Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jump Started with Car On

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 07:37 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Jump Started with Car On

Well as the title states today one of my co workers with a 2015 VW Jetta had a dead battery so me having a set of jumper cables I decided to give her a jump. I did the whole process correctly starting with connecting the positive cable and grounding the negative cable on her car’s frame. Her car started right up after 2 tries with the key in the ignition. After all was said and done she drove off to get a new battery and me being a fool I realized I mounted the jumper cables on my car with it still running. Is my alternator screwed? Everything in the car is working fine electrical wise.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:17 AM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You're probably ok. I can't find anything conclusive one way or the other, just random anecdotes.

It's probably more of a belt-and-suspenders thing. In a perfect universe, when you jump-start somebody's car, they're just borrowing you battery for a second - it wouldn't matter if your car was off or not. But in the real world, the car being jumped might have shorts, a damaged battery, or other goofy electrical issues that could damage your battery or alternator system (no good deed...) - having everything off would help prevent that.

For many years, I've carried a rechargeable backup battery jump-starter doodad in my trunk, both for my own use and to help others without having to hook up my car to anybody else's. (In fact. it's old enough I should probably replace it...)
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
some pretty cool lithium-ion battery pack chargers on the market recently!
Charge everyones phones while jump starting the car!! lol
The following users liked this post:
dv- (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Pro

That makes a lot of sense. I was worried cause of all the electronics in the Technology Package but since you explained everything I can now rest peacefully knowing that my car is fine. Next time I give a jump I’ll be sure to leave my car off. It’s just the heat of the moment that you forget the critical things. Luckily for me her car was a newer model VW Jetta and her battery was original. Thanks for the swift replies everyone!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Personally, I would never jump start someone else's car if my engine were NOT running.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SoftwareDrone
Personally, I would never jump start someone else's car if my engine were NOT running.
Why is that? With my older cars I would always leave the car running when jump starting but I’m more careful with the TL cause of all the gadgets.

Last edited by Kinuto; 08-22-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Advanced

If you have your car running, and especially if you keep the engine revved up (not too high but maybe three grand), the load is not nearly as much of a shock to the electrical system because the alternator is spinning fast enough to supply the energy needed.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:41 PM
Pro

If you have your car running, and especially if you keep the engine revved up (not too high but maybe three grand), the load is not nearly as much of a shock to the electrical system because the alternator is spinning fast enough to supply the energy needed.
That makes a lot of sense. I see why some people rev the engine when jump starting another vehicle. I heard a lot of myths about jump starting, especially from co workers. Claims that their alternator went or they fried the cars ECU. Funny thing when I had a 1997 Nissan Maxima I gave a jump to a guy with a 2010 Infiniti G35 well the fool connected the positive on the negative terminals while I had just finished mounting them on my maxima which made his terminals spark like crazy. After I yelled at him and had him put them in the proper order I then jump started his car and he drove off. I wonder whatever electrical problems that car had afterwards. My maxima was fine battery and alternator, no electrical issues whatsoever.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
some pretty cool lithium-ion battery pack chargers on the market recently!
Charge everyones phones while jump starting the car!! lol
Lol I’m sure all my co workers would gather around me if I had one of those.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:16 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinuto
Well as the title states today one of my co workers with a 2015 VW Jetta had a dead battery so me having a set of jumper cables I decided to give her a jump. I did the whole process correctly starting with connecting the positive cable and grounding the negative cable on her car’s frame. Her car started right up after 2 tries with the key in the ignition. After all was said and done she drove off to get a new battery and me being a fool I realized I mounted the jumper cables on my car with it still running. Is my alternator screwed? Everything in the car is working fine electrical wise.
Over my driving life of 45+ years I've probably jump started 100 cars; I've literally ALWAYS connected the jumper cables with the engine running. Not that I've ever checked, but I don't believe I've seen a directive to do otherwise.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Over my driving life of 45+ years I've probably jump started 100 cars; I've literally ALWAYS connected the jumper cables with the engine running. Not that I've ever checked, but I don't believe I've seen a directive to do otherwise.
Wow so I guess I have nothing to worry about then! A lot of the instructions online state to shut the donor car off before connecting the cables and then restarting it. They all state major damage to Newer vehicles cause of all the technology and electronics, basically avoid giving boost to other cars. But funny thing is the owners manual says it’s safe and even shows a diagram how to do so.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:23 PM
Pro

Old 08-23-2018, 10:15 AM
Advanced

I actually have two $1,100.00 lithium ion batteries in my Ferrari in addition to a standard lead acid battery. They are used primarily for my monster 3000 Watt sound system, but if I go out of town on business for a few weeks, I'll flip a toggle switch to engage the two LiOn batteries before I hit the ignition and the car fires right up with authority. In a sense, this is like jump starting the car.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
I actually have two $1,100.00 lithium ion batteries in my Ferrari in addition to a standard lead acid battery. They are used primarily for my monster 3000 Watt sound system, but if I go out of town on business for a few weeks, I'll flip a toggle switch to engage the two LiOn batteries before I hit the ignition and the car fires right up with authority. In a sense, this is like jump starting the car.

I have a battery tender that costs less

awesome ride though
Old 08-23-2018, 12:48 PM
Pro

Interesting how that works. I’m sure that Ferrari is fast as a rocket! What made you interested in the 4G TL?
Old 08-23-2018, 12:58 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Hmmm, a 3,000 Watt aftermarket sound system seems more than a bit redundant; to my ear at least, the symphony emanating from the engine bay is way more pleasing than an aftermarket sound system of any power.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kinuto
Interesting how that works. I’m sure that Ferrari is fast as a rocket! What made you interested in the 4G TL?
I had a 2007 Kinetic Blue Pearl TL Type-S for many years. One time when I had it in the shop for a service, they gave me a SH-AWD as a loaner for two days. I fell in love with the car. I really didn't like the looks but it was a total drivers car. So when the Type-S odometer passed 180K miles, it was time to replace it with something, and by that time, the look of the SH-AWD had grown on me, especially after seeing pictures on this site with the horrid grills painted the body color.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Hmmm, a 3,000 Watt aftermarket sound system seems more than a bit redundant; to my ear at least, the symphony emanating from the engine bay is way more pleasing than an aftermarket sound system of any power.
I own a high end car audio company that caters to Ferraris only, so of course I must have the most monster car audio system in my car for shows, demos, etc.
At my age, I prefer to listen to only one 8" subwoofer. At a show, I wear hearing protection and fire all ten 8" subs. The ground literally shakes.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:40 PM
Pro

Wow that’s impressive! I can imagine the power of that bass. I used to have 2 Kenwood 12’s in my 2007 Honda Civic Coupe it felt like the car was gonna rip apart from the force of the bass. The 4G TL is a very beautiful car! I’m pretty sure back in 09 it was very futuristic looking compared to all the other cars in the market. I always wanted a Type S but even today people still want a fortune for one.