Need input from 2012+ SH-AWD owners...car shopping

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need input from 2012+ SH-AWD owners...car shopping

Hi guys
I test drove a 2012 shawd. I like it alot. Great handling, nice room, nice interior, love the steering wheel. I know its not as fast as a G37 let alone the 335 beast.. but im starting to feel its the best performance sedan i can find in the 26-28k range, and should be able to find a certified one with 25K miles or less.

How do you like yours? How do you connect your android/iphone to that teather in the armrest? Anything you dont like?

Im starting to think spending $40K for a used 335 msport is not the smartest move as i keep my cars for 10 years if i can. Had my current honda accord for 11 years.

Thanks for your input. Im basically trying to convince myself the SHAWD will offer me what I want for a fun daily driver. Even though I know the 335Xdrive msport is another planet, with a bigger maintenance bill that is..
Old 12-07-2014, 06:23 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Heracles
Hi guys
I test drove a 2012 shawd. I like it alot. Great handling, nice room, nice interior, love the steering wheel. I know its not as fast as a G37 let alone the 335 beast.. but im starting to feel its the best performance sedan i can find in the 26-28k range, and should be able to find a certified one with 25K miles or less.

How do you like yours? How do you connect your android/iphone to that teather in the armrest? Anything you dont like?

Im starting to think spending $40K for a used 335 msport is not the smartest move as i keep my cars for 10 years if i can. Had my current honda accord for 11 years.

Thanks for your input. Im basically trying to convince myself the SHAWD will offer me what I want for a fun daily driver. Even though I know the 335Xdrive msport is another planet, with a bigger maintenance bill that is..

Why do you need convincing?

I heard something interesting.
by the time you're in your 30's you've become the person you are.
so, if you are conservative, you will be pretty conservative throughout the rest of your life.

which isnt a bad thing.

stick to your values.
you know the TL is the best value for you, as you already discounted the bimmer and G37 as being "over priced"

now; if you were looking for a fun car, i'd say throw your mentality out the window and get a fast fun car!
Old 12-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
Why do you need convincing?

I heard something interesting.
by the time you're in your 30's you've become the person you are.
so, if you are conservative, you will be pretty conservative throughout the rest of your life.

which isnt a bad thing.

stick to your values.
you know the TL is the best value for you, as you already discounted the bimmer and G37 as being "over priced"

now; if you were looking for a fun car, i'd say throw your mentality out the window and get a fast fun car!
Hahaha. Well.. I enjoyed driving the shawd tl.. Thinking reliability and value.. Just if how you long term owners are liking them. Great cars. To be considering one second to a 335 says a lot.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:07 AM

Hahaha. Well.. I enjoyed driving the shawd tl.. Thinking reliability and value.. Just if how you long term owners are liking them. Great cars. To be considering one second to a 335 says a lot.
at the very basic level, the TL is a honda.
the TL will live past 10 years with ease.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:39 AM
2005 RL with over 200k KM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just traded to a 2013 CPO TL SHAWD Tech after 9yrs and 150k miles with an RL. Still getting used to the "sportier" ride, but love it so far. Expect to squeeze out at least 8yrs.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Holding into a 335 for 10 years is financial suicide unless you're a BMW mechanic. I think the TL is a great value and probably the best decision if you're looking to hang onto the car for that long.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:40 AM
2014 TL SH-AWD Advance

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
That's the reason I bought my '14 TL Advance. I looked at the G37 and considered a 335 but wanted all wheel drive and famous Honda reliability. Also intend on keeping the car for 8-10 years as I did my last Acura.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:17 AM

See, Heracles.

Most of us think like you.
we want and need that Honda reliability for 10+ years.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 03sixer
That's the reason I bought my '14 TL Advance. I looked at the G37 and considered a 335 but wanted all wheel drive and famous Honda reliability. Also intend on keeping the car for 8-10 years as I did my last Acura.
i love how all of us tested the usual suspects. The S4 hasn't been mentioned yet..but I always saw the TL as the japanese S4 with the superior awd system and far more interior room for the price. The S4 is definitely faster though. I tested a couple 335s even an M3 and the potential headaches scared me...especially seeing as most of the 40k 335i msports were the ones with the engine fan/low power issues.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
About 8 months with my TL and love everything so far except for the MPG.

Favorites
1. Handling-They are not kidding when they say its super handling.
2. The 3.7 Power
3. Seat support
4. Ventilated seats
5. 19" rims

Dislikes
1. MPG-I cannot even reach 19mpg on combine hwy & city.
2. MPG
3. MPG

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Best performing car I've ever owned. Handles just like I want and need. I don't mind the MPG: 22.5 combined and 28-29 hwy only. Perhaps is my Paw-Paw driving style or use of non-ethanol fuel.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RCJD
About 8 months with my TL and love everything so far except for the MPG.

Favorites
1. Handling-They are not kidding when they say its super handling.
2. The 3.7 Power
3. Seat support
4. Ventilated seats
5. 19" rims

Dislikes
1. MPG-I cannot even reach 19mpg on combine hwy & city.
2. MPG
3. MPG

Good luck!
is that really the cost of the 19s? I can't get worse than 21 combined unless I am quite literally hooning the entire tank. The TL is my family car so not possible most of the time haha.

You also have stock Goodyears for the 19s? Someone mentioned the same mpg loss with DWSs...though I wouldn't mind the extra grip.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
Funny this thread popped up. I have been considering a 2012 TL-SHAWD for a while now. Cross shopping it against the 2012 Audi A6 & 2012 BMW 535 Xdrive. Threw the beamer out because this will be a daily driver and I do not think the BMW will have the reliability I'm used to. I will be test driving both the Audi and the Acura and will see who wins (I'm guessing the Audi will but who knows). I can get the TL for around $5k less which is an incentive but having owned 2 Acuras and a Honda in the past 8 years, I'm afraid I will be bored with the TL and be getting the same product as my RL/TL/&Accord, but my test drive should let me know that.

Can anyone who's owned or driven both offer me any insight or thoughts in addition to what has already been said? Thanks & sorry for the mini threadjack.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I love my 2012 SHAWD.
I looked at the BMW and Mercedes but they're too small for me - with the TL you get the size of a 5 series - the BM 3 series and Merc C class felt like "compacts". Plus with the BM the base model is so plain inside, you have to pay so much more for the things we call standard in the TL.
The car handles great and the SHAWD is fantastic especially if you live somewhere where you get bad weather/snow etc.
Regarding the speed (compared to the 335 or G37) this car is plenty fast. The others may be a bit quicker in timed 1/4 miles sprints etc but you rarely ever would have the chance to use that. They make those tiny differences sound important in magazine comparisons, but in real world driving it really doesn't matter. The TL will not disappoint.
I keep my cars for a while and that's a big reason that I went for the Honda reliability. My Accord that I traded in was at almost 300,000 kms and never gave me a bit of trouble. The TL will be the same, which you cannot say about the BMW.
To connect your iPhone to the USB tether in the armrest you just need to buy a cord from the Apple or Android store (it's just a regular USB connection cord). Sometimes I use that cord if I need to charge the phone but 95% of the time I leave my phone in my pocket and connect to the phone via Bluetooth.
Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by The Professor; 12-08-2014 at 02:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Professor:
EL19 (12-08-2014), Reorge (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 02:36 PM
2014 TL SH-AWD Advance

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jterp7
i love how all of us tested the usual suspects. The S4 hasn't been mentioned yet..but I always saw the TL as the japanese S4 with the superior awd system and far more interior room for the price. The S4 is definitely faster though. I tested a couple 335s even an M3 and the potential headaches scared me...especially seeing as most of the 40k 335i msports were the ones with the engine fan/low power issues.
I really love the look of the S4 much more than the TL. However, you're talking at least 25% more for the same car. Not quite in the same price category. I got my TL for just over $39K for the highest trim level. Same higher trim level in an S4 is like $60K.

Last edited by 03sixer; 12-08-2014 at 02:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Reorge (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
I have a '12 SH-AWD Tech I bought new in October 2011 - she just rolled 34,000 miles. Only issue to date was the noisy propellor shaft, fixed under warranty. I still love driving her every time I get behind the wheel.

Sure, the magazines say she's slower than the competition - guess what, most of the idiots on the road can't drive for shit, and when there's a little water on the road or the first Winter's snow, the SH-AWD leaves everyone at the light behind. MPG could be better, could be worse - I average 19 in town, and around 25 highway - I DO NOT BABY MY BABY! Sport mode with paddles in town, cruise around 85 on the highway.

You should bear in mind the TL is a driver's car, and the passengers typically won't thank you for it. The back seat is cramped for taller passengers, the hump in the middle of the back seat just looks ridiculous, and long drives the stiff suspension will make itself obvious.

That being said the car has excellent steering, planted handling, plenty of power, great engine note, wonderful stereo, and I can fit my conceal carry gun in the console

Buying a car is very personal. I tested all the AWD sedans between 45-60K before buying the TL. I was very very close to a deal on an A6, but after several back to back drives the TL won me over on value.
The following 2 users liked this post by 012TL-GLM:
EL19 (12-09-2014), Reorge (12-08-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm over 2 years in on my SH-AWD and it still puts a grin on my face when I punch it. I have the 6 speed so maybe that's part of it but it's a fun car to drive. I cross shopped similar vehicles that everyone listed in the post. Picked the TL to me it seems to have a bit of everything. It has the handling, speed, comfort, size, etc. It may not be the best at all of the categories but it pretty good in most of them.
The following users liked this post:
RDXtremist (12-23-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2010 Sh Tech also cross shopped the cars that you mentioned. The TL is plenty fast for public roads.This car is just awesome, just buy it already
Old 12-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Great thread guys

For the S4 mention- Its probably even more expencive to own as the 335. Great car- the bonus of the F30 335 is its bigger, closer to a 5 series.

Im leaning towards the TL-It seems to have everything I need, even if I always lusted over a 335 sport sedan. To spend between 25-28K for a ~2yr old TL SHAWD vs $40K over a 2013 335 is big difference.

As for power, I been driving my 2000 accord ex v6 coupe since 20013 Jumpin in the SHAWD felt plenty fast for me- but it did feel a little dead off the line, but I didnt try to launch hard in sport mode- Am I mistaken, or does the TL SH feel slow off a stop? Maybe because i didnt floor it.

I also love the big fat steering wheel. Feels nice in your hands.

My wife LOVES her MDX!! Paid almost 40K for it when we got it, about yr old. If its in the shop for service, she hates it. She even had a 2014 TLS as a loaner- she said she felt like it was a downgrade, and loved getting back in her MDX! I aruged that though.. the new TLS has a nice new car feeling.

Now I just have to shop hard, find a CPO 2012-2014 SHAWD with 20K miles or less.

Do you guys think advance package worth it? Im shying away from it because those larger wheels/tires contribute to interior noise which im not a fan of.
Acura definitely needs to do a better job isolating the interior more, I HATE how the MDX isnt that quiet inside, like a lexus for eg
Old 12-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread guys

For the S4 mention- Its probably even more expencive to own as the 335. Great car- the bonus of the F30 335 is its bigger, closer to a 5 series.

Im leaning towards the TL-It seems to have everything I need, even if I always lusted over a 335 sport sedan. To spend between 25-28K for a ~2yr old TL SHAWD vs $40K over a 2013 335 is big difference.

As for power, I been driving my 2000 accord ex v6 coupe since 20013 Jumpin in the SHAWD felt plenty fast for me- but it did feel a little dead off the line, but I didnt try to launch hard in sport mode- Am I mistaken, or does the TL SH feel slow off a stop? Maybe because i didnt floor it.

I also love the big fat steering wheel. Feels nice in your hands.

My wife LOVES her MDX!! Paid almost 40K for it when we got it, about yr old. If its in the shop for service, she hates it. She even had a 2014 TLS as a loaner- she said she felt like it was a downgrade, and loved getting back in her MDX! I aruged that though.. the new TLS has a nice new car feeling.

Now I just have to shop hard, find a CPO 2012-2014 SHAWD with 20K miles or less.

Do you guys think advance package worth it? Im shying away from it because those larger wheels/tires contribute to interior noise which im not a fan of.
Acura definitely needs to do a better job isolating the interior more, I HATE how the MDX isnt that quiet inside, like a lexus for eg
for me i would only get the tech, elite/advance basically only gives you heated/cooled seats and the 19 wheels.
I used to own a 335xi but the fact that the fuel injectors gave out at around 20k km and the cost of maintenance I traded it in for a acura tl sh awd tech about 4 years ago.
Although the acura doesn't have the handling and performance of the bmw i now have peace of mind knowing that my car won't brake down.
Just check the paint if you decide to get a black one mine is currently in the shop getting repainted because of a paint defect
Old 12-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Have a 2014 SH AWD, just upgraded from a 2012 SH AWD, and had a 335i coupe prior.

A couple of things:

While the Bimmer was a nice car, I had issues with it, water pump twice, turbo issues. As a matter of fact, the model year after my 335i, they went with a totallly different engine. Mine was a true twin turbo, two separate turbos, the replacement was called a twin scroll turbo, but was actually a single turbo moto. In any event, the bmw will cost you big bucks, especially after waranty. The bimmer only drives one wheel, no limited slip available. They SUCK in wet or snowy conditions, and in stock for, it really didn't feel that much faster than my TL. The T is a great car, especially for the money.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the input on your 335 experience

Any thoughts compared to a 2012 g37 X?
Old 12-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 shawd

I know where you are coming from on considering a 335 BMW. I have an 08 TLS
with 106 K on it, the car still drives like it's new. I have never kept a car this long or had this much mileage. I find myself thinking of a CPO BMW for a one time shot. I'm at a stage in my life where I could afford to buy a new one, but I know it's not a prudent move. My wife has a 2003, 325 CI with 93 K, it's a fun little car that she loves and does not want to get rid of. You name it, I have replaced it on this car, absolute horrendous reliability. In all reality, I will replace my TLS with a
2013-14 SHAWD, because it makes good sense and I like Acura's. My only problem is when to let it go, I like no car payments, but I wonder how many miles I should keep this car, it will probably run forever. Do yourself a favor and get the BMW out of your mind, I'll try and do the same thing. Good luck.

Bill C.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill C.
I know where you are coming from on considering a 335 BMW. I have an 08 TLS
with 106 K on it, the car still drives like it's new. I have never kept a car this long or had this much mileage. I find myself thinking of a CPO BMW for a one time shot. I'm at a stage in my life where I could afford to buy a new one, but I know it's not a prudent move. My wife has a 2003, 325 CI with 93 K, it's a fun little car that she loves and does not want to get rid of. You name it, I have replaced it on this car, absolute horrendous reliability. In all reality, I will replace my TLS with a
2013-14 SHAWD, because it makes good sense and I like Acura's. My only problem is when to let it go, I like no car payments, but I wonder how many miles I should keep this car, it will probably run forever. Do yourself a favor and get the BMW out of your mind, I'll try and do the same thing. Good luck.

Bill C.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you Bill. I have an 07 TLS w/125k miles on it. It's paid off and runs like a champ but I'm just ready for something newer. I considered buying a 535xi M-Sport but I was scared off by the horror stories of reliability. I went and looked at a 2010 TL SH AWD, she drove like a champ. I think I'm gonna end up staying in the Acura family too.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
When I had my 335i it was a three-year lease. That' s the only way to consider a bimmer, the lease term also includes scheduled maintenance and covers the duration of the warranty. I can't imagine what the water pump and turbo issues would have cost me out of pocket. The reason i bought a tl was my friend's G3 tl that he had with 195k and nothing but routine maintenance. The reason I upgraded from my 2012 to a 2014 was the deal. My dealer swapped out the cars with zero out of pocket and same payment, an offer I couldn't refuse.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I had a pristine 2012 TL SH-AWD with low mileage and I REGRET that I let it go....BEST car I ever owned and doubt I'll ever have car that brought so much driving pleasure. I am aware that styling is controversial but if you like the looks, then never doubt the fun factor of the TL! BEST CAR EVER!
Old 12-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Former owner of a 10 year old 528i had to be the most satisfying car I ever owned. Since I had a company car it was just for pleasure, less than 50K miles. Few problems until it cut out on me one day, DOA on the side of the road. Was not a big issue except for being stuck and late for an interview.
It was then I decided to go back to a dependable and fun car, the TL SHAWD fit the bill to a T, No regrets at all.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I purchased my 2012 TL SH-AWD Technology package back in July 2013 had 14250km(8854mi) now 29950km(18610mi). I like the way it handles, nice interior, exterior, comfortable seats, nice els sound. Before I got the TL I also looked at G37Xs but I picked TL. So far no major issues had to replace whole front grill one clip broke replaced under warranty also recently passenger side windshield spray nozzle had to be replaced under warranty. Other than that I like my TL, also I like the way it handles in winter on snow and ice. It is a Great Fun Car!!!!

Last edited by Jerry"O"; 12-15-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jerry"O"
I purchased my 2012 TL SH-AWD Technology package back in July 2013 had 14250km(8854mi) now 29950km(18610mi). I like the way it handles, nice interior, exterior, comfortable seats, nice els sound. Before I got the TL I also looked at G37Xs but I picked TL. So far no major issues had to replace whole front grill one clip broke replaced under warranty also recently passenger side windshield spray nozzle had to be replaced under warranty. Other than that I like my TL, also I like the way it handles in winter on snow and ice. It is a Great Fun Car!!!!
Thays great! What made you pick the shawd over the g37xs? That is my one runner up. Thanks. I decided to spend less than 30k...vs almost 40k for a used 335