Sponsored by: DashLynx

Potential new buyer of 2012 TL with Tech

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 11:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential new buyer of 2012 TL with Tech

Hi there, new guy here. I'm looking at this TL:
used 2012 Acura TL for sale in Scottsdale Tempe Phoenix AZ. Earnhardt Lexus 19UUA8F51CA037025

I go them down to $15.996 before all the fees.

I test drove it earlier today and i really liked the ride. Are the any issues that are common on this model of TL?
I'm coming from a 2013 Accord V6 coupe manual.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
There are not much issues with the 2012+ FWD. Check if the airbag recall was done. Other than that it's solid. Tech package is highly recommended.

From the pictures, the driver seat looks worn but that might be the lighting. If you are okay with it, go for it.

As for the price, I think 16K is okay but not a great deal. My 13 Tech with similar mileage trade in value is around 13K and retail is around 16-17K. So I think the '12 should be a little less than 16K. Unless it's a CPO, I would be more happy with 14-15K range. But it also depends on your local market.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:53 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
There are not much issues with the 2012+ FWD. Check if the airbag recall was done. Other than that it's solid. Tech package is highly recommended.

From the pictures, the driver seat looks worn but that might be the lighting. If you are okay with it, go for it.

As for the price, I think 16K is okay but not a great deal. My 13 Tech with similar mileage trade in value is around 13K and retail is around 16-17K. So I think the '12 should be a little less than 16K. Unless it's a CPO, I would be more happy with 14-15K range. But it also depends on your local market.
Thanks for your reply. When I saw the seat last night, it didn't look brownish like it does in the pic. It was a dark so maybe that didn't help. I'm still going to check it out during the day.
There's not that many local 2012+ TL's in Phoenix.
There's this other 2012 for 15k with 45k miles. It looks like it's a base TL.
Used 2012 Graphite Luster Metallic Acura TL Auto For Sale in Arizona | 19UUA8F23CA025447

I would love a CPO but can't find any locally.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:55 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
If the service history is clean this car will run a long time, no known problem areas.. Price isn't too bad but you may be able to do a little better as already mentioned above.. Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2017, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
That's pretty much my exact car except I have the Taupe interior. I've put 70K miles on mine (purchased at 58K, now at 128K) and it's been relatively solid. The only issue I've had was a defective piston oil control ring which I think was a complete fluke. Otherwise, it's been great.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:58 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JT4
If the service history is clean this car will run a long time, no known problem areas.. Price isn't too bad but you may be able to do a little better as already mentioned above.. Good Luck!
Thanks!

The service history stops on CarFax in 2014 at with 28k miles. Does Acura have a website where service history can checked with VIN?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Drifting

Probably not, unless it was serviced by the dealer in which case, it would almost definitely be in the Carfax.

By the way, good choice on the Tech. It's an absolute MUST in these cars IMO. Unless you're a hardcore audiophile, you'll really like the stereo. Your nav might be outdated unless the previous owner updated it at the dealer. Mine still have 2012 maps that came stock :P Oh, and make sure it has the software update for the transmission as well as the Takata airbag recall. The dealer does both of those for free. Lastly, get rid of those wheels (eventually....). I saved mine for winter tires but frankly, I think they're ugly. I got me a set of Oz's pretty quick. And unless you're a racecar driver, I think you'll be happy with the handling. It's certainly not as good as the AWD but it's better than any stock vehicle I've driven. Quite good for a FWD car that weighs 3700lbs.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:11 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by LatinTL
Thanks!

The service history stops on CarFax in 2014 at with 28k miles. Does Acura have a website where service history can checked with VIN?
I know that on the Acura Owners website (Acura Owners Site Exclusive Knowledge, Service, & Benefits) you can sign up and add your service history, something I've done since the first service back in 2011. But I don't think you can find the service history from Acura. However, some Acura service departments may be willing to print you out a service history. I would call or go there and explain that you're in the process of buying a pre-owned TL from a Lexus dealer and are considering using them for your future service needs.. Never hurts to ask..
Old 09-21-2017, 11:12 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by losiglow
Probably not, unless it was serviced by the dealer in which case, it would almost definitely be in the Carfax.

By the way, good choice on the Tech. It's an absolute MUST in these cars IMO. Unless you're a hardcore audiophile, you'll really like the stereo. Your nav might be outdated unless the previous owner updated it at the dealer. Mine still have 2012 maps that came stock :P Oh, and make sure it has the software update for the transmission as well as the Takata airbag recall. The dealer does both of those for free. Lastly, get rid of those wheels (eventually....). I saved mine for winter tires but frankly, I think they're ugly. I got me a set of Oz's pretty quick. And unless you're a racecar driver, I think you'll be happy with the handling. It's certainly not as good as the AWD but it's better than any stock vehicle I've driven. Quite good for a FWD car that weighs 3700lbs.
Yeah. Probably the owner decided to the maintenance himself. Hopefully haha.
I would need to go a Acura dealer to get those updated right?
I did like the stereo when i turned it up last night. I'm not into subs or audiophile so it was good enough for me.
Yeah I'm not too fond of the wheels but they have Michelins on them right now so they would stay on the car for a while.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:14 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JT4
I know that on the Acura Owners website (Acura Owners Site Exclusive Knowledge, Service, & Benefits) you can sign up and add your service history, something I've done since the first service back in 2011. But I don't think you can find the service history from Acura. However, some Acura service departments may be willing to print you out a service history. I would call or go there and explain that you're in the process of buying a pre-owned TL from a Lexus dealer and are considering using them for your future service needs.. Never hurts to ask..
Good idea! I would end up going to that Acura dealer for some oil changes anyways.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:17 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Good idea! I would end up going to that Acura dealer for some oil changes anyways.
Exactly...
Old 09-21-2017, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Yes, go to the Acura dealer for the updates.

Mine came with the stock Michelins as well. I kept them on until they burned out. Not bad tires really. Surprisingly good in the snow. I got some OZ Ultraleggera's with some Continental DWS 06's after that. I have the new Continental WinterContact SI's on the stockies. Normally a Blizzak fan but we'll see how they do.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:33 AM
10th Gear

Yes, go to the Acura dealer for the updates.

Mine came with the stock Michelins as well. I kept them on until they burned out. Not bad tires really. Surprisingly good in the snow. I got some OZ Ultraleggera's with some Continental DWS 06's after that. I have the new Continental WinterContact SI's on the stockies. Normally a Blizzak fan but we'll see how they do.
Where did you get the OZ wheels? Lucky for me that I can run summer tires in AZ.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Drifting

I got mine on Tirerack, along with the tires. They mounted and balanced them for free before shipping.

I'd like to run summer but I tend to put my Winter tires on late and take them off early. Usually hit a storm or two before and after. I'm happy with the DWS in the summer and they're very good in winter weather which I usually hit a bit of. Nothing compared to dedicated Winter tires though.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:09 PM
10th Gear

I got mine on Tirerack, along with the tires. They mounted and balanced them for free before shipping.

I'd like to run summer but I tend to put my Winter tires on late and take them off early. Usually hit a storm or two before and after. I'm happy with the DWS in the summer and they're very good in winter weather which I usually hit a bit of. Nothing compared to dedicated Winter tires though.
I like Tirerack also. Have bought many tire sets from them.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:38 PM
10th Gear

Do you guys know when the timing belt change is due on these cars?
Old 09-22-2017, 10:14 AM
Drifting

105K. It's a debated topic, but I believe that's a very conservative interval. I went to 127K before I changed mine (just a few weeks ago) and all my components looked brand new. Still, if you want to stick to the manufacturer recommended interval, 105K is the official mileage for the timing belt service. This includes the belt tensioner and pulley, water pump and belt.

I like Tirerack also. Have bought many tire sets from them.
Me too, but we have a tire chain here, Discount Tire, that matches Tireracks prices. I've typically gone to them. But with the wheels, it was all Tirerack. Local places don't carry lighterweight wheels.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:58 AM
10th Gear

105K. It's a debated topic, but I believe that's a very conservative interval. I went to 127K before I changed mine (just a few weeks ago) and all my components looked brand new. Still, if you want to stick to the manufacturer recommended interval, 105K is the official mileage for the timing belt service. This includes the belt tensioner and pulley, water pump and belt.

Me too, but we have a tire chain here, Discount Tire, that matches Tireracks prices. I've typically gone to them. But with the wheels, it was all Tirerack. Local places don't carry lighterweight wheels.
Okay cool. I still have some time until the change is needed. Looks like I'm closing the deal on this TL today. They matched the KBB price of $15,700 and I'm good with that. I'm going to inspect it on the lift since it's not a CPO and i don't plan on buying an extended warranty. I'm not sure if I could buy an Acura warranty warranty anyways since the car is 5 yrs and 67k miles.

Oh I should check out Discount Tire too since we have them in AZ also.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:04 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Yeah very debated topic LOL. Acura used to recommend 105K or 7 years, but somewhere along the way Acura changed the owners manual to read; "Timing belt should be replaced according to maintenance minder, or @ 60K if the car has been used in extreme conditions such as very hot or very cold temperatures." So basically meaning not until a "4"appears on the Sub Menu in the Maintenance Minder.

IMO 105K is a good interval as already mentioned.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:16 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JT4
Yeah very debated topic LOL. Acura used to recommend 105K or 7 years, but somewhere along the way Acura changed the owners manual to read; "Timing belt should be replaced according to maintenance minder, or @ 60K if the car has been used in extreme conditions such as very hot or very cold temperatures." So basically meaning not until a "4"appears on the Sub Menu in the Maintenance Minder.

IMO 105K is a good interval as already mentioned.
Hmmm well it's very hot here haha. Do you know how much is the job at Acura? about 1k?
Old 09-22-2017, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I second 105K miles or 7 years. It probably costs about 1200 at Acura. Sometimes they run special which is about 1K. Honda dealers may charge 800. An indy should charge around 600 for the job.