Intake Resonator Removed

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Just wanted to say that removing the stock resonator is probably not a smart move, the tubing actually supplies the intake with cold air. All that removing the resonator will do is make the oem intake louder and remove the oem intakes cold air supply so you'd be losing power doing that.

Just installed the Takeda intake tonight. I only had the chance to go for a short drive but my early thoughts are:
- it sounds awesome, the crossover is very loud and reminiscent of my old Prelude H22 engine (this is a good thing) but under light throttle you can't hear it at all
- it didn't seem like I lost any low end power but it didn't feel like I gained any either, mid-upper rpm felt like I gained power especially above 5k rpm
- built quality of the intake was decent, nothing about its design or quality impressed me except that the black wrinkle finish seems really durable, I hit it with my screw driver and it didn't damage the finish
- the install instructions are terrible and need better pictures
The following users liked this post:
liquidneon (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
Just wanted to say that removing the stock resonator is probably not a smart move, the tubing actually supplies the intake with cold air. All that removing the resonator will do is make the oem intake louder and remove the oem intakes cold air supply so you'd be losing power doing that.

Just installed the Takeda intake tonight. I only had the chance to go for a short drive but my early thoughts are:
- it sounds awesome, the crossover is very loud and reminiscent of my old Prelude H22 engine (this is a good thing) but under light throttle you can't hear it at all
- it didn't seem like I lost any low end power but it didn't feel like I gained any either, mid-upper rpm felt like I gained power especially above 5k rpm
- built quality of the intake was decent, nothing about its design or quality impressed me except that the black wrinkle finish seems really durable, I hit it with my screw driver and it didn't damage the finish
- the install instructions are terrible and need better pictures
thank you for the write up! def worth considering.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old thread, I know...

I know this is a old thread, but I'm curious about this since there seems to be issues with the icebox MAF housing and the KTuner...

Has anyone thought about just removing the resonator and adding a long tube like the icebox? Essentially this would be a cheap way to do it but keep the stock MAF housing.

Thoughts?
Old 10-16-2015, 11:56 PM
2011 SHAWD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a thought ive always had. if its the resonator box that is the issue, in systems where its is attached to the intake pipe why not fill it?? with expanding foam or something.

my car is in my friends body shop i was considering removing it, but if i decide to put it back can i???? what i mean is, is it rivets holding it like the old TL models or does it come apart and fit back together. Thanks
Old 10-17-2015, 12:17 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Kajan_8
just a thought ive always had. if its the resonator box that is the issue, in systems where its is attached to the intake pipe why not fill it?? with expanding foam or something.

my car is in my friends body shop i was considering removing it, but if i decide to put it back can i???? what i mean is, is it rivets holding it like the old TL models or does it come apart and fit back together. Thanks

Not really sure why you would want to fill the resonator box with expanding foam. The whole purpose of removing it is to remove the air restriction of the stock housing.

Remove it from just below the filter housing and call it a day. BTW, all the parts that are removable can be installed again without any issues,you will have to take off the battery tray and bumper to remove all the parts below the filter housing.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KarKraze
Not really sure why you would want to fill the resonator box with expanding foam. The whole purpose of removing it is to remove the air restriction of the stock housing.

Remove it from just below the filter housing and call it a day. BTW, all the parts that are removable can be installed again without any issues,you will have to take off the battery tray and bumper to remove all the parts below the filter housing.
Agreed.. and who knows what the foam will be like a year or two down the line. Would hate to see it degraded and start building up in the filter or worse.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:45 PM
2011 SHAWD

Originally Posted by KarKraze

That is true but the brake cooler ducts are being held in place by the box. And I figured it's routed to the front so it's a " factory cold air " Intake, hence why I want the noise supression gone but wanna keep the piping.

I did consider short ram, I had heat soak once and it wasn't so nice.

Pretty much just trying to do a cheep quick mod. Lol
Old 10-17-2015, 08:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kajan_8
That is true but the brake cooler ducts are being held in place by the box. And I figured it's routed to the front so it's a " factory cold air " Intake, hence why I want the noise supression gone but wanna keep the piping.

I did consider short ram, I had heat soak once and it wasn't so nice.

Pretty much just trying to do a cheep quick mod. Lol

Hear you on the heat soak issue. Not fond of that either.

With the resonator removed you maintain the stock intake housing thereby not needing any MAF tuning that is needed by folks running an aftermarket intake.

When using the CT Engineering IceBox all the stock components are removed and the brake venting is still in place,held by a bracket supplied. It is easy to fab a similar bracket to hold the brake duct in place if you remove the resonator from the stock intake.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
So just a long term follow-up after having the Takeda for a while now. I'd say without a doubt that I've lost some low-end tq and hp but gained some in the top-end. The intake would be a great addition for a spirited driver, I'm on the fence and considering removing it now since most of my time is spent below 3k rpm. It sounds great and all but once the novelty wears off I'm not sure it's worth losing the low-end power over.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:06 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
do you guys notice much gain from the pulley?
Old 11-18-2015, 07:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 23109VC
do you guys notice much gain from the pulley?

You will feel the RPM ramp up quicker, feels good to me.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:41 AM
10th Gear

intake resonator

Can't see the images. Is this for the 4g acura tls on removing resonator?
Old 08-24-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^yes. it's basically the same concept in ALL cars.
find the bolts. remove said bolts.
chop or saw off resonator. extend piping and put it back onto the throttle body.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:35 AM
10th Gear

intake resonator

Can I just remove the resonator and that's it?
Old 08-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I did this myself about and a year ago and honestly, the sound you gain is alright but you do lose some power. The car seems to heat soak quicker nowadays and I'm fixing to either get a CAI or an SRI(and make extended piping for it maybe?) or put back the oem resonator box.

The other night it was nice and cool and under WOT you could hear the air being sucked in heh. Again, pretty cool and enjoyable, but not worth the performance IMO. You also don't get that loud VTEC crossover as you would with an actual aftermarket intake.