4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

May be coming back to Acura (BMW to a 2012 TL)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:28 PM
No, you are a dork.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May be coming back to Acura (BMW to a 2012 TL)

I have owned four Acuras (TL, TSX, TL and RL). I left Acura for a 2008 535i w/Sport back in April 2008. Made the mistake of test driving the new M3 in June of 2008 and bought it. Realized quickly that the M3 was not built for comfort and found a great compromise. Sold it and leased a 2008 550i with M package - see here (http://www.darylwatkins.com/550/)

I absolutely love the car...so much that I am considering buying it in September when my lease ends....that was, until I passed about 5 new Acuras today on the way back from NYC with the family (TL's and MDX's). The new styling refreshes caught my attention. Like I said, I love the 550i...it's fast, sounds SO good, drives awesome and looks great. I put some cash down on the lease so I have been kinda spoiled on the monthly payment for 3 years ($580/mo) but the time is coming for me to make a decision. I will obviously CPO it or buy an extended warranty but then I will have the maintenance cost to be prepared for.

Keep in mind, I haven't even driven the new TL so I may not like it. I haven't minded the simplistic interior of the BMW so going back to tons of buttons may be an adjustment but....I'm flexible. The biggest thing is that the whole "Ultimate Driving Machine" is geared to people like me. I actually know what they mean and find excuses to drive the car. I actually push the car every time I am in it. Most of the time I use the paddle shifters.

I have read lots of comparisons vs. the 3 series but don't feel that a 3 is the right model to go up against the TL. On the other hand, I have the top of the line 5 series (aside from the M5) and this comparison may not be fair either. There is a caveat - the dealer had to repaint my hood upon delivery of my 550. They did a great job but it has always stuck in my head and if I keep the car at the end of my lease I will be always concerned about any chipping or color fade problems.

That's my story...I have a few questions.

1. I love white cars. I have seen a dark brown leather interior for Acura (not parchment). What is it called and is it available for the 2012 TL?

2. Can you really only get 19" wheels with the SH-AWD? I live in VA and sure, we have snow but haven't done any comparisons on SH-AWD (with or without) to know if I would want it. I mainly mean performance hits, feature substitutes, etc. I've had 19" wheels for almost 3 years on my 550i, going back to 18's would be tough.

3. Can anyone share some leasing figures with me just to give me some idea of what I can expect?

Thanks! Excited about possibly coming back to the Acura family.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
1. I believe the color you are referring to is Umber. Not available with Bellanova White Pearl (and only available with SH-AWD)

2. Currently, the 19 inch wheels are part of the Advance package.

3. Can't help yo with lease numbers.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Get the SH-AWD 6MT.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:34 PM
No, you are a dork.

Originally Posted by justnspace
Get the SH-AWD 6MT.
I don't want a MT.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by yahtzee
I don't want a MT.
In that case, 6sp auto Nice tranny.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:58 PM
ZCL
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Go drive the 2012 TL Advance SH-AWD.

I would not buy a 2011 TL Tech SH-AWD after I drove it. Once the 2012's came out I was sold. The addition of the 6 spd. auto, Advance package, updated look and rims, sold me. The steering feels more responsive and has more feedback as well.

Not sure how a $46k TL is going to compare to a $65k 5 series, but who knows.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd keep the 550 just my
Old 04-24-2011, 07:44 AM
No, you are a dork.

Originally Posted by jwjang86
I'd keep the 550 just my
Why?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
BMW = Break My Wallet (once out of warranty)
Lease cost on the "Base" TL is $399. Incrementally higher on the Tech and Advance. Expect around $499 on an SH/AWD/MT. Word of caution, if you damage that fine, high-performance engine by consistently using the wrong fuel to pinch pennies it is possible that could result in substantial out-of-pocket cost at end of lease. If the leasing agent finds out, they could try to invoke the "diminished value" clause on you, adversely affecting your residual.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:20 AM
No, you are a dork.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot
Lease cost on the "Base" TL is $399. Incrementally higher on the Tech and Advance. Expect around $499 on an SH/AWD/MT. Word of caution, if you damage that fine, high-performance engine by consistently using the wrong fuel to pinch pennies it is possible that could result in substantial out-of-pocket cost at end of lease. If the leasing agent finds out, they could try to invoke the "diminished value" clause on you, adversely affecting your residual.
Thanks again for your input. I have used premium on my 550i since day one and would do the same if I were to get a TL.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Hey were is Technocat?
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot
Yep. Just looked at the maintainance costs on the BMW as I was considering trading RDX on '09 M-3 and nearly shit my pants when I saw the yearly costs on the 3 series are OVER $2,000! Who in their right mind would give BMW stealership all that money?
Old 04-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Here we have a two time previous generation 5 series owner comparing and/or cross shopping it with a 4G TL. I don't know if the Audi fanatics are going to like this one. Now I know why objective size, feature, power, and performance based comparisons of two luxury sedans, excluding the normal price grouping, is why this forum is often labeled as a religious cult.

All kidding aside, one of the biggest distinctions between a 3 series and 5 or an A/S4 and A6, etc, is the size. The TL is mid sized so it's not a bad comparison when you disregard the differences in price and the aspects of luxury and refinement. The TL is closer to the 3 in price points, available features and content, as well as luxury and refinement aspects but the 3 is obviously a size smaller.

A 528i and 535i, especially from the last generation is actually a very interesting comparison to the TL SH-AWD which is what everyone will probably be recommending being that you're coming from BMW's and also with RWD. Obviously a 550i is a little different for the sake of the V8 which the TL does not offer but as far as the engines go, I think you will find the 3.7L in the TL SH more in line with the 535i's engine that you had previously.

The TL SH is an excellent performer, I am confident that you will find it to be at least every bit as good as the 08 535i with sport package, if not better. Acceleration should be almost identical between the 08 535i and 12 TL SH with matching transmissions. I will note that the 6MT TL model has been tested to lap faster and brake better than the much lighter 335i 6MT with the sport package. Obviously being bigger and heavier it's not as fast in a straight-line but you get the picture. With the addition of the 6AT, the auto SH should be almost entirely as capable as the 6MT.

The difference in all this is the way they go about it. BMW offers full blown sporty feel throughout. Steering, braking, suspension, you name it. The TL, despite being very capable itself, doesn't offer the same engaging experience or inspiration of confidence. It’s more toned down for a better balance of the most sporty driving experience to the most luxurious driving experience.

The FWD has all the other great aspects of the TL instead. A smart choice for the more practical that also benefits in being softer riding, experiencing less road noise, and significantly better in fuel economy, it also has a larger trunk. The choice depends on what your budget, needs and preferences are at the moment.

I looked up some lease info and as an educated guess, it looks like an SH advance lease for 36 months/12k miles, taxes and all fees out of pocket, zero down, and with only a couple thousand off sticker, as it is still relatively new, and you are looking at roughly $600, give or take. The FWD advance would be approximately $100 less. Just keep in mind, I don’t have the exact figures so that is just ball park and as usual, it will largely depend on what price you negotiate.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 04-24-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Why?
Because money doesn't seem to be a problem for you.
TL is a great car but the 550i is just as sporty but much more luxurious. Plus the 550i gets decent mileage unlike the M5 and looks great with the M package.
Unless you really wanted a manual which isn't the case, I'd stick with the 550i.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 PM
No, you are a dork.

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Here we have a two time previous generation 5 series owner comparing and/or cross shopping it with a 4G TL. I don't know if the Audi fanatics are going to like this one. Now I know why objective size, feature, power, and performance based comparisons of two luxury sedans, excluding the normal price grouping, is why this forum is often labeled as a religious cult.

All kidding aside, one of the biggest distinctions between a 3 series and 5 or an A/S4 and A6, etc, is the size. The TL is mid sized so it's not a bad comparison when you disregard the differences in price and the aspects of luxury and refinement. The TL is closer to the 3 in price points, available features and content, as well as luxury and refinement aspects but the 3 is obviously a size smaller.

A 528i and 535i, especially from the last generation is actually a very interesting comparison to the TL SH-AWD which is what everyone will probably be recommending being that you're coming from BMW's and also with RWD. Obviously a 550i is a little different for the sake of the V8 which the TL does not offer but as far as the engines go, I think you will find the 3.7L in the TL SH more in line with the 535i's engine that you had previously.

The TL SH is an excellent performer, I am confident that you will find it to be at least every bit as good as the 08 535i with sport package, if not better. Acceleration should be almost identical between the 08 535i and 12 TL SH with matching transmissions. I will note that the 6MT TL model has been tested to lap faster and brake better than the much lighter 335i 6MT with the sport package. Obviously being bigger and heavier it's not as fast in a straight-line but you get the picture. With the addition of the 6AT, the auto SH should be almost entirely as capable as the 6MT.

The difference in all this is the way they go about it. BMW offers full blown sporty feel throughout. Steering, braking, suspension, you name it. The TL, despite being very capable itself, doesn't offer the same engaging experience or inspiration of confidence. It’s more toned down for a better balance of the most sporty driving experience to the most luxurious driving experience.

The FWD has all the other great aspects of the TL instead. A smart choice for the more practical that also benefits in being softer riding, experiencing less road noise, and significantly better in fuel economy, it also has a larger trunk. The choice depends on what your budget, needs and preferences are at the moment.

I looked up some lease info and as an educated guess, it looks like an SH advance lease for 36 months/12k miles, taxes and all fees out of pocket, zero down, and with only a couple thousand off sticker, as it is still relatively new, and you are looking at roughly $600, give or take. The FWD advance would be approximately $100 less. Just keep in mind, I don’t have the exact figures so that is just ball park and as usual, it will largely depend on what price you negotiate.
Great post, thank you. The FWD has a larger trunk? I am looking to make a little smarter move with my next vehicle. I am the primary driver of my car and do enjoy having some room for my two daughters (6 and 8) and the occasional dinner date with 4 adults. The only real driving for business that I do is a few hundred miles max (fly everywhere else).

I love the uniqueness of my car. Not the overall 5 series part but the M kit and 19" M wheels. It is truly a head turner because it's a performer. I baby it but I would baby a rusty F150 if it were my car.

I had back surgery a few years back the the seats in my car are the best feeling seats I have ever seen (in or out of a car). All that said, I do love technology and find myself looking at cars like the Infiniti (i look but quickly look away after seeing the interior) and others but Acura has just always gotten me to look a little harder.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Thats the problem with Honda/Acura. Your forced to get the "more expensive/more useless (AWD)" model to get a certain color choice/interior color. BMW/Lexus don't have such issue.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
Thats the problem with Honda/Acura. Your forced to get the "more expensive/more useless (AWD)" model to get a certain color choice/interior color. BMW/Lexus don't have such issue.
simple dont buy one...freedom of choice
Old 04-24-2011, 08:10 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
simple dont buy one...freedom of choice
I have a TL actually. Just stating my opinion I don't know why they do that. Its one thing with options but color choice should be the same unless its a special model color like for (Type S/BMW M/Lexus F).
Old 04-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F10 550
Old 04-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Intermediate

Wish Honda Can do a custom make. I don't find what is the reason that they do that. The more expensive one should have more choice
Old 04-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
F10 550 ^ the new BMW trunk spoiler is carbon fiber and will have the same crappy resale value as the X-3.

Yea, even better, get the F11 Touring wagon. Beat the TSX wagon to the grocery store.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:33 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who said anything about resale? Lease it.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Once you are used to the driving dynamic of the BMW. I really don't see how you can go back to a FWD TL, even when it is an awesome ride for what it is.

I think a 535/550 with M Sport package is the way to go. That car looks absolutely gorgeous. If you want more power, it's just one Dinan tune away. It cost more but I think it is worth every penny.

If I have the budget for a 5 series, I will be driving one today.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Hey were is Technocat?
Yep. Just looked at the maintainance costs on the BMW as I was considering trading RDX on '09 M-3 and nearly shit my pants when I saw the yearly costs on the 3 series are OVER $2,000! Who in their right mind would give BMW stealership all that money?
Excuse me sir. Can you provide the source for that OVER $2000/year figure?

I am actually in the process of getting a 3 series. I have done my research and spoke to many of my friends that drives a 3 series. The cost of maintaining a 3 series in no where close to that.

Also, you cannot compare the maintenance of an M3 with a 400+hp v8 motor to a 328 with an inline 6 making about half as much power. You will pay more for oil change. You will also pay more for brakes and tires on the M3, how much more depends on how you drive the car.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a TL actually. Just stating my opinion I don't know why they do that. Its one thing with options but color choice should be the same unless its a special model color like for (Type S/BMW M/Lexus F).
I totally agree with you!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SL1200MK4
Excuse me sir. Can you provide the source for that OVER $2000/year figure?

I am actually in the process of getting a 3 series. I have done my research and spoke to many of my friends that drives a 3 series. The cost of maintaining a 3 series in no where close to that.

Also, you cannot compare the maintenance of an M3 with a 400+hp v8 motor to a 328 with an inline 6 making about half as much power. You will pay more for oil change. You will also pay more for brakes and tires on the M3, how much more depends on how you drive the car.
All great points, but after my warranty and free maintenance are up, there are plenty of solid and honest Indys to have work done for much less then BMW. Same can be said for Acura. Acura timing belt change, about a grand. Find a good Indy and have the same work done for about 6 Franklins.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
The five has a slightly bigger trunk. It's kind of hard to go from a 5 to a TL, I went from a 535i and 3g TL to 4G . Overall the 5 is just more solid car, but you pay for it. I am sure it holds true for the 550, but the way that thing accelerates is amazing. There is a certain feel to the car, that the TL has never been able to capture. I think the electronics in the Acura have been eclipsed by BMW as of late. Which has usually been one of Acura's stronger points. Both are great cars.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:27 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Hey were is Technocat?
LOL. Where are you looking at that false information? We have a 2006 BMW 325xi (E90) with over 90k miles. NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM. It has cost us less then our Lexus/Acura. Since the first 50k it was no cost maintenance at 47k they replaced the front/rear brakes. The brakes are the only service (unless something major goes wrong) that cost a good amount.

After the warranty expired I just did oil changes. And since the interval for the oil change is 15k miles it costs less in the long run compared to our Acura/Lexus. We pay $30 for the Acura oil and pay $70 for the Lexus oil and they need to be changed every 5k miles. With the BMW I pay $60 at the local indy shop and that lasts 15k miles. I have a 2008 5 series that has been trouble free and our 2011 535i should be coming any week now.

Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme
I totally agree with you!
Nice F10! What color is that? We ordered imperial blue over venetian. Are you into tuning? The first thing I am going to do is get a tune installed and dual cone intake. Believe it or not my cousin got a 550i and itbeat the 2011 M3 in straight line.

Anyway OP. Its your choice. The F10 is a great car. Since you have a E60 550i I would look into the F10 550i. The MPG BMW cars get is amazing. I get 19MPG on my 3G TL the new 535i will get 28MPG and it has twin turbo 300HP I6 engine.

The handling/performance would be a bit different but for a FWD the TL handles fine. It actually feels good like a drivers car. Try a Lexus and then try the TL. The Lexus handles like boats GUTLESS. I am glad I gave the TL a try. I will always have a Acura in the family. I am starting to like the 4G TL looks.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Instructor

LOL. Where are you looking at that false information? We have a 2006 BMW 325xi (E90) with over 90k miles. NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM. It has cost us less then our Lexus/Acura. Since the first 50k it was no cost maintenance at 47k they replaced the front/rear brakes. The brakes are the only service (unless something major goes wrong) that cost a good amount.

After the warranty expired I just did oil changes. And since the interval for the oil change is 15k miles it costs less in the long run compared to our Acura/Lexus. We pay $30 for the Acura oil and pay $70 for the Lexus oil and they need to be changed every 5k miles. With the BMW I pay $60 at the local indy shop and that lasts 15k miles. I have a 2008 5 series that has been trouble free and our 2011 535i should be coming any week now.

Nice F10! What color is that? We ordered imperial blue over venetian. Are you into tuning? The first thing I am going to do is get a tune installed and dual cone intake. Believe it or not my cousin got a 550i and itbeat the 2011 M3 in straight line.
Anyway OP. Its your choice. The F10 is a great car. Since you have a E60 550i I would look into the F10 550i. The MPG BMW cars get is amazing. I get 19MPG on my 3G TL the new 535i will get 28MPG and it has twin turbo 300HP I6 engine.

The handling/performance would be a bit different but for a FWD the TL handles fine. It actually feels good like a drivers car. Try a Lexus and then try the TL. The Lexus handles like boats GUTLESS. I am glad I gave the TL a try. I will always have a Acura in the family. I am starting to like the 4G TL looks.
Thanks, man! She's Titanium with Black Dakota interior. I may chip her in the future but save your money on the cones. They do very little if anything being the engine compartment is sealed pretty good and the only air you would be pulling in is hot air. Some have mentioned on the BMW sites power was actually lost rather then gained.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

I went from an 06 TL to an 08 550 M Sport package. I test drove an 11 SHAWD and it was a fine car. But the 550 by far put a bigger smile on my face. I say keep the 550.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
a 550 is super cool. i'd keep it. if the monthly payment will be ok for you... downside is that you will have a monthly payment AND hte repairs..

factor the cost of your new monthly payment + cost to warranty it + cost of the non-covered upkeep vs leasing something new.

i'll bet it costs more to buy the bmw when you factor in the couple grand or more you'll drop for a warranty and the liekly repairs/upkeep... BUT.. it's a 550. no TL will keep up with that 550i... torque is fun. but they are both nice cars.

hard decision. a big factor is your financial situation. it's harder to rationalize unnecessary cars when you are watching pennies...and easy to satisy your car fantasies when you don't have to stress about what it costs...

good luck.... either way yo will be a "winner".. most people wish they had your "problem"...
Old 04-27-2011, 06:06 PM
No, you are a dork.

Thanks for all of the replies....while it is partially a financial situation it is more a situation of me buying the 550i and not being satisfied with it not being a new car. I really appreciate all of the replies but I am no closer to making my decision. Honestly, I have been spoiled with my previous Acura purchases (I know one of the owners of the dealership). It literally was as simple as him having the car delivered to me (I'm about 2hrs away now) and signing a couple of docs...he gave me a couple hundred over invoice for all 4 of my previous Acuras. I went to the local dealership a couple of days ago and was quickly reminded how good I've had it. The standard, "come inside, meet my manager....let me get your info." I was honest. Told them that I had a connection and was really just interested in driving a car. They didn't have any SH-AWD Advances so I didn't drive anything (I do love the 2011 double pipes on the SH-AWD, though). Talked to my buddy and he is having someone put together a quote for me....Will be interesting to see what the lease looks like. Now that I think about it, I am kinda leaning towards the new TL. I think the 550i purchase will be a bit more monthly and once you factor in the repairs, warranty, etc. it will be more than a bit. I could always pick up one a year out if this doesnt work out, right? :-)
Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Intermediate

I'm like you. Used to be loyal Honda/Acura fan and now mostly BMW. My current cars are

1998 Honda Prelude
2004 NSX
2004 TL
2011 M3 Vert

I had a 2007 M5 that i turned in last July and loved the car except for the SMG at low speeds. It was my first BMW and I'm now hooked. But notice I kept my TL. It has been trouble free and has cost me only oil changes in 7+ years of ownership. I'm back on these forums because I'm debating getting rid of my TL to either trade in for the NEW TL or the new F10.

Here's my opinion. You will not like the TL after driving the 5. My TL is my backup beater car and honestly, I hate the way it drives now after driving BMWs. Yes, I know the new TL is improved and yes, I know that the BMWs cost alot more. But you have been spoiled and you will not like moving "down". The driving dynamics are just so different.

So either keep the 550, or wait a few months and lease the new F10 535. I'm going to wait a few more months for the new model year and hope for better lease deals. Even now, you can get into a 535 for around 700 bucks/month with no money down.

Also, my hondas/acuras have been amazing between the Prelude and TL I haven't paid a dime over routine maintenance. That being said, the BMWs I've had have also been trouble free. Only a couple dead batteries. The quality, while not on the level of Honda is vastly improved from the 90s when BMW got their bad reputation. I have friends with 3 series well beyond warranty that haven't had any issues so don't believe the 2000/year cost. It's not even close.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:34 PM
No, you are a dork.

Originally Posted by poncekim
Even now, you can get into a 535 for around 700 bucks/month with no money down.
Are you sure? Stripped down 535i, I'd bet...right?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Intermediate

Are you sure? Stripped down 535i, I'd bet...right?
Yup, I'm sure. Not stripped down either. You will need to put down MSD to get a great deal.

You can get a 60k MSRP 535 which has almost 10k in options for around 675 + tax for 12k miles/year. Drive off would only be lease inception fee of 725 and DMV registration. The 7 security deposits would be about 5k, but you get that all back at the end of the lease, but saves you about $40/month. So it's like depositing 5k in the bank and getting 1500 in interest over 3 years. Great deal and should always be done on a BMW lease.

Other key factors - you will get a .0003 loyalty discount on the money factor because you are currently a BMW financial services customer. These cars are selling for near invoice in alot of markets. 500 over invoice is really easy.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I've leased 3 BMWs now and know when/how to get great deals.

2007 BMW M5 lease - 100k MSRP I leased for 1000/month + tax for 3 years
2011 BMW M3 Convertible - 78K MSRP I leased for 650/month + tax for 3 years.

I'm amazed when I see people leasing Acuras and other japanese cars for 500 bucks when you can move up for a little more when these deals come up.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Last time I took an economics class 15K difference in price on anything should mean a big difference in what you get...that's like expecting a $100 cellphone just doesn't compare to an 4G iPhone. I would hope with the big price difference that if I got into a 60K BMW that I got $15K more performance, duh. Why are folks so hell bent or comparing a oranges to apples? WTF add $15K in MODs to the TL and I'm sure it would be ahead of the BMW. That's like when the NSX came it was unheard of for a car to be at it's price out performing cars twice it's price. The power of the badge is amazing
Old 05-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Last time I took an economics class 15K difference in price on anything should mean a big difference in what you get...that's like expecting a $100 cellphone just doesn't compare to an 4G iPhone. I would hope with the big price difference that if I got into a 60K BMW that I got $15K more performance, duh. Why are folks so hell bent or comparing a oranges to apples? WTF add $15K in MODs to the TL and I'm sure it would be ahead of the BMW. That's like when the NSX came it was unheard of for a car to be at it's price out performing cars twice it's price. The power of the badge is amazing
Not sure why you're so upset. No one here is arguing that it's apples to oranges or basic econ 101. We are discussing relative value here, and whether the it will be "worth it" for the OP to trade down and pay less and be happier than he is when he's driving a BMW and paying more.

Some people think so, and they purchase Acuras. Some people think it's worth paying more for BMWs. Isn't it great that we all have so many choices to drive the car WE value? No need to put down either camp. You've obviously made a decision that the BMW badge is overrated. Great. That's you're opinion but it doesn't necessarily make you right and everyone spending more for the badge wrong.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Not sure why you're so upset. No one here is arguing that it's apples to oranges or basic econ 101. We are discussing relative value here, and whether the it will be "worth it" for the OP to trade down and pay less and be happier than he is when he's driving a BMW and paying more.

Some people think so, and they purchase Acuras. Some people think it's worth paying more for BMWs. Isn't it great that we all have so many choices to drive the car WE value? No need to put down either camp. You've obviously made a decision that the BMW badge is overrated. Great. That's you're opinion but it doesn't necessarily make you right and everyone spending more for the badge wrong.

Not upset or arguing as in mad. Just making a point, as you said folks have opinions and I have mine. I just made an observation that folks folks seem to think that $15k isn't a difference maker in what you get in a product when it does. I wouldn't expect a $400 dollar laptop to provide the same performance as a $2000 laptop. That is my point.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Yup, I'm sure. Not stripped down either. You will need to put down MSD to get a great deal.

You can get a 60k MSRP 535 which has almost 10k in options for around 675 + tax for 12k miles/year. Drive off would only be lease inception fee of 725 and DMV registration. The 7 security deposits would be about 5k, but you get that all back at the end of the lease, but saves you about $40/month. So it's like depositing 5k in the bank and getting 1500 in interest over 3 years. Great deal and should always be done on a BMW lease.

Other key factors - you will get a .0003 loyalty discount on the money factor because you are currently a BMW financial services customer. These cars are selling for near invoice in alot of markets. 500 over invoice is really easy.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I've leased 3 BMWs now and know when/how to get great deals.

2007 BMW M5 lease - 100k MSRP I leased for 1000/month + tax for 3 years
2011 BMW M3 Convertible - 78K MSRP I leased for 650/month + tax for 3 years.

I'm amazed when I see people leasing Acuras and other japanese cars for 500 bucks when you can move up for a little more when these deals come up.
Why are you amazed, don't they have a right to an...opinion? Perhaps they feel the Japanese brand is, dare I say, superior in their view? Not arguing just an observation.