4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Maybe too early-- how to dig your TL out of snow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe too early-- how to dig your TL out of snow?

I'm gonna relocate to Pittsburgh soon, I have never been in a city with lots of snow, the place I live does not offer garage parking how would you dig your car out of snow quickly in the morning if you need to go to work? if you can't open the door, what would you do?....... maybe this question is too early, but it kinda bugs me a lot since they don't provide garage parking.....
Old 05-14-2011, 08:59 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Get yourself an aftermarket alarm system that can let you operate the power moonroof from your alarm remote.

In the case that you can't open any door, use your remote to open up the moonroof, drop inside your car and drive away. But you still have to clear out the snow in front of your TL if it gets pile up too high.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
this is kinda early and I take it you've never lived in a place with snow...

Best thing is a 'car shovel'. Makes it easy to reach around the tires to clear them out. If you know its going to snow a lot on a given day, maybe sprinkle some salt around the car before the snow starts.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
You'd buy a shovel, and shovel out your car... If it's so much snow that it takes you a while, it will for everyone else. You just have to wake up earlier to shovel/clean your car out.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Watch the weather forcast... if it's snowing when you go to bed, plan to wake up at least an hour early. Give yourself 15-30 min to dig out as you'll undoubtedly get buried by the plow trucks and other drivers.. then if your driving to downtown I79, I279, I376 will be a mess.

We don't get "lots" of snow.. just a couple of major events each year. Its the ice + hills you want to watch with. Either way I do recommend snow tires. You never know when they can come in handy.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow and your car

OP asks, "How to dig your car out of snow quickly."

Answer: I think you should be thinking in terms of "as quickly as possible" rather than "quickly". No joke--I'm serious. It could take you a few minutes or a few hours.

Reason: Snow comes in consistencies ranging from powder (feathery light and easy to move) to wet snow (think backbreaking shoveling of wet cement) and everything in between. The snowfall amounts could range from insignificant to several feet. Depending on elapsed time and weather, you could encounter icy layers due to freezing rain or thaw/re-freeze cycles.

Warning: Look out for the city snow plows because they will give you a watery or frozen, salty, sandy bath no matter how close you are to their path. Look out for moving cars because they may be going too fast and because your street may be narrowed by sidewalk snow banks, causing people to park farther from the curb.

Tips: Get a collapsible/telescoping shovel (to better fit in the small trunk), ideally with a metal business end. The plastic ones are okay in most conditions except icy snow. Keep some cat litter or coarse sand in the trunk. Try to spread the sand as far under the tires as you can and make a track. DO NOT floor the gas pedal if the tires slip; this will only dig you deeper into a rut. Instead of sand, try a floor mat. Hopefully the tire will grab the floor mat to aid traction. Easy on the gas or you will dig a deeper rut and fling the mat or sand into your neighbor, who will not be pleased if he's standing nearby.

You may need to repeat these procedures, moving forward and backward a few inches/feet at a time, stopping each time and getting out to clear more snow until you're free. Be patient and DO NOT rock the car by slamming the transmission into drive and reverse before the wheels come to a complete stop each time, or else you may have to visit Acura for a new transmission later.

Final tips: After you do get your car dug out, you must drive conservatively on still-slippery roads--especially on the hilly roads of Pittsburgh--or else you might find yourself digging your car out again from the side of the road--or worse, exchanging papers with the driver of the car you just hit.

Maintain more than the normal following distance between you and the car in front; i.e., > 2 second rule.

Be aware of the phenomenon of "black ice", in which water freezes on the road and appears wet but is actually ice. It can occur on bridges or overpasses usually because they freeze faster than on surface roads.

Final, final tip: Don't know about Pittsburgh, but if you're in Boston after a snowstorm it is unwise to park in a spot seemingly unoccupied except for an object (TV set, chair, etc.). Otherwise, you might return to find your car damaged by someone who cleared and claimed "his" spot and took retribution.

Whew, sorry for the long reply. I'm sure I left something out. Just wanted to keep a snow newbie from getting into trouble and hitting MY car!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wake up early, no other way around it.....unfortunately
Old 05-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Intermediate

Your car and snow

Oh yeah, I did forget something.

I have a 2010 TL Tech with stock Michelin "all-season" tires. I found these tires to be most unsettling and sometimes downright dangerous the first few months of winter driving around Boston; and I drive conservatively in bad weather and have 25+ years of experience driving in snow.

I got Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 snow tires from tirerack.com in January. I'm so happy I did, as the difference was like night and day during the weekly snowstorms the next 2 months. Makes up for the occasional regrets beforehand that I did not get SH-AWD.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I live on a street with a pretty steep incline. The OEM tires fitted with the 19 inch rims (not the summer HPT) were horrible. despite having AWD, the car wasn't getting any traction at all.

I bought Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero from tirerack. Turned off the VSA. it was all good. ALL GOOD. The TL turned into a Hummer...LOL
Old 05-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

wipe the top layer, loose snow off with your hands. then pour hot water on the rest of your car to melt the snow thats touching the surface.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:32 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Ant$
I live on a street with a pretty steep incline. The OEM tires fitted with the 19 inch rims (not the summer HPT) were horrible. despite having AWD, the car wasn't getting any traction at all.

I bought Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero from tirerack. Turned off the VSA. it was all good. ALL GOOD. The TL turned into a Hummer...LOL
A good set of snow tires is a must for winter driving, even with AWD traction.

In fact, on snow covered roads, my FWD TL with snow tires can virtually run rings around my wife's Quattro A6 with all-season tires.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Slinks
wipe the top layer, loose snow off with your hands. then pour hot water on the rest of your car to melt the snow thats touching the surface.

never pour hot water on a cold car...
Old 05-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by jnc2000
x2 ... this is a very bad idea
Old 05-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VQPower37
x2 ... this is a very bad idea
the post was a joke but thanks for the response as i actually didnt know this
Old 05-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Intermediate

Maybe I was just unlucky in extreme cold temperatures, but I once cracked the windshield on my '00 TL with the defroster temp (with A/C off) and fan both on max about 10 minutes after clearing the snow and driving on the highway. The air was toasty hot. Snap! Instant, 6-inch long straight crack low, right where the defroster blows. No other cars were around to kick up rocks.

Needless to say, I never turned the defroster heat to max after that...
Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Asynchro
Oh yeah, I did forget something.

I have a 2010 TL Tech with stock Michelin "all-season" tires. I found these tires to be most unsettling and sometimes downright dangerous the first few months of winter driving around Boston; and I drive conservatively in bad weather and have 25+ years of experience driving in snow.

I got Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 snow tires from tirerack.com in January. I'm so happy I did, as the difference was like night and day during the weekly snowstorms the next 2 months. Makes up for the occasional regrets beforehand that I did not get SH-AWD.
I have the same stock Michelin's on my TL AWD and have driven in absolute horrible road conditions and never felt the tires slip once. I don't get why all of these people complain about the stock tires...
Old 05-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jason717
I have the same stock Michelin's on my TL AWD and have driven in absolute horrible road conditions and never felt the tires slip once. I don't get why all of these people complain about the stock tires...
Mine is FWD, not SH-AWD like yours, so for what it's worth, here's a real-life example:

I'm stopped at a red light on a slight incline up-hill, waiting to turn left. There's about 5 inches of unplowed snow on the road that's been churned up by traffic. Light turns green, I gently apply a light-moderate throttle and the front tires spin all the way through the turn. The steering feels like when hydroplaning. It also feels like I could get stuck in the middle of the intersection if I fail to keep moving. I was absolutely babying the gas. And braking was no better.

After changing to real snow tires, under similar (and worse) conditions it feels much more like the car is better planted to the ground, much less of a hydroplaning feel, much improved, more confident steering and braking feel.

Before the snow tires, I dreaded going even 30 mph on the rutted, partially plowed highways during a snowstorm. That was when I regretted not getting SH-AWD. After getting snow tires, the regret subsided greatly.

Last edited by Asynchro; 05-16-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
your full of crap....the oem michelins are horrible in snow, and rain for that matter...they hydroplane very early....and even though the awd handles the snow well, the tires are for sh it...
Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Jason717, I wholeheartedly challenge you next winter in a closed closed course setup in Summit Mall parking lot to test and see just how good those OEM tires are. Then I'll let you drive my TL and you'll see the light. Maybe you don't drive far - but I don't know how you can live up north in the snow belt and claim that the OEM tires do any bit of justice.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 AM
10th Gear

Jason717, I wholeheartedly challenge you next winter in a closed closed course setup in Summit Mall parking lot to test and see just how good those OEM tires are. Then I'll let you drive my TL and you'll see the light. Maybe you don't drive far - but I don't know how you can live up north in the snow belt and claim that the OEM tires do any bit of justice.
JNC - I drive an hour to work each way right into the heart of the snow belt and never had an issue! You guys need to learn to drive!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm quite capable of my driving abilities as I drive from Buffalo, to Harrisburg to sothern WV to Indy and back often... - it's the OEM tires that fail this car.

The TireRack ratings seem to indicate the same thing...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+HX+MXM 4&partnum=445VR8MXM4HXV3&vehicleSearch=true&fromCo mpare1=yes&autoMake=Acura&autoYear=2010&autoModel= TL%20SH-AWD&autoModClar=with%20Technology%20Package

Are the tires adequate - maybe - but it's not a risk I'm willing to wager given the roads I travel, and the unknown conditions I might encounter during the my winter travels.

My challenge still stands though. I'll grab 100 or so orange cones and we can go to the old abandoned mall, have fun and see who's car handles the nice white stuff better
Old 05-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Advanced

after winter did any of you guys check out your engine bays, mine has a ton of dried road salt residue an what not in it....just wondering if anyone else had this issue and wondering whats the best way to clean it up? thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

grab some degreaser and low pressure from water... be careful not to soak anything electrical. Once your done take a blower, shopvac or something similar and remove any excess water.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for all the reply. is it a good idea to put on a car cover before snows piles up on the car?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Eudreamality
thanks for all the reply. is it a good idea to put on a car cover before snows piles up on the car?
if you dont mind your cars paint getting all scratched up....otherwise, i would say no to the car cover...
Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 PM
10th Gear

I'm quite capable of my driving abilities as I drive from Buffalo, to Harrisburg to sothern WV to Indy and back often... - it's the OEM tires that fail this car.

The TireRack ratings seem to indicate the same thing...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+HX+MXM 4&partnum=445VR8MXM4HXV3&vehicleSearch=true&fromCo mpare1=yes&autoMake=Acura&autoYear=2010&autoModel= TL%20SH-AWD&autoModClar=with%20Technology%20Package

Are the tires adequate - maybe - but it's not a risk I'm willing to wager given the roads I travel, and the unknown conditions I might encounter during the my winter travels.

My challenge still stands though. I'll grab 100 or so orange cones and we can go to the old abandoned mall, have fun and see who's car handles the nice white stuff better
What does a closed course set up have to do with driving on everyday snow covered roads?! I simply have my own opinion that I'm entitled to, and don't have an issue with the stock tires. Like it or don't like it! I think they are a perfect all season tire.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Intermediate

JNC - I drive an hour to work each way right into the heart of the snow belt and never had an issue! You guys need to learn to drive!
I admit the stock Michelins do seem fine in the snow if one needs to drive one mile at 1 MPH, like Mr. Magoo or Ma & Pa Kettle.

Just joking. Everyone's entitled to his/her own opinion. No need for a flame war.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
your full of crap....the oem michelins are horrible in snow, and rain for that matter...they hydroplane very early....and even though the awd handles the snow well, the tires are for sh it...
OEMs on the wifes TL have NEVER hydroplaned in the rain and performed without incident this past winter (NE)...So who is really full of IT..