Notices

Denied on oil consumption

Old 06-24-2019, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denied on oil consumption

Hello, I have a 2009 Tl 3.7L with approx 179K miles. I took it into Acura for the oil consumption test. My first result burned over a quart, and the last two were all over the place on the results. Acuras response to the results were that they were normal for the year and milage. Looking back I should have checked if they overfilled when they were doing the last two tests. Has anyone ever taken it back for a retest? I know i'll have to pay for the oil change again, but wasn't sure if it was even an option once Acura has had their say.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Received 775 Likes on 549 Posts
I don't know the specifics of the oil consumption / engine replacement issue on the 3.7L. I have the 3.5 FWD so I haven't had to address it. However, if they treat it on a case-by-case basis, I can see why they'd deny it. It's a 10 year old car pushing 200K miles. Even with oil change receipts, oil consumption for that many miles could be considered normal.

You could ask them if there'd be any any chance of Acura reconsidering if you were to have them change the oil then monitor again. But most of the engine replacement/rebuilds I've seen on here were with TL's with <100K miles.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
The letter said that for a 6 month period acura would fix all 3.7 that have excessive oil consumption regardless of age or mileage. So if you started the test in that window then how old it is or how many miles it has shouldn't be relevant. I'm afraid it either burnt enough oil to qualify or it didn't.

Doubt they will let you have another go at it. You should have ensured it burnt a lot, especially more and more over time.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got talking to a tech in my local Acura dealer last month. I gave him enough compliments and praises that he finally let out some info on this oil consumption issue. He said that they will take all 4th gen TLs between 60K and 125K according to Honda (Acura). He also let out that the “unofficial” limit for mileage is 150K for the original owners. The latter may be on a dealer by dealer basis. They first perform an oil consumption test and if it loses over 1 quart of oil every 1k miles you will qualify. If they proceed with the service, the piston rings on the compression side will be replaced. A big job indeed.

Last advice he shared with me was to keep all service receipts! From the moment the oil consumption is verified as excessive Acura will be on a one track mission to deny any warranty or goodwill claim. Any gap or lack of service/maintenance history will be scrutinized and used to bat away anyone who tries to get their compression rings replaced. The technician also warned that they often come back for the same issue after getting new piston rings. He has seen many come in up to 3 times to get new rings!

I’m one of the lucky ones whose TL does not burn oil. I’m not trying to discourage you or be negative. I’m just sharing what I learned from the people who work on these cars every day. If I were on your shoes, I’d fight to get this warranty work performed even with 200K!!
The following users liked this post:
echodigital (06-25-2019)