AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   New to AZ and new owner of 2013 Acura TL SH-AWD needs help! (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/new-az-new-owner-2013-acura-tl-sh-awd-needs-help-914405/)

baowheezy 07-15-2014 02:21 PM

New to AZ and new owner of 2013 Acura TL SH-AWD needs help!

Hey ladies and gents!

I'm a new personnel on AZ, never owned an Acura before. Was always a honda fan. Decided to buy me an awsome 2013 Acura TL Sh-AWD. I gotta say I'm loving the damn vehicle a lot!

I wanted to start out by saying I need help with headlights and fog lights, I've already got my tints on. I'm not very good with vehicle modding, and so that's the reason why I came to AZ to get some experience details from the acura community.

1) I just wanted to switch out the headlights for some better quality LED preferably 6k. I don't know where to buy.
2) same as above but for fog lights.
3) would it be ugly to put some halo lights on? And is it possible to put on lumen lights as well? And just using the OEM headlight assembly.

Thanks guys!! And tips and help would be appreciated! Maybe this thread can help others out as well.

Hope to hear from the Acura family!

BSG1 07-15-2014 04:36 PM

1) LED lights are going to give less output than your HID lights you have.
2) You can put LED bulbs in your foglights. Again, probably less output than your halogens but won't be dangerous.
3) Lumens are a measurement of light output...not sure exactly what you mean? I don't like halos myself in cars that didn't come with them, but some people have put them on and they look fine.

VanyDotK 07-15-2014 04:58 PM

For best light output get Osram CBI bulbs

baowheezy 07-15-2014 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by BSG1 (Post 15082264)
1) LED lights are going to give less output than your HID lights you have.
2) You can put LED bulbs in your foglights. Again, probably less output than your halogens but won't be dangerous.
3) Lumens are a measurement of light output...not sure exactly what you mean? I don't like halos myself in cars that didn't come with them, but some people have put them on and they look fine.

So does that mean I should go with Aftermaket HIDs? For both low beam and fog lights? And what do you mean less dangerous for LED?

Thanks

baowheezy 07-15-2014 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by VanyDotK (Post 15082304)
For best light output get Osram CBI bulbs

Hi there is there a specific website for these bulbs? Are they hid or led?

baowheezy 07-15-2014 05:12 PM

Oh by the way guys would I need ballast for both low beam and fog light as well?

BSG1 07-15-2014 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by baowheezy (Post 15082318)
So does that mean I should go with Aftermaket HIDs? For both low beam and fog lights? And what do you mean less dangerous for LED?

Thanks

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you want more light output, you may try the bulbs VanyDotK mentioned. Thought I'm not sure how much more lumens exactly they put out compared to OEM bulbs. Otherwise if you want more of a blue/purple color, you'll lose light output by increasing the kelvins and reducing lumens.

When I mention less dangerous, I mean putting LEDs in for headlights will give less light output onto the roads, making it more dangerous than just swapping in LEDs for the fogs, which would be primarily for looks, but they're not the main source of lighting. I'm assuming you may be going for looks on these lighting upgrades?

jterp7 07-15-2014 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by baowheezy (Post 15082086)
Hey ladies and gents!

I'm a new personnel on AZ, never owned an Acura before. Was always a honda fan. Decided to buy me an awsome 2013 Acura TL Sh-AWD. I gotta say I'm loving the damn vehicle a lot!

I wanted to start out by saying I need help with headlights and fog lights, I've already got my tints on. I'm not very good with vehicle modding, and so that's the reason why I came to AZ to get some experience details from the acura community.

1) I just wanted to switch out the headlights for some better quality LED preferably 6k. I don't know where to buy.
2) same as above but for fog lights.
3) would it be ugly to put some halo lights on? And is it possible to put on lumen lights as well? And just using the OEM headlight assembly.

Thanks guys!! And tips and help would be appreciated! Maybe this thread can help others out as well.

Hope to hear from the Acura family!

check this thread on angel eyes...not the easiest based on his experience though
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-photograph-gallery-296/just-finished-full-carbon-grill-909932/#post15076490

baowheezy 07-15-2014 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by BSG1 (Post 15082354)
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you want more light output, you may try the bulbs VanyDotK mentioned. Thought I'm not sure how much more lumens exactly they put out compared to OEM bulbs. Otherwise if you want more of a blue/purple color, you'll lose light output by increasing the kelvins and reducing lumens.

When I mention less dangerous, I mean putting LEDs in for headlights will give less light output onto the roads, making it more dangerous than just swapping in LEDs for the fogs, which would be primarily for looks, but they're not the main source of lighting. I'm assuming you may be going for looks on these lighting upgrades?

Hi sorry let me clarify. I just want to change the low beam lights to after markets HIDs. Would I buy these? Let's just scratch the halos and lumen lights.

http://www.hidextra.com/d2s-6000k-hid-kit/

baowheezy 07-15-2014 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by jterp7 (Post 15082407)
check this thread on angel eyes...not the easiest based on his experience though
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15076490

Thanks. Wow those are some sick angel and his front grills are awesome!

VanyDotK 07-15-2014 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by baowheezy (Post 15082512)
Hi sorry let me clarify. I just want to change the low beam lights to after markets HIDs. Would I buy these? Let's just scratch the halos and lumen lights.

http://www.hidextra.com/d2s-6000k-hid-kit/

Just FYI the 4G TL uses bi-xenon projectors which means your low beams are also your high beams. Also, the 4G TL comes with HIDs, you do not need a kit. Your best bet is to change the bulbs that came with your car to Osram CBI D2S bulbs, they give you a bit more color with a bit more lumen as well. Google the bulbs to find more information, there are threads out there with comparison pictures.

baowheezy 07-15-2014 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by VanyDotK (Post 15082604)
Just FYI the 4G TL uses bi-xenon projectors which means your low beams are also your high beams. Also, the 4G TL comes with HIDs, you do not need a kit. Your best bet is to change the bulbs that came with your car to Osram CBI D2S bulbs, they give you a bit more color with a bit more lumen as well. Google the bulbs to find more information, there are threads out there with comparison pictures.

Awesome, thanks vanydotk for the information!

baowheezy 07-15-2014 09:14 PM

Oh by the way vanydotk, what would be the best bulb to change too for the drl?

VanyDotK 07-15-2014 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by baowheezy (Post 15082658)
Oh by the way vanydotk, what would be the best bulb to change too for the drl?

Not sure about that one, I just keep mine stock. I'm starting to keep my cars more and more stock as I grow older :tomato:

Anyway, when is the RV6 j-pipe going to cone back in stock?!

LNJ 07-15-2014 11:23 PM

No bi-xenon on 4g. Our DRL and high beam are the same halogen bulb. Our low beams are factory HID.

VanyDotK 07-16-2014 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by LNJ (Post 15082764)
No bi-xenon on 4g. Our DRL and high beam are the same halogen bulb. Our low beams are factory HID.

Ah I didn't know that, I thought it was like the 3G TL.

baowheezy 07-16-2014 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by LNJ (Post 15082764)

Hey there LNJ, so the low beam are the d2s, and if I want to change my drl I would have to look for the high beam bulb? If so what bulb brand would you suggest?

Thanks

LNJ 07-16-2014 06:19 AM

9005 I believe is the hi-beam/drl bulb. I haven't changed mine yet but there are a few threads about what most owners have done.
Apparently even getting the whitest halogen doesn't help much during low voltage DRL mode cause it still doesn't show up as white as HID or LED. Even the blueish tinted ones have a slight yellow hue in DRL mode but not as bad as stock bulbs.

baowheezy 07-16-2014 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by LNJ (Post 15082856)
9005 I believe is the hi-beam/drl bulb. I haven't changed mine yet but there are a few threads about what most owners have done.
Apparently even getting the whitest halogen doesn't help much during low voltage DRL mode cause it still doesn't show up as white as HID or LED. Even the blueish tinted ones have a slight yellow hue in DRL mode but not as bad as stock bulbs.

Thanks LNJ, but do you happen to know what brand DRLs/high beam people are buying for their 4g?

baowheezy 07-16-2014 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by LNJ (Post 15082856)

Oh by the way LNJ, does this look legit? They're the Osram CBI d2s.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PAIR-2X-OSRAM-XENARC-D2S-66240CBI-COOL-BLUE-INTENSE-5500K-HID-XENON-BULBS-/221431577620?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338e59bc14&vxp=mtr

keith7120 07-16-2014 02:18 PM

Actually, that is not true. The 3G had bi-xenon. The 4g does not. The DRL (halogen bulbs) work as of course DRL and the for hi-beams. I have swapped out the DRL for LED bulbs and they are nice a bright but I did lose some hi-beam effectiveness. I also upgraded my fog lights to 4500k HID to match my xenon headlights. If you want lights that has more of a blue hue to it, you will have to upgrade to a 6000k HID bulb across the board. Yes you will need a ballast for any HID kit. You will also need a kit for the DRLs to make them bright enough as well. I have owned an 09 SH-AWD and currently in a 2013. I did not mod my 2013 with the exception of the DRLs.

LNJ 07-16-2014 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by baowheezy (Post 15083375)

New Pair 2X OSRAM Xenarc D2S 66240CBI Cool Blue Intense 5500K HID Xenon Bulbs | eBay

Hard to say. The seller does not have a high enough sale record.

VanyDotK 07-16-2014 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by baowheezy (Post 15083375)

New Pair 2X OSRAM Xenarc D2S 66240CBI Cool Blue Intense 5500K HID Xenon Bulbs | eBay

I'd be iffy about buying from eBay, there are a lot of fakes out there. This guy didn't even list the kelvin correctly, he listed it at 5500k when it's really 5000k. Just spend the extra money and buy from a trusted source like

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...cbi-49013.html

04S2KGPW 03-12-2019 05:38 AM

Post a pic of your car.