Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about under hood items

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about under hood items

I purchased a 2013 Acura TL SH-AWD 6 speed. I wanted a new one and tried to order one, but my dealer couldn't get one. So I ended up with a very lightly used one despite my extreme fear of used cars. The CarFax is clean and I had a mechanic check it out who said everything looked perfect. That said, I'm still paranoid since it's a used car and looking under the hood I had a few questions.

The first one is I noticed here (not sure what this piece is called), that it had a number written on it. Does this look like it's been replaced with a junk yard part? I've never noticed writing on a factory car.

Name:  20140906_181445_zpsj6zjhbe7.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  108.0 KB

The next question I have is are these braces the body color? I've got a graphite gray car, but noticed these brackets were black. I feel like I'm being overly paranoid, but just wanted to see if they were the same color on the rest of you guys cars.
Name:  dae9667f-0f40-4b2a-aaea-f982fc6341b0_zps0600c02c.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  131.3 KB

Thanks guys.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:48 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
you're being overly paranoid.

Enjoy your car!!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:29 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
THIS FUSE IS NOT STOCK!

Old 09-07-2014, 12:31 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Good news...I purchased my '13 with 30 miles on it and it has the same writing and same bracket and my car is the same color as yours. Don't worry about it, enjoy it!!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:02 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just purchased a '14 CBP 6MT with 2.7k miles. It does not have that fuse. Also, the intake does have number written on it. .....I know how you feel after spending a good chunk of money on a used car. But, I think you are in good shape and have a good car. The fuse could just an aftermarket doodad that was removed.......the engine character and throttle response on mine has softened some. Hoping it just bad gas, but I've been thru 2 tanks now.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys. The fuse is for an aftermarket amplifier was installed. Not a huge concern imo, since I hooked the factory subwoofer back up and it sounded horrible. I see why he'd want an aftermarket subwoofer. What made me question these things is looking closely at it after washing it a few times I believe the front bumper has been repainted. I'm 99% sure that the dealer repainted to try to get rid of the rock chips, but I wanted to make sure everything else looked okay. I didn't noticed that it had been repainted when I thoroughly checked it out at the dealer, or even the first time I washed/dried it. The second time washing/drying it I noticed it. The reason I believe they did it to get rid of the rock chips. I can see a few small rock chips that look like they have been painted over. There are no signs of repair on the bumper other than this, the back of the bumper looks perfect, and everything behind the bumper looks perfect as well. None of the bolts behind the bumper have any marks on them to indicate they've been removed. I read online that it's common for many dealers to respray the front bumper to hide rock chips, so I'm pretty sure that's what happened here, but I wanted to make sure that the only two things I noticed which are what I took photo's of were normal. I wish I'd noticed it before buying it, or better yet I wish they'd left it alone and I'd just had the rock chips. The rest of the car looks perfect though inside and out along with a clean Carfax and Autocheck, so I feel like it's unlikely that there was any accident damage, I am just super paranoid with it as I don't like used cars to start with.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:40 AM
rock the block

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts
i can't stop laughing, please try to enjoy your new car.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:52 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
pics of rock chips please!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
The fact that you found a 13 in MT amazes me
Old 09-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Thanks guys. The fuse is for an aftermarket amplifier was installed. Not a huge concern imo, since I hooked the factory subwoofer back up and it sounded horrible. I see why he'd want an aftermarket subwoofer. .
Curious does your car have the technology package or no? If it does, then I think the previous owner is wasiting money by putting in an aftermarket amp and sub. I'm not an audiophile but the ELS system is one of the best among car stereos in the market. Here are some reviews:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-technolog...ead-units.html
http://www.panasonic.com/business/au...s/Reviews.aspx

If you think it sounds "horrible" after putting in the OEM sub, then you might want to the dealer to check the sound system to see if everything is working.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:16 PM
rock the block

^^ be prepared for the ELS nay-sayers to show up in the next little bit, there is quite the split impression on the quality of that system
Old 09-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Meh, let them. I like the OEM ELS. If you need to pump the bass so the entire neighborhood can hear then ELS is not for you. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:28 PM
rock the block

Originally Posted by dtc5
Meh, let them. I like the OEM ELS. If you need to pump the bass so the entire neighborhood can hear then ELS is not for you. Whatever floats your boat.
Different strokes for different folks I'm also a fan of the OEM setup, granted I will likely be upgrading the speakers this winter, moreso because it's a fun project.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Thanks guys. The fuse is for an aftermarket amplifier was installed. Not a huge concern imo, since I hooked the factory subwoofer back up and it sounded horrible. I see why he'd want an aftermarket subwoofer. What made me question these things is looking closely at it after washing it a few times I believe the front bumper has been repainted. I'm 99% sure that the dealer repainted to try to get rid of the rock chips, but I wanted to make sure everything else looked okay. I didn't noticed that it had been repainted when I thoroughly checked it out at the dealer, or even the first time I washed/dried it. The second time washing/drying it I noticed it. The reason I believe they did it to get rid of the rock chips. I can see a few small rock chips that look like they have been painted over. There are no signs of repair on the bumper other than this, the back of the bumper looks perfect, and everything behind the bumper looks perfect as well. None of the bolts behind the bumper have any marks on them to indicate they've been removed. I read online that it's common for many dealers to respray the front bumper to hide rock chips, so I'm pretty sure that's what happened here, but I wanted to make sure that the only two things I noticed which are what I took photo's of were normal. I wish I'd noticed it before buying it, or better yet I wish they'd left it alone and I'd just had the rock chips. The rest of the car looks perfect though inside and out along with a clean Carfax and Autocheck, so I feel like it's unlikely that there was any accident damage, I am just super paranoid with it as I don't like used cars to start with.
Did you buy it from an Acura dealer and it is a CPO? From what you're explaining, yes I think you are definitely being paranoid.

Congrats and enjoy the car..