Sponsored by: DashLynx

Low quality work on air bag recall from dealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 03:39 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Angry Low quality work on air bag recall from dealership

Hi,
It is so annoying that the rattle come up from the steering wheel when driving through bumpy and cracking road and accelerating recently.
Took the car to the NH dealership to do the air bag recall in around April, 2017(which was pretty much very late comparing to the recall started, the purpose was to let the tech get familiar of the fixing process and get practiced. also NH is not that hot as south).
after recall work, did not notice the rattle I guess at that moment, it was warm, I always kept the window wide open during driving, so could not notice the rattle. now after 7 months, temperature went down dramatically, start using the heat and let the window open tiny, also temperature could make plastic cramping a bit . notice the rattle coming from the steering wheel. when I put my palm on the honk, not press, the rattle went away.
very disappointed on the dealer. actually, when the work had been down, I checked the underneath of the steeling wheel, they put the scratch on plastic around the screw hole everywhere. was thinking how reckless when they were doing the work on customers's car (just let that go at that time. no expectation on them, did not want to argue). but now looks like they even done the worse work.
so f* incompetent. do not want to bring the car back(they would drive shit out of the car and told you not able to replicate the issue, f* them again). maybe just live with it ````
Old 11-15-2017, 03:58 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
That sucks. Sorry to hear. Luckily the Acura dealers here in UT are pretty good. Can't say a bad thing about either. But still, I'm always hesitant to take my car in there. It's only for things like recalls, promotions or free stuff like the occasional oil change. I just don't like people messing around with my car but luckily, they've done pretty good work up to this point.

If the rattling stops when you place your hand on the center of the wheel, I'd consider trying to place some sort of shim between the center and edge of the wheel. That might provide just enough pressure or lift to eliminate the rattle. I dealt with a ton of rattles on my 3G that way. Tearing things apart just didn't make sense. Instead, I learned to place shims in inconspicuous places until I solved the rattle. It was a trial and error system because you had to do something, then drive, then adjust if it didn't fix the problem. Sometimes it took a dozen times before I got it. There were a few times where I had my wife drive the car and I'd mess around with a panel until I honed in on the rattle. Luckily I've only had two rattles on my 4G, one near the drivers side kick panel that I fixed, and the other which I'm still hunting down. It seems to be near the navigation screen and tends to come and go. I'll get it eventually.....

Best of luck to ya
Old 11-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lltfly
Hi,
It is so annoying that the rattle come up from the steering wheel when driving through bumpy and cracking road and accelerating recently.
Took the car to the NH dealership to do the air bag recall in around April, 2017(which was pretty much very late comparing to the recall started, the purpose was to let the tech get familiar of the fixing process and get practiced. also NH is not that hot as south).
after recall work, did not notice the rattle I guess at that moment, it was warm, I always kept the window wide open during driving, so could not notice the rattle. now after 7 months, temperature went down dramatically, start using the heat and let the window open tiny, also temperature could make plastic cramping a bit . notice the rattle coming from the steering wheel. when I put my palm on the honk, not press, the rattle went away.
very disappointed on the dealer. actually, when the work had been down, I checked the underneath of the steeling wheel, they put the scratch on plastic around the screw hole everywhere. was thinking how reckless when they were doing the work on customers's car (just let that go at that time. no expectation on them, did not want to argue). but now looks like they even done the worse work.
so f* incompetent. do not want to bring the car back(they would drive shit out of the car and told you not able to replicate the issue, f* them again). maybe just live with it ````

Had a similar issue the dealership I bought my car from did a sloppy job on the airbag replacement which was causing a squeaking/creaking noise when turning the steering wheel. Took it to a different Acura dealer and they replaced the airbag and made sure it was done right. Said they also are instructed to add extra tape and foam around some of the wiring and said most dealerships don't do this which can cause issues with noises.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ronricks
Had a similar issue the dealership I bought my car from did a sloppy job on the airbag replacement which was causing a squeaking/creaking noise when turning the steering wheel. Took it to a different Acura dealer and they replaced the airbag and made sure it was done right. Said they also are instructed to add extra tape and foam around some of the wiring and said most dealerships don't do this which can cause issues with noises.
This is good service. now I just lost the trust on dealer. tired of dealing with them plus not willing to let them drive shit out of my car with 99% of chance of not being able to replicate. where is your dealer? New England area?