4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mercedes Benz CLA (please do not move from 4G TL community)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:49 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
30k is misleading. Choose the cheapest model the (CLA250 Coupe) add a few options and it turns out to be a 46k car with only 208hp.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I ran the build app & got a nice one with all the usual stuff for $40K. 200hp but its a light car with a mid/high 6 seconds to 60 & 149mph top end. In the 1960's that's muscle car performance. Base price is base price if you want more than the base car its extra, so the advertising is not false.

I would get the AMG but that's me. I think a lot of people will be happy with them.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-28-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:21 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
On the heels of the CLA... here comes the A3. $30K with leather, bi-xenon headlights, panoramic sunroof.... that is going to hurt the ILX, maybe even the TLX.

The closest Audi dealer to me is over 35 miles away, and after my wife's experience with her VW I think I'll stay away, but the Germans are clearly taking aim at the entry level consumer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Audi announces pricing for its all-new 2015 A3 sedan

• The A3 sedan brings a new level of standard features, craftsmanship and attention to detail to the fast growing entry premium market
• An all-new A3 family from Audi will be rolled out over the next 18 months

Audi today announced base pricing for its all-new 2015 A3 sedan. This compact powerhouse represents the entry level to the Audi brand of luxury vehicles with no compromises – it will offer a combination of standard features including a panoramic glass sunroof, leather seating surfaces, and bi-xenon headlights, all at a base MSRP starting at $29,900 .

“The Audi A3 sedan raises the bar in this premium compact segment” said Scott Keogh, President, Audi of America. “It will add to our momentum in the U.S. marketplace by bringing a new level of technology, craftsmanship and performance to the market."

The A3 sedan plays a pivotal role in the soon to be expanding Audi A3 family. It will be joined later in 2014 by the recently announced Audi A3 Cabriolet, A3 TDI clean diesel, the high-performance S3 sedan and in early 2015, the A3 Sportback e-tron® gasoline electric hybrid (PHEV). Even the base model of the all-new premium Audi A3 comes equipped with standard features that include Audi signature LED DRLs and taillights, Bluetooth® technology, Audi pre sense® basic and a panoramic glass sunroof.

The A3 also marks the first time that a vehicle in this segment will offer MMI® technology, Audi drive select, 4G LTE connectivity and Bang & Olufsen® audio. Delivering the same prestige and high-quality materials found in the brand’s flagship A8 model. The A3 will also feature standard leather seating surfaces and exceptional ergonomics.

The A3 sedan will offer versatile powertrains for a wide variety of entry-luxury customer tastes, including a 1.8 TFSI®, 2.0 TFSI®, 2.0 TDI® clean diesel, and a high-output 2.0 TFSI® offered in the S3. For superior traction and handling the A3 will also offer the legendary Audi quattro® all-wheel drive which distributes power to the wheels that need it most.

All engines are mated to the standard 6-speed S tronic® transmission, which provides the driver immense shifting flexibility and driving pleasure with smooth, dynamic acceleration and virtually no interruption to the power flow.

The A3 will feature an all-new design and has been specifically tailored to meet the sedan preferences of the American market. The signature Singleframe® grille and available full-LED headlights, another first for the A-segment, are some of the notable design changes included in the all-new Audi A3 sedan.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Here's my full review of the CLA250.

http://www.eastwestbrothersgarage.co...nz-cla250.html

Suffice it to say, the driving dynamics leave a lot to be desired and fail to match the sporty look of the car. Plus that motor is totally unimpressive.
The following users liked this post:
Glashub (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
cgtsx2004, what do you mean by "column shifter"? Like a 1960's Pontiac shifter?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
cgtsx2004, what do you mean by "column shifter"? Like a 1960's Pontiac shifter?
Not quite. It's an stalk that is on the steering column and electronically controls the transmission. It's something MB is implementing in more of their cars, but I just do not like it. I prefer more unique implementations, such as push buttons or Jaguar's twisty knob. If you're going to go with full electronic control of the transmission and no physical connection, might as well make it interesting and unique instead of channeling an idea that went the way of the dodo in passenger cars many years ago.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
I ran the build app & got a nice one with all the usual stuff for $40K. 200hp but its a light car with a mid/high 6 seconds to 60 & 149mph top end. In the 1960's that's muscle car performance. Base price is base price if you want more than the base car its extra, so the advertising is not false.

I would get the AMG but that's me. I think a lot of people will be happy with them.
Please don't be offended by by obviously off-the-subject post but I notice that you are very active in posting in this community yet have no Acura. I glean that you have had in the past but I still wonder (again purely out of curiosity not meaning to offend) what keeps you so active here. During my 14-year ownership of a Corvette I was a very active member of the Corvette forum. Since selling the car a few years ago I still lurk around that forum but rarely contribute--much more an occasional spectator. So I was curious as to your interest here.

Doug
Old 10-30-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^because, we bond friendship over time.
Bear is active in the racing community and loves to show his cars and what they are capable of doing. its cool to see a little 135i take on lambos and ferarris.
Bear is also knowledgeable about engines and can point/help/inform others.

plus, its cool to talk about other makes and models of cars, such as we are doing here.
but i think the main thing is, we are friends.

in addition, diversity is great and we can learn from each other.

Last edited by justnspace; 10-30-2013 at 10:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
BEAR-AvHistory (10-30-2013), cp3117 (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, the reason I came back is this is a unique group of guys -- detailed informative posts, discussions back and forth. My brief participation with the Genesis forum (not so bad -- just real big fan boys) and the 3IS forum (very bad trolling aspect) -- has given me a new appreciation for this forum.
The following 5 users liked this post by Glashub:
BEAR-AvHistory (10-30-2013), cjTL (10-30-2013), justnspace (10-30-2013), Rocket_man (10-30-2013), weather (10-31-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Please don't be offended by by obviously off-the-subject post but I notice that you are very active in posting in this community yet have no Acura. I glean that you have had in the past but I still wonder (again purely out of curiosity not meaning to offend) what keeps you so active here. During my 14-year ownership of a Corvette I was a very active member of the Corvette forum. Since selling the car a few years ago I still lurk around that forum but rarely contribute--much more an occasional spectator. So I was curious as to your interest here.

Doug
I like cars & am also active on a few of the BMW forums & lightly active on the Ranger tech forum. Started here in 2006 & did not see any reason not to post because I sold the car. Was a very nice & competent car with 6MT & 255 summers. The TL was the family school bus. As they started to get drivers licenses a DD that big was no longer necessary so I bought the coupe.

I might be a PIA to some but still enjoy the back & forth that takes place here generally without name calling or much rancor. Besides one of my daughters has an MDX so I am related to Acura by blood.

I had my StingRay from '68, was a '67, to the early 90's & never joined a site. Will be looking at a 2014 so I expect to lurk to see how the early adopters make out. Same with the M4.

Sometimes it might be advantageous to some having someone from the Dark Side to present the other side of a discussion or provide info that was not available inside a closed community.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
JT4 (10-30-2013), justnspace (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 12:51 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I like cars & am also active on a few of the BMW forums & lightly active on the Ranger tech forum. Started here in 2006 & did not see any reason not to post because I sold the car. Was a very nice & competent car with 6MT & 255 summers. The TL was the family school bus. As they started to get drivers licenses a DD that big was no longer necessary so I bought the coupe.

I might be a PIA to some but still enjoy the back & forth that takes place here generally without name calling or much rancor. Besides one of my daughters has an MDX so I am related to Acura by blood.

I had my StingRay from '68, was a '67, to the early 90's & never joined a site. Will be looking at a 2014 so I expect to lurk to see how the early adopters make out. Same with the M4.

Sometimes it might be advantageous to some having someone from the Dark Side to present the other side of a discussion or provide info that was not available inside a closed community.
^^
Old 10-30-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Yeah, the reason I came back is this is a unique group of guys -- detailed informative posts, discussions back and forth. My brief participation with the Genesis forum (not so bad -- just real big fan boys) and the 3IS forum (very bad trolling aspect) -- has given me a new appreciation for this forum.
This. I'll never leave this forum. The activity level, members, and discussions are what keep me around. I've learned so much from my time on here. The Fusion forums are generally lifeless, which sucks, but makes me enjoy my time here still.
justnspace (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

And kudos to the mods for somehow creating and nurturing a forum like this.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:24 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
And kudos to the mods for somehow creating and nurturing a forum like this.
Members (and mods) here on the 4G side tend to be more friendly, mature, and nonbiased. Cross over to the dark side, er Car Talk, er BMW sites, er dark side and one is at high risk for being personally flamed with anti Acura and pro Bavarian bashings.

Kudos to the 4G forum as well
Old 10-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
There are fantastic BMW and Audi forums too.

This forum grew so well because of the 3G TL IMO. Look at the amount of posts in the 3G section compared to others. Which was only available stateside.

Us American's tend to ignore what happens over the pond.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by maharajamd
There are fantastic BMW and Audi forums too.

This forum grew so well because of the 3G TL IMO. Look at the amount of posts in the 3G section compared to others. Which was only available stateside.

Us American's tend to ignore what happens over the pond.
^again with the useless smattering of crap.

Acura's sales numbers generated the amount of interested members here on AZ. In fact, Acura has yet to do the kind of sales it pulled in the 3G TL era from a sport sedan.

2005TL 78,218
2006TL 71,348
2007TL 58,545
vs.
2010TL 34,049
2011TL 31,237
2012TL 33,572
There are many good choices "over the pond," which we cannot buy here!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:07 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
^again with the useless smattering of crap.

Acura's sales numbers generated the amount of interested members here on AZ. In fact, Acura has yet to do the kind of sales it pulled in the 3G TL era from a sport sedan.

vs.

There are many good choices "over the pond," which we cannot buy here!
Are you dense? You just agreed with everything I said.

Thanks for that useless smattering of crap post though.
The following 2 users liked this post by maharajamd:
jshaw (11-01-2013), musty hustla (11-01-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 06:20 PM
Pro

My question was purely out of curiosity and I agree the bunch here is nice. I think when I was posting on forums of cars that I did not own when I was doing research for possibly buying one car or another, after several posts someone would eventually scream "TROLL" at me which is why I am reluctant to "over-post" back at the Corvette Forum and am, rather, mostly a spectator there.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:31 PM
Pro

Back to the CLA thing. I finally did see one in the flesh today driving next to me. It first caught my attention in the rear view mirror by virtue of the grill that looks almost like some starburst design--no way of missing one coming at you. The side had a nice profile as did the rear but then looking at the package a a whole there was something a bit chintzy overall. I can't put my finger on it but once you got over the fact that you were looking at a new model Mercedes, it was not all that impressive but still fairly decent looking.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm beginning to understand why the Club Lexus IS forum has so many negative people. Someone started an age poll and most IS owners/lessee's are 20-30. This explains a lot as they are digital natives who are used to using the anonymity of the internet to flame, bully, and disrupt in 140 characters or less. In addition, their teenage years were spent in prosperous times. They've never known cars that weren't laden with tech or seen cars that lose something to gain something in order to maintain a bottom line. Just my .02.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Don't they have rational moderators over there reaping out all the bullies and trolls in the Club Lexus IS forum ?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Comparing the TL to a CLA is comparing apples to oranges. The TSX or even the ILX are much more debatable IMHO. I do like the exterior but the rest leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm beginning to understand why the Club Lexus IS forum has so many negative people. Someone started an age poll and most IS owners/lessee's are 20-30. This explains a lot as they are digital natives who are used to using the anonymity of the internet to flame, bully, and disrupt in 140 characters or less. In addition, their teenage years were spent in prosperous times. They've never known cars that weren't laden with tech or seen cars that lose something to gain something in order to maintain a bottom line. Just my .02.
Same is happening in the E9X forums. The series goes back to 2006. Lots of second & third hand cars around for attractive prices, will be happy to move on in the summer.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Don't they have rational moderators over there reaping out all the bullies and trolls in the Club Lexus IS forum ?
No they don't. Minimal mod presence and they never participate in threads like the mods here, at AVS, or Genesis owners. One of things I like here is that the mods always post "Welcome aboard" or offer their take on something like forum members. Nothing like that over there. I'm not exaggerating either. It was really ugly over there when the 3IS came out in July and it was all 2IS owners and a couple of GS owners. They jump on a thread -- post some outrageous BS -- disappear rather than engage -- and pop up later post the same outrageous BS -- disappear and so on. It seemed they were on a mission to make people feel bad for buying a 3IS and they never added any value.

Finally after about 2-3 months the mods got involved because it was really getting bad. For example there is a really nice young woman over there who bought a 3IS and customized it. The comments about the car by some were really rude and the sexual innuendos were sophomoric. I felt bad for her, defended her and her choices because they are an expression of her vision whether I like them or not. I was then attacked for defending her. Finally mods jumped in and it's calmed down a lot but the bad vibes still linger.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
What kind of mods did she do? All the females I know who are into that mod modestly and leave out all the tacky stuff.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

She has a black 3IS 250 that she made completely black with lime green wheels and yellow leds, etc. She calls it blending out. She named the car her bat mobile. She wears clothing to accentuate the car. Look, it's not my cup of tea but it is an expression of her vision and her voice. My Dad used to say that if the both of us were exactly alike -- one of us wouldn't be necessary. I approach people from that perspective. It took a while to find because her thread seems to have disappeared but since she has had these pictures posted by Lexus itself I don't feel like I'm violating any boundaries. Here you go --
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes Benz CLA (please do not move from 4G TL community)-i-qcxhkxc-xl.jpg   Mercedes Benz CLA (please do not move from 4G TL community)-i-crk6znx-xl.jpg  
Old 11-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
^^^ I'm actually digging it. I actually like the look. It's not over the top or tacky. Definately an expression of individuality and it fits the "chick" image. Good for her.
justnspace (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 09:56 AM

that IS is hawt!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
It looks good. I just can't get into the front of the new Lexus line.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Drifting

I like it when she's wearing the outfit, hahah dunno how well it'll match with red shoes. Any more pictures of it, maybe from the front? Those are forgestars too /respect.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

She's a cool person. She had a mod thread tracking the mods she did with pics and instructions. She was actively involved. She replies to every post with good humor. This is from her photo shoot thread. Here's a couple more.
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes Benz CLA (please do not move from 4G TL community)-i-5l38gvm-xl.jpg   Mercedes Benz CLA (please do not move from 4G TL community)-i-6jf8t6g-xl.jpg  
Old 11-01-2013, 10:19 AM

wow, i enjoy it a lot!!
Glashub (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, too bad she started feeling uncomfortable and stopped coming around.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Drifting

She did a nice job, the front was not what I expected when you said yellow LED's, it looks good. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the bat badge. I'm surprised by how much I like the 3IS modded I'll have to peak over club lex to look at a few more.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't know if Vossen wheels has a presence here but they do at Lexus and Infiniti. He just modded an IS for SEMA.
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes Benz CLA (please do not move from 4G TL community)-1445jm0.jpg   Mercedes Benz CLA (please do not move from 4G TL community)-34nqxcl.jpg  
Old 11-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Drifting

I don't know if Vossen wheels has a presence here but they do at Lexus and Infiniti. He just modded an IS for SEMA.
Do they have a presence here? You haven't been to the photography section have you?! Vossen is the next big thing, across a lot of forums. I like their wheels but personally would not get them because of how common they are in my area. Looks cool, although the filter makes it look like a rendering.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:26 AM

Love the yellow one!! and at least those Vossens arent the CV3's which are the most common Vossens available.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace
that IS is hawt!
You mean the car?
Old 11-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I love Acura -- I really do. They're like the clumsy well meaning mad Uncle but they are terrible marketers. Look at the Lexus FB page where they promote the after market cars, https://www.facebook.com/lexus.

Last edited by Glashub; 11-01-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:56 PM

I love Acura -- I really do. They're like the clumsy well meaning mad Uncle but they are terrible marketers. Look at the Lexus FB page where they promote the after market cars, https://www.facebook.com/lexus.
One issue Acura has is their image; Acura makes fine cars and in general very reliable and long lasting. But they need to market the HELL out of their product line to enhance their status symbol. I don't know if one can use Facebook as a gauge, but Lexus has 2+M likes on their FB page, while Acura has 430k+ as I write this post. Unfortunately Acura's decision to not compete with so-called "Teir-1" makes will only hurt them.

Take a look at the CLA, it's a small sedan with a "tier 1 name" brand, and it appears to be selling like hotcakes. It's only been what, <1 month since the CLAs release and I've already seen a few CLAs on the road already; the ILX has been out for more than a few months and I haven't seen a single ILX on the road. Yet on surface the CLA appears to have similar dimensions to the the ILX.

The ILX did ~1,300+ sales last month? I'm eager to see sales figures for the CLA and realize it's too new to judge, but something tells me the CLA will be on track to sell more than 1300/month, and its not much more different than the ILX (other than the latter's anemic 150hp engine)

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz CLA (please do not move from 4G TL community)