Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Credible 5G TL Rumours Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Here's my opinion on what the new TLX will have to offer and why:

1. You're not going to see any Acura with a power to weight ratio of 10lbs per horsepower or better. Why? Because Honda/Acura wants to keep their reputation of being relatively cheap to own, maintain and INSURE. The last one is the kicker, a car that hits that magical ratio will automatically have to pay more in insurance. Historically, Honda's have ran around 15lbs per HP. This does not apply to the NSX because it was a true sports car with sports car price tag that people were automatically going to pay a higher rate to insure.

If the next Acura TLX runs true with the new Honda/Acura designs, it's probably going to try and shed about 100lbs, it's still going to be in the neighborhood of 3800-3900lbs.

2. Putting a similar (or the same) engine/powertrain setup as the RLX is not that much of a deal breaker, other car companies do this, but they might intentionally lower the output to make premiums seem more legit. Take for instance the $100,000 Corvette ZR1, 638hp V-8, yet when they put that engine in the Cadillac CTS-V and Camaro ZL-1, both cars which are $30,000 to $40,000 less than the Corvette, they drop the numbers down to the mid-500's. Why? The engine is the same, the supercharger is roughly the same, but they want to keep the exclusivity of the motor to the higher priced car. My prediction? The TLX will have no more than 350hp when you opt for the electric SH-AWD option. If not, a very less believable option would be some sort of high-output 3.5L coupled with the same SH-AWD drivetrain as right now, but making around 330hp tops.

3. The TL Advance Model will have a price tag that reaches into RLX territory, but more like the bottom of the RLX model. The RLX will have at 3 trim styles I'm betting. Just like Honda has been branding some of their top of the line vehicles with the word "Touring" for the top of the line packaging, Acura will start to use the word "Advance" for their top of the line package. The MDX did this, the current TL will do this and I think all vehicles will follow suit.

When the RLX debuts at the LA Auto Show, I will offer more predictions with what the TL(X) will offer, because traditionally we've been able to guess pretty accurately what Acura will do with the TL based off of what the RL has.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^^

Here ya go - https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...852173&page=19
Old 12-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
I think everyone here has it all wrong. the one thing no one has mentioned is the TL going away completely. With the introduction of the ILX...they have too many models. the line is scattered, and there is too much blurring in features, etc. between the ILX, TSX, and TL.

it's ridiculous in my opinion and the smart thing would be for them to let the TL die as it should have with the horrible job they did with the design of the 4G TL.
I think they should just let those responsible for the atrocity of the 4G TL die off or at least fire them. Pay the guys who designed the 3G a huge bonus to make it a bit more stylish and crank up the technology to 11. That includes the headlights, noise cancellation, phone contact integration with GPS, speakers and engine - the TL should be getting about 35/35 with quick acceleration. I'm sure it could be getting 40/40 with a crappy hybrid with poor acceleration like their current hybrid ILX but people who want the TL want 0-60 in about 6 seconds. BMW and Lexus have some GREAT hybrid technology for cars with excellent acceleration and MPG - WTF happened with Honda/Acura? Everyone here posts about HP - are you people pulling trailer homes? All I care about is acceleration. I'm not driving in Germany or on the 6 o'clock news so I don't ever exceed 85 MPH.

Oh and lose the whole beak chrome. Just put in a nice sports mesh grill with a quality A and you'll have something powerful but understated.

I've been driving Honda/Acura for over 20 years but at the moment I'll end up with a 2014 Lexus 300h unless Acura makes a complete 180 (again) towards high technology, quality engineering and bang for the buck, like they used to be known for producing.

Last edited by boe_d; 12-01-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ Looks like you will be driving a 2014 Lexus 300h soon There is no way Acura will do a 180 after seeing their RLX. I don't expect them to lose the front grill design and doubt it will win you over. You make some great points and I agree that as long as Merek is involved with Acura, our chance of seeing Acura pumping out nice design is pretty much on hold.
The following users liked this post:
jnc2000 (12-05-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by weather
^^^ Looks like you will be driving a 2014 Lexus 300h soon There is no way Acura will do a 180 after seeing their RLX. I don't expect them to lose the front grill design and doubt it will win you over. You make some great points and I agree that as long as Merek is involved with Acura, our chance of seeing Acura pumping out nice design is pretty much on hold.
I believe you are correct. It sounds strange but I really wish Acura would turn things around - I have a weird loyalty due to how happy I am with my first Honda and my subsequent Acura. It is a shame they let go of what made them great bang for the buck. I still think the Accord is a pretty good car but can't ignore that other companies have continued to move forward while Acura has remained IMHO a bit stagnant. Sure they've added more horsepower and made their cars really ugly but unless you have a Tshirt that asks women to judge your "endowment" by the rated HP of your car there is little point. Acceleration is all that matters unless you are driving beyond the thunderdome. Even acceleration will seem less important than MPG once gas prices reach $5 per gallon next year.

Last edited by boe_d; 12-02-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ The saddest part of the whole thing is that parent company seems more determined on getting their Honda products to be pleasing and on the leading edge compared to the Acura brand. Almost as if they have given up hope on us. You look at the Accord and the new Civic, both are now great designs (especially the Accord) loaded with technology that is almost nowhere to be found in many Acura products. Don't get me wrong, like you, I love the brand, the reliability and my dealership experience which are the major reasons I am still sticking around but I would love Acura to hit a home run and come out with a sedan "a la" 3rd Gen TL which was praised by everyone, including blind people! Surely there must be some people within the Honda/Acura family that can still look at design and say, yeah, this will be a seller?! If not, time they get someone like that back at the company.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I just hope The TLX will have the optional Krell audio available, as it will be offered in the RLX. If it does I don't care what else the car has, I will buy it for the audio system.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I am a hard core country music fan (the real twang) so people will argue that regardless of great the audio system will be, anything coming out of it will sound like shit *lol* I disagree of course
Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^ I am a hard core country music fan (the real twang) so people will argue that regardless of great the audio system will be, anything coming out of it will sound like shit *lol* I disagree of course

I guarantee I don't care WHAT you play on a Krell system. It will sound like you've never heard it before. Most people have never heard a Krell system and it would not surprise me if its a 10K option on the new RLX. Krell makes amps that cost upward to 35K.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023
I guarantee I don't care WHAT you play on a Krell system. It will sound like you've never heard it before. Most people have never heard a Krell system and it would not surprise me if its a 10K option on the new RLX. Krell makes amps that cost upward to 35K.
Only issue is that Krell didn't built the speakers for the system, like they do in their home audio stuff. They outsourced the speakers to Scanspeak. Also, the speakers are using materials that Krell doesn't use in their own stuff.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by probmxstyle
Only issue is that Krell didn't built the speakers for the system, like they do in their home audio stuff. They outsourced the speakers to Scanspeak. Also, the speakers are using materials that Krell doesn't use in their own stuff.

Having owned Krell equipment, I know Krell would not put their name on anything that they did not think meets their standards. NHT did not make their own drivers either buy yet their flagship speaker won numerous awards. I have no doubt the Krell system with be the finest oem ever put in a car.

Krell only in later years made speakers. Krell amps always made ANY high quility speaker sound great.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Now you have me curious because I am an audiophile and the idea of such a great quality system is something to get excited about thats for sure and would be willing to pay the premium provided it delivers the merchandise. I find the ELS on the TL to be amazing but on the the RDX (2013 model), it is disappointing. I suspect it is partly due to a weak amplifier but also, the acoustic of the vehicle. You can have the best equipment in the world, put in a poor acoustic chamber and it will still sound like crap. The idea of playing some pure country music on such a high fidelity system now has got me excited.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Now you have me curious because I am an audiophile and the idea of such a great quality system is something to get excited about thats for sure and would be willing to pay the premium provided it delivers the merchandise. I find the ELS on the TL to be amazing but on the the RDX (2013 model), it is disappointing. I suspect it is partly due to a weak amplifier but also, the acoustic of the vehicle. You can have the best equipment in the world, put in a poor acoustic chamber and it will still sound like crap. The idea of playing some pure country music on such a high fidelity system now has got me excited.

I can assure you, Krell would NEVER put their name on any Audio equipent unless they thought it to be the very best available. I am even shocked that
Krell even doing car audio. Krell amps are known to double and triple their rated power output. According to their website, the car amps will be built using the same parts and technology as their home equipemt. Krell amps have the most fast, hard hitting bass I have ever heard. Its in your face with no apology.If it bad sounding material, its gonna sound bad, but with authority. That is their trade mark sound. Their amps are very fast. I can't wait to hear it. There will be no comparison to the ELS and the krell system.
The following 2 users liked this post by dwest1023:
jnc2000 (12-05-2012), weather (12-03-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Some pics of the LA Auto Show - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vx6ec0cto8dv16q/bPC51m4_jV#/
Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Bodes well for the TLX driving experience. From Car and Driver -

"honda accord
The family sedan, elevated.
Let us get this straight: The new Accord has ditched its control-arm front suspension for struts; a CVT has displaced its four-cylinder's step-gear automatic; and gasoline direct injection is new this year­—but only on the four—nine years after Audi first offered it in the U.S. So why is this car back on this list for a record 27th time? It's not because the Accord is a looker. What it has is inner beauty: Luxury-car big inside and yet smaller outside than before, this ninth-gen version fully delivers on Honda's "man-maximum, machine-minimum" philosophy. The Accord's greatness has always derived from its ability to disappear under its driver, but this new car verges on the ethereal—it is so easy to see out of, so easy to point into a corner, so elegant and light and forgiving in its responses that one big fluid loop develops between man and machine. This is true whether you're talking about the base four-cylinder sedan or the six-cylinder coupe with its clockwork manual. Its playful and graceful spirit makes taking grandma to the doctor and the kids to soccer and the boss to lunch no chore. You only think it's a driving appliance until you drive it. Then you understand."
Old 12-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Now you have me curious because I am an audiophile and the idea of such a great quality system is something to get excited about thats for sure and would be willing to pay the premium provided it delivers the merchandise.
The real trick will be finding high resolution source material that is worthy of a listen on the Krell. The Krell system will only make mp3 shit sound like shiny mp3 shit. I don't have a single track ripped to my hard drive in my TL. I use upconverted CDs, DVD-A, and Apple lossless. Can't stand mp3. I only hope that the Krell system will be compatible with SACD, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by n-spring; 12-05-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
... the acoustic of the vehicle. You can have the best equipment in the world, put in a poor acoustic chamber and it will still sound like crap...
A car is not the best place for listening to music in high fidelity. I welcome a good system, but nothing you could put in a car can come close to my home system.

-notwithstanding the way Rush "Cigar Face" Limbaugh sounds on the talk radio station I listen to while driving on my lunchbreak.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
A car is not the best place for listening to music in high fidelity. I welcome a good system, but nothing you could put in a car can come close to my home system.

-notwithstanding the way Rush "Cigar Face" Limbaugh sounds on the talk radio station I listen to while driving on my lunchbreak.

That may be true, but put yout home systm in a car and see what that will sound like. Krell will undertand the environment the system will be put and adjust accordingly. It will be simply one the best OEM you gonna get.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
Bodes well for the TLX driving experience. From Car and Driver -

"honda accord
The family sedan, elevated.
Let us get this straight: The new Accord has ditched its control-arm front suspension for struts; a CVT has displaced its four-cylinder's step-gear automatic; and gasoline direct injection is new this year­—but only on the four—nine years after Audi first offered it in the U.S. So why is this car back on this list for a record 27th time? It's not because the Accord is a looker. What it has is inner beauty: Luxury-car big inside and yet smaller outside than before, this ninth-gen version fully delivers on Honda's "man-maximum, machine-minimum" philosophy. The Accord's greatness has always derived from its ability to disappear under its driver, but this new car verges on the ethereal—it is so easy to see out of, so easy to point into a corner, so elegant and light and forgiving in its responses that one big fluid loop develops between man and machine. This is true whether you're talking about the base four-cylinder sedan or the six-cylinder coupe with its clockwork manual. Its playful and graceful spirit makes taking grandma to the doctor and the kids to soccer and the boss to lunch no chore. You only think it's a driving appliance until you drive it. Then you understand."
We just bought a 6MT EX sedan this evening. C&D captures our test drive reactions perfectly. It's really a sweet sedan, especially considering its price. It does bode very well for the new TLX. The car already feels like an Acura. I look forward to seeing how this platform evolves into the new TLX.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
If only Acura would see fit to offer a coupe version of the TLX (CLX perhaps?) with a manual tranny and all advanced features, I'd be all over that shit.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by prepreludesh
Here's my opinion on what the new TLX will have to offer and why:

1. You're not going to see any Acura with a power to weight ratio of 10lbs per horsepower or better. Why? Because Honda/Acura wants to keep their reputation of being relatively cheap to own, maintain and INSURE. The last one is the kicker, a car that hits that magical ratio will automatically have to pay more in insurance. Historically, Honda's have ran around 15lbs per HP. This does not apply to the NSX because it was a true sports car with sports car price tag that people were automatically going to pay a higher rate to insure.

If the next Acura TLX runs true with the new Honda/Acura designs, it's probably going to try and shed about 100lbs, it's still going to be in the neighborhood of 3800-3900lbs.

2. Putting a similar (or the same) engine/powertrain setup as the RLX is not that much of a deal breaker, other car companies do this, but they might intentionally lower the output to make premiums seem more legit. Take for instance the $100,000 Corvette ZR1, 638hp V-8, yet when they put that engine in the Cadillac CTS-V and Camaro ZL-1, both cars which are $30,000 to $40,000 less than the Corvette, they drop the numbers down to the mid-500's. Why? The engine is the same, the supercharger is roughly the same, but they want to keep the exclusivity of the motor to the higher priced car. My prediction? The TLX will have no more than 350hp when you opt for the electric SH-AWD option. If not, a very less believable option would be some sort of high-output 3.5L coupled with the same SH-AWD drivetrain as right now, but making around 330hp tops.

3. The TL Advance Model will have a price tag that reaches into RLX territory, but more like the bottom of the RLX model. The RLX will have at 3 trim styles I'm betting. Just like Honda has been branding some of their top of the line vehicles with the word "Touring" for the top of the line packaging, Acura will start to use the word "Advance" for their top of the line package. The MDX did this, the current TL will do this and I think all vehicles will follow suit.

When the RLX debuts at the LA Auto Show, I will offer more predictions with what the TL(X) will offer, because traditionally we've been able to guess pretty accurately what Acura will do with the TL based off of what the RL has.
I think you have the right idea that the TLX will most likely not exceed the power of the RLX, but according to accura it looks like the RLX is only rated at 310HP ( http://www.acura.com/future/RLX#8 ). Therefore, I guess we can't look forward to much of a power increase in the TLX. I also would assume no earth dreams engine in it (for now).

Originally Posted by Glashub
Looks like Lexus has the fugly front grill now
Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by rossfarneth
I think you have the right idea that the TLX will most likely not exceed the power of the RLX, but according to accura it looks like the RLX is only rated at 310HP ( http://www.acura.com/future/RLX#8 ).
There's going to be 2 versions of the RLX. The one being released sooner with "P-AWS" steering (good Lord), has 310hp. The hybrid being released later with SH-AWD will have around 370hp with the aid of electric motors and supposedly get around 30mpg combined.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Instructor

There's going to be 2 versions of the RLX. The one being released sooner with "P-AWS" steering (good Lord), has 310hp. The hybrid being released later with SH-AWD will have around 370hp with the aid of electric motors and supposedly get around 30mpg combined.
Good catch. P-AWS will be interesting. Wonder how much it will be and if it will be on the TLX (I'd imagine so). Seems like it will be expensive tho. Which still doesn't correlate to Acura's who cheaper affordable luxury. I obviously can't speak now but I am only speculating.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by rossfarneth
Good catch. P-AWS will be interesting. Wonder how much it will be and if it will be on the TLX (I'd imagine so). Seems like it will be expensive tho. Which still doesn't correlate to Acura's who cheaper affordable luxury. I obviously can't speak now but I am only speculating.
On the 310hp RLX, P-AWS is standard. The 370 hp hybrid version will have the SHSH-AWD (geez) : Sport Hybrid Super Handling - All Wheel Drive.

I have no idea what they'll offer on the TLX.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:43 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
It is curious as to how Honda will load the TLX. Until recently as the neglected RL sales died, they began offering more on the TL. Since the RLX is their new flagship I'd think they would still want to hold off on giving TL too much too soon. I certainly dont expect to see the 370hp set up in the TLXs 1st gen. But since Acura is hurting, the smarter thing is to offer the best on both cars at their price points, something Acura historically has not wanted to do til the current TL. SHAWD was on the RL in 2005. not on the TL til 2009? Is that right?
As for audio and Krell. depending on the cost and what you get with it, unless it offers access to High Res audio, (dvd-a, sacd, Bluray), a costlier upgrade to play std CDs, XM, and iPods seems silly. I'd prefer the ELS (and DVD-Audio) high res over std formats.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Haha I just did a google search for "Acura sport hybrid super handling all wheel drive" and it came up. SHSH-AWD dat shit cra!

The AWD system would really benefit from some nice HP like that!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I'm okay with the base TLX offering 310hp but I definitely want to see a performance variant of the TLX that has at least 340hp. They can let the RLX, being the flagship sedan, have the 370hp version and have the TLX slide in with slightly less power. We need a TLX with a 5.0 second or better 0-60 time.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Instructor

We need a TLX with a 5.0 second or better 0-60 time.
Agreed. I've seen car reviews from creditable sites saying the MT AWD can do 5sec flat. I don't doubt it, but conditions would obviously have to be favorable.

It's not so much that Acura needs a 4k lb car doing 5sec 0-60 times, but with new hybrid engine technology assisting an already in place decent powered v6 in AWD I don't see why it can't / shouldn't be offered or able to do so at a good price.

A little extra HP would compliment the AWD well. I can floor mine from a light w/ usually no wheel spin, which is good, but it does show that it can handle a little more power from a dig^^ Have a feeling i'ma get some funny remarks haha, but this isn't something I do often...but hey...who hasn't pushed the pedal in there awd from a stop!?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura....I'll make it easy for you. Leave the running gear as is and just make the car pretty again. You'll sell a ton of them.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 AM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by a32tl
I'm okay with the base TLX offering 310hp but I definitely want to see a performance variant of the TLX that has at least 340hp. They can let the RLX, being the flagship sedan, have the 370hp version and have the TLX slide in with slightly less power. We need a TLX with a 5.0 second or better 0-60 time.
I disagree. A 0-60 time up in the high 5s would be plenty peppy for the vast majority of drivers and would be better than all the "regular" family sedans out there. More important is balanced weight and great handling. Even more important than that is some good looks!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by a32tl
I don't understand this fascination with HP. Acceleration is the only thing that matters for most people. Are you pulling a double wide load house or a yacht?
Old 03-28-2013, 01:50 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

After paying out $40K for a premium Acura sport sedan, most TL owners will want their "Advance" or "Smart Luxury" sedan to outrun the $30K Honda Accord economy family sedan. It is HP that can make it happens.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

After paying out $40K for a premium Acura sport sedan, most TL owners will want their "Advance" or "Smart Luxury" sedan to outrun the $30K Honda Accord economy family sedan. It is HP that can make it happens.
Actually "most people" will never know or care nor will they push the car, now us enthusiasts on the other hand....

The TLX is going to be a very important car for them. If the TLX is not a success then Acura is an SUV company that sells some cars as the MDX and RDX will be the bread and butter. The RLX at best will sell 500 cars a month and I actually wonder if they can maintain that once the initial surge tames. Infiniti is known for the G now Q50, Lexus has the IS, GS and LS all of which are very successful cars. And the Germans have, well we know what they have. So the TLX has to be a home run as the ILX is getting mixed reviews. The Q50 pricing and features just released have set the bar for Acura. And as much as I have some pet peeves with my M I must say overall Infiniti builds a nice car, not quite as well as Acura, but in 3 years and 40K miles it has not had any issues other than year one squeaks and rattles that the dealer fixed and are quiet to this day. I know Acura has a full plate this year, but a TLX prototype should have been shown this week in New York. The new Q50 and IS are going to attract a lot of people this year that will t,we those people off the car market for a few years, being late to the game means Acura has a lot of catch up to do.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by KeithL
Actually "most people" will never know or care nor will they push the car, now us enthusiasts on the other hand....
Remember that the TL is not a small sedan with a light curb weight.

I can imagine that "most people" will find a heavy dose of HP extremely helpful, when merging into traffic at the on-ramps, and/or trying to cross multiple lanes at highway speeds.

In the above cases, HP will have it's presence felt everywhere, especially so with the "most drivers".
Old 03-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

True, but most people will not know 278HP vs 310HP usually. And actually torque is more important than HP for those get off the line and get up to speed quick feelings.

I'm going to guess that the TLX may get the same 310HP Earth Dreams, but I am guessing it will get regular SH-AWD and not the SH-SH-AWD. I don't see Acura chasing the Q50 hybrid up front, maybe at MMC or 6G. I would love to be wrong on that prediction ;-)
Old 03-28-2013, 04:00 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Just a thought, what would really suck is if the new TLX came with regular "AWD" not SH-AWD, like what Acura did to the 2G RDX by eliminating SH-AWD...

Who knows, by offering "AWD" it would save weight, costs, and separate the TLX even more from the RLX. I hope I'm wrong on this one.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

I was worried about that, but have to think Acura needs SH-AWD to compete with competition, they need one car that is somewhat sporty. Funny have seen Acura advertising the TL on TV again, that commercial that end with the AWD spinning in next to the regular TL.
The MDX is a heavy truck and if they can get 19/27 with SH-AWD I have to believe in the TLX they can get the same or maybe 1MPG more.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 PM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by KeithL
True, but most people will not know 278HP vs 310HP usually. And actually torque is more important than HP for those get off the line and get up to speed quick feelings.

I'm going to guess that the TLX may get the same 310HP Earth Dreams, but I am guessing it will get regular SH-AWD and not the SH-SH-AWD. I don't see Acura chasing the Q50 hybrid up front, maybe at MMC or 6G. I would love to be wrong on that prediction ;-)
Agree that torque is more important for big and heavy sedans, especially with auto transmissions.

Even employing advanced engine technologies, such as i-VTEC, DI, DOHC, etc., only very little additional torque can be squeezed out while staying with the same displacement (3.5L). However, lots of high-end hp, but never low-end torque, can be realized by keep bumping up the engine red-line rpm.

The only ways to generate lots of torque is by bumping up the engine displacement, by adding forced induction, or by using giant hybrid electric motors.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
The 2014 MDX is getting the 3.5L, 290hp, 267 lb-ft V6.. and SH-AWD so I think that might be an indication for the TLX.

Honestly I don't need a V6. At one point I was hoping Acura would give me a fully loaded TLX Advance with the fuel efficiency of the I4-CVT from the Accord. But I'm losing hope. I'm not sure how we have come to equate higher horsepower with luxury. Why can't we have both luxury features AND fuel efficiency.

Either way I'm waiting for Acura to deliver on the TLX, if not then my options are limited.

one more thing.... looking at the RLX and MDX interiors and feature sets, it doesn't leave much to the imagination for the TLX. That could be a good thing if they hold the line on price. Using the excuse that the new name would give them an excuse to dramatically raise the price would be a mistake.

Last edited by Rocket_man; 03-29-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The 2014 MDX is getting the 3.5L, 290hp, 267 lb-ft V6.. and SH-AWD so I think that might be an indication for the TLX.

Honestly I don't need a V6. At one point I was hoping Acura would give me a fully loaded TLX Advance with the fuel efficiency of the I4-CVT from the Accord. But I'm losing hope. I'm not sure how we have come to equate higher horsepower with luxury. Why can't we have both luxury features AND fuel efficiency.

Either way I'm waiting for Acura to deliver on the TLX, if not then my options are limited.

one more thing.... looking at the RLX and MDX interiors and feature sets, it doesn't leave much to the imagination for the TLX. That could be a good thing if they hold the line on price. Using the excuse that the new name would give them an excuse to dramatically raise the price would be a mistake.
It is funny that the Accord Touring is offered in Canada with the I4, but not in the US. I think car makers assume we all want big engines here. Honestly I want a car that performs decently and returns decent MPG, but can be had loaded. I am curious to see how the Q50 Hybrid does, it is only about a $2K price premium and you get better MPG and better HP!

Quick Reply: Credible 5G TL Rumours Anyone?