Possible torque converter issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 12:55 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possible torque converter issue

When driving sometimes i notice my rpms bounce a little bit and have read up on the issues. I brought it into acura seeing as i have powertrain warranty for a couple more years. The tech claims to not be able to reproduce the bouncing rpms and i asked them to take a ride with me but they refused. I would appreciate any insight people have to force them to replace it under warranty. I mention it to them everytime but the "friendly" rep at service remembers me and reminds me there is "nothing wrong".
Old 03-25-2019, 05:25 AM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
That’s when you call Acura Corporate and have them take care of things. I had a dealership like yours refuse to change the gurgling external transmission filter on my 2013 FWD TL. So I called another dealer and asked if they do warranty repairs which they replied yes and I haven’t had a problem since. Make sure you tell them that you called Acura Client Services and they ok’d the repair. Print out the torque converter failure tsb on here and show that to dealer as well.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:53 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Yeah, bring a copy of the TSB. Dealerships are often ignorant of the very cars they sell. I believe the TSB also includes the software update, which will help if it hasn't been done already.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:01 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kinuto
That’s when you call Acura Corporate and have them take care of things. I had a dealership like yours refuse to change the gurgling external transmission filter on my 2013 FWD TL. So I called another dealer and asked if they do warranty repairs which they replied yes and I haven’t had a problem since. Make sure you tell them that you called Acura Client Services and they ok’d the repair. Print out the torque converter failure tsb on here and show that to dealer as well.
Dude i has the gurlge too and read up on here about it and found out about the tranny filter. The same rep tried to charge me 350 dollars to reppace it and i said wtf isnt it covered under warranty and he apparently had to "jump through hoops" to get it covered under warranty. Looks like im going to another dealership. Also about the tsb. I showed them the tsb here and they claimed its only in the usa and to "not believe everything i read on the internet."
Old 03-25-2019, 05:37 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Keep putting up a fight that’s what I did. If they don’t like it you find another dealer! It’s covered under warranty the external filter. Only thing my car hasn’t had is this update everyone is talking about but I think it was done before I purchased the vehicle. Dealer claims my car doesn’t need the updated software.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:10 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Scampoli
Dude i has the gurlge too and read up on here about it and found out about the tranny filter. The same rep tried to charge me 350 dollars to reppace it and i said wtf isnt it covered under warranty and he apparently had to "jump through hoops" to get it covered under warranty. Looks like im going to another dealership. Also about the tsb. I showed them the tsb here and they claimed its only in the usa and to "not believe everything i read on the internet."
Not sure which dealership you go to but Maple Acura is pretty good and is very familiar with all the TSB etc.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ahh... Sounds so familiar. They can't reproduce it. And then, they will blame your driving style (perhaps your next visit). Then comes the warranty claim denial. -- all for a known issue.

I had a tech go for a ride in my 4g and he experienced the torque converter issue multiple times during the drive. Hours later, the service advisor said they can't reproduce the issue and it's my day driving style. This seems to be the official fallback line to deny claims.

Between this torque converter, then the engine burning oil, and warranty claim denials, this is when I bolted for Lexus after being die-hard faithful to Honda for 20 years.

I wish you the best of luck. Perhaps try another dealer?

It's a shame because the 4G is an excellent car, excluding the oil and torque converter issues. It was hard for me to sell my 4g but I didn't want to conduct business with the dealership or company any longer.
The following users liked this post:
mdb007 (04-14-2019)