Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Possible Future Owner - Center Console Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Possible Future Owner - Center Console Question

Is it possible to run a power cord from the 12V socket in the center console up and into the retractable storage compartment? Basically I want to know if I can keep my phone in there but be able to have it hooked up to the charger at the same time.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Do you mean .. can you run the wire up, inside the compartmant/drawer from the backside?
There is a groove made for allowing the wire to exit the glove box towards the shifter on the right side. I use that and lave about a foot of cable sticking out to power up my Galaxy S that has the mini HDMI connection on the top of the phone.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

Can you have a phone inside the compartment, with it retracted, and have power going to it?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
As it is right now it's possible but that would be a nice mod. I can't imagine it would be too hard. Just drill a hole in the bottom of the cubby I would think?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by omaralt
As it is right now it's possible but that would be a nice mod. I can't imagine it would be too hard. Just drill a hole in the bottom of the cubby I would think?
Drill, high explosives, lasers...whatever works.

The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (09-23-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
The sliding tray is just over an inch deep (not quite an inch and a quarter) and about 5 1/2 inches in length. An iphone4 with charger attached will fit lengthwise. Some of the brickish droids might not fit.

The issue I think you'd have would be drilling into the tray. It would drill fine and allow a a cable through it while it was open, but there's very minimal clearance on the underside between where it rests and the rest of the console. While open - no big deal, trying to close it - the cable would bind up, unless you hack up the whole console...which might work, but yeah - probably a bad idea.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
I'm certain there is a safe way to make it happen; I have not tried it yet. Maybe let the dealer take care of it so if anything gets broken it's on them?

I have the HTC EVO, which is one of the larger Android phones (at least in surface area). It fits into the phone compartment fine (and I might add, works exceptionally well with the HFL system).
Old 09-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I have the HTC EVO, which is one of the larger Android phones (at least in surface area). It fits into the phone compartment fine (and I might add, works exceptionally well with the HFL system).
I had the EVO (just gave it to my wife) and have the Evo 3D, so good to know they will fit!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by shappy
Drill, high explosives, lasers...whatever works.

lol! I needed a laugh today, thanks shappy!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
you do know that there is a little area where you can slip a charger through on the center console..

it might not be on the retractable storage comparment, but its right under there.

what i do is i have mine plugged inside the storage comparment with the wire sticking out.

next time if you have a chance to get into a 4g tl, open the compartment, there should be a notch made for wires to go through.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Intermediate

Yep, I see it here...

At least there is that.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
I do the same as potmilkz. I keep my charger plugged in and run the cord through the slot. Then just have my phone rest in the rear cupholder while it's charging.

If I understand correctly, the part some have mentioned drilling may not look too clean afterward due to the fabric. Also, my charger plugs in to the bottom of my phone so even if I drilled that cubby there wouldn't be enough space to hold my phone and have the cord sticking out. Not sure if yours is the same or not.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
The lack of a way to get a power cord to the retractable drawer is one of my pet peeves about some the TL interior features. If I'm driving any great distance, I will place my phone inside the console and attach the charger to the power port in there. Since I can make and receive calls via the hands free feature, I guess it's not really that big a deal.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
i find an integra has enough space for all my mobile device needs lol.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
LOL, That is such a busy dashboard.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just want to note that almost any modern smartphone will charge off USB, you don't need to use the 12V socket. I find it funny that I've met people with essentially the same phone as mine who had no idea that plug-in charger was nothing more than a USB cable to the transformer/plug. You unplug the USB from the plug transformer and it's just a USB cable you can plug into a computer or a car with a USB socket. Basically, if your phone has a mini or micro USB socket then you just need a normal mini/micro to standard USB cable to plug into the car or computer or whatever.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by normallywho
I just want to note that almost any modern smartphone will charge off USB, you don't need to use the 12V socket. I find it funny that I've met people with essentially the same phone as mine who had no idea that plug-in charger was nothing more than a USB cable to the transformer/plug. You unplug the USB from the plug transformer and it's just a USB cable you can plug into a computer or a car with a USB socket. Basically, if your phone has a mini or micro USB socket then you just need a normal mini/micro to standard USB cable to plug into the car or computer or whatever.
Partially true.

I think the USB has power at like half an amp or something. It will charge, but it's not going to charge anything fast. Some of these new smartphones have 2 amp power supplies.

In English, using the 2amp charger on a 2amp phone; it's adding 30% charge to your battery on a 20 minute drive vs adding 7% if you use the USB (assuming it's half an amp). I know it's not as powerful when charging the iphone as any of the lighter-plug based chargers I've used.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by normallywho
While this is true, most USB ports can not deliver enough amperage to properly charge a modern smartphone that is running full tilt. But even if it could, I will be using the USB socket to attach a thumbdrive for music, which offers superior sound quality vs streaming music over bluetooth.