Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My Review: WeatherTech vs OEM Trunk Tray

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Review: WeatherTech vs OEM Trunk Tray

Hello folks! Right after I bought my car, I decided to get protection for the trunk with a tray/liner and figured WeatherTech/MacNeil would have the best product to get the job done. Well, I was surprised to find out that I was wrong and that the OEM trunk tray actually provides better coverage! Here are a couple of pix of the WeatherTech installed - You can see that the rear hump on my AWD isn't covered (even though this is the AWD version of the tray) and neither are the sides of the rear section:

In contrast, here is the OEM tray which I purchased and installed after deciding to return the WeatherTech:

You can see that the OEM provides full coverage of the sides, and although the rear hump section is technically supposed to be cutout to fit the AWD model (tray is designed to leave the hump exposed since the tray isn't perfectly molded to fit over that hump...its designed to be there only for the non-AWD version), I just left it there and folded it up and over the rear hump. Although that rear section may look a bit ugly with my folded over wrinkled fit, I figure its better to have it there anyway for protection rather than cut it out.

I will say that the material/construction of the WeatherTech is more durable/thicker than the OEM, but the fact that it doesn't even cover the sides or the entire trunk makes me wonder what the point of it is, especially with their advertising claim of providing the best COMPLETE protection. I did talk to their customer service and verified that I did have the correct part for the AWD model and they told me thats the way it is. Perhaps their manufacturing tooling isn't capable of making complex upward sloping shapes to cover the sides and the rear hump of the AWD.

On another note, I'm also not happy with the overall purchase with WeatherTech: I ordered the tray and floor mat liners back on Dec 29, at which point they promptly charged my credit card. However, I didn't receive the trunk tray until late last week, some 2.5 weeks or so later...and I still haven't received the floor mat liners - they apparently just shipped yesterday, 3 weeks after ordering, despite a few calls over the past weeks when they told me they were scheduled to ship the weeks prior to this week. And did they ship them out yesterday with expedited shipping to make up for the delays? Of course not...I have to wait until this Saturday for scheduled delivery... However, I have already received the credit card bill charge since they wasted no time charging right after I ordered!

I'll post another review of the floor mat liners when they arrive...hopefully I'll at least have a positive review of those...
Old 01-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess the dealer cut off the extra piece at the back on mine. Too bad, as I'd like to have that coverage.

I think the OEM is a better choice due to the coverage area. Nice review...
Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I didn't cut that part out either. Nice review and concerning the delayed shipping, I like how Amazon does it. They charge your card once the order has been shipped. I think everyone should do this..
Old 04-28-2012, 03:29 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
floor mats

did you go with the weather tec floor mats as well, oem all weather mats, or regular carpets?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by terrylin101
did you go with the weather tec floor mats as well, oem all weather mats, or regular carpets?
I have weather techs and they are far superior inside the vehicle anyway than OEM. Covered the entire floor with a 2 plis inch tray all around for salt and debris. OEM rubber is nice as an in between or spring but that's it. For summer I use he carpets.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
OEM tray looks/fits like it belongs in a frckn Yugo... jmho...its a waste of money on a SHAWD...

Last edited by NwTSXmt; 05-01-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
You're supposed to cut off the part that covers the hump on AWD TL's.