Considering a 2012 TL or 2014 Accord - Looking for input from both crowds

Old 08-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering a 2012 TL or 2014 Accord - Looking for input from both crowds

As a former owner of an 04 TL (wife got into an accident ), I have always loved the car. I'll give you a little insight to my situation.

I currently own a tuned 07 335i and I absolutely love the car. The only reason I am planning to sell it is that the maintenance is so darn expensive! I am currently working towards having no debt at all but I truly feel that borrowing a few grand would be cheaper than the maintenance on the 335 at this point.

I looked at many options including the Accord, Sonata, Ultima, Maxima, and G37 but have really narrowed it down to a brand new EX-L V6 Accord (28k) or a used TL at around 26-27k.

I love that the TL is sportier and looks quite a bit nicer inside and out, but the fact that a 2012 would be close to the warranty expiring (if not already expired) concerns me when compared to the Accord. It doesn't seem like the 4th gen has too many looming issues especially if you stick with the FWD.

Technology is pretty important to me and bluetooth streaming is an absolute must. Other than that, the rest is just nice to have.

What are your thoughts. Yes, I know I am asking a TL crowd, but I want to see your feedback.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
tech in a 2014 accord is ahead of 2012 tl if that is what is important to u. if you are shopping only fwd i would go with the accord.

the tl imo is a different breed completely in the awd form. obviously if you are looking for awd tl is your only option
Old 08-31-2014, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by NNatic
As a former owner of an 04 TL (wife got into an accident ), I have always loved the car. I'll give you a little insight to my situation.

I currently own a tuned 07 335i and I absolutely love the car. The only reason I am planning to sell it is that the maintenance is so darn expensive! I am currently working towards having no debt at all but I truly feel that borrowing a few grand would be cheaper than the maintenance on the 335 at this point.

I looked at many options including the Accord, Sonata, Ultima, Maxima, and G37 but have really narrowed it down to a brand new EX-L V6 Accord (28k) or a used TL at around 26-27k.

I love that the TL is sportier and looks quite a bit nicer inside and out, but the fact that a 2012 would be close to the warranty expiring (if not already expired) concerns me when compared to the Accord. It doesn't seem like the 4th gen has too many looming issues especially if you stick with the FWD.

Technology is pretty important to me and bluetooth streaming is an absolute must. Other than that, the rest is just nice to have.

What are your thoughts. Yes, I know I am asking a TL crowd, but I want to see your feedback.
If you don't care about the SH-AWD then I suggest you go for the Accord.

With the accord you get the same J-series engine except you'll be saving on gas because it drinks regular octane.

You may be disappointed by the Accord's handling dynamics especially given the fact that you're used to BMW handling.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:37 PM
Advanced

Reading about oil consumption and tranny issues have me concerned about the AWD. I don't want to get into another maintenance situation.

As far as tech goes in the accord, it had the lane departure sound (if no turn signal is used it will chirp at you). There is also a camera when you activate the right turn signal. Other than that it is not overly technical. Is there anything specifically that you feel that accord has over the TL?

I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have one of each in my garage right now, sort of. I have a 4 cyl 2013 accord and an 11 TL. Both fine cars, accord has pandora built in, Lanewatch is nice. Fuel is better for obvious reasons but I like driving the TL more. If you get the auto V6 you get VCM with it which some people don't like. The connection for the Pandora is glitchy gets stuck and won't play, TL never does that.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM
Advanced

Am I wrong on the AWD concern? I would love the SH - I was envious as hell of the SH when I bought my Prelude back in the day!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Am I wrong on the AWD concern? I would love the SH - I was envious as hell of the SH when I bought my Prelude back in the day!
The only two issues with the AWD model that I am aware of are (1) the torque converter software problem (some people incorrectly refer to it as "Transmission problem") and (2) the prop shaft bearing problem. Furthermore, I believe the torque converters only fail on the 09-11 models provided that the software was not updated.

Down the road, you may have to drop around $1200 to replace the propeller shaft if the bearing goes bad but that should be the only expected major repair.

Engine oil consumption is also reported on the 3.7s. Some cars burn more than others. My experience has been positive - my 09 TL AWD burns less than my 04 Accord 4 cyl. did.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:27 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Accord interior is a lot more relaxing where the seats are wider, the surrounding is more airy, and the rear seats fold for cargo. Suspension on the Accord is also a lot more forgiving [comparing my 13' TL 6MT vs my parent's 13' 4cyl EX-L]. For me, I felt that my $10k in price difference is well justified, for my parents, they felt that their $10k and their backs are well saved. To be fair though, my 6MT TL is a daily 10+10 miles itch relief commuter, for regular highway driving of anything more than 30 miles, I'd pick Accord myself.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:36 PM
Advanced

would that be officially considered a powertrain repair - obviously I am looking at the warranty side of things?
Old 08-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Instructor

would that be officially considered a powertrain repair - obviously I am looking at the warranty side of things?
The prop shaft will be covered under warranty but you would have to convince the dealership techs that the bearing is gone. Even though a bad bearing would make a noticeable whistling sound, dealerships have frequently denied replacement and instead came up with a load of BS excuses for the sound. So keep that in mind. Some people here have had to go through a lot to get their prop shafts replaced under warranty.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:01 AM
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 140 Posts
I have a 2012 SH-AWD TL and a 2013 Accord V-6. You cannot go wrong with either-they are both excellent. No problems or issues with VCM on the Accord and the gas mileage is outstanding. The TL is a beast and has a more planted ride. You should test drive both to see the differences but again you will be happy with either choice.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
I would go for a brand new Accord Touring. It can be had for not much more than what you would pay for the EXL V6.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Accord is a nice car, no doubt. But everyone and their grandma has one. Too many salespeople and executives get them for free, for me to want to pay full price for one. And too many grandmas driving them to church.

If you are looking strictly for reliability from point a to point b, then get the Accord ... or Sonata, or Camry.

If you want a something with a much better interior, great handling, and there aren't 15 of them in your sub division, get the Acura.

I test drove the FWD TL and the AWD, and much preferred the smoother ride of the FWD TL on our crap roads. If you have smooth roads in your area, the 18" rims on the AWD won't affect the ride as much.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by morgan1819
Accord is a nice car, no doubt. But everyone and their grandma has one. Too many salespeople and executives get them for free, for me to want to pay full price for one. And too many grandmas driving them to church.

If you are looking strictly for reliability from point a to point b, then get the Accord ... or Sonata, or Camry.

If you want a something with a much better interior, great handling, and there aren't 15 of them in your sub division, get the Acura.

I test drove the FWD TL and the AWD, and much preferred the smoother ride of the FWD TL on our crap roads. If you have smooth roads in your area, the 18" rims on the AWD won't affect the ride as much.
Since you put it that way, you are absolutely right about the Accord and everyone having them. I was just on the highway for no more than 10 miles and I swear I must've driven pass about 9 Accords, 7th, 8th, and 9th Generations, but mostly the newer 9th Generation. That is one of the things I like about my ZDX. I can go months, sometimes up to a year without seeing another one like it. Although the 4G TL is not as plentiful as the Accord, I am starting to see a lot more of them on the road, especially the 09-11's with the big beak.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
Go with the accord, I looked at them last week and it was a loaded model with the V6. It has more options than the TL and has options in it the RLX doesn't have. It drove very nice as well and if I would have known these things I would have passed on my TL.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brock79
Go with the accord, I looked at them last week and it was a loaded model with the V6. It has more options than the TL and has options in it the RLX doesn't have. It drove very nice as well and if I would have known these things I would have passed on my TL.
specifically what do you like better about the accord? I cant think of any tech that I wish the TL had, but honestly, I dont know the TL's features that well.

The camera for lane changes doesnt mean much to me. Bluetooth streaming is a must and so is keyless entry / start without putting the key in the dash which are on both cars Im concidering.

The TL has a backup camera i believe which is nice. The accord has the lane departure but i think i would hate it more than like it.

Anything else I am missing? It may just come down to whether i can part with the extra money. As the days go on, i am seeing that i would want to spend a little more on the TL. I dont want a car with no warranty as that is the reason i am getting rid of the 335i. I know maint is cheaper, but if i am spending money, then I should be sure to not have to worry about warranty for a little while.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Advanced

If you are looking for a car that everyone else has, to use as a commuter, and to fit in with everyone else, get the Accord. It's a nice car. It's stiff competition for Sonata, Camry, Optima, Passat.

If you want a car that competes with BMW 530xi's, Mercedes 350's, Infiniti G37's, then get an Acura TL.

See the difference?
The following users liked this post:
ressling (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Burning Brakes

specifically what do you like better about the accord? I cant think of any tech that I wish the TL had, but honestly, I dont know the TL's features that well.

The camera for lane changes doesnt mean much to me. Bluetooth streaming is a must and so is keyless entry / start without putting the key in the dash which are on both cars Im concidering.

The TL has a backup camera i believe which is nice. The accord has the lane departure but i think i would hate it more than like it.

Anything else I am missing? It may just come down to whether i can part with the extra money. As the days go on, i am seeing that i would want to spend a little more on the TL. I dont want a car with no warranty as that is the reason i am getting rid of the 335i. I know maint is cheaper, but if i am spending money, then I should be sure to not have to worry about warranty for a little while.
Better Tech in the Accord, has the keyless entry and push button start. Bluetooth streaming, which the TL doesn't have. The LDW can be turned off, but not the frontal impact sensor, which the TL has neither. Touch screen in the Accord and a few more options with the radio system. Backup camera is included with the Accord at the level you're looking at with the the backup sensors included, they beep when you get to close to something. Same engine as the 12 TL and drives just as good. Go look at one and decide for yourself. If I were to do it again I would buy the Accord.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:17 AM
rock the block

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Brock79
Better Tech in the Accord, has the keyless entry and push button start. Bluetooth streaming, which the TL doesn't have.
My TL does all these things, what are you talking about?
Ken1997TL (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Advanced

I just saw in another thread where he is suing Acura because of a paint issue with his TL.

Soooooo, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is some hate for the TL there...

Originally Posted by lift3d_
My TL does all these things, what are you talking about?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Test drive both and see which one you think drives better consider you are coming from 335. Both have very similar tech. On the TL make sure you get the ones with technology pkg to get the fancier tech you mentioned you need.

Also, have you looked at the 4 cylinder TLX? It looks like its getting positive reviews and start just over $30k and you'll have full warranty with nice updated tech.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:33 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Altho personally, I am not too thrilled on the Accord's interior, I think it is a fair comparison with the TL FWD. The Accord does have the touch screen and blind spot camera which I think is pretty cool and does not exist on the 4G TL. Not to mention, any features that Accord does not have can be compensated in the lower MSRP of the Accord. Not sure how much they are discounting the 4G TL FWD these days but this discount may upset things as well.

At the end of the day, I would take whichever is cheaper.
However... SH-AWD.... just a different beast altogether. I would take the SH-AWD over the Accord any day of the week.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:39 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

^ Oh wait.... just saw the title... 2012 TL vs 2014 Accord
Nothing wrong with buying a used car but just personally, not a being fan of a used car, I would take the 2014 Accord.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
It's a no-brainer if you're looking for best overall financial ROI. The new Accords are great long-lasting economy sedans. But then again it all depends on what you want.

I get compliments on my 2012 TL SH-AWD all the time, but I bought it used and it still cost me basically as much as a new Accord, and that's with approximately 50k on the odometer

Everyone's situation is different. Since I drive about 75 miles a week, it was no sweat off my back shelling out for something a little more luxurious that was well-cared for (CPO), even if the mileage was high for the model year.

Name:  photo11_zpsb0e1c4a2.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  151.7 KB

Name:  image_zps9de01cd4.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  95.0 KB

Last edited by ressling; 09-03-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added Prelude pic
Old 09-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I considered the same cars as you and this past Easter I went with a used 2012 SH-AWD TL with approx 20,000 miles. The main deciding factor for me was the AWD as I live in Canada and the superior handling AWD in the bad weather and winter road conditions meant everything. After I bought the car I found out that the previous owner had bought the extended warranty (7 years or 135,000 kms) and that it transferred to me as the new owner, so that was a big bonus. If you're in a warm US climate the weather factor may not matter. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Toyota

Buy any Toyota I heard the acceleration is great if you want to die.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ressling
It's a no-brainer if you're looking for best overall financial ROI. The new Accords are great long-lasting economy sedans. But then again it all depends on what you want.

I get compliments on my 2012 TL SH-AWD all the time, but I bought it used and it still cost me basically as much as a new Accord, and that's with approximately 50k on the odometer

Everyone's situation is different. Since I drive about 75 miles a week, it was no sweat off my back shelling out for something a little more luxurious that was well-cared for (CPO), even if the mileage was high for the model year.

Nice TL
ressling (09-04-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
So I had a 2012 TL SH-AWD Elite/Advance and loved it. Great car and fun as hell to drive. Quick, luxurious and cornered like it was on rails. So much fun.

Sold it earlier this year as I got a company car (2014 Accord Sport 4 cyl). Loved the look of the Sport but just never loved the sewing machine engine and lack of features. It was simply a mode of transportation to get me from point a to point b.

Switched jobs and gave back the Accord so I just picked up a brand new 2014 Nissan Altima 3.5SL. Tons of features, more tech than the 2012 Acura and pretty darn quick to boot. The dealer offered it at cost plus a big rebate from the manufacturer - price was too good to pass up.

Time will tell if I like the Altima as I've always been a Honda guy. I've only had it a week and I like it so far - but it doesn't drive like the SH-AWD, nor would I expect it to. I've got more compliments on it in a week than I got on my TL in a year and a half - go figure.

If you drive a tuned 335, I would worry the FWD TL or Accord V6 will bore you. The SH AWD will be a fun reliable ride that will make you look forward to your commute.

Good luck.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Advanced

I think my Grandmother is selling her Accord, if you are interested. Her and her friends get new ones every year.
jrican1219 (09-04-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Don't mean to hijack, but here's a pic of my new ride seeing it was one of the vehicles you did consider...

Name:  Altima11_zps90f64d75.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  104.0 KB
Old 09-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by C8N
^ Oh wait.... just saw the title... 2012 TL vs 2014 Accord
Nothing wrong with buying a used car but just personally, not a being fan of a used car, I would take the 2014 Accord.
unfortunately there arent any more new TL's I called around yesterday to see if they existed but they are unfortunately long gone. Its TLX if you want new, but the v6 is 35k+ which I dont want to do .

I was thinking of the ultima, but the issues with the tranny have concerned me. The CVT's seem to have a number of issues - all of which the dealer is owning up to. I have come to terms that the car wont be as fast as the 335 (it was tuned and being a twin turbo MAN was it nice!!!!) and wont feel like it. I just dont want to afford the maintenance any longer.

Last edited by jrican1219; 09-04-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Advanced

I drove Nissan's for 12 consecutive years. My first was a 1997 Maxima GLE, which is still my all time favorite car. Fast for it's day, butter smooth, and never had a squeek or rattle, ever. The quality of the interior was ridiculously good for the money. Those were the days. Looks were polarizing, but it was sharp in black.

The Altima is a sharp car. Like most people, I can't get myself to find much enjoyment out of the CVT. But, that is just a preference thing only.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:23 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

The CVT's seem to have a number of issues - all of which the dealer is owning up to.
Not a fan of CVT's either but I hear that Nissan is providing 10yr/120k mile warranty on the CVT's due to the issues.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
FWD - stick with the new Accord model - the tech is better than the outgoing TL. However the TL looks better (subjective, but I love my '12 SH-AWD)

SH-AWD - the TL is an ANIMAL! No comparing the two, they shouldn't be called the same car. It won't have the straight line grunt of your Bimmer, but if you like curves you'd be hard pressed to beat the feeling

As for your concerns with a used TL, I can tell you I bought my '12 new in Oct. 11. The only issue was the propellor shaft fixed under warranty. I believe its part of the drive train warranty, so you should be covered for a long time. Also, if you're looking to finance talk to your local credit union. You'll probably get a way better interest rate than the dealer, as well as most of them offer their own warranty programs on used cars for reasonable cost. We just bought a 2010 MDX Tech for the better half, got 1.3% from our local credit union, and a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty for $900 that's refundable if not used.

Good luck with your decision, either car should last you a LOOOOONG time
Old 09-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
FWD - stick with the new Accord model - the tech is better than the outgoing TL. However the TL looks better (subjective, but I love my '12 SH-AWD)

SH-AWD - the TL is an ANIMAL! No comparing the two, they shouldn't be called the same car. It won't have the straight line grunt of your Bimmer, but if you like curves you'd be hard pressed to beat the feeling

As for your concerns with a used TL, I can tell you I bought my '12 new in Oct. 11. The only issue was the propellor shaft fixed under warranty. I believe its part of the drive train warranty, so you should be covered for a long time. Also, if you're looking to finance talk to your local credit union. You'll probably get a way better interest rate than the dealer, as well as most of them offer their own warranty programs on used cars for reasonable cost. We just bought a 2010 MDX Tech for the better half, got 1.3% from our local credit union, and a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty for $900 that's refundable if not used.

Good luck with your decision, either car should last you a LOOOOONG time
thanks! I love that they are owning up to the propeller shaft issue with the warranty, but I am equally as concerned about oil consumption as that seems to be equally as common. I had this with the Prelude I had as well

Anyone had them warranty the engine for consumption?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by morgan1819
I just saw in another thread where he is suing Acura because of a paint issue with his TL.

Soooooo, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is some hate for the TL there...
Considering they are both Hondas and a few of the Honda models had recalls for the same issue, your comment is ridiculous. I'm using Acura/Honda because my car went in for repaint on May 27th and it is now September 4th and I still have a loaner. Let that sink into your brain for a few minutes and tell me why it takes over 3 months to repaint a car.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C8N
Not a fan of CVT's either but I hear that Nissan is providing 10yr/120k mile warranty on the CVT's due to the issues.
My GF has a 10 year 150k warranty on her CVT, on her Maxima.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe the Accord uses mcpherson struts as opposed to the offset double wishbone suspension on the TL at least they did on the 2012 when I was looking at them. The offset double wishbone handles better IMO.

As far as warranty you should be able to find one for bumper to bumper up to 120K for around $1200 at least that was on a new one not sure of the policy of one with miles on it.

Last edited by Grateful Laz; 09-04-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:19 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hate to bring up an old thread like this, but I figured that was better than starting my own thread with the exact same question (well 2015 accord specifically). I've done test drives of a few base 2012 TL's with the tech package, and I liked how the leather seats felt and were supportive and how the car drove as a whole. I however was not as impressed with the tech included, specifically the lack of touch screen and dated looking display.

From reading the replies here it sounds as if I need to include the accord on my test drive list, but would like to get a feel for the driving differences others have observed. Is the accord EX-l leather the same quality as found in the TL? Is the accord generally a softer ride compared to the TL's suspension, or is it firmer? Does the accord's more advanced tech actually work as designed (i.e. does it pair correctly to phones, do voice commands work)?

It would be awesome (from a consumer perspective anyway, Acura can't be too thrilled) if the accord has caught up with the TL in all the ways that really matter, sans navigation which I'm willing to give up.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I agree that the Tech is a lagging in the 2012 TL, and that is where the TLX did a good job at catching up but the TL is in my opinion, one of the best driving car Acura has ever made!! I so miss my TL....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering a 2012 TL or 2014 Accord - Looking for input from both crowds