EPS Failure

Old 09-12-2018, 11:51 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EPS Failure

Just had my EPS module fail on my 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance. 92,500 miles
Acura customer service just informed me that the repair will NOT be covered under goodwill since I purchased the car used.
Seems like a bull answer for catastrophic failure of a crucial component. I had to drive home 280 miles and then out to my closest dealership, 380 miles.
Cost to repair is in excess of $1100. I have never had a vehicle that had a total power steering failure.
I have owned a Honda since 1886, continuously since 1991, they are the only car in my garage. Between my sons and I we have owned 10 Honda’s. I put 250,000 on my 91 accord with only normal maintenance.

i asked the CSR how many EPS failures have occurred on my model. He of course did not have that info. Expecting a call back from the district manager. I will proceed from there. Might email the NHTSA.

I would love to hear about the number of EPS failures from this group.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
searching on google with the tag "site:acurazine.com" will yield all the threads that talk about eps failure:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8

spoiler alert: There's a lot
The following users liked this post:
montanadiver4 (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 12:16 PM
6th Gear

I just sent this back to customer relations.

This is my original concern that I sent to you on Monday, September 9, 2018 under case #08976350. There seems to be no information in this concern. Your website states that I will receive an email back confirming receipt of the concern. I sent it 5 times. When I spoke to one of your representatives, he said it was blank and that for this type of issue, I would need to call the care line. That is counter to what your website states. You need to get on the same page!
The following is what I wrote initially.

I live in Montana and chose the Acura TL Advance SH-AWD as my car to use for traveling in my work. It has performed well until August 17th when the EPS failed. I was approximately 280 miles from home when the power steering failed. I have had to use my backup car for the past several weeks until i was able to visit my closest Acura dealer in Spokane WA. I have had to fight the car sans power steering for 700 miles to get the bad news that the EPS module has failed. The part and labor to replace is over $1100. The part has been ordered and I am awaiting it’s arrival so I can go back home. Automation Acura has always been a great place for service, however I am aghast that a part so intricate to the safe operation of an Acura would fail in less than 6 years of usage.
This vehicle was purchased to allow me to travel throughout Montana in the winter season. It replaced my Honda Accord coupe. Over the years, my wife and I have owned 5 Honda’s and my sons have owned an additional 5 Honda’s. We have he’d great confidence in the Honda brand since 1985 with the first Honda that was purchased. We had only had 2 years without owning a Honda.
I realize that the vehicle is no longer in warranty, however I am requesting assistance due to the extremely high cost of the part and the difficulty of replacing the part. The catastrophic failure of the part within a short period of time alarms me.
I did not provide the VIN number. If needed, you can contact Autonation at 509-590-1266.
Please feel free to contact me via email or call my cell.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Your quote for repair is ridiculously high...

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...ailure-952083/

Repair was completed at a local Acura dealer for half that cost.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Just to confirm, this failure was the module, not the actual rack right?
Old 09-22-2018, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by montanadiver4
Just had my EPS module fail on my 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance. 92,500 miles
Acura customer service just informed me that the repair will NOT be covered under goodwill since I purchased the car used.
Seems like a bull answer for catastrophic failure of a crucial component. I had to drive home 280 miles and then out to my closest dealership, 380 miles.
Cost to repair is in excess of $1100. I have never had a vehicle that had a total power steering failure.
I have owned a Honda since 1886, continuously since 1991, they are the only car in my garage. Between my sons and I we have owned 10 Honda’s. I put 250,000 on my 91 accord with only normal maintenance.

i asked the CSR how many EPS failures have occurred on my model. He of course did not have that info. Expecting a call back from the district manager. I will proceed from there. Might email the NHTSA.

I would love to hear about the number of EPS failures from this group.
Mine failed a few months ago. I totally agree - $1,000 for a small control box is outrageous, but I really didn't have a choice since there are no aftermarket options.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by losiglow
My failure was the EPS module, the part number and information is in the thread I linked to.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:18 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by losiglow
It was the module.

i did contact the NTSB. Perhaps if enough owners complain, Acura will be forced to step up and address the problem. Glad mine happened when I started rather than when I was driving.

Dennis
Old 09-26-2018, 09:34 AM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by montanadiver4

It was the module.

i did contact the NTSB. Perhaps if enough owners complain, Acura will be forced to step up and address the problem. Glad mine happened when I started rather than when I was driving.

Dennis
They'e been a known common failure for quite a while. Given how they've (not) handled the oil consumption problems, I'm pessimistic. :-(
Old 09-26-2018, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

How are you guys determining this is a known/common failure?

There's a fraction of posts in comparison to the oil burning issues. I don't think it's common at all.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:27 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Is the module easy to replace? I know it's pricey but it's not like replacing the whole rack assembly right? I've got a lot of miles on my 4G. Crossing my fingers so far but I plan on keeping it as long as possible and practically planning on this eventually happening. Figure I might as well get whatever info I can so when it happens I can tackle it without too much trouble.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:39 AM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
How are you guys determining this is a known/common failure?

There's a fraction of posts in comparison to the oil burning issues. I don't think it's common at all.
I don't know. Google, I guess. Informal survey.

When I was car shopping last year, I just did a search for "2012 Acura TL common problems" and read the first couple pages of results. Mostly forum threads, a few here. Of course, you ignore people complaining about things that are going to fail on every car, especially when driven hard ("OMG the OEM tires suck!", or "I burned through my brake pads in 7k miles!" and stuff like that.) But having driven a few cars for a few miles, I know the normal stuff that goes wrong and can keep an eye out for stuff that's weird.

The EPS failures and transmission reprogramming came up more than once. People w/ SH-AWD models mentioned torque converter and oil burning issues multiple times too. I work in IT so I hate to admit it, but automotive electronics are usually pretty reliable. At least up through about 10 years of age. A bunch of people with the same electronics failure is usually meaningful.

It's not foolproof - the one "known" problem I've actually had with the car so far (the transmission filter issue - there's TSB on it) was something I didn't learn about that way. So I don't mean to sound like I'm picking on you for now knowing, I'm just saying I don't think Acura has a "make it right" mentality.

FWIW, I think we're still better off w/r/t bad design decisions than anybody with a 2007 Focus. I had one: the exhaust manifold and the alternator were way too close together, which meant the alternators would get cooked to death regularly. But anyway, I figure every model of car has some weird thing about it, if you keep it long enough to notice.