anyone made a DIY to remove the rear deck to replace those factory speakers. If so can you point me in the right direction! Thanks in advace
Old 08-08-2017, 07:45 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
It is a long story that involves removing the back of the rear seat and the C pillars and replacing a couple of clips that will have to break during removal. But there are airbags in that area. So, not only you'll have to disconnect the battery for sure, but during re-installation you have to be careful to put everything together like before. So, there is a lot of danger involved here. If you can afford it take it to a dealership. Not so much because of the work involved, I am sure if you are careful you can do that yourself, but because of the liability related to insurance etc if things go bad. Airbags and triggers are very sensitive mechanisms and last thing you want is to explode in your face. Now, if you want to do all that yourself and you assume all responsibility then the shop repair manual is posted as a link to a PDF file in the main 4th gen TL forum and the instructions are in there how to do all that :

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...manual-899572/

Last edited by Tonyware; 08-08-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:52 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Tonyware
It is a long story that involves removing the back of the rear seat and the C pillars and replacing a couple of clips that will have to break during removal. But there are airbags in that area. So, not only you'll have to disconnect the battery for sure, but during re-installation you have to be careful to put everything together like before. So, there is a lot of danger involved here. If you can afford it take it to a dealership. Not so much because of the work involved, I am sure if you are careful you can do that yourself, but because of the liability related to insurance etc if things go bad. Airbags and triggers are very sensitive mechanisms and last thing you want is to explode in your face. Now, if you want to do all that yourself and you assume all responsibility then the shop repair manual is posted as a link to a PDF file in the main 4th gen TL forum and the instructions are in there how to do all that.
Thank you for your input it's greatly appreciated
Old 08-15-2017, 09:44 AM
zmt
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't have to completely remove the C-pillar. I was able to remove the rear shelf by pulling out all the clips aside from the ones you're supposed to pound out and pivoting the trim enough to remove the rear shelf cover. Aside from that it's not all that difficult. Seat back and bottom come out intuitively. Disconnect the battery to avoid accidental deployment of the air bags.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Jamelle,
If you go to the Technical Service Bulletins in this section above, click on 2012 TSBs and look up TSB 13-007. It will provide you a 9 page guide on how to get to the rear deck to replace a section that holds the subwoofer due to metal cracking. Shows how to get the seats out and the pillars above the rear deck. If you are putting in a heavier or more powerful subwoofer, you may want to beef up the sheet metal around the subwoofer as the stock sub was causing the cracking that led to this TSB. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:08 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dvd2012tl
Jamelle,
If you go to the Technical Service Bulletins in this section above, click on 2012 TSBs and look up TSB 13-007. It will provide you a 9 page guide on how to get to the rear deck to replace a section that holds the subwoofer due to metal cracking. Shows how to get the seats out and the pillars above the rear deck. If you are putting in a heavier or more powerful subwoofer, you may want to beef up the sheet metal around the subwoofer as the stock sub was causing the cracking that led to this TSB. Good luck.
thanks I actually was able to take it out and stop the rattle with some jb kwikweld and some dynamat. Hardest part was getting the seat out because I was doing it myself