Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Harness for my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 12:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harness for my car

I have an Acura 2009 TL with tech package. I bought navtool for my car. The navtool requires connecting RCA cable from the navtool to Aux input of the radio. My aux input is in the center console of my vehicle. Do they make a harness or adapter so I do not have to run a wire from the navtool which is right next to the radio back to the center console?

Also, I need to convert the usb on my center console to connect to the navtool instead of the radio. Any recommendations?

Thanks
-Dimitry
Old 02-12-2019, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
google, "RCA to Aux cable"

I don't think you'll be able to just convert the USB, I'd just run a new one.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
google, "RCA to Aux cable"

I don't think you'll be able to just convert the USB, I'd just run a new one.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Where do I connect the RCA cable on the back of the factory radio?

Also, where do you recommend putting the new usb so it look aesthetically pleasing in the Acura TL?

Thanks
-Dimitry

Thanks
-Dimitry
Old 02-12-2019, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
No, you'll have to take apart the center console to run the cable down the middle.

Check Amazon or eBay for options
Old 02-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Cruisin'

I am sorry I am not following. Where do I connect the RCA cable on the back of the factory radio?

Thanks
-Dimitry
Old 02-12-2019, 08:23 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by dshuster
I am sorry I am not following. Where do I connect the RCA cable on the back of the factory radio?

Thanks
-Dimitry
You don't. The RCA is an -input- for the navtool, not an output. The output is a 3.5mm audio jack which you run from the navtool to the 3.5mm input in the center armrest. Not sure how the newer navtool works but you don't connect the center armrest USB to the navtool. It doesn't edit that IIRC.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Blaze9
You don't. The RCA is an -input- for the navtool, not an output. The output is a 3.5mm audio jack which you run from the navtool to the 3.5mm input in the center armrest. Not sure how the newer navtool works but you don't connect the center armrest USB to the navtool. It doesn't edit that IIRC.

Blaze9,

Thanks for responding.

I thought the 3.5mm input in the center armrest goes to the radio so since the navtool is going to be placed in the back of the radio, wouldn't it be easier to run the cable from the navtool directly to the radio. I was wondering if there was some kind of converter so it can be connected directly to the radio because I do not see a 3.5mm input at the back of the radio. Otherwise, you have to remove the center console and then run the cable from navtool to the center console input. The input at the center console then runs back to the radio. It just seems like you would be doing extra work for nothing.

Please let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks
-Dimittry
Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 PM
Cruisin'

Also,

I was thinking of using the usb from the center console by removing it from the back of the radio and connecting it to the navtool. I was not sure if it is a standard connection or has a converter.

Maybe I am just making this harder than it is but just thought it is easier to buy a converter than hours removing panels and center console.

Thanks
-Dimitry
Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dshuster

Thanks
-Dimitry
The way mysetup is:

Navtool is under my shifter, there is a ton of empty space there. Better for heat distribution and bigger cables. I have a hole in my center arm-rest, bottom front wall with a grommet. Through the grommet is a HDMI extension and a 3.5mm extension. I have the 3.5 connected to the 3.5mm of the car. The HDMI is connected to my microsoft displaylink adaptor to cast my phone's screen. The USB A on the navtool IIRC does not have any input, only output 5V 1.5A, at least for my version. I have the 3.0, but the newest one is 5.0 and might be different. The MicroUSB on the navtool is for software updates and you can run the micro cable if you want to, though I didn't bother.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:14 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Blaze9
The way mysetup is:

Navtool is under my shifter, there is a ton of empty space there. Better for heat distribution and bigger cables. I have a hole in my center arm-rest, bottom front wall with a grommet. Through the grommet is a HDMI extension and a 3.5mm extension. I have the 3.5 connected to the 3.5mm of the car. The HDMI is connected to my microsoft displaylink adaptor to cast my phone's screen. The USB A on the navtool IIRC does not have any input, only output 5V 1.5A, at least for my version. I have the 3.0, but the newest one is 5.0 and might be different. The MicroUSB on the navtool is for software updates and you can run the micro cable if you want to, though I didn't bother.

Blaze9,

Thanks for the information, it was very helpful, especially where to put the navtool. This project I have to say has been an ordeal.

I bought the navtool that has Carplay/Android Auto (Navtool 5.0). The documentation was lacking and support was not accommodating at times. When I went to install it, I thought it would just be plug and play but then realized I was wrong.

Problems I ran into:
1)Nowhere in the documentation did it say to connect the red and black wires which provide power. When I called support, they said that was installers common knowledge. Since I do not install it everyday, I can understand the comment but some documentation would be helpful for the common laymen.

2)The Jog or cancel button (holding for 3 seconds) did not work on the my car to show the navtool display. After working with support for 5-6 hours, it was determined that the harness I received was for a different model and had to splice wires to make it work.

3)After I got the display to come up, I plugged in my phone (OnePlus 5t) then my wifes phone (OnePlus 5t) and it did not recognize it. When I called support they said Android Auto phones do not have a standard like Apple Carplay. The Android Phones do work in my wifes 2016 Mazda CX9. I also had a friend come over that has a Samsung Android phone and his worked fine with the Navtool. Support told me they would work on a firmware update and have something in 2-3 weeks.

Questions:
1)Can you post a picture on how you installed the grommet? Also, where did you buy the grommet?

2)If you have a picture of where you placed the navtool, it would be helpful. Please, do not take your center console apart to take a picture. Otherwise, could you describe where you put it under the shifter because I did not think there would be enough room.

3)Would you by any chance have documentation on how to remove the center console?

Thanks again for all your knowledge.
-Dimitry
Old 02-13-2019, 08:15 AM
Cruisin'

Blaze9,

I forgot to ask, did you buy and put a 5amp fuse between the navtool and power?

Thanks
-Dimitry
Old 02-13-2019, 08:33 PM
Pro

Hey Dimitry,

So, I don't have a pic of where I posted it, but take a look at the "not an ashtray" storage area right under the center scroll wheel. My navtool is directly underneath that if you take that area apart (Just the storage area/center arm rest area). I don't have pics (Don't have the car atm) but once I get the car I can show you. I used a 1in holesaw and cut a 1in hole in the center of the arm-rest storage area, about 1 inch from the bottom. I just got a 1in grommet from my grommet kit, it's about 5 bucks at harbor freight! Everything fits through it. For the power I did not want to splice into factor harnesses at all so I used a 18 (I think 18, or 16) awg wire to connect the accessory outlet (the cig lighter next to the shifter) to the power for the navtool. This way my factory harness is not touched at all, and the fuse circuit is already built into the accessory circuit. I will look and see if I have any documentation, but honestly it's super simple. The only difficult part, IMO, just a bit, is taking off the leather boot from the shift lever. It gets a bit tight.

I'll look for the guide!
Old 02-16-2019, 09:56 PM
Cruisin'

I finally got it installed and working.

I ended up putting the navtool in the glove compartment because that was the only place I could make it fit. I also thought if I ever have to update the firmware, it would be easily accessible.

Also, I had to change the usb configuration on my phone (OnePlus 5t) to midi to make it work with the android auto on the navtool. I hope this helps anyone who runs into the same problem.

Thanks to everyone that helped me figure this out.

-Dimitry