Modifications insurance

Old 01-02-2019, 10:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Modifications insurance

Do those of you with performance modifications notify your insurance companies? If so, did your rates go up, how much?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:38 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
USAA informed me that they won't insure the aftermarket stuff like exhaust or intake parts or any tuning, lights or body modifications. The only thing I've added that they'll cover are the wheels. Silly thing is, they consider the cost of stock wheels, which when you factor in OEM prices, are nearly the same price as a good set of name brand aftermarket wheels. And if you replace them, they'll then use the cost of the aftermarket wheels in place of the OEM wheels. So theoretically (if your aftermarkets are cheaper than your OEM's), you'd actually get less in a settlement. In my case, the stock 17"s on the TL are pretty cheap, less than my O.Z. Alleggerita's, so it made sense to add them. But if you have any of the 18" or 19" OEM wheels, they're likely going to be more than aftermarket unless you get some really expensive wheels like BBS or Asanti or something like that

And no, my premiums didn't go up for that.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
you can add "Supplemental coverage" to cover aftermarket items however it's not worth it. You'll be low-balled on all parts/modifications including paint, wheels, etc. Depending on how modified a car is, collectors car insurance can be a better option like hagertys.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:13 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Another option is to add the Car Replacement Coverage, which most auto insurance offers, which adds an additional 20% compensation to the vehicles value. It's meant more to bump up the amount you get in the case the car is totaled, to the level it would actually cost to replace the car. Stupidly, insurance typically only pays out the "actual cash value" which is typically less than the car is actually worth.

Even with this, it may not be enough to completely replace the car plus mods but it would probably get you close. And considering that a car with mods is typically worth less on the market, it would at least be around the fair value of the car if you were to have sold it.
The following users liked this post:
wayver (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 02:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
I've had someone crash into my past two cars and State Farm totaled them out. They had me send in my receipts for my aftermarket parts which they factored into my payout.
The following users liked this post:
wayver (01-14-2019)