Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dealer Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dealer Service

I do my own maintance. However, I'm wondering. When does one really go into the dealership for a oil change?

Because if we wait for the MM, then it's always an A1, A1,2, B1, etc, etc.

And the dealership would say....This is how much for the B1 Service Package. That's what you need.

So there is never just an oil change, right? It's always an oil change + other services according to the dealer.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:05 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD Advance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Below is the break down... I've yet to have it come up without an A or a B + something else.

Maintenance Minder A:
Replace engine oil*
*: If the message "SERVICE DUE NOW" does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.

Maintenance Minder B:
Replace engine oil* and oil filter
Inspect front and rear brakes
Check parking brake adjustment
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
Inspect suspension components
Inspect driveshaft boots
Inspect brake hoses and line (including ABS/VSA)
Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
Inspect exhaust system#
Inspect fuel lines and connections#
*: If the message "SERVICE DUE NOW" does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.
#: See information on maintenance and emissions warranty on page 538 of your owner's manual.

Maintenance Minder 1:
Rotate tires

Maintenance Minder 2:
Replace air cleaner element
If you drive in dusty conditions, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
Replace dust and pollen filter
If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
Inspect drive belt

Maintenance Minder 3:
Replace transmission and transfer fluid

Maintenance Minder 4:
Replace spark plugs
Replace timing belt and inspect water pump
If you drive regularly in very high temperatures (over 110°F, 43°C), or in very low temperatures (under -20°F, -29°C), replace every 60,000 miles (U.S.)/ 100,000 km (Canada).
Inspect valve clearance

Maintenance Minder 5:
Replace engine coolant

Maintenance Minder 6:
Replace rear differential fluid
Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher level of mechanical (shear) stress to fluid. This requires differential fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the differential fluid changed at 7,500 miles (12,000 km), then every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
Old 04-08-2011, 06:36 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by cabanalane
I do my own maintance. However, I'm wondering. When does one really go into the dealership for a oil change?

And the dealership would say....This is how much for the B1 Service Package. That's what you need.

So there is never just an oil change, right? It's always an oil change + other services according to the dealer.
I have all the service done on my 06 tsx by acura dealers. I have no knowledge or desire to do it myself. I follow the maintenance minder and most of the time only a oil change needs to be done (A1) The dealer does change the filter each time. The dealer I try to go to in Pa never tries to sell me unneeded service. My car now has almost 121K miles.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I'm lucky-my dealership (Jay Wolfe Acura-Kansas City) gives free oil changes for the life of the car.

2011 National AcuraZine Meet-Kansas City-June 12, 2011-Details Here!

Old 04-10-2011, 12:46 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I'm lucky-my dealership (Jay Wolfe Acura-Kansas City) gives free oil changes for the life of the car.

2011 National AcuraZine Meet-Kansas City-June 12, 2011-Details Here!

I am lucky also-I either get free oil change, tire rotations, or other service free or at a nice discount.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:00 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I am lucky also-I either get free oil change, tire rotations, or other service free or at a nice discount.
That is awesome I wish my dealership had that.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Just a word here. Regarding self oil changes and required maintenance. Having worked in auto dealerships for over 20 years, I've seen first hand how car makers look at warranty claims that effect the engine and transmission. One of the things the factory reps want to see is the maintenance records of the car. If the work is done at the dealership, then everything is right there and there is not an issue. However, for do-it-yourselfer, then some problems can arise. Be sure you keep all of your receipts for the purchase of oil, filters, ect. These have to be real receipts, not something on a piece of notebook paper. If you have the oil changes done elsewhere, again, keep the receipts. You as an owner can have work done anywhere. One does not have to take their car to the dealership for maintenance items. Just make sure you can prove the work was done at the correct interval. I have never seen a claim turned down if the car was serviced at the dealership except on the rare occasion that the work was done considerably out of the mileage requirements (with an Acura, the mileage all depends on how the car is driven so it's not so much of an issue). I have seen a number of claims rejected because the owners could not prove the maintenance was done by themselves.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:17 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Linmk2
Just a word here. Regarding self oil changes and required maintenance. Having worked in auto dealerships for over 20 years, I've seen first hand how car makers look at warranty claims that effect the engine and transmission. One of the things the factory reps want to see is the maintenance records of the car. If the work is done at the dealership, then everything is right there and there is not an issue. However, for do-it-yourselfer, then some problems can arise. Be sure you keep all of your receipts for the purchase of oil, filters, ect. These have to be real receipts, not something on a piece of notebook paper. If you have the oil changes done elsewhere, again, keep the receipts. You as an owner can have work done anywhere. One does not have to take their car to the dealership for maintenance items. Just make sure you can prove the work was done at the correct interval. I have never seen a claim turned down if the car was serviced at the dealership except on the rare occasion that the work was done considerably out of the mileage requirements (with an Acura, the mileage all depends on how the car is driven so it's not so much of an issue). I have seen a number of claims rejected because the owners could not prove the maintenance was done by themselves.

Before we own the tsx we did not take our other cars to a dealership for service. We did keep all the records but never were asked to show them when any warranty work needed to done.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Before we own the tsx we did not take our other cars to a dealership for service. We did keep all the records but never were asked to show them when any warranty work needed to done.
I do need to explain in more detail. The records only come into play in large internal/transmission problems. On normal warranty claims, say a bad power window motor, the factory rep would never become involved because to dealership does not need prior approval for most items. The factory does have to approve large claims. Those are the ones that the records come in handy.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Free for life here at RT Acura in Portland, OR as well.
Who has time to deal with an oil change, I don't even have enough free time to mow the grass.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:10 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
I do need to explain in more detail. The records only come into play in large internal/transmission problems. On normal warranty claims, say a bad power window motor, the factory rep would never become involved because to dealership does not need prior approval for most items. The factory does have to approve large claims. Those are the ones that the records come in handy.
Not just for Honda/Acura. This applies to almost all car makes. The last thing you want is when car dealerships refuse to honor or when headquarters to void your warranty, simply because they claim that you haven't performed the required scheduled maintenance by having no records of such.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by cabanalane

When you go to the dealer (or anywhere for that matter) for routine maint, YOU tell them what you want. Be clear.

If you're MID says "A1", but you want Oil, Filter and Tire Rotation, YOU tell them, they do the work.

It's YOUR car. YOU decide the maint you want done. If want to do some at the shop and some DIY, that's YOUR decision and perfectly acceptable.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:12 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD Advance

Originally Posted by bearcat94
when you go to the dealer (or anywhere for that matter) for routine maint, you tell them what you want. Be clear.

If you're mid says "a1", but you want oil, filter and tire rotation, you tell them, they do the work.

It's your car. You decide the maint you want done. If want to do some at the shop and some diy, that's your decision and perfectly acceptable.
+1
Old 04-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i go to the dealership for nothing except for warranty work....
Old 04-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RedHOT
Below is the break down... I've yet to have it come up without an A or a B + something else.
I didn't quote the whole reply to save space. Can someone tell me the order it would go? Because of DIY, and I do it early and reset it early, I don't know what's coming up.

I'm at 17,000 miles and oil at 50%. I had two DIY oil changes. So it was reset twice. I'm going to be on my 3rd oil change.

Yes, I've done the rotation, air filter, etc, etc.

So will I be expecting A1 next? When does B comes in? Can someone tell me the order?

I will assume 3,4,5,6 comes in sometime after 30K+.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

Sorry guys. I don't have a TL. I have 2010 Pilot AWD. Still Honda Family...

I am planning to change my engine oil, oil filter/Engine Air Filter myself.. Transmission and VTM-4, I will do it with the dealer..

It is important not to reset the MM if you do DIY. If you reset it, It is possible you might not see other codes...
Old 04-15-2011, 11:48 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
i go to the dealership for nothing except for warranty work....
Hopefully you have a good relationship with your service advisor.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:08 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
I finally got the A1 MM this morning for the first oil change. Called my dealer to make an appointment since oil changes are free. They told me the oil change is free, the tire rotation and balance is $61 with tax. I had to start laughing. I might not know a lot about cars, but I know several places near me include that free with an oil change or will do a rotation and balance for $20. Going to talk to my service rep when I go in, if they try to keep it at the $61 I will just take it to the tire shop a mile from my house.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:21 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by blkhwkz
I finally got the A1 MM this morning for the first oil change. Called my dealer to make an appointment since oil changes are free. They told me the oil change is free, the tire rotation and balance is $61 with tax. I had to start laughing. I might not know a lot about cars, but I know several places near me include that free with an oil change or will do a rotation and balance for $20. Going to talk to my service rep when I go in, if they try to keep it at the $61 I will just take it to the tire shop a mile from my house.
The dealer near me in NC charges $20.00 for tire rotation but for tire rotation/balance they charge $60.00.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
can i bring my own oil (lets just say mobile 1 fully synthetic) and just tell them to use this oil and have them charge me labor and filter?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:07 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by potmilkz
can i bring my own oil (lets just say mobile 1 fully synthetic) and just tell them to use this oil and have them charge me labor and filter?
I would suggest you call the dealer-some do and some do not/
Old 04-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Hopefully you have a good relationship with your service advisor.
dude, i could care less about my service advisor...if my car needs warranty work, it will get warranty work, end of story...i take care of everything that needs taken care of...
Old 04-19-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
does the service light (lets say b1) go away after you do just a regular oil change by yourself?
Old 04-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
no u have to reset the maintenance minder which is pretty easy to do
Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
When you go to the dealer (or anywhere for that matter) for routine maint, YOU tell them what you want. Be clear.

If you're MID says "A1", but you want Oil, Filter and Tire Rotation, YOU tell them, they do the work.

It's YOUR car. YOU decide the maint you want done. If want to do some at the shop and some DIY, that's YOUR decision and perfectly acceptable.
^^this. for any "A" service...ask for the oil change not the "A" service. oil change $40, tire rotation $20. "A" service...$120+ rotation $20= $160. that's one expensive oil change.

know what your car needs before going into the dealer and you won't get fleeced. read your owner's manual for the maintenance items and just be smart when going to the dealer. i've read too many rants about people getting fleeced by the dealer b/c they said yes to the "recommended" services the dealer tries to sell you. don't bitch if you said yes and later find out you spent too much. knowledge is power.

i have a 3G TL with 53K miles, still have yet to see "3, 4, 5, 6". the one for timing belt i won't see for a while (at 105K). i might see the "3" in the next year or so is my guess, or not.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^does any one know about time constraints on the belt?
I just hit 42k the other day, and the car is not a daily driver.

it'll take me about 30years to hit 105k
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
^^this. for any "A" service...ask for the oil change not the "A" service. oil change $40, tire rotation $20. "A" service...$120+ rotation $20= $160. that's one expensive oil change.

know what your car needs before going into the dealer and you won't get fleeced. read your owner's manual for the maintenance items and just be smart when going to the dealer. i've read too many rants about people getting fleeced by the dealer b/c they said yes to the "recommended" services the dealer tries to sell you. don't bitch if you said yes and later find out you spent too much. knowledge is power.

i have a 3G TL with 53K miles, still have yet to see "3, 4, 5, 6". the one for timing belt i won't see for a while (at 105K). i might see the "3" in the next year or so is my guess, or not.
that depends on the dealer-When I can not get to my regular dealer in PA I take my car to the dealer near me in NC. After I tell them what I want they will always come back to me after the see the code on the MM. I usually turn them down- they are more expensive than the pa dealer. The Pa dealers also never tries to sell me unneeded service. My 06 tsx has 121K+ miles. This female loves to drive.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:21 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I nver go to the dealer unless I have to. That being said, you need to make sure your keep good records and receipts or if you have a garage you go to they should have all your maintence logged into their computer in the event you need records of what has been done to the car.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:09 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

that depends on the dealer-When I can not get to my regular dealer in PA I take my car to the dealer near me in NC. After I tell them what I want they will always come back to me after the see the code on the MM. I usually turn them down- they are more expensive than the pa dealer. The Pa dealers also never tries to sell me unneeded service. My 06 tsx has 121K+ miles. This female loves to drive.
well they obviously haven't figured out that there are some of us "girls" that actually know a thing or two about our cars. yeah mine just said A2. i told my SA, oil change, brake fluid flush (which i needed) and no wash, thank you. of course i have a great relationship with my SA. i just swapped my CAI filter and i bought the cabin filter for DIY when i get the chance (there is my "2"). he's like "no problem." he can go upsell the soccer mom pulling up in her MDX.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:12 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace
^does any one know about time constraints on the belt?
I just hit 42k the other day, and the car is not a daily driver.

it'll take me about 30years to hit 105k
this is something i have always wondered. i've read a few threads on the issue, but no definitive answer.

may ask my SA about this one just for curiousity and see what he says. i won't hit 105K for another 6 years at the rate i'm going...which means the car will be 12 years old.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:55 PM
it's a car-drive it

this is something i have always wondered. i've read a few threads on the issue, but no definitive answer.

may ask my SA about this one just for curiousity and see what he says. i won't hit 105K for another 6 years at the rate i'm going...which means the car will be 12 years old.

I think if cracks start appearing then it is time to change the timing belt. I think they dry out with age. Just keep an eye on it. Oh-I am good friends with the service manager so I deal with him
Old 04-21-2011, 07:14 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

I think if cracks start appearing then it is time to change the timing belt. I think they dry out with age. Just keep an eye on it. Oh-I am good friends with the service manager so I deal with him
well that always helps! what's up with the TL in your avatar?? you own a TSX. loaner??

i just had a 2012 TL loaner with tech. nice ride, though i still can't get past the looks...yeah the 2012 looks better, but i'm not ready to run out and get one just yet.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:58 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
dude, i could care less about my service advisor...if my car needs warranty work, it will get warranty work, end of story...i take care of everything that needs taken care of...
That's great. What I'm saying is, if you have a good relationship with your advisor they'll be more willing to go to bat more often then someone who just comes in demanding things.

Goodwill work comes to mind too. You build a relationship with them, they're more inclined to work with you. End of story.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:55 AM
it's a car-drive it

That's great. What I'm saying is, if you have a good relationship with your advisor they'll be more willing to go to bat more often then someone who just comes in demanding things.

Goodwill work comes to mind too. You build a relationship with them, they're more inclined to work with you. End of story.
I agree: The warranty on my 06 tsx expired when the car was 18 months old (50,000 miles) Goodwill on some things now-end of story

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 04-22-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
well that always helps! what's up with the TL in your avatar?? you own a TSX. loaner??

i just had a 2012 TL loaner with tech. nice ride, though i still can't get past the looks...yeah the 2012 looks better, but i'm not ready to run out and get one just yet.
LOL good eye, I PM'd her about it!
Old 04-22-2011, 02:38 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

I agree: The warranty on my 06 tsx expired when the car was 18 months old (50,000 miles) Goodwill on some things now-end of story
^^^these. good things. it pays to have a good relationship with not only your dealer, but a service advisor that you work with consistently. good will work, fix it advice, actual honest advice and recommendations...don't be too quick to discount the service advisor (@vinnier6). mine has managed to give me some good recommendations on how to deal with certain things on my car with no expectation of making money off me. this is one of the many reasons why i have preferred to exclusively work with him. he knows my anal tendencies with the car, takes care of it while its under his care, and treats me well. so is that worth the extra bucks for that kind of treatment?? to me yes. we all value different things in our life, its a matter what its worth to you.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:37 AM
Intermediate

thats not too bad. my 2006 camry v6 have 215,000 miles.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
You as an owner can have work done anywhere. One does not have to take their car to the dealership for maintenance items.
Let me be perfectly honest, here.

I do not have the time to take my car to the dealer for an A1 service that is going to take three hours to perform.

I'm going to go somewhere that it takes less than half an hour.

The problem is exaggerated by the fact that the dealership organisations accept "appointments" that mean absolutely nothing. You make an appointment and show up at the appointed time to discover they've been doing first-come service since 7:00 AM, so there are four people ahead of you.

That doesn't cut it with someone who works on the people's dime 24 hours/day. I'm a real Honda and Acura fan to the core of my soul...but I cannot do dealership maintenance the way that the entire organisation handles itself right now.

I know that you think that I am at warranty risk, but it's not such a risk.

I'm aware that, legally, within the factory warranty, it really doesn't matter if I do any maintenance at all...so the dealership organisations need to make it easier to get the recommended maintenance done because when we end up in court, I'm going to win. :-)

As to the 125,000 mile added warrant I have, that is a risk that I guess I have to take. I won't win that one in court...but the publicity nightmare for Acura will be astounding.

Dealerships need to make it easier to get the service that the factory recommends.

Until then, we are at risk with our warranties, Acura is at risk for bad publicity if something does go wrong (it probably won't...which is why we buy Acura when we could buy more), and the dealerships are missing out on the money they could be making.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My dealer gives me a free loaner for any type of service. I drop my car on the way to work (10minutes max) and he has a car (or SUV, my choice) waiting to me. I never have to wait for service.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:36 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by nunyazz
My dealer gives me a free loaner for any type of service. I drop my car on the way to work (10minutes max) and he has a car (or SUV, my choice) waiting to me. I never have to wait for service.
^^unless i have time to wait...my SA always gives me a loaner and pretty much let's me keep it until i can get back over to them to pick my car up (sometimes overnight since i won't drive back over there in traffic or pick it up after dark, gotta do my own personal inspection to make sure no harm has been done in my absence yes, i really am that anal about my car ).

Quick Reply: Dealer Service