Headrest issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Exactly, +100000. If they are hitting your head you need to either tilt the seat back, back... or tilt the entire seat back (to maintain the same degree tilt of the seat back... if any of that makes sense.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
Exactly, +100000. If they are hitting your head you need to either tilt the seat back, back... or tilt the entire seat back (to maintain the same degree tilt of the seat back... if any of that makes sense.

Believe me - I've tried everything. It is most comfortable to me to have my back sitting back in the seat. I simply cannot to that with the OEM headrests or with the used TSX rests I bought, though the discomfort/soreness is less with the TSX headrests. The headrests stick forward too far and that's the issue. BMW has headrests that rotate forward or backward, as does the Acura RL. If the TL had this feature, there would be no problem.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree the headrest should be able to be adjustable, I think the previous model did... everybody's ergonomics are different so movable headrest makes sense...
Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 PM
5th Gear

My wife and I love the headrest. It's one of the reasons why we bought the car.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Outdare
My wife and I love the headrest. It's one of the reasons why we bought the car.
That is so bogus! I bought the car despite the headrest, because the left windshield wiper is, like, the best in the industry!

Pity the passenger-side one sucks fly tar.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
I agree the headrest should be able to be adjustable, I think the previous model did... everybody's ergonomics are different so movable headrest makes sense...
Mentioned before, I'm trying to figure out the head restraint dislike. Mine never hits my head. But, for grins, I looked at the adjustment. You can indeed adjust it (at least mine can be adjusted). Just pull it up, or push it down to where you want it. It will lock into where you set it.

Is this different on the '09s vs the '10s?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't know, some people must be hunchbacked and sit with their head slouched in front of them all the time. I like to sit up straight and reach the stearing wheel easily. Basically the OEM head restraint is always touching my head and pushing it forward 0.5 inches. So I put in a headrest from before the re-design, and now everything is cool.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Litt
I don't know, some people must be hunchbacked and sit with their head slouched in front of them all the time. I like to sit up straight and reach the stearing wheel easily. Basically the OEM head restraint is always touching my head and pushing it forward 0.5 inches. So I put in a headrest from before the re-design, and now everything is cool.
I feel like at this point we need to start seeing photos of how your seat is configured... With the way my seat is setup, the entire seat is tilted back and the seat back with a tilt the flat part of the headrest is only a few degrees tilted forward....

Honestly, I just don't know how you guys have your seats set... I've tried to configure my seat every way possible to see what it would take for it to actually push my head forward, and I'm still at a loss...
Old 05-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
^I hear ya. They likely need to move the seat base forward and recline the seatback, also the wheel telescopes, take advantage of that. Sitting straight up would not impact that type of seating position, unless you sit back and not up, it would make it be what is often referred to as the way you are supposed to sit. I don't agree or disagree with the statement but that is what many of us do and would try to get used to if I had a problem with the the restraint. Also the center of your head should be in line with the center of the restraint and placing it a little higher shouldn't do you any more harm if you still feel it is in the way.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 05-01-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Drifting

Today my wife drove my car for the first time since I got it. I decided to spend the sunny day and give her a 6-spd lesson (she did great!).

She's like 5'5", small frame and she sits pretty close to the wheel, and she didn't have the headrests pushing her head forward. I was actually surprised, because I guessed it was with shorter people.... Dunno...
Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 AM
3rd Gear

A lot of people are saying that those complaining of headrest issues must be doing something wrong or have their seat adjusted incorrectly. This is the not the case

I have the same problem with my 2009 MDX. I have upper back issues and I am uncomfortable with my head forward. the majority of people sit naturally with their head forward a bit, but for some, that is not comfortable for an extended period of time. We do a lot of long driving trips. For my first trip to Washington DC, the back pain got so bad I removed the headrest from the seat (which is definitely something you should NOT do, kind of defeats the purpose). But I didn't have a choice. I have tried many different combinations of seat position and tilt, but none have helped. It is actually the position of my head relative to my upper back, and if my back it tilted back, then my head is just back further.

I was at the dealer today and brought this up to them, he said all models pretty much had it and it was key to them getting a 5 star safety rating and didn't really offer me any options.

I am going to check ebay and see what I can find. I am inclined to see if it is possible to bend the headrest back just a bit by bending the posts. Any other ideas from those who do have the issue and what they have done to address it are welcome.

Thanks!

-Brad
Old 05-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Take em out if you don't like em - just don't get hit in the front or back at any speed...if you like your head attached and all.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bgrorud
A lot of people are saying that those complaining of headrest issues must be doing something wrong or have their seat adjusted incorrectly. This is the not the case

I have the same problem with my 2009 MDX. I have upper back issues and I am uncomfortable with my head forward. the majority of people sit naturally with their head forward a bit, but for some, that is not comfortable for an extended period of time. We do a lot of long driving trips. For my first trip to Washington DC, the back pain got so bad I removed the headrest from the seat (which is definitely something you should NOT do, kind of defeats the purpose). But I didn't have a choice. I have tried many different combinations of seat position and tilt, but none have helped. It is actually the position of my head relative to my upper back, and if my back it tilted back, then my head is just back further.

I was at the dealer today and brought this up to them, he said all models pretty much had it and it was key to them getting a 5 star safety rating and didn't really offer me any options.

I am going to check ebay and see what I can find. I am inclined to see if it is possible to bend the headrest back just a bit by bending the posts. Any other ideas from those who do have the issue and what they have done to address it are welcome.

Thanks!

-Brad

Brad - I'm so fed up with this issue that this Saturday I am trading in my TL for a brand new car. I've had it. I've tried adjusting the seat every which way I possibly can; I've written two letters to Acura; I took out the headrests; I turned the headrests around; and I bought headrests off eBay from a 2004 TSX. Those have helped somewhat, but I still have soreness.

Come Saturday, if you're interested I'll sell you the two TSX headrests for your car if you want. They're black leather. Let me know if you're interested. You can PM me or post here.

Hard to believe my car is 6 mo old and I'm getting rid of it, but good riddance!

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Find some headrests from a 2G CL or TL.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:02 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by btomcik
Brad - I'm so fed up with this issue that this Saturday I am trading in my TL for a brand new car. I've had it. I've tried adjusting the seat every which way I possibly can; I've written two letters to Acura; I took out the headrests; I turned the headrests around; and I bought headrests off eBay from a 2004 TSX. Those have helped somewhat, but I still have soreness.

Come Saturday, if you're interested I'll sell you the two TSX headrests for your car if you want. They're black leather. Let me know if you're interested. You can PM me or post here.

Hard to believe my car is 6 mo old and I'm getting rid of it, but good riddance!

Good luck!
Which car are you thinking of trading in the TL for?

Best of luck!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
Today my wife drove my car for the first time since I got it. I decided to spend the sunny day and give her a 6-spd lesson (she did great!).

She's like 5'5", small frame and she sits pretty close to the wheel, and she didn't have the headrests pushing her head forward. I was actually surprised, because I guessed it was with shorter people.... Dunno...
LOL, I'm 5'5'' as well and I absolutely love the seats. (to include the headrests).

I also have trouble picturing how those complaining are seated.

But my biggest question is: Did you not ID this problem when you test drove the vehicle? If it's so bad you'd trade your car in, it looks like you would have discovered the issue with a test drive. In the end though, not all cars fit all people and vice versa. Just make sure you get one with adjustable headrests.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bgrorud
I don't think any of us think you guys are "doing it wrong". Cars are made different for everyone. I've found the best way to adjust my seat for comfort was to not only tilt the seat back, back. But to also lean the entire seat back. I don't know if this will work with short legs and arms. But the couple of options that you have I think are to do one or both of the options above, they both involve having the seat back tilted or leaned until the headrest flat section is vertical.

Good luck!
Wow, that sucks to hear that. Would you mind taking photos of how your seat is orientated? I think many of us would be curious to see how the seat is configured. Which car are you looking to trade for?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SSGHutch
But my biggest question is: Did you not ID this problem when you test drove the vehicle? If it's so bad you'd trade your car in, it looks like you would have discovered the issue with a test drive.
This is like the third time this question has been asked in the last six months. It really doesn't reflect well on you for asking it, because it's both insulting and doesn't demonstrate that you thought through the typical test-drive scenario. Your test drive lasts, what, 15 minutes? In that time, you're focused on the new controls, the noises, the cornering/acceleration, listening to (or trying to ignore) the salesdroid beside you, learning all the new features, making sure the nav/climate system isn't too annoying. You aren't in one position or driving for 20 minutes on the freeway.

Many things aren't annoying in tiny doses for seconds at a time, but build up with longer exposure. Many substances are only toxic with long-term exposure too. The TL's headrestraints are the equivalent of lead plumbing.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SSGHutch
LOL, I'm 5'5'' as well and I absolutely love the seats. (to include the headrests).

I also have trouble picturing how those complaining are seated.

But my biggest question is: Did you not ID this problem when you test drove the vehicle? If it's so bad you'd trade your car in, it looks like you would have discovered the issue with a test drive. In the end though, not all cars fit all people and vice versa. Just make sure you get one with adjustable headrests.

I think pete and techno said it best in their replies.

Before the TL, I was a Hemi guy, so I'm headed back to Hemi-land. Tomorrow I pick up my Charger R/T.

I'll try to take a couple pictures of the seats with how I have them adjusted and I'll put in the OEM headrests and the 04 TSX suckers I stuck in there.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TechnoCat
This is like the third time this question has been asked in the last six months. It really doesn't reflect well on you for asking it, because it's both insulting and doesn't demonstrate that you thought through the typical test-drive scenario. Your test drive lasts, what, 15 minutes? In that time, you're focused on the new controls, the noises, the cornering/acceleration, listening to (or trying to ignore) the salesdroid beside you, learning all the new features, making sure the nav/climate system isn't too annoying. You aren't in one position or driving for 20 minutes on the freeway.

Many things aren't annoying in tiny doses for seconds at a time, but build up with longer exposure. Many substances are only toxic with long-term exposure too. The TL's headrestraints are the equivalent of lead plumbing.
LOL, I'm not trying to insult anyone here. I took several test drives and tested everything I could think of. When I'm looking to drop 40K on a car, I focus on the interior for those exact reasons. Everything from placing my bags in the trunk to testing out how the cupholders work. I have to say I've spent several hours in my TL and the other cars I was considering before making my decision. My job entails lots of long distance road tips and I wanted to ensure I was comfortable. Like Pete said, not every car is for everyone. Try not to take offense BTW, just my two cents.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Racer

I do not wish to argue with anyone. I am glad if you like the OEM head restraint. My only purpose in writing, is to help people if they are frustrated by the head restraint, to let them know that there are some alternatives.

With these pictures I did not move my seat at all, I just sat there normally and had my head straight up.

My replacement head rest. Gives me more room.

OEM head restraint touches my head at all times, I can not lean back even a little. In fact it feels like my head is pushed forward.

This is how my seat is set up. I think it is "normal", I am tall, and so I like to have room for my legs, but I always want to easily be able to reach the wheel at 12 oclock. Thus, I actually sit up pretty straight, which is why the angled forward wedge pushes my head forward. Yes I use the telescopic wheel feature.

It's kind of insulting when people suggest that we didn't try to adjust our seats to find a more comfortable way of sitting.

The replacement head rest from previous generations just works much better for me. I am just letting you know in case you feel the same way. You can do whatever you want.

Last edited by Litt; 05-14-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Litt
I do not wish to argue with anyone. I am glad if you like the OEM head restraint. My only purpose in writing, is to help people if they are frustrated by the head restraint, to let them know that there are some alternatives.

With these pictures I did not move my seat at all, I just sat there normally and had my head straight up.

My replacement head rest. Gives me more room.

OEM head restraint touches my head at all times, I can not lean back even a little. In fact it feels like my head is pushed forward.

This is how my seat is set up. I think it is "normal", I am tall, and so I like to have room for my legs, but I always want to easily be able to reach the wheel at 12 oclock. Thus, I actually sit up pretty straight, which is why the angled forward wedge pushes my head forward. Yes I use the telescopic wheel feature.

It's kind of insulting when people suggest that we didn't try to adjust our seats to find a more comfortable way of sitting.

The replacement head rest from previous generations just works much better for me. I am just letting you know in case you feel the same way. You can do whatever you want.

Yeah I'll try and take some pictures like you did before I trade my TL in tomorrow morning. I'm tall as well (6'-5") and obviously have the same problems.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Well now I get an idea of what you guys are talking about. But I will say that your seat is in a very upright position at least compared to where I have mine. The top of my seat in almost entirely behind the B-pillar and there's a good 2-3" between my head and the head rest. I'm not tall 5' 10" and I don't lamp-out in my seat either. But I guess seat position is unique to the individual.

I'll post a pic when I get home from work for a comparison.

Also out of curiosity, do you guys have base TL's or SHAWD's? Judging by the seat it look as though you have a base TL Litt, am I right? Maybe that has something to do with it as well since the seats are different.

Last edited by MyT6MT; 05-14-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Advanced

I have the SH-AWD version. I do think my seat is fairly upright because of being so tall. I have to have the seat further back for leg room and room to shift and don't want to recline like a gangsta' and struggle to reach the wheel and controls. I have the steering wheel telescoped all the way out too.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:02 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by TechnoCat
Many things aren't annoying in tiny doses for seconds at a time, but build up with longer exposure. Many substances are only toxic with long-term exposure too.
I agree.

I had 09 Lexus IS 250 AWD, traded it in 4000 miles later for the TL 6MT, and took a huge financial hit. Dam IS has the worst interior ever. Initial test drives were non revealing and I was impressed over its "comfy features" like plush leather, cooled seats, adaptive HID lighting, rear sun shade, etc.

How ironic... Over time, I discovered a hump in the middle console that protruded into the footwell space (the AWD drivetrain) and impede my right leg/knee/hip from a natural resting position. As time progressed, I eventually couldn't drive the dam car b/c of pain in my right knee/leg.

Some things you just don't know until you have it in possession for a lengthy period of time (ie. cars, mattress, TV, computers, eyeglasses, house, etc.), no matter how much research you've done.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
I agree.

I had 09 Lexus IS 250 AWD, traded it in 4000 miles later for the TL 6MT, and took a huge financial hit. Dam IS has the worst interior ever. Initial test drives were non revealing and I was impressed over its "comfy features" like plush leather, cooled seats, adaptive HID lighting, rear sun shade, etc.

How ironic... Over time, I discovered a hump in the middle console that protruded into the footwell space (the AWD drivetrain) and impede my right leg/knee/hip from a natural resting position. As time progressed, I eventually couldn't drive the dam car b/c of pain in my right knee/leg.

Some things you just don't know until you have it in possession for a lengthy period of time (ie. cars, mattress, TV, computers, eyeglasses, house, etc.), no matter how much research you've done.
docboy, on a side note. The base model i have now has less of a drivetrain hump than the shawd one, front and back. Reason i found out was the the SHAWD floormats didn't fit, they were too small. I had to buy the base model floormats that had more rubber towards the center. just fyi
Old 05-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Racer

Yes, I have the base TL, and I really love the car. This is only one small issue, and I have fixed it for myself. I am 6'1" btw.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Advanced

Here are pictures of what the headrests were like in my TL SH-AWD. Pictures 1 and 2 are with the OEM headrests. Picture 3 is with the 04 TSX headrests I put in. You can see the difference in how far forward the headrests go.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 AM
3rd Gear

TEST DRIVE- I have never run into this issue in a car before, so I did not look into it during the test drive. You can be sure I will look into this from now on! This is also the wife's care, so when I drive it, it is mostly on long trips.

We went on a couple hour drive over the weekend and I played with the seat position quite a bit. I have gotten it a little bit better, but the overall driving position is less comfortable. As I recline the (which does help some) seat, my body is further away from the steering wheel and I can no longer comfortably rest my left arm on the door. So I move the chair closer until I can and then my legs are a little too close. That is the position I am going to use and see if I get used to it.

I'd like to look for a back cushion to see if that further helps, but I haven't been able to find any place that carries good ones locally. I feel if I buy one off the internet, I may have to buy 5 or 6 before I find one that is comfortable.

My interior is a light grey (I forget what they call it) so color matching is probably a little more difficult.

We are driving from Wisconsin to San Diego in a bit over a month, so I really need to have a solution by then. If not, I told the family we'll just have to take my Camaro instead (they didn't like that idea)

-Brad
Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 AM
3rd Gear

Here are pictures of what the headrests were like in my TL SH-AWD. Pictures 1 and 2 are with the OEM headrests. Picture 3 is with the 04 TSX headrests I put in. You can see the difference in how far forward the headrests go.
Thanks for the pics! I may have to check out some used Honda's and Acura's, if I could find that headrest in grey, the problem may be solved...

-Brad
Old 05-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
When I sat in some TLs at auto shows, dealers, etc. I had the same issue with the head rest (I am 6'2"), so when I test drove some cars, I was very sensitive to it. No problems on any test drive and no problems with the car I purchased. I never did determine why some of these bothered me so much, but the test drives and my own car did not.

Having read these threads and seen the pictures posted, I think I now understand. My headrest is all the way down in its lowest position. It still provides plenty of protection, but it's not in the least intrusive or uncomfortable. In all the pictures posted, it seems like the owners have the head rest in a relatively high position.

I know this seems obvious and you've probably all tried it, but have you driven the car with the head rest all the way down so it's flush with the top of the seat? Just a thought.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:55 PM
6th Gear

I hate the 4th generation TL head rest / restraint. It is too far forward. Also if you are in the passenger seat and lean the seat back it keeps your head so far forward that it is really uncomfortable.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Acura needs to change the headrests out in favor of active head restraints. As found in other luxury brands such as Mercedes. They don't invade your space on a day to day basis but in the event of a rear-end collision, they collapse forward to prevent whiplash- what the 4G headrests are trying to supress.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:30 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
When I sat in some TLs at auto shows, dealers, etc. I had the same issue with the head rest (I am 6'2"), so when I test drove some cars, I was very sensitive to it. No problems on any test drive and no problems with the car I purchased. I never did determine why some of these bothered me so much, but the test drives and my own car did not.

Having read these threads and seen the pictures posted, I think I now understand. My headrest is all the way down in its lowest position. It still provides plenty of protection, but it's not in the least intrusive or uncomfortable. In all the pictures posted, it seems like the owners have the head rest in a relatively high position.

I know this seems obvious and you've probably all tried it, but have you driven the car with the head rest all the way down so it's flush with the top of the seat? Just a thought.
It works but the head restraint protection from whiplash will be much less effective.

I would be in favor of active head restraints as well....
Old 06-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Headrest are designed as part of the accident restraint system of a car...why tamper with them? Besides that I have had any problems with the seats at all in my vehicle. 5' 9" and 188lb.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:10 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Someone mentioned the ear level thing and they are so correct. I found this, I think folks are getting head restraint confused with head rest...

https://www.pemco.com/PDFs_ConsumerT...adjustment.pdf

http://toledo.injuryboard.com/automo...oogleid=220652

If you note they speak of a distance between the head and the head "restraint" not "rest" there is a difference.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Advanced

having too much room between the back of your head and the headrest is DANGEROUS!

Everyone I noticed that complains about the headrest has the seat backs set too straight up. Recline back a little, adjust the seat accordingly, adjust the telescoping wheel, and the issue goes away.

In the near future, ALL cars will have headrests angled forward like that because it is SAFER!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

I think the solution is going to be to get the Invision Headrests with the built-in Screen/DVD !

http://www.invisionindustries.com/

I saw their brochure at my Acura Dealer, the problem is that the dealer charges around $1600 ea.

others companies charge a bit less

http://performancedodge.stores.yahoo...e2hedvdpl.html
Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

^^^

can be found cheaper on ebay... $400 for 2 !

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-7-Invision-TV-...item3f00321766
Old 06-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by chinolatte
having too much room between the back of your head and the headrest is DANGEROUS!

Everyone I noticed that complains about the headrest has the seat backs set too straight up. Recline back a little, adjust the seat accordingly, adjust the telescoping wheel, and the issue goes away.

In the near future, ALL cars will have headrests angled forward like that because it is SAFER!
Yup. It's the exact reason that Acura has the first line of 5star crash test rated cars. The headrests are what got them that.

Quick Reply: Headrest issues