Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flashers

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:01 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashers

My old car (Maxima) had headlights that partly wrapped around the side of the car. When I put on my turn signal, another light came on illuminating the side (corner) where I was turning. I miss this feature. I was wondering if I could wire a hideaway light (without the strobe) in the side mirrors. How are the turn signals wired? I was thinking maybe there was a + wire, - wire, and a traveler wire. I was wondering if I could just tap into the pos and neg wires... Does anyone have any experience with this? Only the orange turn signal in the front of the car partly wraps around the side of the vehicle so it seems that the side mirror is the only option to light up the corner. I really didn't want to mount anything to the outside of the car.

I live in a town with some narrow country roads and as you approach a turn, with the headlights facing forward, you lose sight of the road until you actually start turning the vehicle. A lot of people don't understand. I get a lot of... "Why do you need that?" Think of a hairpin turn or a narrow "U" turn on a dark night. High beams help but only a little. I love the car but I really need a solution.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Vin
2013 Acura TL (newly acquired)
Old 04-20-2018, 10:54 PM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
I can't answer your question as to if it can be done. But I agree there are times when it would be nice if the headlights could swivel.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Maybe not the solution you are looking for but many members who have modded their headlights have taken out the Amber reflector. If you do that and replace the stock mini halogen with a bright enough LED for the side marker, you will have more illumination. When the Amber marker covers are removed there is a highly reflective chrome housing that remains.
Also replacing the Original clouded projector Lens with the TSX R clear lens will give you more output from your stock low beam and possibly a wider beam..

Might be more work than you are looking to do, you will have to remove the bumper, grill and headlights, bake them open, then reseal and reinstall.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:01 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies

KarKraze I didn't realize that was just a reflector. I thought that was the amber flasher for the front of the car.
I just checked and those amber lights don't light when I turn on the "turn signals" or the "hazard lights" (it sorta looks like there in a bulb in there for something though).

That looks like the perfect place to put in the light.
I talked to the dealer and they said that they wouldn't do that kind of work. I went to a Custom Truck place where they jack up trucks and put in all kinds of lights but they said that wasn't something they could do on the car.
I got the impression that the modifications are common on trucks but seldom if ever done on cars.

So... I think I'm on my own unless someone knows a place in New England that they recommend.
My next question: How would I wire them? I read that the flasher relay is actually at the fuse box so tapping into the turn signal wire (before the flasher relay) doesn't seem to be an option...
Old 04-23-2018, 05:58 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Flashers-armabp9.jpg

Actually, the side marker will light up with your Park Lights. It is not a flasher or turn signal and will come on when you turn on your headlights. Wiring would not be an issue as it will be on the Stock switch.
If you are brave enough you can tackle this on your own but if you do it wrong it will be costly. Our headlights are not cheap.

Do some research, if you need pointers I would be willing to help. The pic above is my car with the Amber Lens removed. I am currently doing a completely different Mod to the Headlights but will leave the side as is.