Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Going to test drive the new tl right now

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going to test drive the new tl right now

I got a call from rick case acura in sunrise florida. i'll be heading that way just now. I will have pic's and give you guys an honest review when i get back. give me about 2 hrs
Old 09-22-2008, 05:49 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lindsay Acura in Columbus Ohio today got in 9 2009 TL's today as well.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
tic toc, tic toc, tic toc, tic.... LOL
Old 09-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Just came from the dealer, saw one in person, going to keep my 3G.

The front wasn't as huge as I expected but I just can't get into all the little 'accents'.

It was sitting next to an RL that I thought was a TSX. I am not sure what Acura's thinking is, but the lines a just a bleed from one model to the next. No distinction except for possibly the electronics. At this point, I like the TSX of all the sedans.

The MDX is now my favorite 09 Acura.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My dealership got one in today... also going to check it out. o.O
Old 09-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Racer

Ok My thoughts.

The tl was better than i thought for sure but I still think I'm going to pass. First that dreaded front shield is metal and when you tap it it feels almost like a shield. The tires on the car are a bit to fat and it kinda throws it off a bit. rims are ok and the chrome or matte piece in the back trunk at the bottom is not part of the trunk lid. Doors are nice. They close like a highend car and are solid more so than the 3g Tl. I did not like the fact that they are still using regular wiper blades. I thought that all the new cars got the single rubber wiper but I guess its no biggie. the overall look of the car is better in person and I urge everyone to look at the car first before passing judgment.
The inside was way better than the outside by far. Dome lights are now leds, seats are 10way for the driver and 8way for the passenger. Navi was great. The high res makes you forget its not touch screen and you have diff languages to choose from ( spanish and french). Sound system does sound bad ass. 10 speakers in this car does what they are suppose to. seats were comfy and the steering wheel is lighter for sure more than the 3g.
The tech package only gets 1 cd selection because of the fact it has the hard drive, and your able to rip to it:thumbsdow. The 5AT is great as far as gear changing. You almost don't feel it shifting,even in manual mode. As far as speed its betwwen the regular 3g and the type s for accel. Ac works alot better and the sync botton everyone was woundering about is really for the climate control. instead of dual its now sync. rear camera has a meter on it to show how close you are to an object and its alot clearer than the previous year.
I'm not an editor for a mag so excuse my writing. In all its a nice car but it still is missing alot in my book. The funny thing was that the sales guys agreed with me. its a nice car up close but it did not blow me away. And the Sh-awd will be at 44k+ with the tech and in mybook this car need more than what it has to get that money from me
Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
kobi- no pics?
Old 09-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kobi2002
Ok My thoughts.

The tl was better than i thought for sure but I still think I'm going to pass. First that dreaded front shield is metal and when you tap it it feels almost like a shield. The tires on the car are a bit to fat and it kinda throws it off a bit. rims are ok and the chrome or matte piece in the back trunk at the bottom is not part of the trunk lid. Doors are nice. They close like a highend car and are solid more so than the 3g Tl. I did not like the fact that they are still using regular wiper blades. I thought that all the new cars got the single rubber wiper but I guess its no biggie. the overall look of the car is better in person and I urge everyone to look at the car first before passing judgment.
The inside was way better than the outside by far. Dome lights are now leds, seats are 10way for the driver and 8way for the passenger. Navi was great. The high res makes you forget its not touch screen and you have diff languages to choose from ( spanish and french). Sound system does sound bad ass. 10 speakers in this car does what they are suppose to. seats were comfy and the steering wheel is lighter for sure more than the 3g.
The tech package only gets 1 cd selection because of the fact it has the hard drive, and your able to rip to it:thumbsdow. The 5AT is great as far as gear changing. You almost don't feel it shifting,even in manual mode. As far as speed its betwwen the regular 3g and the type s for accel. Ac works alot better and the sync botton everyone was woundering about is really for the climate control. instead of dual its now sync. rear camera has a meter on it to show how close you are to an object and its alot clearer than the previous year.
I'm not an editor for a mag so excuse my writing. In all its a nice car but it still is missing alot in my book. The funny thing was that the sales guys agreed with me. its a nice car up close but it did not blow me away. And the Sh-awd will be at 44k+ with the tech and in mybook this car need more than what it has to get that money from me
AGREED!!

Thanks for the write up!

Here is my little story bout the TL:

I went down to my local dealer, to pick up some rear pads for my RL and the sales rep that I was talking to about the TL for the past month comes running out of his office yelling, "Kevin it's here, it's here!" He leads me out to it and the first thing I look for is the front grille, NOW, I was hating it before, A LOT, BUT it isn't THAT bad, it still isn't my cup of tea, but it is growing on me, and I imagine that the lighter silver color would look better on it. But it still is ugly. Then he asks me if I want to test drive it and I'm like YEA!! But to my disappointment the car didn't have a battery in it yet!! and nothing is ready for it to drive yet, tape all over the car, and the foam bumpers covering the entire car.

I asked him to get an '08 Accord from next door, and when he brings it over we spend 20 minutes saying how alike they are.. and well the rear lights are just

But as kobi2002 said, see it in person before you make your final decision, because it is a BIG difference. And the one I saw was a base model, no SH-AWD or Tech package.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ggesq
kobi- no pics?
I was trying to but the salesman was hurrying meup to get in and drive I have one of the inside but its not worth me putting it on. That hole that the key fobe goes in is a overide if your bat dies. You can start the car like that. i forgot to mention that
Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for sharing your impressions! ... But can you please explain what you meant by "sync" being for the climate control ("instead of dual...")?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLin05
Thanks for sharing your impressions! ... But can you please explain what you meant by "sync" being for the climate control ("instead of dual...")?
You know the dual botton for the dual climate control on the 3g TL? It makes the passengers set their temp diffrent from yours. Well the sync button you see on the interior shots has a sync button instead. Alot of people thought the sync button was for sync the ipod or somthing of that nature
Old 09-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

thanks dude- so SH-AWD expected to be at 44+ wheeewwwww- man- my test drive is the 23rd- thanks again, nice writeup-
Old 09-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ggesq
kobi- no pics?
I do have some from my Iphone but photobucket is not letting me upload them
Old 09-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jeowen
thanks dude- so SH-AWD expected to be at 44+ wheeewwwww- man- my test drive is the 23rd- thanks again, nice writeup-
I think the Sh-awd won't be around till nov 1 so right now all you get to drive is the frontwheel tech and non tech tl. At least it gives you a feel of what the car feels like.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Instructor

You know the dual botton for the dual climate control on the 3g TL? It makes the passengers set their temp diffrent from yours. Well the sync button you see on the interior shots has a sync button instead. Alot of people thought the sync button was for sync the ipod or somthing of that nature
OK thanks ... still don't understand how the term "sync" could apply to climate control, but I guess that's a good excuse to try and grab my own test drive! Still need to go in for the power steering and wiper motor recalls anyhow....
Old 09-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLin05
OK thanks ... still don't understand how the term "sync" could apply to climate control, but I guess that's a good excuse to try and grab my own test drive! Still need to go in for the power steering and wiper motor recalls anyhow....
I think sync means your sync'd with the pass with the climate i guess??????? But the steering on this car is better by far than the 3g. its not heavy if you know what i mean.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:43 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
SH-AWD with tech is $42k, not $44k.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Yes, only the HPT model with 19's is at 44K (actually its $43,235.00 plus D&H of $760), FWIW, you can get into a AWD model for $38,505 plus $760
Old 09-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Drifting

Are you saying that with the Tech Package, you only get a single CD player, rather than the 6 disc changer!? That was one of the things that really put me off of the G sedan! A 6 CD changer is so much better than a hard drive IMHO... I hope this is NOT the case here...
Old 09-22-2008, 09:04 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea, I guess Honda/Acura doesn't think you need a 6-disc cd changer if you have a hard drive.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ostrich
Are you saying that with the Tech Package, you only get a single CD player, rather than the 6 disc changer!? That was one of the things that really put me off of the G sedan! A 6 CD changer is so much better than a hard drive IMHO... I hope this is NOT the case here...
yep that right only 1 cd with the tech package
Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Racer

Thats what the salesman told me. In any case in my book the tl needs alittle more than what it has now to get 42k from me. But damn the insde was nice and comfy

Last edited by kobi2002; 09-22-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Drifting

Oh no!

Yea, I guess Honda/Acura doesn't think you need a 6-disc cd changer if you have a hard drive.
That is very annoying! Just like the G sedan with their navi package.... what is up with this!?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Racer

That is very annoying! Just like the G sedan with their navi package.... what is up with this!?
I said the same thing. The salesman agreed with me. I guess we will have to see what this car does in the next couple of months.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
The G has 6 CD changer, it is just in the trunk when you have Navi.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Drifting

Oh, that's right! It is in the trunk...

Originally Posted by KeithL
How backward is that, having the CD changer in the trunk!? How very 80's... LOL
Old 09-22-2008, 09:57 PM
2007 NBP TL Type S

I can't wait too see the new TL, I just hope that they fix the rear deck problems with all those rattles!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Koreandude007
I can't wait too see the new TL, I just hope that they fix the rear deck problems with all those rattles!
I turned up the bass and it was solid. I guess in time we will find out if its will hold
Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Thats what the salesman told me. In any case in my book the tl needs alittle more than what it has now to get 42k from me. But damn the insde was nice and comfy
Damn I wanna have a test drive too!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:55 AM
Intermediate

Totally understand, I was in the same predicament. Once you are there and caught up in the moment the last thing you are thinking about is snapping some pics. As I said in my first post on here, the car looks a lot better in person and while there is a lot of chrome it doesn't look quite so bad.

I was trying to but the salesman was hurrying meup to get in and drive I have one of the inside but its not worth me putting it on. That hole that the key fobe goes in is a overide if your bat dies. You can start the car like that. i forgot to mention that
Old 09-23-2008, 06:02 AM
Intermediate

At parking lot speeds the steering is very light. Turning the wheel requires very minimum effort. Hate to compare an Acura to anything GM makes (I know I am going to take a beating on this) but the steering at parking lot speeds is almost Buick-like. Though, as you drive it does firm up nicely. Having driven Maximas I will say this is a huge plus as its (Maxis) steering is firm even at parking lot speeds and its turn radius sucks.

I think sync means your sync'd with the pass with the climate i guess??????? But the steering on this car is better by far than the 3g. its not heavy if you know what i mean.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:19 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrtracey
At parking lot speeds the steering is very light. Turning the wheel requires very minimum effort. Hate to compare an Acura to anything GM makes (I know I am going to take a beating on this) but the steering at parking lot speeds is almost Buick-like. Though, as you drive it does firm up nicely. Having driven Maximas I will say this is a huge plus as its (Maxis) steering is firm even at parking lot speeds and its turn radius sucks.
The TL uses electric power steering now doesn't it?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
It's not as ugly in person as it is in pictures. However, its even more plain in person. The wheel/tire combo on the regular TL is boring. The interior is awesome. Push button start is nice too.

The optional lip kit for the TL also looks hideous -- especially the front.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jayunsplanet
It's not as ugly in person as it is in pictures. However, its even more plain in person. The wheel/tire combo on the regular TL is boring. The interior is awesome. Push button start is nice too.

The optional lip kit for the TL also looks hideous -- especially the front.
See its better in person but Thats it. The inside was nice
Old 09-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Yeah i test drove it too. Its pretty nice. I will still keep my RL but i do wanna test drive the SH model of the TL. The regular model has good power and feels real good but when you hit the pedal and you feel that torque stare its pretty scary. The goodies inside are sick though. I wish i could put all those features in my RL and i'd be all set with everything. I will just wait around til the 2010 model RL comes out. But the TL is a nice car. Looks nice in person. If i could afford a second car at that price i would get one.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:38 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Hmm interesting. I have an appointment for a power sterring fluid recall next week so i will definately test drive one while they are working on my 3G!!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Not any more. The 2009 G deletes the changers.

All the upscale brands are going in this direction, because many drivers seem to use Ipod and the like for music instead of CDs.

I think the real issue is that it is hard to fit a HD and a a six disc change in one dash.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Instructor

I just searched the Owners Manual that another member posted the link to, and you're absolutely right! "When you press this button, the indicator in the button comes on, and the passenger’s side temperature and mode control is synchronized to the driver’s side set temperature and mode control. Changing the passenger’s side temperature or mode control makes the indicator go off and takes the system out of SYNC mode." So I guess the bottom line is that the old DUAL (button with light) is now the default mode.

Last edited by TLin05; 09-23-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: formatting error
Old 09-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think the Sh-awd won't be around till nov 1 so right now all you get to drive is the frontwheel tech and non tech tl. At least it gives you a feel of what the car feels like.
Drove it today, and I was so pleased as I drove mine away from the dealership , although it was alot bigger than I pictured-I just cant get past the styling, and the rims are awful IMHO- like an Altima or something, I agree with your write up for the most part- and your right, we will get the SH Nov. 9-
Old 09-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fleshy
The TL uses electric power steering now doesn't it?
yep-

Quick Reply: Going to test drive the new tl right now