Notices

Look what Acura sent me in the mail today

 
Old 02-20-2019, 07:18 PM
  #41  
Registered Member
 
JM2010 SH-AWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,097
Received 355 Likes on 241 Posts
^^ Sounds like you're getting the rebuild at that rate of use! Good luck.
JM2010 SH-AWD is offline  
Old 02-21-2019, 11:23 AM
  #42  
Registered Member
 
sockpuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alberta, CANADA
Posts: 822
Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperHandlingTL View Post
Before you go to start your consumption test, MAKE SURE you donít have any oil leaks.
That's exactly what I did. More than anything else, I wanted to make certain that the dealer didn't expect to fix this. in the end, it was a leaking bolt, which my mechanic (former Acura service guy) tells me was the subject of a TSB (though I've not seen which one)

Originally Posted by SuperHandlingTL View Post
... check the oil level BEFORE leaving the dealer as Iíve heard many reports of dealer over filling vehicles so it would appear they would potentially pass the test and be declined warranty work.
I forgot to check my level before leaving, as the procedure took way too long, and I just wanted to get out of there and get to work. I can check in my parkade this afternoon. But this surprises me, as one would think it's in the dealer's interest to get warranty work approved by Acura. More business for them; do they really care who pays the bill?
sockpuppet is offline  
Old 02-21-2019, 03:14 PM
  #43  
Registered Member
 
Maks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Upstate NY
Age: 31
Posts: 21
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bringing my 2010 TL with 118k miles to the dealership this Saturday. They charge $69.95 for synthetic oil change. I hope I will be in and out within an hour. It definitely does burn oil.
Maks is offline  
Old 02-21-2019, 03:51 PM
  #44  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
dopeboy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Age: 29
Posts: 724
Received 127 Likes on 102 Posts
Defiantly suggest checking the oil level before leaving the dealership as mine was also overfilled. But I think their overfilling is habitual and not related to me having a consumption test done.
dopeboy1 is offline  
Old 02-23-2019, 09:56 PM
  #45  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New Jersey
Age: 27
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW my oil level from the dealership was exactly on the top line of the dipstick after my oil test. My only concern was they billed me for 0w20 instead of 5w30 but i am still down 1.5qt over the 1000 miles. I got my official letter today so i'll be bringing it in Monday to see what they say. If there's any interest i'll update on what happens.
danman2991 is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 08:14 AM
  #46  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 37
Posts: 92
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by danman2991 View Post
FWIW my oil level from the dealership was exactly on the top line of the dipstick after my oil test. My only concern was they billed me for 0w20 instead of 5w30 but i am still down 1.5qt over the 1000 miles. I got my official letter today so i'll be bringing it in Monday to see what they say. If there's any interest i'll update on what happens.
Please keep us updated. It sounds like you started the oil consumption test before even receiving the warranty extension letter? I'm in NJ as well. Which dealership did you go to?
cwh82 is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 04:11 PM
  #47  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New Jersey
Age: 27
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cwh82 View Post
Please keep us updated. It sounds like you started the oil consumption test before even receiving the warranty extension letter? I'm in NJ as well. Which dealership did you go to?

Yes, i started the oil consumption test when i saw the initial TSB on January 16th and happened to receive my letter just as i was finishing up the test. I went to Open Road Acura in Wayne and after they took a look at my car they claimed they "only" had to add 1 quart of oil and that is normal. It didn't seem to matter to them that i had the letter in hand and i burned 1 quart. They also claimed Acura updated their TSB 19-006 to remove the sentence "Warranty claims submitted within 6 months of the client notification will be covered regardless of mileage or vehicle age".

My vehicle is high mileage so I am at a loss of what to do next to get this fixed but hopefully everyone else has some more success than I did today.
danman2991 is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 04:48 PM
  #48  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 37
Posts: 92
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by danman2991 View Post
Yes, i started the oil consumption test when i saw the initial TSB on January 16th and happened to receive my letter just as i was finishing up the test. I went to Open Road Acura in Wayne and after they took a look at my car they claimed they "only" had to add 1 quart of oil and that is normal. It didn't seem to matter to them that i had the letter in hand and i burned 1 quart. They also claimed Acura updated their TSB 19-006 to remove the sentence "Warranty claims submitted within 6 months of the client notification will be covered regardless of mileage or vehicle age".

My vehicle is high mileage so I am at a loss of what to do next to get this fixed but hopefully everyone else has some more success than I did today.
Have you gone through the full 3 x 1k miles oil consumption test or only the first 1k miles. According to the TSB, updated Feb 21, they are still honoring warranty claims submitted within 6 months. Unless there has been a new update. http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-006.PDF
cwh82 is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 04:57 PM
  #49  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New Jersey
Age: 27
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cwh82 View Post
Have you gone through the full 3 x 1k miles oil consumption test or only the first 1k miles. According to the TSB, updated Feb 21, they are still honoring warranty claims submitted within 6 months. Unless there has been a new update. http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-006.PDF
Open Road only requested i do an oil consumption test for the first 1k miles and after the first fill up they claimed it was done. I have the copy of the TSB they gave me in my car so i can check when i get out of work to see if that is the Feb 21st version. I had to get back to work earlier so i just took their word for it, perhaps they are just clueless and a call to corporate or another test from a different dealership may be in order!

Last edited by danman2991; 02-26-2019 at 05:00 PM.
danman2991 is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 05:15 PM
  #50  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 38
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Received my letter in the mail last week and maid my appt for this week, lets see what happens. I would get close to 3700 miles on every change with synthetic blend but if i used full synthetic forget about it that oil light would ping around 2900.
04SSMnMD is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 05:25 PM
  #51  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 37
Posts: 92
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by danman2991 View Post
Open Road only requested i do an oil consumption test for the first 1k miles and after the first fill up they claimed it was done. I have the copy of the TSB they gave me in my car so i can check when i get out of work to see if that is the Feb 21st version. I had to get back to work earlier so i just took their word for it, perhaps they are just clueless and a call to corporate or another test from a different dealership may be in order!
I'm bringing my car in to Springfield Acura on Thursday. We'll see what they say. Did they give an Oil Consumption Test Worksheet?

Last edited by cwh82; 02-26-2019 at 05:28 PM.
cwh82 is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 07:54 PM
  #52  
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Age: 33
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I took my 2011 MDX in today at a dealership in St. Louis, MO to get this checked out since I had to add an additional quart of oil just a few weeks ago. They were gonna charge me for the oil change but reimburse it after the 1000 mile test.

Unfortunately while waiting I was notified that I have a rear main leak and an oil pump gasket leak which will need to be fixed. The parts add up to no more than $200 according to their quote but their labor is $1500 for sealing the Oil Pump gasket and $2000 for the Rear Main Oil Seal. That's $3500 just for labor. On top of that I also need the Power Steering Pump Front seal which they quoted $400 parts and labor. That seems exorbitant to me. What are my options? Please advise! I'm gonna try to get some other quotes tomorrow.
Rx2D2 is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 PM
  #53  
Senior Moderator
 
Ken1997TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Better Neighborhood, Arizona
Posts: 45,457
Received 2,161 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Labor is easily double what it should be for those jobs!
Ken1997TL is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 09:32 AM
  #54  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 38
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I encountered a different scenario when I went in for the oil consumption test. I made my apt for an oil change, which was due anyway, but upon arrival I told the service advisor I also would like to do the oil consumption test. He tells me oh well will just top the level off then have you come back for an oil change after 1k. Cool no biggie free oil this time, pay for an oil change after 1k mark. As I am reading the right up my oil, percentage is at 60 and they wrote no oil on dipstick added 3 quarts. Looks like I will be getting the rings replaced and keeping the 4G for a little while longer.
04SSMnMD is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
nfnsquared
AcuraZine User Help, Support & Suggestions Area
6
09-14-2016 12:15 PM
ifirahse
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
71
11-16-2008 12:29 PM
RaviNJCLs
Ramblings
27
04-24-2005 12:56 PM
Amoeba
Ramblings
17
07-07-2004 02:47 PM
Nicky Pass
2G CL Tires, Wheels, & Suspension
6
01-23-2003 10:35 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Look what Acura sent me in the mail today


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.