4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just replaced my sparkplugs at 100,000 miles, you probably should too.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Just replaced my sparkplugs at 100,000 miles, you probably should too.

I won't get into the specifics with a step-by-step approach to changing your spark plugs, but I did want to show you guys my old plugs before I threw them away. I also wanted to comment that for the past ~20,000+ miles, the car seemed somewhat lethargic. Part of that might have been because I had to remove my J-Pipe and put back on the stock one (after the Xcelerate one developed a hole in the flex pipe). But in early August, I got the J-Pipe welded to my old third-cat delete pipe (now I have a v2!) and I was still feeling like the car had a lot of dips in the powerband and was especially slow off the line in normal driving.

Well, seeing as how I'm so close to the big 105,000 mile service, I decided to replace the sparkplugs by myself. My local Acura dealer was going to charge $19.99 per plug and a reputable online Acura parts seller was selling them for $14.28, but Amazon ended up having the cheapest price at around $12.50 per plug.

Two hot tips to changing the plugs: #1, you absolutely have to remove the strut tower bar and #2, make sure you have two 3" or 4" extensions for your ratchet, because you can't use one long one, the firewall will get in your way.

A quick analysis of the plugs shows that the front bank of cylinders showed that the cylinder that was furthest from the throttle body to be the "sootiest" while the opposite was true for the rear bank of cylinders. Overall, none of the plugs gave me reason to worry that I was burning excessive amounts of oil or anything.

Overall, I would say that if you can, you should replace your plugs at around the 75,000 mile mark, or maybe even 50,000 mile mark? The reason I say this is because I was amazed at how much smoothness came back to my driving experience after replacing the plugs. The slight "jerk" that came between switching gears and accelerating again is eliminated, the slow get-up-and-go response from a stop or just rolling start is now gone and even the smoothness of the engine when I'm in a gear that is too high for the current speed (35mph in 6th gear for instance) is now apparent when before it felt like the engine felt extremely coarse if I didn't have it in the exact gear for that particular speed.

Save yourself the money and do this one by yourself, you'll be glad you did!

Name:  20151010_141716_zpsqi1c5pkx.jpg
Views: 11992
Size:  353.0 KB

Name:  20151011_080528_zpsdzhpfoh4.jpg
Views: 11559
Size:  117.0 KB
Old 10-16-2015, 09:04 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Thanks for posting. The tips look a little worn, but the plugs are otherwise pretty clean and in good condition.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for posting. Based on the recommendation and to be proactive, I'll replace at 50K miles. Did you use any type of thread compound?
Old 10-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
with coupons you can get the plugs from autozone for $7 for the NGK Irdium.

I changed out the plugs at 97K on my 3G J32 TL and they looked pretty close to yours. They can easily last the 105K and are a cheap replacement. Be sure to use anti-seize and also make sure that you are torquing the plugs properly to the right value.

The #5 plug likes to back out and cause a lot of damage over time so PLEASE double check it!

I Check the torque on the plugs every 30-35K to make sure they are good.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
NGK recommends NOT to use anti-seize.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/dyk_5points.pdf
http://jenniskens.livedsl.nl/Technic...1antisieze.pdf
It's because the treads are plated and do not gall or seize.
If you look closely at the old plugs in this post they do not have anti-seize residue.
The following 2 users liked this post by Reorge:
echodigital (06-06-2018), jim_c (10-17-2015)
Old 10-17-2015, 09:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
I posted about this a while ago also.
Very easy change. I am very skeptical about all the "improvements" associated with a simple plug change. I know folks who have driven for ten years on the same plugs and never noticed any issues.
I'm not recommending it, I am a fussbudget about regular maintenance.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:19 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
I actually did use anti-seize on the new plugs, I guess it's something I just have always done. I don't think that it's going to hurt anything.

By the way, the very last picture with all 6 plugs... I placed them that way to represent the order I took them out of the engine, so just imagine opening the hood and looking straight down at the engine, that is how I've positioned the plugs.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:02 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Good to know, thanks for posting this..
Old 10-19-2015, 02:29 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
A couple more DIY tips: 1. don't throw the new plugs in the hole, lower them slowly by attaching them to a tube... if the tip bends you'll lever know it! 2. When you remove the old ones make sure the washer comes out with the plug... otherwise the new one will have 2 washers on it (not good!).

PS. OP pics, they look like mine when they came out at the same mileage. No issues.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:06 PM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
I'd add the anti-seize as well. Overall those plugs don't look so bad so I'm surprised you saw such an improvement. Either way, good deal. Keep on truckin
Old 10-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by prepreludesh
I actually did use anti-seize on the new plugs, I guess it's something I just have always done. I don't think that it's going to hurt anything.
Probably not. I use it till a few years ago when I read the NGK recommendation. They will be a little more difficult to remove next time. Unscrew them slowly. They will feel gummed up (they actually are from the dried up anti-seize).

Thanks for sharing your experience. I would not think to change them if I ever had issues because I have never had plug problems on a H/A J engine. I've only changed them at the recommended mileage. Now I know it fixed an issue you had and I'll keep it in mind.

Last edited by Reorge; 10-19-2015 at 08:55 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 10-20-2015, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
i did the 105k service at 99k miles and the car feels fantastic. also got a new trans put in at the same time, car feels brand new.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
What is the proper torque for 4L 3.5 spark plugs. I'm doing as swap next weekend ahead of my timing belt service.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:14 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13 lbs-ft
Old 06-04-2017, 01:02 AM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
2009TL Spark plugs are around 22 N—m (16lb-ft) .
There is manual with all the torque specs on the board somewhere. I taped most specs inside my toolbox and phone
Old 06-05-2018, 05:00 PM
Greg

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I had my dealer change my plugs, water pump, tensioner, and belt at 98,000. I really didn't notice a significant decline in performance leading up to the change, but it really runs strong with the new plugs. I would suggest if you are north of 80k on original plugs, you'll feel the difference.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Changing plugs didn't seem to make a noticeable difference with my 3G or 4G TL. I've usually changed them between 50K-75K miles or so. Even though I haven't noticed a night and day difference, I place it in the category of "relatively cheap" maintenance and/or repair items that keeps the car tuned up and running well without breaking the bank. I know that replacing parts for its own sake is silly sometimes, but if the parts are cheap I think it's worth it to keep the car running like it's newer. I think keeping things tuned up even though parts haven't completely worn out yet is prudent if it improves economy, power or longevity of other parts (e.g. ignition parts keeping your catalytic converters from overheating due to a rich fuel/air mixture).

For example, I have 160K miles now and recently replaced the upper control arms, sway bar links and mounts, outer tie rods, motor and transmission mounts and shock assemblies (all suspension parts on the front end only). Total cost was around $600. I did notice a difference with those since all of them were 6 years and 160K miles old and one of the control arm bushings was shot, which was the original reason for the replacements due to the "clunking". But it still wasn't a total night and day difference. But for $600, not having to worry about that stuff for at least another 100K, and the car feeling like I just drove it off the lot - I'd consider it money well spent.

When it comes to the engine, things like spark plugs, a clean throttle body butterfly valve, properly functioning MAF and O2 sensors and carbon removal goes a long way in helping fuel economy and a smooth idle. Again, all that stuff would probably run $200 or so but I'd consider it money well spent. That cost would be assuming replacement of the upper fuel/air ratio O2 sensors, some fuel and cylinder cleaner and spark plugs.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Greg

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
and one of the control arm bushings was shot, which was the original reason for the replacements due to the "clunking". .
At the risk of high-jacking this thread, was the bad control arm bushing on the 4G? I have a 'clunk' coming from my front suspension. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:20 AM
Drifting

Yeah, it was on the passenger side of my 4G. The middle bushing of the top control arm that connects to the knuckle. Just a little bit of play. But the drivers side had none. Once I replaced it, the clunking went away.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:28 PM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
Changing plugs didn't seem to make a noticeable difference with my 3G or 4G TL. I've usually changed them between 50K-75K miles or so. Even though I haven't noticed a night and day difference, I place it in the category of "relatively cheap" maintenance and/or repair items that keeps the car tuned up and running well without breaking the bank. I know that replacing parts for its own sake is silly sometimes, but if the parts are cheap I think it's worth it to keep the car running like it's newer. I think keeping things tuned up even though parts haven't completely worn out yet is prudent if it improves economy, power or longevity of other parts (e.g. ignition parts keeping your catalytic converters from overheating due to a rich fuel/air mixture).

For example, I have 160K miles now and recently replaced the upper control arms, sway bar links and mounts, outer tie rods, motor and transmission mounts and shock assemblies (all suspension parts on the front end only). Total cost was around $600. I did notice a difference with those since all of them were 6 years and 160K miles old and one of the control arm bushings was shot, which was the original reason for the replacements due to the "clunking". But it still wasn't a total night and day difference. But for $600, not having to worry about that stuff for at least another 100K, and the car feeling like I just drove it off the lot - I'd consider it money well spent.

When it comes to the engine, things like spark plugs, a clean throttle body butterfly valve, properly functioning MAF and O2 sensors and carbon removal goes a long way in helping fuel economy and a smooth idle. Again, all that stuff would probably run $200 or so but I'd consider it money well spent. That cost would be assuming replacement of the upper fuel/air ratio O2 sensors, some fuel and cylinder cleaner and spark plugs.
I'm not sure what year your 4G is, or FWD or AWD. But I looked up parts costs at acuraoemparts.com for my car. Just the shock assemblies and motor mounts were close to $1K - I didn't bother looking for the upper arms or tie rods or links. So where did you buy all those parts for $600? And the costs you list for the replacements of course don't include labor charges. Not all owners are DIYers so labor charges would significantly increase the cost. So yes, for someone like you who can apparently find cheaper parts than Acura OEM and has the tools, space, and time to do the replacement him/her self, doing those repairs before they are actually needed may provide peace of mind. But for the rest of us, paying someone to do the work is very pricey, so won't likely be getting done until a part goes bad and compromises safety or proper operation of the car, or makes a noise that's too annoying to ignore.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:10 AM
Drifting

Shock assemblies were $161 each from AcuraOEMparts.com. The front upper control arms, sway bar end links and outer tie rods we're $49, $17 and $20 respectively. The transmission and motor mounts came to about $130 total (all changed accept the rear motor mount - that one's a beast...). There were some odds and ends like sway bar bushings and some fasteners which ran another $20 or so. Plus shipping costs brought me closer to $700 now that I'm adding it all up. Note that all parts except the shock assemblies came from Rockauto. And all we're premium or pro line like Mevotech Supreme and Moog K series.

I totally agree that with labor, it probably wouldn't be a wise idea. Part of my rationale was due to wanting to keep the car for a very long time as well as having the cash and time available to do the work right then. Also, my experience with my vehicles in the past has been that a suspension tuneup after about 150k-200k miles makes a big difference. This is because suspension parts tend to wear out slowly, making it difficult to tell a difference between new and old. But if I had to pay for labor, which would have cost at least as much as the parts themselves, or I didn't plan on keeping the car until the wheels fell off, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

In general, throwing parts that aren't bad at a car is kind of dumb. I just use suspension parts a little differently. Most suspension parts never really go "bad", they just get old and worn. As far as safety is concerned, none of these except maybe the upper control arm really needed to be replaced. In this case I'd consider those Replacements more of a luxury than a necessity. I wouldn't necessarily recommend to someone else to have that work done. But coming back to the spark plug issue; sometimes replacing them a bit early isn't a half bad investment since you can get the plugs for a reasonable price and even a slight increase in power or economy may be worth it. But by no means is it a critical maintenance item. Nothing like changing oil for example.

Last edited by losiglow; 06-08-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Hey, losiglow, I agree wholeheartedly, with your maintenance philosophy. There is something to be said, for keeping your ride, performing like new. Both the psychological, and physical satisfaction, of knowing everything is (TIGHT), is very rewarding,in my mind, and certainly contributes to overall motoring pleasure.