Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:30 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering

I have a 2013 TL and my power steering is going in and out. "Check power steering system" alert flashes and will not stop. It went away for about a day and then displayed the message again. When the message is not appearing my steering works fine. Has anyone experienced this before?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:37 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
this is what I could find....
Originally Posted by Lex
I was attending a local High School tennis match with my Son.

We get in the car after the match only to see in the MID "CHECK POWER STEERING SYSTEM" displayed. WTF? The steering wheel will barely turn.

After several attempts at turning on/off the car, I get the car towed to the Acura dealer and await the news.

The computer that controls the Electronic Power Steering System is dead. The service writer kept saying, "We've never seen this before." I'm sure they don't have any 2012 TSX's with 73,000 miles either.

I expressed my concern that this shouldn't fail so early in the car's life. I asked the service writer to ask for some concession from Acura. I'm a 5-time Honda owner.
Acura threw me a bone (not 100% coverage but...).

This doesn't inspire confidence!!!
although the post is from a TSX, it's still an electronic power steering motor
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-...ailure-896558/

they even listed the EPS module part #

Last edited by justnspace; 06-22-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
The is a thread concerning this issue that might apply to your situation.
Search this forum for: EPS
Old 06-26-2017, 09:35 AM
2nd Gear

Thank you
Old 06-28-2017, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
I went through the replacement and troubleshooting of mine. Check my started threads.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had the same problem when I was driving on the highway. The EPS was trashed and the dealership wanted $1400 for it. Went back to them and ask for a concession, only paid $250 and Acura forked up the rest. The module is only like $500 but getting to it is a pain.

Make sure you tell your dealership to give Acura a call and not pay for the full amount. It is BS that this unit fails in less than 5 years of owning the car.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

Just went through this situation and it was very frustrating. I have a 2012 Acura TL with 116,500 miles on it. I left my car at the airport for 4 days for a trip. I get in it when I get back and the power steering is out. The tech said a low battery could have cause the EPS module to go out. So they replace the module and the battery and leave me with a $1,100 bill. I call Acura and make a claim, they offer me 50% to help. I took it because it was better than nothing, but still not happy about a $650 bill.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by fryrice
I had the same problem when I was driving on the highway. The EPS was trashed and the dealership wanted $1400 for it. Went back to them and ask for a concession, only paid $250 and Acura forked up the rest. The module is only like $500 but getting to it is a pain.

Make sure you tell your dealership to give Acura a call and not pay for the full amount. It is BS that this unit fails in less than 5 years of owning the car.
Originally Posted by wardchb8
Just went through this situation and it was very frustrating. I have a 2012 Acura TL with 116,500 miles on it. I left my car at the airport for 4 days for a trip. I get in it when I get back and the power steering is out. The tech said a low battery could have cause the EPS module to go out. So they replace the module and the battery and leave me with a $1,100 bill. I call Acura and make a claim, they offer me 50% to help. I took it because it was better than nothing, but still not happy about a $650 bill.
If your car is outside of the warranty window I'm not sure what you guys expected...

116k miles is absolutely well above and beyond the warranty of the vehicle. If it's a 2012 you're also outside of the year range. The module is ~$500 list price IIRC (it's in my thread) and is ~1-2 hours of labor. This should be a ~$700 total cost. Scroll down to see where my costs were

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...ailure-952083/
Old 05-13-2018, 09:32 AM
2nd Gear

2013 Acura TL - Power Steering Module (EPS) failed

Have an 2013 Acura TL with 77k miles, went to start the car in the garage this morning and the 'check power steering system' light came on. Good thing it happened at home and not somewhere else when i would have had to had it towed.

Checked the fuse under the hood and all was good, proceeding to get a replacement EPS module for install. Not a difficult job but getting it out of the space was a royal pain. Had to remove the fuse panel to drop it out of the way first. The part is a pricey one for sure - new 450 to 650 USD and used about 300 USD, decided to go ahead with a new one since the car still has plenty of life remaining. Will report back if the fix solves the problem.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:24 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by waygooder
Have an 2013 Acura TL with 77k miles, went to start the car in the garage this morning and the 'check power steering system' light came on. Good thing it happened at home and not somewhere else when i would have had to had it towed.

Checked the fuse under the hood and all was good, proceeding to get a replacement EPS module for install. Not a difficult job but getting it out of the space was a royal pain. Had to remove the fuse panel to drop it out of the way first. The part is a pricey one for sure - new 450 to 650 USD and used about 300 USD, decided to go ahead with a new one since the car still has plenty of life remaining. Will report back if the fix solves the problem.
Help.....I have an Acura 2013 TSX 83k miles. System failed. I’m in LA area. I’m going through this now. A couple months ago did the air bag recall. Then this. What was the final outcome? My quote total $1700 😩
Old 07-03-2018, 05:06 AM
2nd Gear

The fix for this power steering problem was replacement of the power steering module and then a reset of the steering wheel torque. The part was quoted from the dealer for 650 USD, however, I did find one online for 450 USD. Swapping out the part was not difficult, but getting to it required removal of the glove box and fuse panel on the passenger side --- about 45 minutes of work just to get to it. For the steering wheel torque reset, I found a thread online and followed the procedure but did not completely solve the issue. Ultimately took it to the dealer for them to do the steering wheel torque reset and all was fixed (200 USD). All in all, a bit frustrating to have this failure - but I do enjoy driving the car and it is paid for.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:32 PM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same issue happened on my car (2013 w/ 80k) while driving in rush hour traffic yesterday. One minute it was fine and then the dash lit up and practically no steering. The car was a brute to get off the highway and into a safe spot for towing. I have it sitting in my driveway now, waiting on a tow to the dealer. I read this post and a few others, so I called the local dealer this morning and they offered no help and assured me that this is not a common issue. I then called Acura to make a complaint, the gist of the conversation was NO Warranty = Not our problem. I am hoping that when I get it into the dealer and they offer an "official' diagnosis Acura will come to their senses. In the meantime I went to the NHTSA website and filed a complaint that this issue is common enough that something should be done about it and that when the steering fails, the occupants are at risk. I'll hold that in my back pocket for now.

For those that have had Acura pitch in, what was your conversation like? The guy on the phone with me was adamant that there's nothing they can do for a car with no extended warranty.

Side note: This gives me flashbacks to my 2008 A4 that had a crankshaft position sensor fail @156k... they extended the warranty on cars made through '07 that had under 150k for the same issue I experienced. Offered to fix mine as a courtesy only if I had less than 150k (even though it was an '08). So missed the year cut off and mileage cutoff = $3500 to rebuild the top end of engine. Not even 6 mo later the engine was toast because particulates from the demolished sensor got sucked up out of the oil pan and into the engine. Cue tremendous amounts of anger and my purchase of a slightly used Acura. Here I sit...
The following users liked this post:
mdb007 (01-24-2023)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:14 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
See TSB 19-021 - Warranty Extension: Steering Feels Heavy, EPS Indicator Blinks with No DTCs or Comes On Steady with DTC 32-09, 32-08, or 61-04 in the 2012, 2013, and 2014 TSB threads.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...inside-945434/