Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Member - Looking @ 2012 TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member - Looking @ 2012 TL

Hi, been lurking for a week and decided to say "Hi"

Been on a car search for almost 2 years now.
Looking for something that is sporty and fun to drive but also comfortable.
I have looked at almost everything out there - 370Z, Mustang, 335i, S4, Genesis Coupe, G37 and just can't really find what I want.

I never looked at the 10/11 TL - just didn't like the looks, but as the 11 was growing on me the 12's came out - I like them better.
I have always like Acura interiors and the seats are always really comfortable.

Tried to test drive a 12 SH-AWD Advance this weekend but the dealer did not have one. Been trying to research them online but not my drive reviews of the 12 are up yet. Dealer is supposed to call when they arrive.

For some reason this car really has me excited. Looks like it should be a great DD and a nice performance sedan also.

I have been trying to find 0-60 times on the SH-AWD Adavance and just find estimates. Anybody have solid numbers yet?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
MD-DRIVER, welcome! As I posted in another thread, I had the chance to drive the 2012 TL with Elite package (same as the Advance package in the States) last week. It's a great car! Since I had a 2010 TL SH-AWD 5AT before, I was able to compare the two cars. The new 6AT is more responsive and faster. I like it even better than my 2010 (and I already LOVED my 2010 TL SH-AWD before!). I don't have solid numbers though. However, you will find it to be a great daily driver and performance sedan. Go for it!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome! I too am a new member. You'll definitely love this car once you get the chance to get behind the wheel. IMHO, SH-AWD is what truly separates this car from some of the other ones you were considering. I wasn't a big fan of the 4th gen's look either, but it has grown on me. The '12 is nice but a little too toned down for me, imo. Nonetheless this is a great dd and tell us what you think after you get to drive it.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Two years? Wow. I've been lookin' for a couple of months myself. Was going to go for an '11 V6 TSX but was pretty disappointed to see pink tail lights. Plus, no point now that the TL has a new face and 6 speed auto.

Now that the '12 Tl is out, I'm looking at the Advanced FWD. No real use for AWD in Dallas TX. Hardly ever snows and no back roads. Gonna try my hardest to go look at one tomorrow (damn schedule).
Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Advanced

I know, 2 years is crazy.
I have a truck that I have been driving since 03 that I will most likely keep, so it's going to be a 2nd car for me. There is no real need for a new car, it's more of a want.

Early on I had been focusing on a sports car - drove a 370Z, Cayman, TT and I was all set on buying a 2011 370Z (which I still love) but on my last test drive I just could not get really comfortable, so after that I started looking at more comfortable cars.

I really like the TSX a lot, I think it actually looks nicer the the TL, but I want something with some more performance and speaking to salesman and reading about the V6 TSX - it's just not a great car. From what I understand the car was built for a 4 not a 6. Also I do not want a FWD car, really wanted a RWD but I like the idea of the SH-AWD. Not if they made a V6 TSX SH-AWD - I may give it a look.

I want the SH-AWD for perfromance, it's fun to be able to push the car in turns and on of/off ramps. Also there is the added security in rain - AWD these days is really not just for snow.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:53 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Welcome buddy....

are you married ? or do you use all 4 doors ? or do you have a baby on his/her way ? or do you generally like sedans ?

IF ALL the answers are NO then i would highly recommend a Ford Mustang or Chevy Camaro or 370Z or 335i/G37 coupes....

If ANY of the answers are yes then I would say go for the 2012 TL....i think it looks 100x better than the current version....even thow you will get the 2011 for killer deals....or get the 2011 and with the money saved throw an RJ lip kit + RJ grill + nice rims and you will be golden
Old 03-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by MD-DRIVER
I know, 2 years is crazy.
I have a truck that I have been driving since 03 that I will most likely keep, so it's going to be a 2nd car for me. There is no real need for a new car, it's more of a want.

Early on I had been focusing on a sports car - drove a 370Z, Cayman, TT and I was all set on buying a 2011 370Z (which I still love) but on my last test drive I just could not get really comfortable, so after that I started looking at more comfortable cars.

I really like the TSX a lot, I think it actually looks nicer the the TL, but I want something with some more performance and speaking to salesman and reading about the V6 TSX - it's just not a great car. From what I understand the car was built for a 4 not a 6. Also I do not want a FWD car, really wanted a RWD but I like the idea of the SH-AWD. Not if they made a V6 TSX SH-AWD - I may give it a look.

I want the SH-AWD for perfromance, it's fun to be able to push the car in turns and on of/off ramps. Also there is the added security in rain - AWD these days is really not just for snow.

MD-River, welcome, is the MD for Maryland if so what part? I worked in the District of Columbia and lived in Maryland for a while before moving further south.

You're choices are diverse like mine were, tough task finding something comparable to a RWD vehicle that isn't one itself. I love the balance of the Cayman Type S....test drove the 370Z Nissmo, very nice car.

The TL SH-AWD is a gem from what I've experienced in my time with it. The look is polarizing yet the overall performance thrills. The steering issues of FWD are resolved with the AWD, and the size and weight have turned some off, but I think that is one of the things that helps it in sit on the road fairly well.

There are other cars Like the Infiniti, MB, BMW that you may want to consider sliding in before making a decision. Cars are like a good pair of shoes, the support, fit, materials, and construction are numerous things to consider.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by swoosh
Welcome buddy....

are you married ? or do you use all 4 doors ? or do you have a baby on his/her way ? or do you generally like sedans ?

IF ALL the answers are NO then i would highly recommend a Ford Mustang or Chevy Camaro or 370Z or 335i/G37 coupes....

If ANY of the answers are yes then I would say go for the 2012 TL....i think it looks 100x better than the current version....even thow you will get the 2011 for killer deals....or get the 2011 and with the money saved throw an RJ lip kit + RJ grill + nice rims and you will be golden
Married w/kids but like I said, I have a truck that I am going to keep - so number of seats/doors is not an issue.

I do like the mustang will have to drive the 5.0 before I make a final decision.

Don't care at all for the interior of the Camaro

Drove and like the 335i - but I am worried about quality over the long haul - I am also not sure it's really worth the price - but I will have to drive them again also before making a desicion

also like the G37 coupe but was not comfortable at all in the seats - which is a shame since I really liked the car.

test drove a Audi S4 this weekend, that's a really nice fast car, but again, not sure if it's worth the money over the TL

- I have a difficult time these days spending a lot of cash on a depreciating asset. I would like to stay south of $50,000
Old 03-28-2011, 01:19 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Married w/kids but like I said, I have a truck that I am going to keep - so number of seats/doors is not an issue.

I do like the mustang will have to drive the 5.0 before I make a final decision.

Don't care at all for the interior of the Camaro

Drove and like the 335i - but I am worried about quality over the long haul - I am also not sure it's really worth the price - but I will have to drive them again also before making a desicion

also like the G37 coupe but was not comfortable at all in the seats - which is a shame since I really liked the car.

test drove a Audi S4 this weekend, that's a really nice fast car, but again, not sure if it's worth the money over the TL

- I have a difficult time these days spending a lot of cash on a depreciating asset. I would like to stay south of $50,000

I would say test drive the Mustang 5.0 ...

the only reason i said 335i is because the 4 year no maintenance promotion....so you wont pay a dime for 4 years and then if u want, u can sell that car off and venture to experience something new....

TL is a beautiful car....seems like Acura has found all the links to making an awesome car....but something is missing....TL is an awesome family car.....but if you want something fun to drive, i would not get the TL....you end up spending an arm and a leg to make it quicker....5K+ for a supercharger....around 10K for a turbo....and its not been around for long....

just food for thought....
Old 03-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^+1
Old 03-28-2011, 02:50 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Hi, been lurking for a week and decided to say "Hi"

Been on a car search for almost 2 years now.
Looking for something that is sporty and fun to drive but also comfortable.
I have looked at almost everything out there - 370Z, Mustang, 335i, S4, Genesis Coupe, G37 and just can't really find what I want.

I never looked at the 10/11 TL - just didn't like the looks, but as the 11 was growing on me the 12's came out - I like them better.
I have always like Acura interiors and the seats are always really comfortable.

Tried to test drive a 12 SH-AWD Advance this weekend but the dealer did not have one. Been trying to research them online but not my drive reviews of the 12 are up yet. Dealer is supposed to call when they arrive.

For some reason this car really has me excited. Looks like it should be a great DD and a nice performance sedan also.

I have been trying to find 0-60 times on the SH-AWD Adavance and just find estimates. Anybody have solid numbers yet?
Two years? I'm always looking at cars even when I'm not in the market. The passion never seems to end.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you what I would pick!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jspagna1
Two years? I'm always looking at cars even when I'm not in the market. The passion never seems to end.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you what I would pick!
I am sort of the same way, I really love to shop for and research cars.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Sh-awd

Originally Posted by Kronos595
Two years? Wow. I've been lookin' for a couple of months myself. Was going to go for an '11 V6 TSX but was pretty disappointed to see pink tail lights. Plus, no point now that the TL has a new face and 6 speed auto.

Now that the '12 Tl is out, I'm looking at the Advanced FWD. No real use for AWD in Dallas TX. Hardly ever snows and no back roads. Gonna try my hardest to go look at one tomorrow (damn schedule).
You should consider the SH-AWD. I live in San Diego, but was GLAD I got the 2010 SH-AWD. It is like night and day in the way the car handles!!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
You should consider the SH-AWD. I live in San Diego, but was GLAD I got the 2010 SH-AWD. It is like night and day in the way the car handles!!
If I do buy a TL it will be a 2012 SH-AWD Advance
Old 03-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Something no one in this thread has mentioned yet, is that the TL (and other Acura models with the ELS audio system) has by far one of the best OEM audio systems available today.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by n-spring
Something no one in this thread has mentioned yet, is that the TL (and other Acura models with the ELS audio system) has by far one of the best OEM audio systems available today.
It Sure Does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
The best, not one of the best. See Edmunds.com review.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD Tech Adv

I drove a 2012 TL SH-AWD automatic with Advance package today and liked it, except for what seemed to be some torque steer when accelerating hard from rest. Has anyone else experienced this? I thought the TL was more entertaining than the 2012 BMW 535ix that I drove yesterday; the BMW is, I think, grossly overpriced. I also drove a 2012 Infiniti M37X, which trumped the TL in features, but seemed more of a highway cruiser than a canyon carver.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SLLAZ
I drove a 2012 TL SH-AWD automatic with Advance package today and liked it, except for what seemed to be some torque steer when accelerating hard from rest. Has anyone else experienced this? I thought the TL was more entertaining than the 2012 BMW 535ix that I drove yesterday; the BMW is, I think, grossly overpriced. I also drove a 2012 Infiniti M37X, which trumped the TL in features, but seemed more of a highway cruiser than a canyon carver.
I'm sure you meant 2011 being the 2012s are not being built yet. If you can afford the 535, test drive it with the M Sport package or sport package. Or save 20k and buy the TL which is a fine car.

Last edited by Hamma Tyme; 03-29-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by n-spring
absolutely!
That is one huge positive - can't stand the crappy Bose system in my current truck and a lot of cars out there
Old 03-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme
I'm sure you meant 2011 being the 2012s are not being built yet. If you can afford the 535, test drive it with the M Sport package or sport package. Or save 20k and buy the TL which is a fine car.
Did they actually offer the advance package in 2011
I think the poster is correct that he drove a 12 - I have seen a few on the dealers lot
Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 AM
2012 TL SH-AWD Tech Adv

2012 TL is correct.

I did drive a 2012 TL, but the Infiniti and BMW models were 2011. I liked the interior design of the TL best, but the M37x has a much larger and better shaped trunk and a roomier rear seat. BMW doesn't offer suspension alternatives to its AWD variants, unlike its RWD models. I'm inclined to get the M56x for its engine and quietness, though it's slightly less enjoyable in the curves. Swapping the v-rated all-season tires for grippier tires on the TL and the M models should improve roadholding. I also drove a 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8. It's fast and loaded with features, but the seats and suspension are too soft for me; it's a terrific deal at $43,000. Lexus is likely to offer a new GS soon, but I am ready to buy now.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM
10th Gear

Thats cool.........Good Luck with BMW. I am looking at purchasing the TL 2012 Advance Model. The manager just called me and stated a white TL will be in a few weeks April 11. I cant wait until it arrives. The Acura suits me because it has all the bells and whistle for under 45K........U cant beat that.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Advanced

I did drive a 2012 TL, but the Infiniti and BMW models were 2011. I liked the interior design of the TL best, but the M37x has a much larger and better shaped trunk and a roomier rear seat. BMW doesn't offer suspension alternatives to its AWD variants, unlike its RWD models. I'm inclined to get the M56x for its engine and quietness, though it's slightly less enjoyable in the curves. Swapping the v-rated all-season tires for grippier tires on the TL and the M models should improve roadholding. I also drove a 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8. It's fast and loaded with features, but the seats and suspension are too soft for me; it's a terrific deal at $43,000. Lexus is likely to offer a new GS soon, but I am ready to buy now.

I think the BMW & TL are in a different class then the M56 & Genesis

The BMW & TL are intended to be sporty with stiffer suspensions
while the M & Genesis are more of a lux cruiser with straight line power

IMO a car that can handle twisties is more fun to drive then raw horsepower
Old 03-30-2011, 09:51 AM
2012 TL SH-AWD Tech Adv

BMW sportiness

I think the BMW & TL are in a different class then the M56 & Genesis

The BMW & TL are intended to be sporty with stiffer suspensions
while the M & Genesis are more of a lux cruiser with straight line power

IMO a car that can handle twisties is more fun to drive then raw horsepower
A BMW rwd sedan may be sportier, but a BMW awd sedan is unavailable with the options that make its rwd sedan so compelling. Then there is the matter of reliability and that's where BMW falls short, not to mention that I didn't care for its interior design and its price was absurdly higher. I've done track time and I don't envision driving as I did on the track on the road. By the way, my daily driver is a 2007 Subaru Legacy spec.B with a six-speed manual and a turbo 4. It's a well balanced machine and fun to drive.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Advanced

A BMW rwd sedan may be sportier, but a BMW awd sedan is unavailable with the options that make its rwd sedan so compelling. Then there is the matter of reliability and that's where BMW falls short, not to mention that I didn't care for its interior design and its price was absurdly higher. I've done track time and I don't envision driving as I did on the track on the road. By the way, my daily driver is a 2007 Subaru Legacy spec.B with a six-speed manual and a turbo 4. It's a well balanced machine and fun to drive.
I agree that BMW is behind the times on interior design, but I still like it. It's subtle and not over done in a classy sort of way. Acura/Honda tends to go a little button crazy. My wife's pilot has so many buttons I forget what they do, and I am a techno geek. I also agree that their cars are expensive, but the pricing is really inline with what the other germans (MB, Audi) charge, I really think it's that acura seems to give you a lot for your money, so when you compare other cars, it makes them seem expensive. As far as reliability, I also agree with that, but they do offer something like 4-5 years of free maintenance on everything. That can add up and provide some extra security.

I did dirve and Audi S4 - great car, very nice interior, fast and sporty - but $14K more then a TL SH-AWD advance and also has a reliability issue.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Intermediate

I agree that BMW is behind the times on interior design, but I still like it. It's subtle and not over done in a classy sort of way. Acura/Honda tends to go a little button crazy. My wife's pilot has so many buttons I forget what they do, and I am a techno geek. I also agree that their cars are expensive, but the pricing is really inline with what the other germans (MB, Audi) charge, I really think it's that acura seems to give you a lot for your money, so when you compare other cars, it makes them seem expensive. As far as reliability, I also agree with that, but they do offer something like 4-5 years of free maintenance on everything. That can add up and provide some extra security.

I did dirve and Audi S4 - great car, very nice interior, fast and sporty - but $14K more then a TL SH-AWD advance and also has a reliability issue.
I used to own a 2004 Audi S4, and it's the little things falling apart that are the big annoyance. Headliner was crap and screwed up the sunroof, wood trim got chips in it, the right under side skirt got a giant tear in it (don't ask me how, probably valet parking). German cars won't ever leave you stranded (at least from my experience), but the littler things start to crap out.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kronos595
I used to own a 2004 Audi S4, and it's the little things falling apart that are the big annoyance. Headliner was crap and screwed up the sunroof, wood trim got chips in it, the right under side skirt got a giant tear in it (don't ask me how, probably valet parking). German cars won't ever leave you stranded (at least from my experience), but the littler things start to crap out.
I would say that's with every car and any brand that I have ever owned, not exclusive to Audi
Old 03-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I am sort of the same way, I really love to shop for and research cars.
Me toooo.

You've come to the right place while looking at the right car!!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I always wonder about the benefits of the free maintenance plans considering that Acura maintenance are not that expensive compared to the German competitors and in the case of the BMWs, they don't required much maintenance during the first 4 years. Just asking...
Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Did they actually offer the advance package in 2011
I think the poster is correct that he drove a 12 - I have seen a few on the dealers lot
Actually I was referring to the OP's reference to the 2012 BMW 535 in his post. The 2012 is not out being I purchased a 2011 recently. 2012 BMW 535 should be out after Labor Day weekend.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme
Actually I was referring to the OP's reference to the 2012 BMW 535 in his post. The 2012 is not out being I purchased a 2011 recently. 2012 BMW 535 should be out after Labor Day weekend.
sorry, my bad

I heard there is a refresh coming on the '12 3-Series
Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
The best, not one of the best. See Edmunds.com review.
I have a Porsche Cayman S 2010 that I bought 3 months after the TL with the tech package and I can tell you the Bose system in the Cayman is noticable better then the TL sound. I often drive the cars a few minutes apart and I have proved it to myself many times over.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Little Gator
I have a Porsche Cayman S 2010 that I bought 3 months after the TL with the tech package and I can tell you the Bose system in the Cayman is noticable better then the TL sound. I often drive the cars a few minutes apart and I have proved it to myself many times over.

"noticable better" is subjective. I personally do not like the bose systems. I have one in my current vehicle. I really don't care for any of the bose stuff at all, the home stuff is all over priced for the quality they deliver. You can find much higher quality and better sounding in the same price range. I just don't like the sound their speakers produce.

Almost every TL review I read points out how nice the ELS system is, can't remember a review talking about bose greatness. Just saying....
Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't have hearing of audio test equipment, especially when in a car driving along with a motor just a few inches behind me making lots of its' own music, and wind noise all around from open windows. And I don't know one stereo brand from the next, except that Bose is the name on this one. I think the better sound has more to do with the car being smaller inside with less seats and surfaces for the sounds to bounce off of..............and speakers not made of all plastic.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Little Gator
I don't have hearing of audio test equipment, especially when in a car driving along with a motor just a few inches behind me making lots of its' own music, and wind noise all around from open windows. And I don't know one stereo brand from the next, except that Bose is the name on this one. I think the better sound has more to do with the car being smaller inside with less seats and surfaces for the sounds to bounce off of..............and speakers not made of all plastic.
The smaller volume of the car probably makes a big difference.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:11 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
The Bose system isn't what is used to be. Actually the Bose system in my 1992 Maima was better than the Bose system in our 2003 Maxima. It just doesn't have the power the old system had.
Not sure what they did to it.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jspagna1
The Bose system isn't what is used to be. Actually the Bose system in my 1992 Maima was better than the Bose system in our 2003 Maxima. It just doesn't have the power the old system had.
Not sure what they did to it.
I think Bose puts more money into marketing then r&d
Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I never truly cared for Bose even back in the mid-80's. My iPod dock is Harman Kardon, when tested at my home side by side with the Bose dock it killed it. The Bose system in my 3.2 CL was pretty cool, but this ELS is way better. I have a colleague whose an acoustic engineer, he feel like Bose has been slipping over the past few years.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:09 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
FWIW, I have a home theater setup at home. Onkyo system and the system can rock the whole house with bass and clear highs and timber. It costed me ~$500. I cross shopped a Bose surround system. They wanted $2,500 and it did not sound as rich or full as the Onkyo. The only good thing about the Bose was its tiny sized speakers.

Auto wise, I cross shopped a 09 M45x AWD a few years ago and I checked out its Bose system. It sounded "pretty good" but did not blow me away with a full rich sound; what blew me away about the Bose was the salesman turned on the speakers full blast and I couldn't hear anything but loudness.

Quick Reply: New Member - Looking @ 2012 TL