Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine TL/TLX Community > Fourth Generation TL (2009-2014)
Reload this Page >

Re: Acuras Response to Oil Consumption master thread...

Notices

Re: Acuras Response to Oil Consumption master thread...

Old 07-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Re: Acuras Response to Oil Consumption master thread...

So, I'm looking at buying a 2012 SH AWD with 80k on it... that whole string scares me to death.

It's also a beast to try read through. Is there a cliff notes edition of what is going on here somewhere on the site? What is the solution, does it work, is Acura covering it for all, or just some owners? I had a paint issue with an Odyssey, and they only covered it if you were the original owner. I was the second.

Do I want to avoid the car altogether due to this issue? I've had to do the rings on a 3.5 in my Accord...and my 2012 Ody needs them for the second time... I'd rather not have to deal with that out of pocket again. That hurt.

Maybe I will get the GS350 after all. I'm kinda wearing thin on Honda. I've owned a LOT of their products and had great success with them up until about the 2009 model year. Then things went to pot it seems.

Are the 2012 TLs worth owning? I had an 05 TL and LOVED it until a bad transmission repair killed it off (long unrelated story) wanting to get back into the TL but maybe not if they are going to be a nightmare to own. Are there other things I should be aware of when looking at the vehicle?
Old 07-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by badbart View Post
So, I'm looking at buying a 2012 SH AWD with 80k on it... that whole string scares me to death.

It's also a beast to try read through. Is there a cliff notes edition of what is going on here somewhere on the site? What is the solution, does it work, is Acura covering it for all, or just some owners? I had a paint issue with an Odyssey, and they only covered it if you were the original owner. I was the second.

Do I want to avoid the car altogether due to this issue? I've had to do the rings on a 3.5 in my Accord...and my 2012 Ody needs them for the second time... I'd rather not have to deal with that out of pocket again. That hurt.

Maybe I will get the GS350 after all. I'm kinda wearing thin on Honda. I've owned a LOT of their products and had great success with them up until about the 2009 model year. Then things went to pot it seems.

Are the 2012 TLs worth owning? I had an 05 TL and LOVED it until a bad transmission repair killed it off (long unrelated story) wanting to get back into the TL but maybe not if they are going to be a nightmare to own. Are there other things I should be aware of when looking at the vehicle?
THE BASICS:
  1. Some cars have the excessive oil consumption problem and some don't
  2. Acura (USA) has extended the warranty on certain 2009 - 2014 TLs with 3.7 V6 engines to 8 years/125,000 miles or to September 1, 2019 regardless of milage.
The following users liked this post:
badbart (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Thank you. It isn't a universal issue. But one I would want to get checked out. So a 2012... would I have until 12/19 or 12/20 to file a claim?

Model year vs Calendar year math...

I'm guessing it would be 2019. I should check on my Odyssey and see if it is still under an extension for the second go round on it.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have the seller take care of the issue before you buy it or show you it isn't burning oil. There is going to be a bunch of TL's with new short blocks soon so you might just want to buy one that has been repaired.

I really like my TL and it has had very little problems. The only issue I have is the dealer service department is a hassle to deal with, always has been...
Old 07-08-2019, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

The closest Acura dealer has an awesome service department... unfortunately it is 2 hours away.

Buying from a dealer, but not an Acura dealer, I will send the VIN in to my dealer and see if they can pull anything up on it TSB/Recall wise.