Headrest issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headrest issues

Anybody else strongly dislike the headrests for the TL? I have problems with neck fatigue since the headrest juts out so far forward. Take a look - they lean so far forward it's ridiculous.

I mailed Acura and will see what they say.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I have seen rare reports like yours, but no great movement of any kind.

They don't bug me at all, and I appreciate that they've taken the time to design a headrest that will move upwards and forward in a crash.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
I know other people mentioned this... but I don't understand where the "neck fatigue" comes in? Are you resting your head on the headrest when you're driving? I always understood that headrests should be a couple inches behind your head, with the bulk of the headrest even with the ears.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Advanced

I just wish it could rotate back. I seriously have thought about just taking them off completely, but I'm afraid of whiplash should I get rear ended in an accident.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Advanced

The issue is that I want to sit back in the seat, but can't put my shoulders back because the headrests sticks too far forward into the back of my head. As a result and end up slightly leaning forward and slumping my shoulders in order to keep my head upright. That ends up leading to the fatigue.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Advanced

The RL's headrests do not stick as far forward (I sat in one while getting service at my local Acura dealer over the weekend). I thought about somehow swapping the headrests with RL headrests.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Drifting

Hmm, I don't think i've noticed it before, but we're all built differently... I'll have to pay closer attention next time I'm in the car to see if there was adjustment i made... I know one thing @ 6'2" I do tilt my seat to the rear quite a bit, the headrest on mine actually is just behind the pillars, so that by itself probably tilts the headrest back a bit more than normal.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I felt the same way at first, but once I adjusted to the car and found a comfortable riding position, I got used to the headrests. My wife on the other hand still hasn't adjusted and is constantly rubbing her neck when she's in the passenger seat.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BigWopHH
I felt the same way at first, but once I adjusted to the car and found a comfortable riding position, I got used to the headrests. My wife on the other hand still hasn't adjusted and is constantly rubbing her neck when she's in the passenger seat.
Very dangerous to have the bulk of the headrest at the neck level, should be right in line with the ears, at the neck you almost guarantee whiplash in the event of a rear-end accident.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Intermediate

I agree that the geometry of the headrest is poor. While I dont normally drive with hy head actually resting against the headrest, I do like to allow my head to rest against it for short periods of time on extended drives. The design of the headrests in the TL prevent me from being able to do this. Since the frame and "poles" used to hold the headrest in the seat are metal, I may see if I'm able to alter the angle to make them more comfortable.
While I know that tampering with the factory geometry of the headrests is not advised, I'm more interested in day to day driving comfort more than I'm worried about possibly making a change that may or may not cause a neck injury in a rear end collision that may or may not happen.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Racer

I hate the headrests too and have complained about them. My neck hurts too. The trick is to over-recline the seat. But it is really just another example of Acura missing part of the luxury concept - these things should at least pivot.

BTW, I'm on the slender side. I suspect that if my body were rounder, the position would be okay.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Intermediate

You're right TechnoCat. You can recline the seats back in order to change the headrest angle, but then all I've done is put the seat back in an angle that's uncomfortable for me. I like to drive with my seat back in a very vertical position. This just exaggerates the headrest problem even more! I think I'm starting to sound like a complainer....
Old 03-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
It's funny, but the first few times I sat in a TL, I had the same issue, and it was almost a deal breaker. But then I test drove one and it didn't bother me at all. Now that I have mine, no issue, and I find the seats very comfortable. I'm 6'2". I think one thing I may have done is to recline the seatback a few degrees - nothing extreme. But I think if you have the seatback fairly vertical, it will cause the problem people have felt. FWIW, I think all higher end cars are getting this way. I sat in a number of cars at a recent auto show, and it seems a lot of the mfrs are designing the headrests this way, presumably to reduce neck injuries in a collision.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Drifting

What are your guys seats perpendicular to the floor??

I've got crazy long arms and a long torso, so I need to have the seat reclined back, which I probably why I never noticed this before. But I do agree that this seems to be an industry move to reduce neck injuries in cars. These active headrests need to be pushed forward more so that in the event of a rear end, they will push your head forward to offset the whiplash effect.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually almost never lean on my headrest when im driving. I only do lean on it when im stopped at a red light. But now that i saw the headrest for myself it does jut's out very far.

Im just wondering has anyone ever considered to do a racing seat swap to a more comfortable maybe lighter in weight design on the tl?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
First and foremost it is not a head rest, it is a head restraint. The angular design is a new safety protocol to further diminish likelihood of whiplash injury and is spreading across the entire industry. It is not completely designed just for someone to rest their head on as you should sit upright and slightly foward regardless of seat position, with your head a bit off of the restraint.

Understandably, we are all different and at times everyone needs to rest their head while driving. As long as your back seat position is not too far forward, as it should not be because of increased whiplash risk, and you raise (or lower) the restraint to an apporiate level, you should be fine.

Your seat should be as far back as comfortably possible and the center of your head should hit the center of the restraint. It's all in the owners manual. Sounds to me like those who complain just need to raise it. Just looking at the design, common sense suggests that the angular pointy part should be near the crown of your head and the lower, flatter section is what you can rest on. It would be nice if it pivoted but then that could take away from it's actual safety intent and would likely be used incorrectly.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 03-02-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
My stepfather who is a chiropractor normally recommends to people to turn them backward to avoid injury while driving.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I bought black leather headrests from a 2008 Honda Accord, and put them in my TL. Problem solved. Ebay is great.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
My stepfather who is a chiropractor normally recommends to people to turn them backward to avoid injury while driving.
I think I know a legal team at AHM who would like to have a polite word with your chiropractor.

:-)
Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Volvo headrests have been like the TL's for years now. Up and down only with no pivot. Seems that I read somewhere that there have been quite a few studies proving the effectiveness of the current design. But like others said it is subjective as we are all built differently. I am one of the lucky ones that it does not interfere or fatigue.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
im 6'6", 240lbs and my only problem is my lower back. lumbar support helps a little but its still a problem. guess its just another downfall to an otherwise helpful attribute
Old 03-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
When I was at the dealer I also complained about this. Fortunately the chief engineer(or so I am told here) Matt(don't remember his last name) was there and I told him about this and he said that the headrests are made to be reversed. He simply pulled them off and reversed them for me. Problem solved
Old 03-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by btomcik
Anybody else strongly dislike the headrests for the TL? I have problems with neck fatigue since the headrest juts out so far forward. Take a look - they lean so far forward it's ridiculous.

Proper headreasts are supposed to basically line the back of your head up with your back. This is to prevent whiplash in accidents. The furtherest point front on the head reast should be lined up to the back of furthest part back on your head. If you get hit in the rear you head should NOT tilt backward on your neck.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kingofire
When I was at the dealer I also complained about this. Fortunately the chief engineer(or so I am told here) Matt(don't remember his last name) was there and I told him about this and he said that the headrests are made to be reversed. He simply pulled them off and reversed them for me. Problem solved
Until you get rear ended and have spinal issues.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I just don't get it. How could anyone drive with their head even close to the headrest, no less touching it. That could lead to neck fatigue.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
It's not a headrest. It's a head restraint. You'll be thankful of it being so far forward if you're ever rear-ended.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Eli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
It's not a headrest. It's a head restraint. You'll be thankful of it being so far forward if you're ever rear-ended.

Yep yep, it's a safety device, not sitting in a la-zy-boy. Head shouldn't be resting on it normally.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm always amazed to see the drivers who practically use them as pillows... You know, the ones with their seats reclined all the way back, practically in the horizontal position? Talk about dangerous!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingofire
he said that the headrests are made to be reversed

Jedi Mind Trick!
The following users liked this post:
yungdreadlionTL (04-17-2013)
Old 03-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cjTL
I don't want my head restrained from being in a normal comfortable position while I'm driving though. If it's not a head rest, it shouldn't be near my head. Get it back to a rational position.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Racer

The problem with this OEM headrest, is that when I drive around, and I like to sit up straight, it pushes my head forward. I can't drive around all day with my head against the headrest being pushed forward 0.5 inches.

Since I put in the 3G headrest, everything is great. This is definately something I will watch for next time I lease a car. A non-angled forward design, or a pivot will be a must.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Litt
The problem with this OEM headrest, is that when I drive around, and I like to sit up straight, it pushes my head forward. I can't drive around all day with my head against the headrest being pushed forward 0.5 inches.

Since I put in the 3G headrest, everything is great. This is definately something I will watch for next time I lease a car. A non-angled forward design, or a pivot will be a must.

Litt how'd you get a hold of 3G headrests??

I'm with Techno - if it isn't a rest then I don't want it that close to my head.

Acura called me today about my letter - they said there is nothing they can do for me, but that they very much do appreciate feedback from owners like me and that they'd forward my comments to design for future reference in designing the car.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Racer

I bought mine from this ebay store. My front headrests are now 2007 black leather Honda Accord headrests, but I'm ok with that. It is the same type of leather and color. They were cheap too, I got two front headrests for only $90.

this is supposed to be .com but the link keeps getting changed by the forum.

http://.com/yc2lzx7

You can just search for 2003 to 2007 leather Acura or honda headrests on Ebay and turn up lots of results.

Last edited by Litt; 03-03-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Racer

There is an ebay store called SL5PARTS

that link above was supposed to be a tiny url but the forum kept changing it.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Cruisin'

I really like the new headrest and the seat support in general. No real complaints.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
^Ya, I agree. I was surprised to see a few have issues with it since this is the first car that I have ever owned or driven that fits me perfectly. I have always had the opposite issue where I felt the head rest/restraint was too far back, at least for how I liked to keep my seat back positioned, and at times when I did rest on it, it was uncomfortable and my head tilted and positioned too far back unless my seat was almost vertical. This design gives me the perfect rest and restraint ability.

Just goes to show that everone really is very different in a lot of ways. The key would be to offer more adjustability. I think adding another 2 way feature to the top half portion of the seat back would address the issue some might have for Acura's future but no problems personally.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 03-04-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Advanced

I am 6'2" and don't have a problem with the head restraints.

I've noticed a lot of tall people on this group. I'm curious whether the TL attracts taller people because it is a larger car. I really liked the G37 but decided against it, partly because it felt too cramped.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
After having driven both the new TSX and the new TL (both as loaners) I can agree that the headrests suck. I always felt like my head was being pushed too far forward and down when driving. I even thought to myself there is no way I'd ever buy the new TSX, even though I like it, just because I'd never be able to drive comfortably.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rockstar143
huh:

As a Chiropractor your step dad seems to be looking for future business. The entire design of the head rest (really should be renamed to head restraint) is to PREVENT whiplash! I have seen this complaint on forums for several cars in recent years as car makers have done well on front and side impact tests and now focus on rear impact. As was mentioned early the design is to have the forward most part of the head restraint aligned with the furtherst point back of your head, and also slightly behind it. Thsu if you get rear ended your head will be stopped form flipping back too far and straining your neck. Removings them, or turning them backward will give your stepdata more business in an accident since the risk of neck injury will be substantially higher.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by btomcik

Study showing impact of proper head restraint usage:

http://www.allbusiness.com/safety-ac...1442072-1.html

Quick Reply: Headrest issues