AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   New owner, Just replaced clutch, car feels like stalling (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/new-owner-just-replaced-clutch-car-feels-like-stalling-979222/)

4gBWP 05-01-2019 07:55 PM

New owner, Just replaced clutch, car feels like stalling

Hey all,

I’m the new owner of a 2012 TL SH-AWD. Car had about 56k miles when I got it and I put about 1500 since then.

It is my first manual car and unfortunately I burned the clutch a bit while I was learning. I needed to replace the ball joints (dealer supplied) and figured I could save a little on labor costs by replacing the clutch at the same time. While the clutch didn’t need to be replaced at that moment, the engagement point was very high and shifting into 2nd was becoming more and more difficult every day, I felt it was detrimental to learning how to drive stick.

Fast forward to today, I just picked up the car from the mechanic after a 2-day job on the clutch, and I feel the clutch has very little resistance compared to before. About the same resistance as pressing the gas pedal. Additionally, the clutch begins to bite after I lift off about an inch before, which is vastly different than what it was before when it was near the top of the pedal throw.
This wouldn’t really pose a problem, except that it feels like the car is stalling as soon as the clutch begins to grab. Giving it gas when the clutch grabs doesn’t help either, as it feels like the car is shaking itself to death until the clutch pedal is near the top. Shifting into gears is okay, but trying to move around in 1st and reverse feels like I’m making a lot of wear on the brand new clutch.

Has this been typical of anyone else who has replaced their clutch? Before, I was able to get the car moving from a stop with just the clutch (but I know that lugs the engine so I don’t do that anymore), but now the car does not move at all at the biting point and instead it will shake and feel like it will stall.

TheMuffinMan 05-02-2019 09:42 AM

Maybe have someone that hasn't destroyed a clutch in 1500 miles drive the car and see what they think?

You can adjust the clutch engagement point for the pedal.

4gBWP 05-02-2019 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan (Post 16420246)
Maybe have someone that hasn't destroyed a clutch in 1500 miles drive the car and see what they think?

You can adjust the clutch engagement point for the pedal.

The clutch was on its way out but I wouldn't say I "destroyed" it. The first two weeks was a learning experience before I fully got the hang of it. Its not like the car could not be driven. There was no slippage throughout the rpm range before the replacement. I only replaced the clutch as it often felt like I was locked out of 2nd gear, requiring more force than expected to get the shifter in there.

I've seen the thread about adjusting the engagement point, but is it possible to adjust the engagement point to where it either doesnt fully disengage or engage?

I've also seen other threads elsewhere that indicate that new clutches shudder/shake for the first few hundred miles. Even so, the spongy pedal feeling with little resistance makes me feel uneasy, especially when everyone on here states that their clutch engages high up.

justnspace 05-02-2019 10:25 AM

no way should a new clutch shudder and shake for the first few hundred miles.

justnspace 05-02-2019 10:26 AM

with that being said; it sounds like the pedal position is at play here. see if an adjustment can be made at the pedal

Anicra 05-03-2019 09:13 PM

Still cannot believe TheMuffinMan sold his TL. Ya have someone else drive who is fluent in clutch, see what they think. Or have a local trust-able shop drive it once.

TheMuffinMan 05-07-2019 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Anicra (Post 16421442)
Still cannot believe TheMuffinMan sold his TL. Ya have someone else drive who is fluent in clutch, see what they think. Or have a local trust-able shop drive it once.

:(

If it makes you feel better I don't love the Golf R. Will probably swap it out for something else in a year or so. TL was a comfy cruiser.