Clear Bra

Old 03-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Question Clear Bra

Has anyone opted for the Clear Bra? If so, how do you like it and what did you pay for it? Considering it, but concerned about cost and how it holds up over time.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:35 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I wouldn't get it done at the stealership. But, I'd definitely consider getting it done if I could swing it.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD ADVANCE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had it done on the last 3 TLs I have owned. However, I think I am not going with it on the 2012. I just do not like the way it holds up over time.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been considering one. Could you elaborate on why it doesn't hold up?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:12 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD ADVANCE

Originally Posted by deeblew
I've been considering one. Could you elaborate on why it doesn't hold up?
I think it protects the paint like it should, but in my experience, it starts to look bad after a year of being washed and exposed to the elements and takes away from the overall cosmetic finish of the car.

Just my opinion. :-)
Old 03-28-2011, 06:23 AM
10th Gear

I had mine done. I believe they used 3m. It has lifetime warranty against yellowing or peeling. I had the front end done up to about a third up the hood, also had them do under the door handles and they followed the curve of the door handle pocket, mirrors, headlights, foglights. I believe it was about 800 for everything. They werent the cheapest but they did an excellent job. The key to maintaining is to use a spray wax on it. Dont use a spray wax that has a blue or purple tint to it or it can pick up that color. Clearbras are excellent protection, I used to have one on my NSX. The drawback is that yes they are slightly noticeable especially on dark colors. But if you use the freeway a lot the will definitely help in the long run if you plan on keepig the car a while. When you wax the rest of the car use some blue tape along the edge of the clearbra to keep wax away from it or it will definitely make the clearbra more noticeable.

Last edited by helijoe; 03-28-2011 at 06:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ucf_bronco (09-14-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Thought about it, laughed about it & forgot about it. My son has the 3M on his '08 Lex IS. To me it's fairly noticeable and therefore (in my opinion) detracts from the appearance.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
This is actually the first car I had it installed on. Had the front bumper cover done along with the painted beak and the pcs just above each headlight. Basically following the body lines. Did not do the hood or mirrors. IMO no need to and I hate the look of the line running across the hood.
Had it done by a shop who has done other work for me and they charged me $350. Another shop wanted $700. Have had it on the car for 14 months and still looks good and is holding up well. With the abuse front bumper covers take and all the chips, I think it's well worth the investment. I know people say just get it repainted, but I don't like repainting sections of a car because that is noticable and makes the car look like it was hit.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by helijoe
The drawback is that yes they are slightly noticeable especially on dark colors. But if you use the freeway a lot the will definitely help in the long run if you plan on keepig the car a while. When you wax the rest of the car use some blue tape along the edge of the clearbra to keep wax away from it or it will definitely make the clearbra more noticeable.
Now I would have thought the opposite? I would think on a dark car as long as you kept the wax away from the lines it would be less noticeable.
I do think on light colored cars it changes the tint of the color in that area so you could see a slite difference in the shade of that area?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go here to see detailed pics of my clear bra:
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-photograph-gallery-296/professional-photo-shoot-2011-pmm-tl-sh-awd-tech-sport-grill-clear-bra-810608/

A clear bra is definitely more noticeable on a light car (like white) than on a dark car (like black or gray). My previous car was white and the clear bra held up nicely for years. On my PMM TL, nobody knows the clear bra is installed unless you specifically point it out.

It is important that you maintain your clear bra by using a wax designed especially for clear bra film (paint protection film). It's also important that you wash the clear bra just like you wash the car.

Thus, my recommendation is to invest in the clear bra. You're front end will look as good as when you drove out of the dealership, even if your car is 5+ years old.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
Has anyone opted for the Clear Bra? If so, how do you like it and what did you pay for it? Considering it, but concerned about cost and how it holds up over time.
No, but I had an ex-girlfriend who wore a clear bra! Some like them and some don't. Here are a few things to keep in consideration.

Depending on the color of the car, the lines will show.

Don't skimp on the quality of the material- there is good and bad

You will lose some of the shine where it's placed compared to the factory finish.

It's not cheap to remove down the road a few years.

Some love it and some hate it. Some would rather go without it as I did.

Good luck with your final choice!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme
No, but I had an ex-girlfriend who wore a clear bra!
Whats next ....
Clear panties for your rear end ???
Old 03-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Thanks to all for your input. I think I'll pass on the Clear Bra.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I have clear bra on both my 09 TL and 2006 Miata. I would not drive a car without one. On the Tl most people I tell about it, cannot even tell its there unless I point it out. My car is dark colored so the might be why its so stealthy looking. As far as it holding up, I cannot say for the average person. I am very anal about my cars and they stay covered, even the times I take it to work( I ride a bicycle). They guy that did my Tl did a fabulous job,and there is not one air bubble anywhere. I even have a hard time seeing it. I believe I paid $550 , which included hood, bumper, mirrors, and door edges. The job was so good I tip the guy $50. Not sure if this will help you or not, everyone has there opinion, but I can tell you not many people are as touchy about cars as me. My bra and car looks the day as new.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have one on my 2010 TL and 2011 MDX. The key is to get the 3M clearbra and not the other brands. 3M stands behind their product and even pays their installers if they have to fix something due to product failure. The other key is to find a great installer, its not an easy process to install so I rec'd finding someone who only does clearbras and has been in business for a few years. Avoid detailers, tint shops etc that also do clearbras.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
New Technology

I researched the internet as well as installers. Hands down the best stuff on the market is the new stuff from avery-dennison called NanoFusion. Its the most pliable material, which makes it much easier to work with. The only downside is that there isn't "real-time" aging data available. Put it on my 2009 TL.

Do your research before you buy something you're gonna regret. All of the clear bra manufacturers, including the 3M material, have an "orange peel" effect. Plus they yellow and fade after several years of exposure and they are made with very old technology.

Avery-Dennison offers a lifetime warranty on their product including cost of reinstallation! I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't like it. It's also cutting edge technology.

All of the clear bras are made of two layers compressed together to make the film.

The nanofusion is actually "fused" together into one layer to make the film.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 3M Clear Bra installed on my '09 CBP TL the day after I picked it up. On the plus side it does a fantastic job of protecting the front end from road rash. I have seen and heard things bounce off that would have taken paint had the Clear Bra not been there. On the negative side no matter how I wax the Clear Bra is just never as shiny as the Acura paint. So the thing is noticeable. People often ask me what the scratch is from. When I point out that it is the Clear Bra they are amazed. It's a toss-up as to whether I would do it again or not.