AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   Keyless entry slot (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/keyless-entry-slot-790732/)

MICKWOODLYN 09-07-2010 04:43 PM

Keyless entry slot

Can't get fob to stay in slot when glove box switch is off. Does anyone have this problem also.

MurkyRiversTL 09-07-2010 04:45 PM

Glove box switch??

MICKWOODLYN 09-07-2010 04:48 PM

The switch is supposed to disable keyless operation if the fob is not in the slot.

MurkyRiversTL 09-07-2010 05:02 PM

Is it popping out, I know when you put the car in drive it is supposed to lock the FOB in place until you put it in Park then it unlocks the fob. Perhaps teh locks are broken???

FAST4DR 09-07-2010 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by MICKWOODLYN (Post 12320292)
Can't get fob to stay in slot when glove box switch is off. Does anyone have this problem also.

I suspect you are not pushing it far enough in. Mine takes a good bit of effort to push it in.

acuratech239 09-08-2010 04:37 PM

OP -

Here is the response that I made to you in the other thread that you asked about this problem in:

Well, the 2010 TLs with keyless access operate a little bit differently then the 09s, but let me get this straight. With the keyless access system button OFF in the glove box, the key can still be pulled out when the car is running? If so, can you lock the car, and or does the remote work? If one of both of those answers to the second question is no, I'm going to guess you (or someone) removed the remote while the engine was running, which "damaged" the little hooks that hold the remote in. They just need to be reset, for lack of a better term. There is a TSB for the 09s about pushing these little guys back to their normal spot. Furthermore, that is the difference between the 09 and 10 keyless access. In the 09s, regardless if the master switch was on or off, the little grabbers engage, even if the remote was or wasn't in. In the 10s, they only engage if the master switch is off, meaning you would def have to have the remote in anyway.

sprinkles 12-04-2010 02:47 PM

I have this exact problem. My car was in the body shop for about a month and I went to pick it up today and found out that the car does not allow the key to fit into the slot. Not only that - the car thinks that the key is still in the key slot even though it is not. This basically makes my car unlockable from the outside without using the manual locking key.

I am intrigued by the previous post that states that there is a TSB out on resetting the locking mechanism in the key slot. Any chance that this TSB is available on the net some where?

Anyways - how did you end up fixing this problem?

Thank you

rjarin 01-09-2011 12:42 AM

I HAD this exact issue on my '09 TL w/Tech. Someone who got in the car just before I did stuck his finger in the Keyless Remote slot to try to start the car. I must have been close enough to the car for the slot to think that the Remote was actually in the slot. After arriving at the destination, and turning off the car with the push button, the car was beeping and the message "Remove Keyless Remote from Slot" appeared in the MID. At this point I was unable to lock the doors with the Remote or Lock button on the door handle.

After failing to find any specifics regarding TSB 08-053: Keyless Access Remote Doesn't Lock Into Its Slot and Won't Lock the Doors, I decided to see what I could do to save a trip to the dealer.

I was able to free the slot by doing the following:

First, push the start button without my foot off of the brake(I believe this is puts the car in accessory mode).

Next, push the start button again, still with my foot still off of the brake (This turns on Nav screen and other stuff). At this point I believe I also hear something in the Remote slot engaging.

Next, with foot still off of the brake, push the start button again to turn off the car. I again hear something in the Remote slot engaging or in this case probably disengaging and get the "Remove Keyless Remote from Slot" message in the MID.

At this point, I stuck both index fingers into the Remote slot. Reached behind the ears that hold the Remote in the slot and was able to pull the assembly forward about 1/2 inch.

Problem solved. Doors lock with Remote and the door lock button and the Keyless Remote engages in the slot correctly.

ChrisZDX 03-20-2011 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by rjarin (Post 12618306)
I HAD this exact issue on my '09 TL w/Tech. Someone who got in the car just before I did stuck his finger in the Keyless Remote slot to try to start the car. I must have been close enough to the car for the slot to think that the Remote was actually in the slot. After arriving at the destination, and turning off the car with the push button, the car was beeping and the message "Remove Keyless Remote from Slot" appeared in the MID. At this point I was unable to lock the doors with the Remote or Lock button on the door handle.

After failing to find any specifics regarding TSB 08-053: Keyless Access Remote Doesn't Lock Into Its Slot and Won't Lock the Doors, I decided to see what I could do to save a trip to the dealer.

First, push the start button without my foot off of the brake(I believe this is puts the car in accessory mode).

Next, push the start button again, still with my foot still off of the brake (This turns on Nav screen and other stuff). At this point I believe I also hear something in the Remote slot engaging.

Next, with foot still off of the brake, push the start button again to turn off the car. I again hear something in the Remote slot engaging or in this case probably disengaging and get the "Remove Keyless Remote from Slot" message in the MID.

At this point, I stuck both index fingers into the Remote slot. Reached behind the ears that hold the Remote in the slot and was able to pull the assembly forward about 1/2 inch.

Problem solved. Doors lock with Remote and the door lock button and the Keyless Remote engages in the slot correctly.

Just had the same problem with my ZDX, and this method also worked for me. Thanks so much!!

thanhnike 03-20-2011 09:17 PM

mine Tl is the same. when i pick the car from the dealer. the sell man put the remote in the slot. and he said when the car is in D. you cant pull the remote out. and he tried to pull it when it in D. and the remote came out. and he is like oh hoh.( he was suprised cause the remote came out). and then he says something but i didnt hear clearly.but he acted like oh that is the way they made like this

Roos 10-31-2011 11:38 PM

This worked with mine as well, saved me a trip.

thanks a bunch

ramramji 11-14-2012 10:13 AM

After doing all three steps suggested above on my 09 tl, back two plates in key slot never opened or were loose enogh to slide my index finger in. Car still detects key in slot and wont let me close doors even manualy tried but driver side always stays open. Suggestions

Mr Marco 11-14-2012 11:08 AM

Duct tape.

KGBhoy 06-04-2013 04:49 PM

The suggestions above helped, but if I put the key back in the slot, the same thing happens again. So looks like the only way to use the slot, is to manually disengage it every time. I am still under warranty, but wanted to save some time - do the steps above fix the problem permanently for everyone or not?

Hogan9166 06-04-2013 08:03 PM

Why do you all even put the key in the slot at all? Mine goes into my pocket in the morning and comes out at night.

Edward'TLS 06-04-2013 08:18 PM

^^^^^

Because with the keyless start system switched on, high-tech thieves can use long-range RF reader/repeater to gain access and to drive away your car, while you've parked the car and are walking away from it.

Remember that the key fob is constantly transmitting, even when it is put inside your pocket.

Hogan9166 06-05-2013 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS (Post 14514476)
^^^^^

Because with the keyless start system switched on, high-tech thieves can use long-range RF reader/repeater to gain access and to drive away your car, while you've parked the car and are walking away from it.

Remember that the key fob is constantly transmitting, even when it is put inside your pocket.

The convenience is worth more than worrying about whether I'm going to be targeted by a high tech car thief. If so, so be it. I'll be pissed and it will be an inconvenience, but that's why I have insurance.

LawnPro 06-05-2013 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hogan9166 (Post 14515270)
The convenience is worth more than worrying about whether I'm going to be targeted by a high tech car thief. If so, so be it. I'll be pissed and it will be an inconvenience, but that's why I have insurance.

^^^ I agree, my fob is in my pocket as well for the convenience of it. :thumbsup:

dwest1023 06-05-2013 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by LawnPro (Post 14515376)
^^^ I agree, my fob is in my pocket as well for the convenience of it. :thumbsup:

Same here. If some some professorial really wants your car, a flat bed defeats whatever you use.

Stew4HD 06-05-2013 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by dwest1023 (Post 14515928)
Same here. If some some professorial really wants your car, a flat bed defeats whatever you use.

and dollies for the SH-AWD models... the towing needed to use those when my car was broken into and ignition was disabled. in a parking garage that a tow truck would not fit into

Edward'TLS 06-05-2013 02:34 PM

I don't see how inconvenient it can be, simply by inserting the key fob in the slot, and removing it afterwards.

Having the car stolen is a big hassle. It's ok if the stolen car is never found, then the insurance company will pay you a new one.

The worse case is the insurance company giving you back the repaired car after thieves have been abusing and stripping aftermarket stuffs from the car. The recovered and repaired car will never feel right again.

emanon256 06-05-2013 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS (Post 14514476)

True, but for this to work the thief has to get a transponder within 2 feet of your key, and a second transponder within two feet of your door handle. This has only been done successfully when the transponders were hard wired, it has never been successfully done wirelessly as the radio delay is enough to prevent the rolling codes from matching. They then have to place their transponder in the vehicle, and start the car, while still keeping the other transponder near your pocket. They also have to know you have a smart key system in the first place.

If they manage to pull it off, once they drive it off, they can't start it again. So whats the point?

If they really wanted my car, wouldn't they just jump me and take my keys? Its much cheaper and easier and works for all cars, and they can start it again later.

The smart key was the main reason I went with the Technology package. I'm willing to take the risk.

Edward'TLS 06-05-2013 06:53 PM

^^^^^

High-tech car thieves are a lot smarter these days. What I said below has been reported numerous times all over the internet, starting a few years back.

Keyless entry key fobs are constantly transmitting RF signals in order to do "authentication" with the matching cars in range. The reason why the key fob only works when it is close enough to the car is that, the key fob can only transmits a weak RF signal.

High-tech car thieves don't record/copy the key fob RF signal, then play it back like back in the good old days. They simply amplifier the weak live-stream RF signal and thus extend the usable range of the key fobs. They fool the car into thinking the real key fob is right next to the car, even though the real one is far away and out of range.

It works like this.

After the driver parks his car, locks the doors, and starts walking away from the car. Once the driver is out of visual range, car thieves simply walk up to the car with their high-tech gadget.

The high-tech gadget has a very sensitive RF receiver. It picks up the weak RF signal emitted by the key fob that is carried inside the driver's pocket. It then retransmit the amplified key fob signal, at close proximity to the car.

Now the car thinks that it is the genuine key fob that is right next to it, and will allow the doors to be unlocked. There is no reason for the car to do otherwise, because after all, it is actually doing "authentication" with the "extended range" matched key fob, although the real key fob is far, far away from the car.

Once the thieves has gained access, they enter the car with their gadget. Now the car thinks the real key fob is inside the car, and will allow the car to be started and driven away. Once the car is started successfully, the thieves can turn off their gadget, since the engine will continue to run even if the real key fob is moved outside or out of range of the car.

It's perfectly ok for someone who is willing to take the risk. But for others, they don't find the same risk worth taking.

So some owners use the key slot, some don't. Everyone has his/her reasons to do so.

emanon256 06-05-2013 08:22 PM

^^^^^

Interesting, I had no clue it had gotten that advanced, last I read was about the wired systems. I didn't think about this, but I guess once they leave with the car, since its on, they can then pair anew key as well.

I'm still willing to risk it for the convenience factor. Like I said, that is the main reason for me getting the technology package.

Edward'TLS 06-06-2013 01:39 PM

Read this new thread, all about hacking keyless entry systems :

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-294/better-disable-your-keyless-remote-889217/

Edward'TLS 06-06-2013 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by emanon256 (Post 14516711)
^^^^^

Interesting, I had no clue it had gotten that advanced, last I read was about the wired systems. I didn't think about this, but I guess once they leave with the car, since its on, they can then pair anew key as well.

I'm still willing to risk it for the convenience factor. Like I said, that is the main reason for me getting the technology package.

One other option is to buy one of those RF shielded bags to store the key fob, to prevent RF signal from being emitted outside the shielding bag.

But this also creates inconvenience, because the driver will need to take the key fob out from the shielding bag to unlock and start the car, and will need to put the key fob back into the shielding bag after locked up the car.

cibiris 08-23-2013 12:40 AM

Thanks for your instructions !!!!

Dude, I just did your instructions after having this pain for about 2 months and not wanting to get ripped by the dealer, they wanted to charge $480 to replace the piece !!!! Thanks you , thank you thank you !!!!

PaulM 08-22-2017 12:42 PM

Acura TL - keyless access slot

Originally Posted by ChrisZDX (Post 12799203)
Just had the same problem with my ZDX, and this method also worked for me. Thanks so much!!

Thanks much for this fix - it worked for me as well! Dealer quoted me $446 to fix the slot - huge savings : )

ceyman 06-28-2018 01:58 PM

Thanks for this! My wife took my 2013 TL (SHAWD manual transmission) yesterday, and when she came back she said the car kept telling her to remove the fob, even though it was already out, and wouldn't let her lock it remotely. My first response was, "Why did you even take the key out of your purse?", but that is an argument we will never resolve. I was afraid she'd broken it. It was great to find this easy fix!

Kinuto 06-28-2018 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ceyman (Post 16256410)
Thanks for this! My wife took my 2013 TL (SHAWD manual transmission) yesterday, and when she came back she said the car kept telling her to remove the fob, even though it was already out, and wouldn't let her lock it remotely. My first response was, "Why did you even take the key out of your purse?", but that is an argument we will never resolve. I was afraid she'd broken it. It was great to find this easy fix!

If you ever need to replace the entire assembly I have a write up on here explaining how to do it. Pictures and all. Part number is 36990-TK4-A01 for the key fob slot.
https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...holder-966253/

ceyman 06-28-2018 03:01 PM

I may have convinced her never to do that again. I think I put my fob in there once, just to see if it fit. Since then it has lived in my pocket, and the plastic chrome looks it!

Kinuto 06-28-2018 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ceyman (Post 16256484)
I may have convinced her never to do that again. I think I put my fob in there once, just to see if it fit. Since then it has lived in my pocket, and the plastic chrome looks it!

Lucky for you two! lol I had to replace it since the non Acura dealer I bought the car from butchered the old key slot in attempt to fix it. It worked but my key slot was useless. Costed me $100 to replace myself.

Avri Adleman 10-05-2018 03:49 PM

Thanks a Bunch

That did the trick .... Thanks a Bunch!!!!! (minor note: you might want to reword: "start button without my foot off of the brake" to "start button with my foot off of the brake") BUT AGAIN THANKS!!!

Darsyd101 03-14-2019 12:26 PM

Key slot thinks key is in slot

​​​​

I had the same issue with my 09 Acura TL, until I saw this solution. Was a bit nervous at first but I was able to reset by inserting my 2 index fingers I the key slot thanks to your message. Very helpful, problem solved! Woohoo!

Mc Attraction Tv 10-21-2019 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisZDX (Post 12799203)

This worked for my ZDX. Thank you

spitfit 05-20-2022 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS (Post 14516572)
^^^^^

High-tech car thieves are a lot smarter these days. What I said below has been reported numerous times all over the internet, starting a few years back.

Keyless entry key fobs are constantly transmitting RF signals in order to do "authentication" with the matching cars in range. The reason why the key fob only works when it is close enough to the car is that, the key fob can only transmits a weak RF signal.

High-tech car thieves don't record/copy the key fob RF signal, then play it back like back in the good old days. They simply amplifier the weak live-stream RF signal and thus extend the usable range of the key fobs. They fool the car into thinking the real key fob is right next to the car, even though the real one is far away and out of range.

It works like this.

After the driver parks his car, locks the doors, and starts walking away from the car. Once the driver is out of visual range, car thieves simply walk up to the car with their high-tech gadget.

The high-tech gadget has a very sensitive RF receiver. It picks up the weak RF signal emitted by the key fob that is carried inside the driver's pocket. It then retransmit the amplified key fob signal, at close proximity to the car.

Now the car thinks that it is the genuine key fob that is right next to it, and will allow the doors to be unlocked. There is no reason for the car to do otherwise, because after all, it is actually doing "authentication" with the "extended range" matched key fob, although the real key fob is far, far away from the car.

Once the thieves has gained access, they enter the car with their gadget. Now the car thinks the real key fob is inside the car, and will allow the car to be started and driven away. Once the car is started successfully, the thieves can turn off their gadget, since the engine will continue to run even if the real key fob is moved outside or out of range of the car.

It's perfectly ok for someone who is willing to take the risk. But for others, they don't find the same risk worth taking.

So some owners use the key slot, some don't. Everyone has his/her reasons to do so.

This issue just started on my 2011 TL but is this a permanent fix? I've tried it and I have to manually pull the assembly forward every time I turn off the car. The assembly is not pulling forward when I remove the key, so I have to reset with my finger every time I drive. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or if the solution is to manually reset every time I drive. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

BeachTyme 07-17-2023 09:00 PM

Thank you for posting this, I just had to use this on my old ZDX that's still in the family. Worked like a charm and all the key FOBs now function as they should.

Now, if I can just figure out why the climate system doesn't illuminate, nor the back up camera works.... Both went out when the dealership replaced the Takata airbag on the recall years ago and claimed they didn't do it.