FWD owners do you feel regret not getting the SH-AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
FWD owners do you feel regret not getting the SH-AWD?

two things i wish my FWD TL has are SH-AWD's steering wheel and more sports tuned suspension. well, i guess Acura is reserving that for the type-s in the near future.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The only time I feel regretful is when it's snowing. Other than that it handles great, has decent balls, and is $100/month less than my last ride, which was AWD. When I priced the SH-AWD, it would have been $80 or so more per month, and I just didn't feel like spending that much. I don't feel any regret at all in the decision, aside from the aforementioned snow driving.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by kevTL888
two things i wish my FWD TL has are SH-AWD's steering wheel and more sports tuned suspension. well, i guess Acura is reserving that for the type-s in the near future.
Hopefully (if there ever is a Type-S) they will put more than a upgraded steering wheel and upgraded suspension in it.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I didn't care about AWD, but loved the handling and the steering wheel so opted for the AWD and have not looked back. I do wonder what a Type-S will look like. I wonder if they'l have a FWD and AWD Type-S or will they just do the AWD in Type-S? I expect the normal stuff in a Type-S , sportier ride, metal pedals, some enhanced lines on the fascia, side sills, and rear, some sportier wheels, beefier brakes? Some interiro sporty accent lighting, I miss the red highlights of my 08 Type-S. Not sure what else they can do for power train, maybe 6 spd Auto and a 3.9L 325HP?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I didn't care about AWD, but loved the handling and the steering wheel so opted for the AWD and have not looked back. I do wonder what a Type-S will look like. I wonder if they'l have a FWD and AWD Type-S or will they just do the AWD in Type-S? I expect the normal stuff in a Type-S , sportier ride, metal pedals, some enhanced lines on the fascia, side sills, and rear, some sportier wheels, beefier brakes? Some interiro sporty accent lighting, I miss the red highlights of my 08 Type-S. Not sure what else they can do for power train, maybe 6 spd Auto and a 3.9L 325HP?
the teaser photos of the new Acura "bmw X6" - included text that it would come w/ a 6 spd auto
Old 03-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
With the prices nowdays falling like a rock, there's very little reason now not to get the AWD model......even if you don't need AWD itself. For just a little more than the FWD Tech model, the AWD package gets you the nicer, thicker steering wheel, quad exhausts, contrast stitching on the seats, sports seats, sports tuned suspension, and the all-important 18" wheels and tires (over the ugly 17" wheels on the FWD models). Just upgrading the wheels and tires alone can set you back several grand, so the AWD package is an absolute frickin bargain! Also, I believe the AWD model will have a little better resale value over the FWD model come trade-in time esp. for those who live in the snow belt.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I were to pay for the AWD, I wouldve gotten a different car.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cornelius

So paying an extra $2K-3K more would've turned you off away from the TL? Please explain...
Old 03-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD all the way
Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Racer

my thought exactly. a bare booned new 335i sedan is only two three grand more away from a sh-awd. but anyways, i didn't buy my fwd to be a fun to drive car. basically it's an v6 accord with a ton of extra amentities for a very reasonable price. i'm going to let my wife drive this car eventually and get myself another toy.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:40 AM
Racer

I wanted a high performance car, but I got the TL because I get options and luxury at a price that no other car company can beat. I wouldnt have gotten a 4G TL if I had to pay 2-3k more.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:10 AM
Instructor

I wanted a high performance car, but I got the TL because I get options and luxury at a price that no other car company can beat. I wouldnt have gotten a 4G TL if I had to pay 2-3k more.
I got AWD + TECH just because i don't want to take the chances with the weathjer conditions here
Old 03-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Before we go off topic again, back to the OP, I don't have any regrets no. The AWD wasn't available yet, and I couldn't wait a month for it. Honestly, I don't care about FWD vs AWD anymore, as I went back to the dealership three times thinking about upgrading. FOR MY USES, an AWD is about as useful as 8-track tapes. The only thing I really care about is the rims. To me they make the car, and the stock 17" FWD rims I have are painful to look at. Sometimes it looks okay, but other times, P U. I don't care about the bolstered seats, white double stitching, fat steering wheel, quad exhausts, or the smaller front bottom reflectors, but the rims do suck ass.

Would I switch out for a AWD? Yes, but I'm not sorry for buying the FWD TL, the car is awesome on the inside, which is where I sit.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bmode
Before we go off topic again, back to the OP, I don't have any regrets no. The AWD wasn't available yet, and I couldn't wait a month for it. Honestly, I don't care about FWD vs AWD anymore, as I went back to the dealership three times thinking about upgrading. FOR MY USES, an AWD is about as useful as 8-track tapes. .
I was in the same position, but the AWD is not what transforms the car. The FWD and AWD are essentially 2 very different rides. Sure there are some bells and whistles that set them apart too, but at the end of the day the FWD is (IMO) very soft and the AWD is firm and sporty. And coming fomr a Type-S there was only 1 logical choice for me. I think the FWD from a ride perspective will hit Acura's goals, it truly drives like a very luxorious car and still handles decently.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KeithL
I was in the same position, but the AWD is not what transforms the car. The FWD and AWD are essentially 2 very different rides. Sure there are some bells and whistles that set them apart too, but at the end of the day the FWD is (IMO) very soft and the AWD is firm and sporty. And coming fomr a Type-S there was only 1 logical choice for me. I think the FWD from a ride perspective will hit Acura's goals, it truly drives like a very luxorious car and still handles decently.

You're exactly right Keith. AWD is what makes the 4G special in my opinion. It's not just for bad weather......Acura's SH-AWD is made for all weather and road conditions. Unlike the AWD systems in Audi, BMW and other brands, Acura's version actually makes the car handle better all around. Look at the track numbers and it proves how much better the AWD model performs over the FWD car. Acura's SH-AWD is what elevates the 4G to compete with the German sports sedans. You can bet when the upcoming Type-S comes around, it will have SH-AWD standard.......without it, the 4G is nothing more than an Accord V6 with a fancier suit.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
I have the AWD and I know that I would have felt regret if I had opted for the FWD back in October when I first test drove it. I waited, and the first time I drove it, I knew that I was walking out with it. In hindsight, I wished I would have waited a month later to pick up the tech package as well (I was either going with FWD/tech or AWD/base because of the price) because the AWD/tech is now about the same price as what I paid for the AWD/base.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PetesTL
You're exactly right Keith. AWD is what makes the 4G special in my opinion. It's not just for bad weather......Acura's SH-AWD is made for all weather and road conditions. Unlike the AWD systems in Audi, BMW and other brands, Acura's version actually makes the car handle better all around. Look at the track numbers and it proves how much better the AWD model performs over the FWD car. Acura's SH-AWD is what elevates the 4G to compete with the German sports sedans. You can bet when the upcoming Type-S comes around, it will have SH-AWD standard.......without it, the 4G is nothing more than an Accord V6 with a fancier suit.
oh please, you sounded like the TL Sh-AWD are some japanese import super car or something. it is made in usa just like the FWDs and the Accords, it is still front wheel biased, it still weighs almost two tons with a five speed auto. i bought my TL because i need a family car to replace my wife's Accord v6 and the price i got was hard to pass up (swear to god i would not speed only $35000 for any Acuras, well except a mint conditioned NSX), but no, i didn't buy it as a performance car even had i chosen the SH-AWD model. i understand those live on the east coast have no choice but opt for the AWD, but if you buy the AWD for its performance aspects, then, good luck with that.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

oh please, you sounded like the TL Sh-AWD are some japanese import super car or something. it is made in usa just like the FWDs and the Accords, it is still front wheel biased, it still weighs almost two tons with a five speed auto. i bought my TL because i need a family car to replace my wife's Accord v6 and the price i got was hard to pass up (swear to god i would not speed only $35000 for any Acuras, well except a mint conditioned NSX), but no, i didn't buy it as a performance car even had i chosen the SH-AWD model. i understand those live on the east coast have no choice but opt for the AWD, but if you buy the AWD for its performance aspects, then, good luck with that.
Let me ask you this.....have you test-driven the AWD model before you chose the FWD car? If you have, then I respect you're opinion. If you did not, then you don't know what you're talking about. I'll just leave it at that.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Racer

Let me ask you this.....have you test-driven the AWD model before you chose the FWD car? If you have, then I respect you're opinion. If you did not, then you don't know what you're talking about. I'll just leave it at that.

yes i did test drive both back to back. maybe because i came from a bmw 535i, i felt the two TL models were quite similar except the thick steering wheel on the SH-AWD which i liked very much, but other than that and a little more engine sound from the AWD, i didn't really notice much other differences. the five speed auto really turned me off, had the SH-AWD offers 6 speed auto, i'd jump on it right away. i just wouldn't justify spending 38k(with discount) on an heavy AWD sedan(which i don't need here in cali) with an outdated five speed tranny. since i only paid 33,3XX for my FWD tech, when acura does indeed comes out a s-type, it'll make my decision a lot easier to do the upgrade.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

yes i did test drive both back to back. maybe because i came from a bmw 535i, i felt the two TL models were quite similar except the thick steering wheel on the SH-AWD which i liked very much, but other than that and a little more engine sound from the AWD, i didn't really notice much other differences. the five speed auto really turned me off, had the SH-AWD offers 6 speed auto, i'd jump on it right away. i just wouldn't justify spending 38k(with discount) on an heavy AWD sedan(which i don't need here in cali) with an outdated five speed tranny. since i only paid 33,3XX for my FWD tech, when acura does indeed comes out a s-type, it'll make my decision a lot easier to do the upgrade.
Ok, I accept that....... For me, when I test-drove the 2 models, it was a night-and-day difference. (I also came from a BMW--a 545i). The FWD rode and handled ok.....decent but nothing special. The AWD car, however, felt much more balanced and sportier......it took off much more smoothly and handled curves and dips in the road with a lot more confidance (on wet or dry pavement). To me it was a lot more fun-to-drive car than the FWD version. For me it was a no-brainer.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Ok, I accept that....... For me, when I test-drove the 2 models, it was a night-and-day difference. (I also came from a BMW--a 545i). The FWD rode and handled ok.....decent but nothing special. The AWD car, however, felt much more balanced and sportier......it took off much more smoothly and handled curves and dips in the road with a lot more confidance (on wet or dry pavement). To me it was a lot more fun-to-drive car than the FWD version. For me it was a no-brainer.
This was my thoughts exactly. If I were given a choice between purchasing a heavy FWD sedan or a heavy AWD sedan, I'd choose the latter.

Did anyone ever checkout Car & Driver's performance numbers for the TL SH-AWD? While acceleration was so-so, handling and brake performance is comparable to top sports sedans.

.91g lateral acceleration... 60 to 0 in 117 ft. Not bad for a car that's nearly 4000 lbs.

Last edited by evocative; 03-17-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

What is different about the steering wheel? The AWD looks exactly like my TL /w Tech. Or am I missing something?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:57 PM
4th Gear

Exclamation

I traded a 09TL FWD+tech for an 09TL AWD+tech. I can tell you guys the ride is totally different and I'm glad I did it and got a sweet deal too.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nberardi
What is different about the steering wheel? The AWD looks exactly like my TL /w Tech. Or am I missing something?
The AWD car has a thicker steering wheel than the FWD. (It also has indents at the 9 O'clock and 3 O' clock positions). It also has contrast stitching.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Racer

The differences between the two..
AWD has:
AWD : The weather is almost always sunny here. Also, FWD is not too bad for irregular weather. I dont need it..
steering wheel: cant really say I care too much
seat stitching: cant say I care about this either
tighter suspension: I was going to get coilovers to lower the car anyways. There is a sizeable gap between fender and wheel for both cars.
18" rims: Not bad, but still 19" or 20" fit this car better. Im probably going to sell the stocks and get lightweight 19" gold or hyperblack rims
bigger engine: There's around 26 more horsepower but it also weighs like 300lbs more.
quad exhaust: cant say I care. It shouldve been one on top of the other like the 2010 NSX.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:58 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Hate to ruin everyone's AWD party here, but I absolutely hated the AWD car when I drove it. I found it rode like a Mack truck. It jarred you over even the slightest road imperfections, the steering was artificially heavy and the engine sound was intrusive. And when rolling along the car felt heavy. Hard to define that quality, but you always felt you had to keep your foot in the gas to keep it rolling along. Kind of like the AWD mechanics were slowing the car down. I hated it so much I almost went to another kind of car (Audi A4). Then I test drove the FWD model and it was instant love. NO torque steer whatsoever, Lexus-like silence inside, the seats were MUCH more comfortable than the AWD seats (that were far too heavily bolstered laterally) and the steering was weighted just perfectly. It was an instant sale. The only time I might possibly miss the AWD would be in a snow storm.

I'll bet that the FWD car is every bit as fast as the AWD car off a stoplight, too. Like I said, the AWD car felt very heavy and "nimble" would be the last word I would think of to describe it.

OK guys, blast away.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 03-17-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychDoc
OK guys, blast away.

=)
Old 03-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Hate to ruin everyone's AWD party here, but I absolutely hated the AWD car when I drove it. I found it rode like a Mack truck. It jarred you over even the slightest road imperfections, the steering was artificially heavy and the engine sound was intrusive. And when rolling along the car felt heavy. Hard to define that quality, but you always felt you had to keep your foot in the gas to keep it rolling along. Kind of like the AWD mechanics were slowing the car down. I hated it so much I almost went to another kind of car (Audi A4). Then I test drove the FWD model and it was instant love. NO torque steer whatsoever, Lexus-like silence inside, the seats were MUCH more comfortable than the AWD seats (that were far too heavily bolstered laterally) and the steering was weighted just perfectly. It was an instant sale. The only time I might possibly miss the AWD would be in a snow storm.

I'll bet that the FWD car is every bit as fast as the AWD car off a stoplight, too. Like I said, the AWD car felt very heavy and "nimble" would be the last word I would think of to describe it.

OK guys, blast away.

Depends on what you are used to, I suspect people coming from LExus and such with softer rides will hate the AWD drive, but I came from 08 Type-S which I loved and the AWD is fimrer, yet more compliant. I felt the FWD was loose and hard to control, again since I came form a Type-S that was more precise and firm. Honeslty both $G models are large and feel it, much more so that my 08 Type-S was. That to me is the biggest drawback of the 4G, it rides too big.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Speaking of the ride quality, Acura dealers jack up tire pressure (for some reason) to 40PSI, even though this car should drive with 32PSI... Once the pressure is lowered it drives much softer.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Another pointless jibberish thread going nowhere, which proves the point, people love to argue!
Old 03-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hypno999
Speaking of the ride quality, Acura dealers jack up tire pressure (for some reason) to 40PSI, even though this car should drive with 32PSI... Once the pressure is lowered it drives much softer.
Yep, my tire pressure was at 40 PSI when I took delivery.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Actually I just read this somewhere, the plant inflates the tires to 40+ PSI when new to prevent flot spotting if cars sit on the lot for extended period, the dealer pre-delivery list is supposed to re-adjuest them back down. I always wondered why so many cars I bought had over infated tires....
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

the tire pressure sticker on my SH-AWD says 37 front and 32 rear
Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Another pointless jibberish thread going nowhere, which proves the point, people love to argue!
you could start the "anyone buy the AWD car and wish they bought the FWD?" - jk

sometimes I wish it had the magnetically adjustable shocks like some vettes - anyone here have an mdx sport w/ that option? does it give you the best of both worlds? cush when you want it and sport when you want?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by crxb
you could start the "anyone buy the AWD car and wish they bought the FWD?" - jk

sometimes I wish it had the magnetically adjustable shocks like some vettes - anyone here have an mdx sport w/ that option? does it give you the best of both worlds? cush when you want it and sport when you want?
Adjustable shocks would be nice.....but it's just another gadget that will raise the price.....and you know how price sensitive Acura buyers are.

I find the ride on my AWD to be very "BMW-like".....firm, yet soaks up most bumps without a lot of drama.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Instructor

Mine are at 40 as well for tire pressures, but it drives fine so I guess i should just leave it?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

37 and 40 PSI, isn't that too high?

Good one CR!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:22 AM
Instructor

37 and 40 PSI, isn't that too high?

Good one CR!
Mine is all 37-40...should i be concerned?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

I got no clue, that's why I'm asking? It thought 32 was the magic PSI number.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by crxb
the tire pressure sticker on my SH-AWD says 37 front and 32 rear
I beleive that is becasue of the HPT, the regular AWD is 32 or 33 all around.

Quick Reply: FWD owners do you feel regret not getting the SH-AWD?