Looking at used 2013/14 TL SH AWD - why are they such a good price!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at used 2013/14 TL SH AWD - why are they such a good price!

Was looking at 2013/14 RDX and decided to look at TL SH AWD and I am amazed how cheap they are selling. I am in MA and they range from 19-23K for most. The RDX in general almost $3000-5000 more expensive.

Did research and notice excessive oil consumption, propeller and torque converter which can be problem but should be warrantied under Acura. I also know about airbag issue. Am i missing anything else why this car is priced so competitively. I have 2003 TL Type S and looking to upgrade. Wanted to try getting RDX but with prices like this for AWD and likely Tech package for not much more, I may be convinced to stay with the TL.

Also, one more thing, would all the known issues I mentioned above with oil, propeller and torque make anyone avoid SH AWD? Looks like hard to tell if you will have the issues until you purchase the car and drive it for a few hundred miles. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-12-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I believe it's normal depreciation.
i bought my '06 TL in 2010 for $23k
that was four years after 2006.
four years after 2014 and the 4G TL is maxing out at $23k according to your numbers.

seems pretty inline
Old 04-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
SUVs are more popular at the moment (until gas hits $4/gallon again). Used SUV prices are abnormally high, meaning lower demand sedans are generally lower). The prices you are seeing reflect this and normal depreciation.
The following users liked this post:
csmeance (04-12-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 347 Posts
The airbag recall hurt Acura when people decided to dump their TL based on the airbag recall because there was a recent period where there was a stop sale on many vehicles including 4G's. So now you hae lots full of them. So its a great time to pick one up
Old 04-20-2017, 04:40 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
SUVs are more popular at the moment (until gas hits $4/gallon again). Used SUV prices are abnormally high, meaning lower demand sedans are generally lower). The prices you are seeing reflect this and normal depreciation.
I really like your profile picture. I did not mention it. it's been a while the wheel looks so good and the angle you shot the picture is just right
Old 04-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by lltfly
I really like your profile picture. I did not mention it. it's been a while the wheel looks so good and the angle you shot the picture is just right
Thanks. Yeah, not sure why Acura hasn't produced many sets of really good looking wheels lately. The 4G TL's were really spot on.

When I first got this car, I wasn't thrilled by the looks but the drive won me over. I still love the way the car drives, but I've really grown to appreciate the car's styling, notwithstanding a few odd quirks I'd change if I could. Maybe it was really a bit ahead of its time.

Thanks again for the comment.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

If the 4G had an updated 3G style grille with a longer hood length there would have been no issue and the car would have been more well received
Old 04-21-2017, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
A lot of members have also complained about clunking noises on either the front passenger side or driver side. Might take that into consideration as well.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
The torque converter will be covered under warranty and this is an expensive repair so that's important.
The oil burning issue is a difficult issue to comment on.
If you read this bb it seems that this is a huge issue, and it would probably scare me away from the SH AWD models with the 3.7L engine.
But do we really know how big this is across the whole population of TLs with the 3.7L?
What are the percentages? What are the numbers, i.e. what % of cars are actually oil burners?
I'm not convinced that the AWD version is so much more desirable (than the fwd version) but I have never driven one so my opinion is only speculation.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jim_c
The torque converter will be covered under warranty and this is an expensive repair so that's important.
The oil burning issue is a difficult issue to comment on.
If you read this bb it seems that this is a huge issue, and it would probably scare me away from the SH AWD models with the 3.7L engine.
But do we really know how big this is across the whole population of TLs with the 3.7L?
What are the percentages? What are the numbers, i.e. what % of cars are actually oil burners?
I'm not convinced that the AWD version is so much more desirable (than the fwd version) but I have never driven one so my opinion is only speculation.
The driving dynamics are night and day. The 3.5 is ample power but won't get you through turns and maneuvering the way SHAWD will. Get the right tires and there is no squeeling
Old 05-01-2017, 11:04 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 435 Likes on 321 Posts
The driving dynamics are night and day. The 3.5 is ample power but won't get you through turns and maneuvering the way SHAWD will. Get the right tires and there is no squeeling
Yeah the SHAWD really feels fast and nimble around turns, especially when giving it some gas when coming out of a turn. I was also very impressed with how it drives in the snow.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:24 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just purchased 2014 SH AWD from private seller, and am hoping oil consumption won't be a problem. The idea of graduating from decades of Honda's (CVCC, two Odysseys, Element) to Acura is to have the reliability maintained, even conceding it'll be more expensive. Let's hope! If I get burned it'll be my fault for not dancing with the one what brought me -- coulda got a manual accord coupe....Been enjoying, and slightly filled with dread, reading through these intelligent posts here about how it IS possible to get that one car that becomes a financial sinkhole, but appreciate all the can-do aptitude expressed here among you Acura users.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Was looking at 2013/14 RDX and decided to look at TL SH AWD and I am amazed how cheap they are selling. I am in MA and they range from 19-23K for most. The RDX in general almost $3000-5000 more expensive.

Did research and notice excessive oil consumption, propeller and torque converter which can be problem but should be warrantied under Acura. I also know about airbag issue. Am i missing anything else why this car is priced so competitively. I have 2003 TL Type S and looking to upgrade. Wanted to try getting RDX but with prices like this for AWD and likely Tech package for not much more, I may be convinced to stay with the TL.

Also, one more thing, would all the known issues I mentioned above with oil, propeller and torque make anyone avoid SH AWD? Looks like hard to tell if you will have the issues until you purchase the car and drive it for a few hundred miles. Thanks in advance!
I had a 2003 TL and got a 2012 SH-AWD Advance in February of 2015. To this day, when I get in that car I'm still happy with it! I had the propeller shaft taken care of, never had an issue with the torque converter, and I just check my oil frequently. Only twice did I notice that it was low. Once I started checking regularly everything appeared to be ok. Friends, family and young ladies that get in the car are always impressed. I feel like the vehicle is underrated and I kinda like that. Now we're a few more years into this model so I don't know if you'll mind, but there's no other vehicle currently out that I feel I MUST replace "Wing Zero" with hope this helps!!
Old 05-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
I honestly believe the 4G SH-AWD w/ tech package will be remembered as on of the best sport sedans Acura ever built. It's not at the track? Check out youtube sometime. The guy driving wasn't even close to the limit on the car. Remember, this is a 4 door family cruiser by day that can go to the track and pull over a G with the right tires and is fantastic so long as you use the paddle shifters to hold gears and pull corner to corner. It is under appreciated for sure.