To K Tune or not To K Tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:01 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile To K Tune or not To K Tune

Hey guys,
I have a 012 tl sh-awd with 40,000 on it. I am putting a xlr8 v2 jpipe and exhaust on. I am debating on getting the K tune end user flash done. I have some questions. I know it hasn't been out for long and is it good for the engine (longevity) etc? My next question is xlr8 were I'm getting it done said they can't custom tune it there. He said I would definitely notice the difference with just the base map that comes with it without a custom tune. I know some custom tunes are $500 and xlr8 said the custom tune would make a little more hp and performance and most people just get stick with the base and they don't spend the 500 for a little more performance. I am just stating what I was told. My main concerns is the K tune good for the engine meaning it won't fuck it up in the long run and is it worth getting without a custom tune. If any one could she'd some insight it would be much appreciated. Thanks:
Old 04-17-2016, 04:00 AM
10th Gear

Thanks

I'm new to this site and I am not sure I posted my question in the right place but not one person here could respond helping me out with telling me the right place to post it or respond with their thoughts.

Thanks for the insight and help, two of the things out of many that is the reason this site exists. Maybe I should of posted were to find a red acura emblem or custom floor matts or headlights or valve stems etc. or a dragon sticker for the hood.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:26 AM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
I have the icebox, lightweight crankshaft pulley, HFPC, j-pipe, and XLR8 exhaust. Just got dyno tuned with Ktuner last week and no problems so far.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:01 AM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
First time seeing your post,i am not as active here as i used to be.

In case you missed it there is 12 pages of info about the K Tuner on this link

https://acurazine.com/forums/perform...-4g-tl-931839/

Some other info based on my personal experience with the K Tuner......I have pretty much all the available bolt on mods and am running a custom tune by TurboGixxer.I love what the K Tuner with the custom tune has done for the car. The base map is very conservative and a custom tune will bring out the full potential of all the mods you install.

A custom tune is only as good as your tuner and yes, the potential for damage is there in the hands of an inexperienced or incapable tuner. I would suggest you research the shop that will tune the car or at least contact James @K Tuner for a list of approved tuners.

I ran the K Tuner all of last Summer and have had zero issues, looking at the progress of the tune ( I did an E Tune ) as I did all the logs ,it just got better and better with each update.

Ultimately, it is up to you to decide if it is worth it or not to do a custom tune. For me, it is the best thing that I did, having the peace of mind that all my mods are working in harmony and the engine parameters are all within the range that they should be is comforting.

If you need any additional info let me know.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:02 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Nitin
I have the icebox, lightweight crankshaft pulley, HFPC, j-pipe, and XLR8 exhaust. Just got dyno tuned with Ktuner last week and no problems so far.
Thank you man,
Is it your daily driver? Do you know anybody that has had the K tune since it has been out?
Old 04-17-2016, 09:23 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by KarKraze
First time seeing your post,i am not as active here as i used to be.

In case you missed it there is 12 pages of info about the K Tuner on this link

https://acurazine.com/forums/perform...-4g-tl-931839/

Some other info based on my personal experience with the K Tuner......I have pretty much all the available bolt on mods and am running a custom tune by TurboGixxer.I love what the K Tuner with the custom tune has done for the car. The base map is very conservative and a custom tune will bring out the full potential of all the mods you install.

A custom tune is only as good as your tuner and yes, the potential for damage is there in the hands of an inexperienced or incapable tuner. I would suggest you research the shop that will tune the car or at least contact James @K Tuner for a list of approved tuners.

I ran the K Tuner all of last Summer and have had zero issues, looking at the progress of the tune ( I did an E Tune ) as I did all the logs ,it just got better and better with each update.

Ultimately, it is up to you to decide if it is worth it or not to do a custom tune. For me, it is the best thing that I did, having the peace of mind that all my mods are working in harmony and the engine parameters are all within the range that they should be is comforting.

If you need any additional info let me know.
Thank you!
I don't drive my tl everyday but in a few years from now I might. I just don't want to do something that is going to hurt the engine etc. Plus I still have like 30,000 miles left on the power train warranty. I'm pretty sure the ktune would void the warranty.

I'm new to this whole tuning thing. I just know that xlr8 has a great exhaust package and when I called them they told me about the ktune. The guy at xlr8 said the custom tune will be more aggressive and etc but not that much more.

Thanks again
Old 04-17-2016, 09:38 AM
Drifting

You are welcome, I use my car in the Summer only, stored in the Winter.

If you are only going to an Exhaust then you will not see much benefit from a tune. If you plan on doing additional bolt on's, especially an intake then I would suggest a custom tune. Aftermarket intakes are known to throw off air/ fuel ratio by quite a bit sometimes enough to throw a rich code.

Custom tune will also address the throttle lag that you experience with the Drive By Wire system in our cars making it feel much more responsive.

Last edited by KarKraze; 04-17-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:50 AM
10th Gear

You are welcome, I use my car in the Summer only, stored in the Winter.

If you are only going to an Exhaust then you will not see much benefit from a tune. If you plan on doing additional bolt on's, especially an intake then I would suggest a custom tune. Aftermarket intakes are known to throw off air/ fuel ratio by quite a bit sometimes enough to throw a rich code.

Custom tune will also address the throttle lag that you experience with the Drive By Wire system in our cars making it feel much more responsive.
I plan on getting the xlr8 exhaust and J-Pipe. They said I would notice more performance
With just the base map and it most likely would be safer in the long run. I am by no means going to be racing etc, but I wouldn't mind some more performance and quality noise
Old 04-17-2016, 10:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hammer Time
I plan on getting the xlr8 exhaust and J-Pipe. They said I would notice more performance
With just the base map and it most likely would be safer in the long run. I am by no means going to be racing etc, but I wouldn't mind some more performance and quality noise
J Pipe and Exhaust will provide some gains. The increased noise will add some illusion . As mentioned the base map will also add some gains but is conservative and it does not mean that air / fuel / timing etc. will all be optimal.

Those things can be off but within tolerance of the ECU so no codes will be thrown. Optimal performance will come with a custom tune and is best left until all your mods are done, otherwise you will be paying more than once for tuning.

If you do end up getting the K Tuner you will have to re flash to the Factory Tune before doing any warranty work. It is supposed to be untraceable but I cannot confirm that 100%.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:27 PM
10th Gear

J Pipe and Exhaust will provide some gains. The increased noise will add some illusion . As mentioned the base map will also add some gains but is conservative and it does not mean that air / fuel / timing etc. will all be optimal.

Those things can be off but within tolerance of the ECU so no codes will be thrown. Optimal performance will come with a custom tune and is best left until all your mods are done, otherwise you will be paying more than once for tuning.

If you do end up getting the K Tuner you will have to re flash to the Factory Tune before doing any warranty work. It is supposed to be untraceable but I cannot confirm that 100%.
Thanks a lot man I appreciate it
Old 04-17-2016, 03:03 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer Time
Thank you man, Is it your daily driver? Do you know anybody that has had the K tune since it has been out?
Yea, it's my daily driver and a lot of other pepple here are using Ktuner. Get a custom tune and you'll have norhing to worry about.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:51 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Nitin
Yea, it's my daily driver and a lot of other pepple here are using Ktuner. Get a custom tune and you'll have norhing to worry about.
Thanks man. So if I just stay with the base map that will or has the potential to be harmful but if I get the custom tune in will be ok.? Xlr8 on the phone said it was the other way around
Old 04-24-2016, 03:54 AM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
I have it as well and my car has been a to the gym and weekend joy ride since it got warm. I am on the base maps as well, BUT to feel the full potential would get the PCD or HFC before getting a custom tune. Would it mess anything up? I don't think so. Have tune past cars in the past and the reason for tuning is to help run the car efficiently. I know on other platforms for Honda you just tune a stock engine with hondata or ktuner get automatic 20whp. for out cars it smooth out power thur the power train.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD
I have it as well and my car has been a to the gym and weekend joy ride since it got warm. I am on the base maps as well, BUT to feel the full potential would get the PCD or HFC before getting a custom tune. Would it mess anything up? I don't think so. Have tune past cars in the past and the reason for tuning is to help run the car efficiently. I know on other platforms for Honda you just tune a stock engine with hondata or ktuner get automatic 20whp. for out cars it smooth out power thur the power train.
I had hondata flashpro on my civic Si and did an E-Tune, the biggest concern is proper air/fuel ratios. The base tune will likely be fine, but i'd strongly recommend doing a custom tune. How aggressive the tune is a decision you make with the tuner.