Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How often do you use S mode?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Triniguy
As someone who went from a 2008 G-coupe to an '09 SH-awd, the diff between their "S" modes are substantial. I mean, aside from the fact that the G is already more aggressively set up (It is a sportscar after all...), the "S" mode on the Acura is way more fun to drive. (I didn't use the paddles much on either vehicle). The attitude on the acura is absolutely changed when in S mode, I found myself doing 90 on I-285 b4 I caught myself, LOL...
Spot on and exactly what I was trying to say. It brings out the "sport" in this luxury sport sedan....it's there for a reason.... if you want it.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crxb
Ok well the automatic SH-AWD TL is no M3

but for what it is it does have good handling - able to power thru turns - all I want to do - as I posted above is to be in a lower gear to be able to drive out of the turn with some power. - so that's the reason I use the paddles to downshift 2x - and then again once thru the turn to get back to high gear
- otherwise I don't paddle shift and let the automatic pick its gear - that fine 95% of the time - I just use it for that 5% of the time I want a little fun
just my opinion
I will try this, but have you tried what you're describing in S mode without the paddle shifting?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by CalgaryAWDTL
I will try this, but have you tried what you're describing in S mode without the paddle shifting?
I may tried when 1st got the car, but not recently

I'l have to give it a 2nd try

I just got used to the paddles and not having to take my hands from the wheel

but I'l report back after
Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
After driving the 12 SH AWD i still find the acura system to be lacking. There is no 1st gear hold (it will automatically shift to 2nd) and getting it to go into 1st while moving is next to impossible. Shifts are moderate at best for speed but the new 6 speed makes up for the other shortcomings i listed.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Instructor

S mode is perfect for the occasional or daily spirited city driving where speed limits do not reach anywhere near 100mph. I think Acura intended this S mode to be used this way and not for highway speeds. I find it perfect for that Sunday drive in the city or twisty back roads where up to 80 MPH is fun enough.
That's my problem...my daily drive is 50% highway...and the S mode isn't for highway use as you pointed out.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
After driving the 12 SH AWD i still find the acura system to be lacking. There is no 1st gear hold (it will automatically shift to 2nd) and getting it to go into 1st while moving is next to impossible. Shifts are moderate at best for speed but the new 6 speed makes up for the other shortcomings i listed.
Playing with my paddle shifters for the first time yesterday, I was surprised that even in Manual S, it would upshift from 1st gear really quickly by itself. Why does it do this?
Old 04-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by deeblew
Playing with my paddle shifters for the first time yesterday, I was surprised that even in Manual S, it would upshift from 1st gear really quickly by itself. Why does it do this?
You had it in full manual(paddle)S mode and it shifted by itself? That's strange because my '10 does not do that. What RPM did it shift at by itself? Did you hit close to redline because if so I believe it does upshift for you to protect the car.

When I play around with the paddle shifting on ocassional spirited drives I usually shift between 4-5K and find most of the power there. Mostly though, I've been finding the auto S mode aggressive enough for my liking without having to play around with the toyish paddles.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Advanced

You had it in full manual(paddle)S mode and it shifted by itself? That's strange because my '10 does not do that. What RPM did it shift at by itself? Did you hit close to redline because if so I believe it does upshift for you to protect the car.

When I play around with the paddle shifting on ocassional spirited drives I usually shift between 4-5K and find most of the power there. Mostly though, I've been finding the auto S mode aggressive enough for my liking without having to play around with the toyish paddles.
In full manual s mode, it shifts from first to second at like 2k. Anyone else with a '12 experience this?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by deeblew
In full manual s mode, it shifts from first to second at like 2k. Anyone else with a '12 experience this?
Just to confirm this is even after you engage the manual S mode by pressing the paddles first?

I just checked mine again and it sings all the way up to 6K+ in first before I need to hit the paddle. No way does my '10 auto shift at 2K in full manual S mode. I hope they didn't change this for the '12s because that would be lame.

Last edited by CalgaryAWDTL; 04-16-2011 at 12:44 PM.