4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Credible 5G TL Rumours Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 03:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably a buncha' threads on this already, but dying for some insight! My lease on my 4G TL ends just in time for me to get into the 2014 one. At the very least, in terms of styling, that front and rear over-hang has to go. The competition looks so much better when it comes to this and other styling queues. In terms of performance, I hope it's, at the very least, at the level of the G37... cuz right now, it's nowhere close If these concerns are not met by the folks at Honda, they will lose me as a customer of 6 years...

1) Anything to replace those dated, old-school-looking-why the heck are these on a car this price- halogen DRL. LEDs PLEASE!!

2) 350 hp minimum.

3) Better, updated tranny required.

4) 20 inchers... standard... especially considering the size of the car.

5) Adaptive HIDs.

Am I dreaming? I heard the new G's gonna be sick. Sorry Acura... you're probably gonna lose me...

Last edited by Steven Bell; 08-12-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
The following users liked this post:
Nrncat (03-30-2013)
Old 09-15-2012, 01:23 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enough of the big tires....

First I have to say you are right on the money as to styling. Give me a 04-08 with updates and I will buy it.
But with that said I am into understated performance.

Why does this car need huge tires? It does not make it look better. It does say “look at me”, “look at me”…..I guess it’s the Facebook generation.
My 2004 TL has 17" and rides great. When the 04 came out I drove the sport model with the low profiles and it rode terribly. It was like I was riding on a gravel road. You felt everything. I guess I am old school and had Craigers on my 61 Impala and it was the width that makes traction not low profile. I can take my 04 at 55MPH on interstate exit cloverleaf and it just hugs the road on my Michelins MXV4.
I vote NO big tires. They are not functional. Besides rotating all the rim and tire takes a lot of breaking power. Unless Honda starts beefing up the brakes it will be in for service constantly.

Also until drive-by-wire steering can be improved it has to go.
I have driven many drive-by-wire cars and there is much work that needs to be done. No feel of the road and I am continually correcting steering. My wrists are killing me driving my wife’s Prius over any distance.

And, I agree, I have had the money to buy a new car in 09 and I have been waiting since it came out. If this isn't fixed in the 2014 I am moving on. I had Prelude in 88 and Hondas since but I have strated to look around.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
All you have to do is look at the 2013 Accord for some clues. It will have lots of bells and whistles, wireless connectivity etc. Smaller on the outside, same or larger on the inside. More fuel efficent engine (Earth Dreams). 20 inch wheels?? I hope not.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I also hope that 20 inches won't be on the TL...I have 18 inches now and feel they are more than adequate. The bigger the tire, the more expensive they are to replace.

I also would like to have Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights. The LED DRL are not a requirement on my end....when Audi came out with them, I was quite wowed by them. Kia's have them now so for me, they don't mean "luxury" anymore.

I think it will be a great vehicle given the latest trend by Honda/Acura these days, it seem 2009-2012 were bad years for them but they seem to have their Mojo back.
birdy*feet (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Alot of members here have said the LED DRL lights are a must on a car of the TL price.....

I agree - When a KIA has them and ACURA does not????

More H.P. to me is not needed at all. The 305 ponies that the TL SH-AWD has is plenty!

The 6 A/T IN THE 2012 vs the 5 A/T is an improvement in the tranny dept.

17" and 18" wheels are now standard, I think 19" are nice - but no need to go up to a 20" wheel.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:18 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
I'll rather trade the big wheels with maybe 30-50 more horsepowers.

For wheels and tires, we can go aftermarket. But it is very difficult to add 30-50 additional aftermarket hp without affecting powertrain reliability and factory warranty coverage.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Look at the pictures of the 2014 Acura RLX that's coming to us in the first part of 2013, and I think you'll probably be on the right track.

I wouldn't put it past them to give the TL(X) the same automated manual transmission and hybrid drivetrain, either, with the vectoring being handled by three electric motors just like the RLX.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I also hope that 20 inches won't be on the TL...
Same here... also those of us who live in the north have to buy a 2nd set of tires for the winter, so it would cost a lot more.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PCTCONE
In terms of performance, I hope it's, at the very least, at the level of the G37... cuz right now, it's nowhere close
How do you figure? Car and Driver tested the TL SHAWD vs the G37 Sport and the TL beat the G in their slalom test and the acceleration was the same. The G does have a different more sporty feel being RWD but that's not something that's possible to fix unless you make the TL RWD which will never happen.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by LawnPro
Alot of members here have said the LED DRL lights are a must on a car of the TL price.....

I agree - When a KIA has them and ACURA does not????

More H.P. to me is not needed at all. The 305 ponies that the TL SH-AWD has is plenty!

The 6 A/T IN THE 2012 vs the 5 A/T is an improvement in the tranny dept.

17" and 18" wheels are now standard, I think 19" are nice - but no need to go up to a 20" wheel.

i disagree with 305hp being enough for future tl's. This being my third tl im already use to the power output. The awd is superb to many other vehicles in and above its price range but ive had enough of the v6.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 AM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by Babnik
How do you figure? Car and Driver tested the TL SHAWD vs the G37 Sport and the TL beat the G in their slalom test and the acceleration was the same. The G does have a different more sporty feel being RWD but that's not something that's possible to fix unless you make the TL RWD which will never happen.
4WD vs 2WD ? Not a fair comparison.

How about FWD TL vs G37 RWD ? Or AWD TL vs G37x AWD ?

I'm pretty sure that the rear-wheel-drive-biased G37x will still stay on top of the front-wheel-drive-biased AWD TL in handling, and also power.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by aspecallday
i disagree with 305hp being enough for future tl's. This being my third tl im already use to the power output. The awd is superb to many other vehicles in and above its price range but ive had enough of the v6.
Please explain what you would do with more power? The car excelerates very briskly, and can reach any legal speed and then some. The Tl is not a dragster or a sports car.
The following 2 users liked this post by dwest1023:
jhumbo (03-26-2013), sockpuppet (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Honda has already published intentions for the powertrain offerings and demonstrated their credibility with the RLX offering.

We know that the new accord is utilizing MacPherson suspension,and that the RL is still on DWB. The ILX is basically a Civic, so also uses MacPherson/multi-link.

If the TL runs off the Accord Chassis, it will be MacPherson, otherwise, the TL is going to have it's own Chassis, or be the global accord chassis like the TSX is/was. I still maintain the TSX and TL become one car for this reason.

The J motor gets direct injection and smaller displacement. The AWD system goes away from transfer cases and goes to electrical motors.

Acura needs an offering at the 40k price point to keep marketshare/try to gain market share, so there will be a TL/TSX replamcement.

Projected: 300hp 3 liter Direct Injection J30 motor. 40hp electric motor on transmission, and 40hp electrical motor on each rear wheel. (Combined 420hp potential launch power).
Old 09-17-2012, 08:51 AM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Please explain what you would do with more power? The car excelerates very briskly, and can reach any legal speed and then some. The Tl is not a dragster or a sports car.
The 4G AWD TL is no ordinary sedan either. The 4G AWD TL is more than just a regular SPORT sedan.

The advanced torque-vectoring function on the SH-AWD TL allows the car to take corners at even higher speeds than some so-called SPORT cars.

If the G37 (one of TL's main competitors) can do with 330hp, why can't the AWD TL ?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you're expecting Honda to get into the horsepower game with anyone, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. It's not their way.
jnc2000 (12-05-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 AM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

Honda doesn't need to win any horsepower game. Just merely stay below the major competitors will do the job. 30 more hp to the TL would be excellent, but 20-25 more should attract a whole lot more potential G37 buyers.

Likewise, the upcoming 370+hp EarthDream DI 3.5L-V6 3-motor hybrid powerplant to be used in the 3G RL, seems to be a good indication that Acura is not shying away from the hp game like before either.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The 4G AWD TL is no ordinary sedan either. The 4G AWD TL is more than just a regular SPORT sedan.

The advanced torque-vectoring function on the SH-AWD TL allows the car to take corners at even higher speeds than some so-called SPORT cars.

If the G37 (one of TL's main competitors) can do with 330hp, why can't the AWD TL ?
You could give the tl 500hp and it could not keep up with my miata in turns. Its a REAL sports car. The only reason I see for more hp with the tl is bragging rights. More HP is not needed. It would be much better to make it lighter.
ctsport (03-30-2013)
Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

^I'll disagree and would gladly take that challenge. If you Auto-X, you've surely seen WRXs and EVOs on the course using the same formula. The TL had no trouble besting Mustang GTs on the SCCA championship run this year. I auto-x'd an S2000 for 4 years; the TL truly shines in the corners.

The TL is a touring sedan, not a roadster. Both are sports cars in their own right.

As a longtime S2K'r, I'd even argue that the majority of the misconception about the Miata being a great handling car, is that it never puts down enough power to compromise traction, so it's misleading. It sticks very well, has outstanding steering response, and is definitely a global favorite roadster. Honda built a car that outshined it in every aspect, (and you could get in the Honda at 6'2" and drive it), but discontinued it to pursue some hybrid BS CRX imitator. This is what has me worried about the future of the TL.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
making the TL lighter, a bit more power (more torque please) and a few more tech goodies will make Acura a sure winner. Judging by what I've read of the new Accord the next gen TL should have tons of toys.

The current SH-AWD is an absolute BLAST to drive and as long as Acura can keep that feeling or improve it they'll do fine. Don't forget the most important aspect of car sales - AESTHETICS - the current TL sales are less than stellar for that reason alone. When you're talking north of $40K looks alone are getting the customer to your door.

I like the look of the new Accord, especially the coupe. Hopefully this translates to an attractive TL(X).
Old 09-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dwest1023
you are asking why and i say why not. When a company delivers a product, it's in there best interest to keep the consumers happy. Many people have left acura and gone to other car brands,not because of styling but because of performance.

yes the tl out performs other cars in its league and im aware of that. This is just for those who dont feel like a 300 v6 is enough anymore. Definitely not bashing the car...
Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Summer is Coming

I think Acura needs to offer the TLX with a variety of engine choices. If not they leave their buyers to choose between a small and underpowered ILX and a 300+ hp TL replacement. In effect eliminating the segment that wanted a TSX. So I'm hoping that like the Accord they will offer the new TLX with a 4cyl and 6cyl option. This will provide a choice for TSX and TL customers. Personnaly I don't need 300+ hp. I spend most of my commute going from red light to red light. I'd just like to do it with some style.
ctsport (03-30-2013)
Old 09-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I think by Acura simply adding direct injection, but leaving the displacement where it is will be sufficient. The feature department is where the game needs to be stepped up. In this class, as an example power trunk, power adjustable steering column, auto wipers and multi-contour seats are not out of the question as options. No offense to Type-S owners, but Acura needs to seriously provide a legitimate performance variant to the ILX and TL. But, the fact that they are not concerned with the HP wars going on puts a hard limitation on that. I know Acura is not shooting for Tier 1, but they should take some note from BMW, MB and Audi with respect to their performance offerings. It appears that Infiniti and Lexus already have.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by silverrevlis
I think by Acura simply adding direct injection, but leaving the displacement where it is will be sufficient. The feature department is where the game needs to be stepped up. In this class, as an example power trunk, power adjustable steering column, auto wipers and multi-contour seats are not out of the question as options. No offense to Type-S owners, but Acura needs to seriously provide a legitimate performance variant to the ILX and TL. But, the fact that they are not concerned with the HP wars going on puts a hard limitation on that. I know Acura is not shooting for Tier 1, but they should take some note from BMW, MB and Audi with respect to their performance offerings. It appears that Infiniti and Lexus already have.
Probably easier to work with the ILX and upgrade it's engine choice for performance tastes since it is possibly Acura's best looking exterior design. Look for that next year depending on the final sales figures which we will all be keeping a close eye on, no question!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

We already know the new engine is a direct injection 3.5L making 310hp (RLX official press release).

Interestingly enough, there will be a FWD RL again with the offering.

I maintain the TSX goes away and the TSX/TL become the mid car, the ILX (Civic) remains the entry and the RLX returns to flagship status.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
More torque and less weight...
Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
I'm really digging the '13 Accord Coupe - if they fail on the TL, that's the direction I'm heading
Old 09-25-2012, 01:19 AM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
We already know the new engine is a direct injection 3.5L making 310hp (RLX official press release).

Interestingly enough, there will be a FWD RL again with the offering.

I maintain the TSX goes away and the TSX/TL become the mid car, the ILX (Civic) remains the entry and the RLX returns to flagship status.
I'm really interested in knowing how well the 310hp FWD RL sedan will handle.

Currently the FWD hp limit is around 290hp while still maintaining good handling capability.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Good point. I'd be very surprised to see Honda offer the FWD RL in a 4 cylinder configuration, but maybe they'll have a 3.0L direct inject for the FF making 280hp or something ?

The RLX (sadly) seems to be the most interesting thing in the Acura cookbook right now, aside from the (unattainable for the normal guy) NSX and swirling rumors of a baby NSX.

Rumor mill surprisingly quiet about the TLX, and with a mid/late 13 release as a 2014, you'd think there'd be some sketches floating about for a prototype to display going into big auto-show season in January/February.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
According to leftlanenews.com Acura will be announcing the features on its future lineup when they introduce the new RLX at the LA auto show in November. Hopefully that includes the 2014 TLX. Other than that, anything else is just speculation and wishful thinking. But I also think it's not far-fetched to take the features of the new Accord and kick them up a notch for the TLX.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Love living by the ocean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you guys think the 2014 tlx will be cheaper as well? Such as the previous TLs or maybe priced around the same as the tsx is now? or do you think it will start at 36k?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I highly doubt the price will go down. Depending on what new features they add, it will increase; but no one can really say by how much unless they are a Honda/Acura insider.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Never know what they're going to pull. The 1G to 2G was a huge upgrade in power and features and the 2G sold cheaper. The 2G to 3G was a big tech bump and minor price bump. The 3G to 4G - not much change except AWD and more money.

The current Accord is getting way more tech for less money than the prior gen, but they skimped on the suspension to save costs.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Pro

Never know what they're going to pull. The 1G to 2G was a huge upgrade in power and features and the 2G sold cheaper. The 2G to 3G was a big tech bump and minor price bump. The 3G to 4G - not much change except AWD and more money.

The current Accord is getting way more tech for less money than the prior gen, but they skimped on the suspension to save costs.

You seem to have a good idea about the car industry,could you give me a reason as to why acura refuse to move up to the v8 world?

IMO instead of trying to accommodate to the cross over consumer(zdx owners) they should have focused more on power and performance for the car line they had. Hyundai came out with the genesis to compete with the g coupes of infinti and acura still has not even attempted to drop a decent coupe....thxs
Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Rameel Isaac
Do you guys think the 2014 tlx will be cheaper as well? Such as the previous TLs or maybe priced around the same as the tsx is now? or do you think it will start at 36k?
I think if Acura were smart they would offer a 4cyl Earth Dreams TLX which would offer buyers the luxury they want at a lower price point than the V6 TL and better fuel economy. Something to fill the gap between the ILX and the V6 TL(X). Not everyone wants or needs the V6. I think if they did this they would sell well. Offer a 4cyl, 6cyl, and hybrid TLX, but don't dumb down the feature set just because someone only needs 4 cyls.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 AM
2G TLX-S

Historically, prices have always gone up for each new generation of TL models.

So, it is highly likely that there will be another bump up in MSRP for the upcoming 5G TL sedans.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I think if Acura were smart they would offer a 4cyl Earth Dreams TLX which would offer buyers the luxury they want at a lower price point than the V6 TL and better fuel economy. Something to fill the gap between the ILX and the V6 TL(X). Not everyone wants or needs the V6. I think if they did this they would sell well. Offer a 4cyl, 6cyl, and hybrid TLX, but don't dumb down the feature set just because someone only needs 4 cyls.
I am in the of not wanting or needing a V6. My next car will be a 4cyl that uses regular unleaded. So as of now, it looks like my next car will not be an Acura or any other luxury car for this reason. Time to start weighing my options.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aspecallday
You seem to have a good idea about the car industry,could you give me a reason as to why acura refuse to move up to the v8 world?

IMO instead of trying to accommodate to the cross over consumer(zdx owners) they should have focused more on power and performance for the car line they had. Hyundai came out with the genesis to compete with the g coupes of infinti and acura still has not even attempted to drop a decent coupe....thxs
Cost really. Nissan's VQ engine is as long in the tooth as the J motor is. It's tried and true, they use it in everything, it makes manufacturing sense.

Honda going V8 would have VERY limited application and therefore have VERY high cost passed along to the customer. It would be nice, but it just isn't going to happen.

Instead they focus effort on hybrid tech presently, which I'm not crazy about, but basically you're going to end up with a 310 hp TL/RL with as many as 3 40hp electric motors added to it for a total yield of 430hp potentially.

Acura tried the coupe thing for 2 generations with the CL, which I've owned 2 of and both were fantastic cars, but they were a bust as far as the market was concerned. It was a niche US/Canada only car with no future and direct competition with the Accord coupe.

We know the next NSX is coming, and lots of talk of a "baby" NSX that might fill the void of a G37 type competitor for 50-60k.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Cost really. Nissan's VQ engine is as long in the tooth as the J motor is. It's tried and true, they use it in everything, it makes manufacturing sense.

Honda going V8 would have VERY limited application and therefore have VERY high cost passed along to the customer. It would be nice, but it just isn't going to happen.

Instead they focus effort on hybrid tech presently, which I'm not crazy about, but basically you're going to end up with a 310 hp TL/RL with as many as 3 40hp electric motors added to it for a total yield of 430hp potentially.

Acura tried the coupe thing for 2 generations with the CL, which I've owned 2 of and both were fantastic cars, but they were a bust as far as the market was concerned. It was a niche US/Canada only car with no future and direct competition with the Accord coupe.

We know the next NSX is coming, and lots of talk of a "baby" NSX that might fill the void of a G37 type competitor for 50-60k.
The CL failed because it lacked the looks of the g35 and was FWD.

Allow me to put my speculation in the pot.
Im willing to bet a detuned reversed-NSX powertrain that is offered in the RL will come in the TL-Sh-AWD and this will be a big performance gain.

They will still offer a FWD TL with the earth dreams 3L thats in the Accord and offer a 4 cylinder FWD for those looking to buy a gussied up accord.

All new models are required to have LED running lights by federal mandate so you can bet on that.

Wheels will be 17 standard on the FWD models and 18 standard on SH-AWD models with optional 19's.

Front and rear overhangs will be decreased by 2-3 inches overall and the front grill will be smaller and better embedded into the headlights.

Front fender hump will be gone for a new wider rear track and the transmission will be 6AT for all vehicles/CVT for the 4 cyl, 6mt for SH-AWD.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by phee
The CL failed because it lacked the looks of the g35 and was FWD.
So a car that Acura started selling in 1996, and quit making in 2003 failed because of a car that Nissan started making in 2003?

The 2G CL got a bad rap in a niche market because of the transmission issues.

The 1G CL was an overpriced Prelude in the eyes of the enthusiast, and an under featured / under powered FWD 3 series / Lexus SC competitor in luxury circles.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Pro

THXS FOR THE RESPONSE

I hope you are right about the baby nsx.I know many people who have left honda/acura because of the lack of power. (IMO) You just get use to the power "V6" engines have to offer. Other auto makers focus on coming out with hybrids but never forget about adding hp to there newer models. There aren't many upgrades available for the 4g power wise and its been four years now.... smh

Quick Reply: Credible 5G TL Rumours Anyone?