Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

looking into TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 03:05 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
looking into TL

Hey guys new guy on the block. I currently have an older 1998 bmw 740il supercharged and been a blast. due to bigger mileage and constant worry / actual spending of repairs, my wife and I are considering moving on to something else. we already have a 2009 accord Lx, but it feels boring to me and the cloth seats are hard and neck pain inducing. I've sat in leather accord of the same model without issue. My goal is to buy a reliable awd sedan that is fun. reliability being key, also my wife's favorite brand, I've started looking into RL, TLs. I am interested in the sh awd, 6 speed automatic and have found a few in the area. Not having test driven these cars yet, and not a hot car for the journalists, I have not found much to help with my decision making. So here I am looking for some information from the forums. supraforums and bimmerforums have been great and hope acurazine would be the same!

question 1: is the shawd models reliable as well as the 6sp automatics. any specifics i should know about these clutch packs and are they expensive to maintain.
question 2: does the TL, RL suffer the same brake premature wear that my wife's accord had? seems like something was haywire with the stability control causing it to wear out the pads and rotors faster. there was a recall and havent had shimmy steering wheel since.
question 3: how are the seats/comfort? we want a comfortable ride for long trips.
question 4: is there much difference in the TL and the RL? dimensions looks 1in apart at most areas, heard the RL has higher overdrive in the clutch packs which means i donno wtf that means... I am more interested in the handling dynamics as I would like something comparable to the bmw it replaces.

thats all i can think of at the moment. if there are any BMW owners with both acura and bmw experience and care to share their thoughts, that would be much appreciated.

Tsung
Old 05-04-2018, 06:21 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
get in and test drive.
since no two people are alike, we can't answer your subjective questions like comfort and handling, because we obviously bought the Acura...now, some might complain about the seats being too short, affecting long drive comfort... but that's an individual thing. Get in and test drive the car and see if it's something comparable to your supercharged bmw
Old 05-04-2018, 09:02 AM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
I have a 2013 Acura TL FWD and I can tell you there’s no issue with the brakes wearing out at all. Actually the dealer always compliments me on how my brake pads are always in good shape. Only issue I heard about the AWD model is the oil burning which is a reason I stuck to the FWD model. For all models you have to keep an eye on the transmission fluid cause I read somewhere that it tends to wear out faster than Acura expected causing a few torque converter issues. Overall these cars are bulletaproof. I’m coming from a 1997 Nissan Maxima and 2007 Honda Civic Coupe and I can tell you this is the best car I have ever owned!
Old 05-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts
1. I've had my 2010 as a daily driver for the past 4 years, and other than my original engine burning too much oil (common J37A4 motor problem) and getting it replaced under warranty by Acura, I haven't had a single other issue with it.
2. My brake wear has been perfectly fine.
3. I take 900 mile (round trip) road trips once a year or so, and the seats support me well through the whole trip. Haven't had a passenger complaint about the back seats either. I have back problems, and I can make it through the 6-10 hour drive with taking one 30 min food break, and get back to driving.
4. Not sure how the RL SH-AWD handles since I've never driven one, but the clutch pack overdrive you're referring to is the Acceleration Device that is in the RL's more complicated implementation of the SH-AWD system. It's an additional gearbox between the transfer case/transmission and the rear differential (clutch packs) that allows the rear wheels to spin at up to 5.7% faster than the front wheels. The TL SH-AWD doesn't have this, so our rear wheels are constantly overdriven by only 1.7%. Since the SH-AWD rear diff also transmits up to 100% of that rear axle torque to the left or right wheel to help the car rotate around a corner, that means in theory that the RL would rotate through a corner with more force than the TL would.

But yeah, I'm a huge fan of the reliability with mine, so go drive some. And if you're only interested in 6-spd autos, limit your searches to 2012-2014. 2009-2011 SH-AWDs only came in 5AT and 6MT.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Instructor

I got to test drive a RL today and did like the drive overall. this engine burning oil symptom is worrying me. any links that gives more in depth details on why that happens and you had your engine replaced!? hardly a good way to say reliable buddy... haha.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts
lmao good point, but it still ran fine as long as I kept some spare oil in my trunk lol. And nothing else has broken since.

And here is the official technical service bulletin explaining the oil consumption problem:

TSB 18-009 - Engine Oil Consumption Exceeds Client Expectations
Applies To: 2009-14 TL SH-AWD - ALL - ALL
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B18-009.PDF

Sticky post with all 2009-2014 TL service bulletins:
https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-.../#post15751416
Old 05-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Thanks for raising the oil consumption issue here.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-generation-tl-2009-2014-123/acuras-response-excessive-oil-consumption-939258/page3/

after reading the thread, ive decided not to pursue the RL/TL. Point was to get honda reliability, shawd, and 3.7L dual vtec, but buying one withoit warranty and without previous hx, i might as well enjoy what i got and not risk it. Thanks again for the heads up. Mucch appreciated!
Old 05-31-2018, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, new owner of a TL AWD and wishing I'd have not bought after seeing that thread. I came into here doing research months ago but that thread was not at the top at the time. Now I come in today and have some buyers remorse.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by daschwa
Well, new owner of a TL AWD and wishing I'd have not bought after seeing that thread. I came into here doing research months ago but that thread was not at the top at the time. Now I come in today and have some buyers remorse.
Buyer's remorse? For a problem you're not having? Alright then.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
Buyer's remorse? For a problem you're not having? Alright then.
I've had the car in my possession for 5 days so not sure I can say I don't, but the mere existence of the TSB and the uncertainty when this oil burn problem will surface is giving me doubt. Is that not reasonable?

Last edited by daschwa; 05-31-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:14 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by daschwa
I've had the car in my possession for 5 days so not sure I can say I don't, but the mere existence of the TSB and the uncertainty when this oil burn problem will surface is giving me doubt. Is that not reasonable?
You’ll be fine. My 2007 Honda Civic Coupe had a TSB for a cracking engine block. Never happened to mine but it happen to numerous others. I guess it’s the luck of the draw. As long as you keep the oil level where it should be you’ll be fine. My 1997 Maxima leaked oil from one of the seals below and that thing lasted me. The TL is a pretty reliable car. Nothing compares to this gen when it comes to styling and comfort. The TLX isn’t even a true replacement. Only car right now that is a true replacement in my eyes is the newer RLX but it cost a fortune.

Last edited by Kinuto; 05-31-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by shenofjo
Hey guys new guy on the block. I currently have an older 1998 bmw 740il supercharged and been a blast. due to bigger mileage and constant worry / actual spending of repairs, my wife and I are considering moving on to something else. we already have a 2009 accord Lx, but it feels boring to me and the cloth seats are hard and neck pain inducing. I've sat in leather accord of the same model without issue. My goal is to buy a reliable awd sedan that is fun. reliability being key, also my wife's favorite brand, I've started looking into RL, TLs. I am interested in the sh awd, 6 speed automatic and have found a few in the area. Not having test driven these cars yet, and not a hot car for the journalists, I have not found much to help with my decision making. So here I am looking for some information from the forums. supraforums and bimmerforums have been great and hope acurazine would be the same!

question 1: is the shawd models reliable as well as the 6sp automatics. any specifics i should know about these clutch packs and are they expensive to maintain.
question 2: does the TL, RL suffer the same brake premature wear that my wife's accord had? seems like something was haywire with the stability control causing it to wear out the pads and rotors faster. there was a recall and havent had shimmy steering wheel since.
question 3: how are the seats/comfort? we want a comfortable ride for long trips.
question 4: is there much difference in the TL and the RL? dimensions looks 1in apart at most areas, heard the RL has higher overdrive in the clutch packs which means i donno wtf that means... I am more interested in the handling dynamics as I would like something comparable to the bmw it replaces.

thats all i can think of at the moment. if there are any BMW owners with both acura and bmw experience and care to share their thoughts, that would be much appreciated.

Tsung
TL is a super comfy highway cruiser! It sounds like it'll fit the bill but there are a few quirks with the SH-AWD models and TL in general:
1. Make sure Airbag recall has been done (ALL)
2. ATF Filter can make a gurgling sound. Solution is a trip to the dealer and a free new filter since it's a known issue.
3. SH-AWD driveshaft for the rear wheels (called propeller shaft) has not replaceable parts that can whine with age/mileage. Test drive a SH-AWD before purchase and listen for whistle/howl noise if present. It may indicate you need a new driveshaft.
4. SHAWD 3.7L Engines can consume oil. Acura has a TSB and is doing oil consumption tests and replacing engines in some cases.
5. Brakes are not going to wear out prematurely like with the Accord. You'll like the improvement in stopping power!
6. 6SPD auto in all 2012+ TL's are pretty good. Some 2012's needed a new 2-stage torque converter instead of 1-stage that they came from the factory with. There was a software update to reduce/remove a slight judder at low speeds when lightly accelerating first thing in the morning with the 2 stage torque converter, plus a free fluid flush of 12 quarts of ATF. Replace ATF regularly (like every other oil change a 1x3 since the 2-stage converter and trans like to wear through faster than spec'ed and Acura is aware of it) and it should have no trouble getting to 200K. There is a replaceable filter, I recommend doing it every 50K miles even though there is no specified interval.
7. Seats have been pretty great, no trouble when I have to travel long distances. Leather is way better than any Acura I've had before. Downside is the armrest in the center is the same crap vinyl+padding that wears out in 50K miles.

I would spring for the advance model with cooled seats and blind spot monitoring. Price difference isn't much with those in the used market.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I find the seats to be very comfortable. I used to drive Uber for 12-14 hours a day with no problem. Still had to get out and stretch a bit from time to time but that's normal with any car. The SH-AWD oil issue has been mentioned. I have the FWD so no issues there, but I wouldn't hesitate to get the SH-AWD if I was initially willing to shell out the additional $$$. The oil consumption problem has been widespread but hasn't affected every car. And it doesn't seem to affect engine operation like increased knocking or something like that. Adding oil now and there isn't a huge deal in my book. The 6AT is plenty reliable, or has been in my case. The main issue some were having was the torque converter, not the transmission itself. I have 160K and it's running strong. I suggest changing the ATF frequently just for good insurance. I've had some brake issues but nothing that's been a deal killer. The brake booster went bad at about 155K. Easy replacement. $70 on AcuraOEMParts. My rotors, which were original when I bought the car at 58K miles were warped. I replaced with Centric which also warped. That was probably my fault somehow. I have Duralast Gold on now from Autozone and so far so good.