Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Cam moved while doing timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Rear Cam moved while doing timing belt?

I'm in the process of reinstalling my timing belt. My crankshaft is TDC, so it my front cam - at 1. However my rear cam seems to have rotated counter clockwise a number of teeth and now its off. How to I readjust this to TDC on the mark without breaking anything? Thank you for any help.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:05 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a 17mm wrench and turn the rear cam back towards you. Make sure both cames are back at tdc and reinstall the tbelt. Apply tension to the belt then recheck tdc. Spin The crank clockwise a few cycles then recheck tdc to confirm its fixed. If spinning the crank by hand a few cycles, make sure if it gets real tight, timing is probably off
The following users liked this post:
teh CL (10-29-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 11:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ninjamotion
Take a 17mm wrench and turn the rear cam back towards you. Make sure both cames are back at tdc and reinstall the tbelt. Apply tension to the belt then recheck tdc. Spin The crank clockwise a few cycles then recheck tdc to confirm its fixed. If spinning the crank by hand a few cycles, make sure if it gets real tight, timing is probably off
I just wasn't sure which way to turn the cam pully, some refrences say only CCW, other doesn't matter. In any case I put the rear cam back to TDC and installed the belt. Couple revolutions and everything is TDC.

Question on coolant. Do I just refill the rad full, then the overflow tank to max and let the engine run for a bit on full hot with the tank overflow cap off to burp system?
Old 10-29-2017, 09:57 AM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jutes85
I just wasn't sure which way to turn the cam pully, some refrences say only CCW, other doesn't matter. In any case I put the rear cam back to TDC and installed the belt. Couple revolutions and everything is TDC.

Question on coolant. Do I just refill the rad full, then the overflow tank to max and let the engine run for a bit on full hot with the tank overflow cap off to burp system?
Big no no! You will just overheat. You have the car on heat on hot part right. Can also hold rev around 2k if you want to speed up the process. Let fan kick on 2 times.

I would prefer using a coolant fill funnel that comes with universal radiator fill caps. FULLY burps the system. Only $20-25 and universal. Brand i have is Lisle i believe.

All you have to do it watch the coolant in the funnel and wait until the fluid stops bubbling and voila you done diddly.
The following users liked this post:
teh CL (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ninjamotion
Big no no! You will just overheat. You have the car on heat on hot part right. Can also hold rev around 2k if you want to speed up the process. Let fan kick on 2 times.

I would prefer using a coolant fill funnel that comes with universal radiator fill caps. FULLY burps the system. Only $20-25 and universal. Brand i have is Lisle i believe.

All you have to do it watch the coolant in the funnel and wait until the fluid stops bubbling and voila you done diddly.
Just used a normal funnel and burped it for about 15min. Topped up the overflow tank and went for a drive, level in tank dropped a bit but nothing crazy. Heat blows hot so should be good for the winter. Spark plugs and oil next, everything seems to be due at 170k