4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interesting conversation with my dealler about grill...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure that even looks any better. I've seen the grill fully painted. I think that looks better than this idea
Old 08-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I thought it was. Some people may like it silver, some may like it half painted some may like it fully painted. I think it's too subjective to be considered a design snafu.

I think if I were in the market for one I'd pay to have it come from factory like that...rather than risk a body shop that sucks painting it.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Interesting point made by Acura's Executive Vice President John Mendel when commenting on the ZDX. "This isn't the old Acura way of 'Honda Plus' ".
Old 08-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Interesting point made by Acura's Executive Vice President John Mendel when commenting on the ZDX. "This isn't the old Acura way of 'Honda Plus' ".
Indeed, I must say I agree with him as the ZDX isn't like anything in the Honda lineup!

I'm happy to see Acura introducing more unique design, chassis, etc., even if they are not super commercially successful. There is a first step to any project, no?

Who knows? Maybe in a not-so-distant future, Acura will become a leader in entry-level luxury sport sedans (oh...and fuel-efficient cars, don't forget that ). I would like to see that!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:02 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by 1075
^^^ No way I would pay additional money for an "option" to correct an Acura design team snafu.
+1

Hypothetically speaking of course, if other "design snafus" were present, would we have to pay even more to have those painted? A total money making scheme.

I would negotiate the paint to be a throw-in... Now where are those 2010 TLs?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Go Big Blue!

It's not a design flaw to Acura. They wanted it exactly that way (for some reason)
Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Olu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting tired of statements like this. If the grille is a deal breaker for you then don't buy the friggin car. I like the grille. Could it be better? Yes but one minute driving the car and the grille is a distant memory. I also think the rest of the lines on this car are incredibly sleek and sexy. I think the TSX grille would have been perfect and if it came in AWD I may have looked at it.

Not sure what not being Honda Plus means. It would be corporate suicide to develop two distinct platforms for Honda and Acura. If memory serves there will be a Honda version of the ZDX so I'm not sure what you'd call that, Acura minus perhaps?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Olu
I'm getting tired of statements like this. If the grille is a deal breaker for you then don't buy the friggin car. I like the grille. Could it be better? Yes but one minute driving the car and the grille is a distant memory. I also think the rest of the lines on this car are incredibly sleek and sexy. I think the TSX grille would have been perfect and if it came in AWD I may have looked at it.

Not sure what not being Honda Plus means. It would be corporate suicide to develop two distinct platforms for Honda and Acura. If memory serves there will be a Honda version of the ZDX so I'm not sure what you'd call that, Acura minus perhaps?

Absolutely 100% Agree!
Old 08-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by Olu

Acuras of yore were known for simply being glorified Hondas. Not many people knew that Infiniti was a division of Nissan, and less people knew that Lexus was a division of Toyota, but everyone knew Acura was a division of Honda.

Acuras are now becoming more differentiated from their Honda counterparts. Compare the 1999 TL and the 1999 Accord V6. The TL just looked a little bit better, was a little bit cushier, and was a little bit faster. Peel away the skin, however, and it's an Accord.

the 2009 TL and 2009 Accord are indeed still similar, but are also much differentiated. No one could ever mistake a TL for an Accord today.

The average person would be surprised to find out that the Lexus ES and RX are based on the Camry, or that the EX and the G have the same platform as a 350Z.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Olu
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMAN1
Acuras of yore were known for simply being glorified Hondas. Not many people knew that Infiniti was a division of Nissan, and less people knew that Lexus was a division of Toyota, but everyone knew Acura was a division of Honda.

Acuras are now becoming more differentiated from their Honda counterparts. Compare the 1999 TL and the 1999 Accord V6. The TL just looked a little bit better, was a little bit cushier, and was a little bit faster. Peel away the skin, however, and it's an Accord.

the 2009 TL and 2009 Accord are indeed still similar, but are also much differentiated. No one could ever mistake a TL for an Accord today.

The average person would be surprised to find out that the Lexus ES and RX are based on the Camry, or that the EX and the G have the same platform as a 350Z.
and if were dealing with your average consumer then I would understand. However statements are being made by "enthusiasts" on a car forum. Platform sharing has been going on for quite sometime. With the introduction of AWD to the TL Acura us on the way to perfecting differentiation from Honda's offerings.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Olu
If the TSX came with a 305 hp v6 and AWD that's what I would be driving right now I think.

On topic: I agree with you and Acura must put valiant efforts to create a "customer state-of-mind" where everybody thinks Acura and Honda are differents. It'll be easier to merge in the luxury market and charge a premium price that way IMHO.

As for the whole grille thing, I agree with you 100 %: if you don't like it, don't buy it and don't come to forums complaining endlessly about how bad it looks (in your eyes).

Sharing the same chassis is not a bad thing and the 09 TL now proves you can have the same chassis but a radically different exterior design.

I, for one, love the car looks but if most ppl don't like it, I can see why Acura would change it.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Racer

There is not enough sheet metal for someone to think that the Acura lineup is anything but a expensive Honda. There is nothing wrong with that. Honda has more than made a name for itself.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Olu
and if were dealing with your average consumer then I would understand. However statements are being made by "enthusiasts" on a car forum. Platform sharing has been going on for quite sometime. With the introduction of AWD to the TL Acura us on the way to perfecting differentiation from Honda's offerings.

Dont be surprised to see the AWD in the honda lineup
Old 08-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DeMAN
While it make senses to add AWD to the Honda Lineup, if it's done, what will justify the premium you pay to get an Acura over, say a V6 Accord coupe with AWD? I don't think that would be good for Acura sales...lol
Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Olu
Instructor

Originally Posted by DeMAN
I'd be pretty surprised if AWD made it to Honda. Especially considering the Pilot in it's 3rd generation still has a basic 4WD system.

If they do add SH-AWD to Honda, they can kiss Acura goodbye unless they add significant power plant options (ie V8, forced induction V6)
Old 08-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

You never know.....Honda may add AWD option to the Accord to set it apart from Toyota, Hyundai, and GM family sedans. If they do add it, it will probably be a very basic AWD set-up and not the SH-AWD from Acura. Realistically, however, I think hybrid technology is where it's hot right now and AWD is only going to add weight and hurt fuel economy. I really think the 5G TL will have a hybrid variation also.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Racer

I stopped in to the dealership where I bought my TL today and the guy who sold it to me said that Acura is going to "tone down" the grille on the TL next year (not sure if he meant the '10 or '11 models). He said it would be more like the grille on the TSX, I assume something like the photoshop in earlier threads.

As far as voicing my dislike about the grille on the '09, I make no apologies. This is a car forum, it's about exchanging information, ideas and opinions about cars. As long as it's done in a respectful manner and in accordance with forum rules, I'm free to express my opinion. This IS a thread about the '09 grille, if you can't handle the discussion move on. Apparently there are many who agree with me on the grille. The salesperson at my dealership acknowledged that it has generated a lot of negative reaction. That particular dealership only parks light colored TL's out front, and they angle them so that the front end is away from oncoming traffic.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I completely disagree and the dislikes about the grill are never going to go away because it is ugly, most of the owners here just tend to overlook it.
Ronjon will sell hundreds of his new grill for this very reason and most of you will buy it and for good reason.
I've driven the car, both models and it is a great vehicle and a great value, I just can't get over the beak.
Now that we have some options for the grill I may rethink my decision but I guarantee you Acura will change this grill before going to the next design.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Olu
Instructor

Okay I had a long response written out but for the sake of 'minimizing conflict' I'll say these things.

1) The 4g is attracting a different market to Acura. I never considered the 2g or 3g TLs because of their (IMHO) bland styling.

2) I see more 4g TLs every day.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Agree, don't buy the car and please move on, have a nice day. In the begining opinions were welcomed but at this point let's just say "your lose" and others say "what an ugly grill" but to keep posting about it here in a 4g community it's as if someone cannot own this car becuase a few dislike it. It's old news get over it.

Acura is now offering a dark chrome style grill as an accessory for 2010, it's the same thing but now it's toned down especially on contrasting colors. It's an Acura product with a warranty and cheaper than many alternate grills. If that is still not enough the CT engineering carbon fiber overlay is still another option, you can see it and read about it in the photo gallery. Considering all these and many other available options, I don't see any reason for anybody to say I am not buying the car strictly because of the grill. It's a good deal from the start with good discounts and incentives so one can afford to shell out a few hundred more.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Olu
Okay I had a long response written out but for the sake of 'minimizing conflict' I'll say these things.

1) The 4g is attracting a different market to Acura. I never considered the 2g or 3g TLs because of their (IMHO) bland styling.

2) I see more 4g TLs every day.
This. While some 3G/2G owners will like the 4G, they're obviously targeting a different market.

I'm also seeing more 4G TLs. I expected it to be a more rare car for longer, but people are buying them up.

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Agree, don't buy the car and please move on, have a nice day.
This, if the "grill is a deal killer," then what exactly are you trying to prove? Are you trying to insult people who've purchased it, or are you just talking to yourself to reaffirm you're own decision in front of others? Thanks for the trolling attempt, you can move along now.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 AM

3G styling was bland?

Hmmm...I don't know...then again the first time I saw it was when i walked into the dealership and saw an aspec one and I fell in love from that moment on.

It's the one I own now. The 4G is catering to the crowd of people that like the styling of the 4G. I wouldn't NOT get the car because of the grill, that's for sure. There was a time when I thought the TSX grill was huge and now I'm used to it. As time passes I'm getting used to the TL one too. It's a sleek aggressive and a different looking car and I would applaud that.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by rockstar143
3G styling was bland?

Hmmm...I don't know...then again the first time I saw it was when i walked into the dealership and saw an aspec one and I fell in love from that moment on.

It's the one I own now. The 4G is catering to the crowd of people that like the styling of the 4G. I wouldn't NOT get the car because of the grill, that's for sure. There was a time when I thought the TSX grill was huge and now I'm used to it. As time passes I'm getting used to the TL one too. It's a sleek aggressive and a different looking car and I would applaud that.
we need more open-minded people like you on this planet.

Glad to have you aboard!
-YetiTL
Old 08-27-2009, 10:27 AM

Thanks man...I'm a work in progress but keeping an open mind is pretty much key!

We're about the same age so I'm sure you are probably somewhere around the same frame of mind! lol.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Instructor

I personally think that the grille looks really good on the TL and that it doesn't need a change. I think it sets the TL apart from other cars that compete in the same segment.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Pro

Thanks man...I'm a work in progress but keeping an open mind is pretty much key!

We're about the same age so I'm sure you are probably somewhere around the same frame of mind! lol.
You sir are correct. lol

I like the agressive look of the 4G TL and the classic look of the 3G. I understand why you went with the 3G, it's a very nice car.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

3G styling was bland?

The 3G was a huge success because it combined sporty performance with great value and a handsome design. It definately wasn't bland when it first came out. Of course now, it's become like vanilla....you see them everywhere driven by almost everybody.....from college students, to pizza delivery guys and to professionals. The 4G in my opinion is going to take a lot longer to achieve anywhere close to the same level of success as the 3G.....obviously due to the controversial design, but also due to the economy and the greater level of competition. Aftermarket grills like Ron Jon's will help more people to come to the 4G's side but still, it's going to take time.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Olu
Instructor

3G styling was bland?

Why do you find this surprising? Check out VWVortex, Audiworld or Club Lexus forums. Especially among the German car forums, Acura is respected for it's value and reliability, NOT for it's design or it's performance (feel, not numbers) . Despite the naysayers the recent design changes have at the very least given Acura cars personality that they (IMO) hadn't had before the plenum grille, sharp creases, and fender flares. (Legend excluded)
Old 08-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Drifting

This, if the "grill is a deal killer," then what exactly are you trying to prove? Are you trying to insult people who've purchased it, or are you just talking to yourself to reaffirm you're own decision in front of others? Thanks for the trolling attempt, you can move along now.
Neither, was it not in English? I don't exactly see what you are getting at either, as if your post or opinion serves some kind of greater purpose. It's a forum, that's what these things are all about.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

If the 4G TL were a girl it would be a butterface.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 PM

^^^
That is fucked up.

About the bland styling thing...I think it's too subjective to bother to argue opinions. I think Acura is all of the things you mentioned above, and then some. 3G and 4G and 2G etc...only at a fraction of the price you would normally pay for another brand.

You are referencing sites that are run/frequented by competitor car enthusiasts. Anyway, it's all relative. I can tell you that if I could sleep at night with a $600+ car payment, I wouldn't be on the forum right now...I'd be at the dealership picking up my TL SH-Awd 2010 6 Speed with Tech package in Mayan bronze with umber interior. Mmm mmm good.

But I'll probably just do what I did with my 3G...wait 3 to 5 years and buy it used for under $20K...then put another grand or so into fixing little things like corroded rain channels etc.

But by then they'll be a 5G for us to have this debate about...so my life will continue to have things to ponder.

LOL...this is all in said from a playful perspective. As Yeti and Danny Glover said, we're getting too old for this shit!
Old 08-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Agree, don't buy the car and please move on, have a nice day. In the begining opinions were welcomed but at this point let's just say "your lose" and others say "what an ugly grill" but to keep posting about it here in a 4g community it's as if someone cannot own this car becuase a few dislike it. It's old news get over it.

I've been on these forums since 2002, had to rework my user info when the site switched to Acurazine, so I've been around here a long time, driving and modding Acura's before you had a drivers liscense.
This is a car forum and a discussion about the grill if I'm not mistaken, with that said I offered my opinion based on the topic.
You guys here are so defensive about the new TL it's ridiculous and no I "don't lose" and don't worry "I'm over it".
I like the new TL in many respects as it's a great car, just don't like the beak, many dealers have had the same concern and hence this thread.
When there is a topic I feel is of interest here I respond and yes I may buy a new TL with some of the new grill options which is why I spend time here in the first place.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Drifting

It just gets old, it's ok the first, second and third time but there are frequent visitors many who also happen to be long time members and many who just troll around every thread with pointless condescending comments, now I understand it's not you in particular, who happens to display some form of respectful opinion but that's not the case from everyone and I wasn't targeting anyone in specific, it was broad intended agreeance with other members so we don't get more comments that ruin threads. I also understand it is the topic of the thread but many are just using the thread title to get a few rips in. It's not what you say but how you say it or word it in this case. Many 4G owners would even agree that the grill could use some work but you can't honestly expect no defense whatsoever even at that and the opposing rebuttles are just as defensive. Opinions conflict no way around it. So what is the point in still having this debate a year later over the opinions of the grill?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Olu
Instructor

It just gets old, it's ok the first, second and third time but there are frequent visitors many who also happen to be long time members and many who just troll around every thread with pointless condescending comments, ?
Case in point

Originally Posted by ssim3
If the 4G TL were a girl it would be a butterface.

About the bland styling thing...I think it's too subjective to bother to argue opinions. I think Acura is all of the things you mentioned above, and then some. 3G and 4G and 2G etc...only at a fraction of the price you would normally pay for another brand.
Exactly. It IS subjective. That's why I'm saying that the 4G will appeal to a certain person, the 3G will appeal to a certain person. As long as Acura is selling the TL (which it is doing well compared to it's competitors), then they couldn't care less what former 3G users think, especially if they're planning on moving the TL up a class.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Neither, was it not in English? I don't exactly see what you are getting at either, as if your post or opinion serves some kind of greater purpose. It's a forum, that's what these things are all about.
Wow, I posted last night?

I really shouldn't be allowed near a computer after drinking. Yep, I also realize yesterday was Wednesday.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
... So what is the point in still having this debate a year later over the opinions of the grill?
It is what it is. If there are still enough forum members who feel strongly about it, then you have to respect that they still feel the need to discuss it - why is that wrong?

The other reason is that there are folks like me who despite being a five+ year member (I owned an 04), I am just now getting back on to the forum as I'm starting to ponder what I'll buy six months from now.

Truthfully, if you are so sick of threads about the looks of the beak, why don't you just not open the threads about it?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Drifting

No problem to have a discussion but the issue is purely subjective, there will never be a right or wrong side or an ending to it so sometimes it's better just to avoid it. Not a knock so trust me when I say if you were here from the 4G intro you would also be sick of the countless remarks.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
It is clear that the "optional" "sport" treatment for the grill and back strip are the quick answer to the negative feedback on the grill particularly for the darker colored cars. The real queston now is will there be a more permanent answer before the MMC or will the MMC Type-S offer something sexy finally.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I've also noticed some of the same people that come over into the 4G forums who have absolutely no intention of buying this car and/or discussing its merits as well as its deficits in a constructive manner.

It is getting old and I do not want the 4G owners and/or other members or prospective members of AZ be in a position where they have to be defensive all the time.

To those repeat posters, and you know who you are- re-read the rules for posting in 4G. To wit, if you have nothing useful to add to a discussion then don't.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
No problem to have a discussion but the issue is purely subjective, there will never be a right or wrong side or an ending to it so sometimes it's better just to avoid it. Not a knock so trust me when I say if you were here from the 4G intro you would also be sick of the countless remarks.
I certainly understand your point. I'm a fanatic on another forum of which I've owned many cars - and the same sort of things happen on that forum.

I guess part of the way I view it is if it's such a controversial subject, the best way to send a message to Acura continue to let them know what we don't like.

I've always thought that forum members should be the ones who decide what gets discussed. If so many people are tired of discussing something, the threads should die a quick and natural death. If enough people want to keep discussing something, why kill it? The thread titles should be enough that people who don't want to read a thread don't have to. Or is this one of those things like a gruesome wreck on the side of the road - people just can't help but look

It would be like a store quit selling something that people still want to buy. Why would they do that?

Quick Reply: Interesting conversation with my dealler about grill...